Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? (12241 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 5:36pm On Dec 19, 2015
A beautiful evening to you honourable debaters, incorruptible judges, my avid organizers, and all debate enthusiast.
It is an honour co-ordinating this exciting and enlightening educational event, thank you Fynestboi for finding me worthy to.

That said, let us now proceed to the reason why we are here.

It is called a [size=14pt]Battle of wits between schools![/size]

Yes!

As earlier indicated on the planning thread, https://www.nairaland.com/2446965/nairaland-interschool-debate-chatroom-third/15#41073706 (all enquiries should be done here please), two representatives from each school are to post essays on the motion assigned to their team which will be analysed and scored by their officiating judges. After this round, two schools shall proceed onto the next round of THE 16 INTELLECTUAL GIANTS where a winner must emerge.

SO, WHO’S GONNA BE DROPPED OUT AND WHO’S GONNA BE LET IN!?

We shall find out after this round.

I am Luxanne, the co-ordinator for Team 2 and doing this with me are the officiating judges –

Naijadeyhia
MaziOmenuko
Adeaks
Let us now meet Team 2 and what is expected of them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2015
Topic: [size=14pt]Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism. [/size]

Schools debating for the notion are:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403622_unilag_png100d6d16185642e2bcf9081b8ebcf420

The University of Lagos – Popularly known as Unilag. The University of Lagos was established on 22nd October 1962 on the authority of the University of Lagos Act of 1962. The University was established in order to achieve rapid industrialization and development after Independence as Nigeria needed to invest in the training of a professional workforce.

The Vice Chancellor of the University is - Professor Rahmon Ade Bello.

And Unilag Motto - In deed and in truth.

Join me, as I welcome the Akokites representing the University of Lagos.

FrancisTony
► Damoskiy
► Nicolars
► LARRYDKING

Also for the notion is-

[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403640_delsu-logo_jpega90ca983cf1daf5eeb8698865e4ab3c3[/img]

The Delta State University, Abraka - Popularly known as Delsu. The creation of Edo and Delta States in August 1991 and the conversion of the main campus of the then Bendel State University, Ekpoma to become Edo State University in December 1991 necessitated the establishment of an autonomous Delta State University, Abraka on 30th April 1992 by the then Executive Governor of the State, Olorogun Felix Ibru.

The Vice Chancellor of the University is Professor Victor Peretomode.

And Delsu Motto - Knowledge, Character and Service.

Also join me and welcome the Delsuites representing their institution.

Callertune
► Epaul
► Hazkel

Source: Wikipedia

Date: 27th December 2015
Time: 12noon
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 5:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
And against the notion are:

The University of Port Harcourt - Popularly known as Uniport. This is a federal university in the Nigerian city of Port Harcourt. It was established in 1975 as University College, Port Harcourt, and was given University status in 1977.

Her Vice Chancellor is Professor Ndowa Lale

And her Motto - For Enlightenment and Self-Reliance.

Join me as I also welcome the Uniport debaters representing their institution

Virus05
►Bethelbrill

Yaba College of Technology - Popularly known as Yabatech was established in 1947 as an immediate successor to Yaba Higher College. It attained autonomous status in 1969 by virtue of Decree 23 which granted it the mandate to provide full time and part-time courses of instruction and training in technology, applied science, commerce and management and in such other fields of applied learning relevant to the needs of the development of Nigeria in the areas of industrial and agricultural production and distribution; and for research in the development and adaptation of techniques. Yaba College of Technology is the first higher institution in Nigeria to establish a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, with linkages with the world of commerce and industry.

Rector: DR. M. K. LADIPO

Yabatech Motto is a latin lingua franca. From the Loughborough University motto which means Veritate, Scientia, Labore (Latin: By truth, by science, by labour), Labore et Veritate here can be inferred to mean - By Labour and By Truth.

Join me as I welcome the Yabatech debaters representing their institution.

Menzo4u
► Betacitizen

Source: Wikipedia

Date: 27th December 2015
Time: 12noon
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 6:11pm On Dec 19, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Here are the rules guiding Nairaland Interschool debate third edition Essay submission.

1.) All Participants who want to represent her citadel must declare his/her availability on this thread a day before the stipulated date for the essay submission.

2.) The recommended font size is the default size (size 8.) and the colour is the default colour (black).

3.) The essay should be in maximum of 1200 words and a minimum of 800 words.

4.) The use of SMS language and abbreviations are strictly forbidden.

5.) All materials used should be properly referenced at the end of the essay.

6.) All essays must be submitted on the stipulated date and time...
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 10:51pm On Dec 23, 2015
Please while the submission of the essay is going on, only the contestants, coordinators, Chairman and Supermods (if need be) can post.

Pls let's comply, as defaulters might attract 2 hours ban (duration of the essay submission).

You can however comment simultaneously at the planning/Chatroom thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2446965/nairaland-interschool-debate-chatroom-third/16

Thank you.

Submission starts by 12pm and ends 2:pm on Sunday .

Come and witness the mother of all e-Essay Competition on the biggest Section of the biggest online forum in Africa..

