Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,258 members, 7,953,983 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:19 AM

Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. (7804 Views)

Poll: Is THis A Good Move?

Yes: 72% (50 votes)
No: 27% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

Gov. Amosun Controlling Traffic On Lag-ib Rd, King Sunny Ade Stops To Thank Him / Ade Adefuye Dies (Nigerian Ambassador To U.S) / SSS Parades Boko-Haram Suspects Including A University Lecturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 10:08pm On Jun 07, 2009
Why OAU appointed me music lecturer – King Sunny Ade
Saturday, June 6, 2009

This is a good piece of news and thing of pride for all musicians and fans of juju maestro, Otunba Sunday Adeniyi Adegeye aka King Sunny Ade. On Thursday May 28, 2009 the King of World Beats moved upscale, transforming from a performing musician to a university lecturer.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/6/510.html

On that day, Sunny Ade was not only made the Faculty of Arts Distinguished Fellow but also appointed as Artiste in Residence by Professor Michael Faborode, Vice Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State.

KSA says: “I dedicate the award to the music profession and to all musicians dead or alive. It was not only an award but I was appointed as a lecturer in Residence with an office of my own on the campus.”

But how would Sunny Ade earmark time for lectures in spite of his tight musical schedule? His response: “I have taken it as something I have to do. I have instructed my management to schedule time for lectures. I would lay emphasis on both theory and practical.”

Mr. Clement Ige, former journalist and consultant to Sunny Ade, said the artiste had scored a first by being made a lecturer in the premier university. “For Sunny Ade to be so honoured by a big university like OAU is a thing of joy and good news to all musicians. This is the first time OAU is appointing a professional musician as a lecturer. It is a well deserved honour considering Sunny Ade’s vast experience and exposure as a performing artiste.

He has a lot to impart in the younger ones. Now, it is mandatory that he should be going to Ife to lecture the students. For him, this is a big challenge,” he says.

On his annual world tour, Sunny Ade told Blockbuster that he’s jetting out of the country on June 10, and that the tour would take him to about 22 cities both in Canada and the United States.

“I am embarking on a world tour as from June 10. It’s not really a world tour because I am going to Canada and America while arrangements are yet to be concluded on the tour of Europe. But the good thing about this tour is that I am going to perform in 22 cities both in Canada and America. Also, I will be performing at the famous Hollywood Bowl. It will be the second time I am performing there, the first time was in the 1990s,” KSA states.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by AloyEmeka9: 10:09pm On Jun 07, 2009
If this appointment is appropriate then Michael Jackson should have been a Harvard professor by now.

1 Like

Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Pataki: 12:11am On Jun 08, 2009
Wow! I am speechless. What does it take to be a lecturer these days in our Nigerian Ivory Towers?
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Nobody: 12:24am On Jun 08, 2009
appointed as an "artiste in residence" is not the same as being a tenured lecturer or professor. Its fairly normal in the US too especially in the arts. Nothing new here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist_in_residence
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by biina: 12:38am On Jun 08, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with the appointment. It is akin to having a consulting professor.
Such appointments help bring an industry view to academia and provide needed mentoring to students.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by adconline(m): 5:49am On Jun 08, 2009
what Sunny Ade brings to the table cannot be learned from tenured professors. Its like learning business strategies from likes of Dangote,Coscharis, Otedola instead of tenured pros.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Jakumo(m): 6:01am On Jun 08, 2009
King Sunny Ade plays guitar like Picasso created paintings and sculpture, so his willingness to share some secrets of his fretboard mastery should be welcomed by music fans worldwide.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by oyinda3(f): 6:05am On Jun 08, 2009
that's really cool. saw some of his and his family's pictures from a party on facebook. gosh i would love to meet him embarassed
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 08, 2009
Is there any point appointing the maestro at his age considerin his musical (always tight) schedule.
undecided
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by oyinda3(f): 6:46am On Jun 08, 2009
why not
he's not a full time professor. he's an artiste in residence.

what lucky students
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by FBS: 7:40am On Jun 08, 2009
gbam!
Fantastic. Kudos to the man, Sunny Ade.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by LearnBook: 11:20am On Jun 08, 2009
You can't beat hands-on practical skills! Well done to him.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by deor03(m): 11:24am On Jun 08, 2009
becomrich,:

I took a course many many years ago in one of the university over here. And the lecturer was working for IBM and some were working for microsoft.

I guess, some must have been working for Google also (the earth division) grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by qkman: 11:26am On Jun 08, 2009
that'll be cool.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 08, 2009
deor03:

I guess, some must have been working for Google also (the earth division) grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin

Aloy.Emeka:

If this appointment is appropriate then Michael Jackson should have  been a Harvard professor by now.

grin grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by doshbass(m): 11:39am On Jun 08, 2009
I do not see any point of him being a lecturer for practical music, Can he read Music? It makes sense for him to come once in a while and give students lecture in his style of music and he's experience in the world music environment.

I do not consider him as a professional Musician, To be a music Teacher, you have to be able to read and play any music from a score sheet. Can KSA do this? if he can the I support his appoitment as a lecturer, if not he should be a seasoned guest lecturer

don't get me wrong he is a legend and a good artist and performer and he's one of the best in JUJU music
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by deor03(m): 11:45am On Jun 08, 2009
doshbass:

I do not see any point of him being a lecturer for practical music, Can he read Music? It makes sense for him to come once in a while and give students lecture in his style of music and he's experience in the world music environment.

I do not consider him as a professional Musician, To be a music Teacher, you have to be able to read and play any music from a score sheet. Can KSA do this? if he can the I support his appoitment as a lecturer, if not he should be a seasoned guest lecturer

don't get me wrong he is a legend and a good artist and performer and he's one of the best in JUJU music

I totally disagree with you on this. You have to look at the environment where sunny ade operates. By all standards, he is a success in what he is doing ( or has done). In Nigeria or in his catchment area ( yoruba speaking part of the world) , you don't need to be able to read music to to deliver.

Since these students are being prepared for this local market, they should also have a taste of the local success . KSA experience in the industry will be able to impact on the students future choices.

otherwise , they will end up having opera concerts with empty seats and ofcourse empty pockets in future
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Nezan(m): 11:47am On Jun 08, 2009
doshbass:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by JJYOU: 11:56am On Jun 08, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Why OAU appointed me music lecturer – King Sunny Ade
Saturday, June 6, 2009

This is a good piece of news and thing of pride for all musicians and fans of juju maestro, Otunba Sunday Adeniyi Adegeye aka King Sunny Ade. On Thursday May 28, 2009 the King of World Beats moved upscale, transforming from a performing musician to a university lecturer.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/6/510.html

On that day, Sunny Ade was not only made the Faculty of Arts Distinguished Fellow but also appointed as Artiste in Residence by Professor Michael Faborode, Vice Chancellor, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State.

KSA says: “I dedicate the award to the music profession and to all musicians dead or alive. It was not only an award but I was appointed as a lecturer in Residence with an office of my own on the campus.”

But how would Sunny Ade earmark time for lectures in spite of his tight musical schedule? His response: “I have taken it as something I have to do. I have instructed my management to schedule time for lectures. I would lay emphasis on both theory and practical.”

Mr. Clement Ige, former journalist and consultant to Sunny Ade, said the artiste had scored a first by being made a lecturer in the premier university. “For Sunny Ade to be so honoured by a big university like OAU is a thing of joy and good news to all musicians. This is the first time OAU is appointing a professional musician as a lecturer. It is a well deserved honour considering Sunny Ade’s vast experience and exposure as a performing artiste.

He has a lot to impart in the younger ones. Now, it is mandatory that he should be going to Ife to lecture the students. For him, this is a big challenge,” he says.

On his annual world tour, Sunny Ade told Blockbuster that he’s jetting out of the country on June 10, and that the tour would take him to about 22 cities both in Canada and the United States.

“I am embarking on a world tour as from June 10. It’s not really a world tour because I am going to Canada and America while arrangements are yet to be concluded on the tour of Europe. But the good thing about this tour is that I am going to perform in 22 cities both in Canada and America. Also, I will be performing at the famous Hollywood Bowl. It will be the second time I am performing there, the first time was in the 1990s,” KSA states.
knowing the follow follow mind of our people all uni will soon have  these musicians as profs
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Jarus(m): 12:00pm On Jun 08, 2009
deor03:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
u dey find BCR's trouble ooo grin grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by doshbass(m): 12:02pm On Jun 08, 2009
deor03:

I totally disagree with you on this. You have to look at the environment where sunny ade operates. By all standards, he is a success in what he is doing ( or has done). In Nigeria or in his catchment area ( yoruba speaking part of the world) , you don't need to be able to read music to to deliver.

Since these students are being prepared for this local market, they should also have a taste of the local success . KSA experience in the industry will be able to impact on the students future choices.

otherwise , they will end up having opera concerts with empty seats and ofcourse empty pockets in future

well I do not understand how Music is being taught in Nigeria, I'm a musician, and I belief as any music student in any university in the world, you have learn the basics of music which is reading and writing music, do you think its only opera music that they site read and write, Juju music can successfully be written. But most african music is about playing what you feel which is called improvisation in Music, so that is why site reading is not as important in performing. I still think that KSA can bring some experience to the university as a seasoned lecturer which means like once or twice a year but not everyday teaching
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Fimmy(m): 12:04pm On Jun 08, 2009
Michael has done it again, this doesnt make any-sense, watin concern KSA with teaching in OAU.we shall all see the end of this
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by desgiezd(m): 12:12pm On Jun 08, 2009
That appointment is good and what lucky students they are, for one to learn from the master himself is just great. They have a lot to learn from him because Sunny Ade once told an interviewer that he is always the first person to play any instrument the band buys before any other. That means he can play all the instruments and this they will learn from him as well as songs composition and DANCING STEPS.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by v3: 12:17pm On Jun 08, 2009
@Post

Errmmmm. . .are lectures gonna be in English or Yoruba??

KSA. . this is one step in the right direction. . it's good to learn from a maestro like you.

Kudos to ya
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by fizzybaba(m): 12:43pm On Jun 08, 2009
just curious, is he a graduate?
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by gReenmAn(m): 1:17pm On Jun 08, 2009
For your information[b] v3nom4eva[/b]

KSA speaks good English. I once listened to his responses during a live interview session.
(Just the way I was shocked when I listened to Gani Adams speak, I never associated him with a classroom!)

This is something good though: the prophets are beginning to get honoured in their homeland.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Redman44(m): 1:38pm On Jun 08, 2009
It is a good move by Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) authorities. KSA is going to impart some knowledge into students of music at the university. I have always advocated for this kind of knowledge transfer. It should not always be about theories, but deep practicality of skills. Many Nigerian don't know what to do with their degrees because they just read to pass exams. They never had the opportunity to put what they were taught into practice before graduating. Cheers.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by maxtop(m): 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2009
Uhm, it is a good honour but KSA said it was a pity he didnt go to the University but i am sure he will cope very well considering his vast exposure and experience. grin
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by Afam4eva(m): 3:08pm On Jun 08, 2009
gReenmAn:

For your information[b] v3nom4eva[/b]

KSA speaks good English. I once listened to his responses during a live interview session.
(Just the way I was shocked when I listened to Gani Adams speak, I never associated him with a classroom!)

This is something good though: the prophets are beginning to get honoured in their homeland.

What has speaking english got to do with the topic of discussion.
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by gReenmAn(m): 3:28pm On Jun 08, 2009
Do you forget issues broached by your good self that easily?

Errmmmm. . .are lectures gonna be in English or Yoruba??
Re: Oau Appoints Sunny Ade As A University Lecturer. by emmydee(m): 3:48pm On Jun 08, 2009
this is good news. KSA should be supported. This is a good move by OAU.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shocker For Jonathan As Crowd Walks Out At Rally / Niger Delta Will Continue To Push For Increased Derivation - Uduaghan / Akeredolu: NURTW, RTEAN Suspension Is For Two Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.