2 Likes

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
Fynestboi:
[size=15pt]To join the munificent in ensuring the participant instigation please kindly mail.. nairalandinterschooldebate@gmail.com.. [/size]

Simply put we need sponsors for THE DEBATE... THANKS..
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 7:58pm On Dec 26, 2015
Fynestboi:
Welcome.... Let meet our participants... wink
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 26, 2015
Good day, honourable adjudicators, erudite coordinators, co-debaters and fellow literati.
My name is Francis, the first debater of University of Lagos, and I am here to support the motion; Media: A panacea for global terrorism.

Global terrorism has been a problem that calls for alarm in our this day society but media has been playing a crucial role in waning off the unwelcomed gesture it presents. I am of the motion that symbiosis between global terrorism and media is not a dangerous tool but a good relation gearing to the right direction. I'll dissect and explain them in details. According to Oxford Advanced Learners dictionary, it defines Media, as the main ways which large numbers of people receive information and
entertainment, that is television, radio, newspapers and the Internet whilst Panacea, is something that will solve all the problems of a particular situation.
Ask.com, defines Global terrorism as acts of crime or violence
intended to further political of religious ideologies.
In juxtaposition, I would say that ways of disseminating information to people easily is a solution for crime or voilence.
Having written that, with advent of media such as internet platform, access to news and information of all kinds have been made easy to the masses near and far beyond; its importance can't be under-emphasized and eschewed as it brings relief to news enthusiasts patriots.
Media platform will help to curb global terrorism whereby news about terrorist activities would be covered through internet, media houses and other means of communication, to the masses for a safety measure to be implemented; a terrorist activity happening in a particular area would be known to everyone in minutes - making one not oblivious of what is happening in his environment at a crucial time - therefore limiting a humungous occurrence while armed
security forces, take full control.
Internet can be used to track down terrorists IP address, other vital information pertaining their activities while an action is taken without no much hassles which would not have been, if media was not in place as it would be burdensome monitoring movements of people you are unaware of their surreal steps.
Social medias like facebook and twitter have aided in blocking all the accounts used by terrorists group to propagate their cause which is a right move that had been carried out by the media in curbing the menace.
Social media on the other hands, equip the armed forces with necessary ammunition and arsenals to tackle the quasi-nuisance group that has bedevilled our society.

Social medias equip people with info on how to tackle terrorism. This means that through media, other countries get information about terrorist attacks easier and necessary ammunition is supplied to the affected country. Media has played a crucial role in broadcasting gory images of evil attacks perpetrated by terrorists, therefore instilling fears on lured suicidals who want to attempt the heinous act which might be against their will. Through internet, masses has been abreast of punishments metted on terrorists which goes a way in hounding anyone nurturing the thoughts of committing it. Some intelligent problem-solving minds find it easier to express
themselves on social media than oratory medium, which makes it apt for solving global terrorism through which many voices that
would have gone un-noticed without media platform will bare their
solution-solving articles for public consumption, so it won't take hours before millions of readers digest all, and a solution surfaces which is the opinion of well versed minds on solving terrorism.
Media has been serving as a platform where campaign for a right cause to tackle global terrorism is championed and possible yeilding effect is achieved as we had in Bring back our girls campaign.
Sociologists refers to it as a mediated culture in the sense that it
mediates for human communication.
It has been serving as a medium of interaction between masses and what is happening in its environment.
With the help media provides, the security agents get to know the plan strategy to reinforce their ways in tackling terrorists without much efforts. It has gone a long way in curbing the conundrum masking global terrorism.
It also brings resolute ways to get terrorism, that is, a world Television station CNN
played a crucial roles in taking Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden down.
Some of our indigenous television media helped in executing Abubukar Shekau, the leader of Boko Haram terrorist group.
Paris attack and Boko harm insurgency was known to the world through mass media, and befitting solutions were taken. It has made us to know some vital information and execution of it, is what the security agents need.
My opponent might argue that media aids terrorism through unsolicited exposure of vital information but when appropriate measure is taken to deal with culprits who violate set rules that guides use of media, it will serve as a deterrent to others.
Through media, New York Police Department established an online application known as, "See something, Send something" which aids in fighting terrorism.
It serves as medium of notification when a terrorist activity is detected.

With the above points, I hope I have been able to convince you that Media is a panacea for global terrorism.

References
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/media
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/panacea
http://marketography.com/2010/11/23/a-mediated-culture/
http://www.ask.com/government-politics/global-terrorism-7cb4f676c1f8c1fb
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/24/politics/paris-terror-attacks-nypd-investigations/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 26, 2015
Media: A Panacea For Global Terrorism  (supporting)

Good afternoon esteemed judges, distinguish coordinators, erudite co-debaters and intelligent observers. Larrydking is my name, the second debater of the university of Lagos, Nigeria and I am in support of the motion that the media is panacea for global terrorism.

To start with, it's important to familiarize ourselves with the world terrorism. Oxford advanced learner's dictionary defined terrorism to be the use of violence action in order to achieve political aims or to force government to action. Therefore, it is not out of order to explain global terrorism as 'terrorism ' as it affects the world. The same dictionary gives the meaning of media to be the ''main way'' that large number of people receive information and entertainment.

Pakistan minister of information and broadcasting, Qamar Zaman Kaira once said " the monster of terrorism cannot be wiped out from the soil of Pakistan without eliminating ignorance and changing the mindset of these people'' .Undoubtedly, the greatest amory of human weapon to battle utter ignorance and shred knowledge, both of which are key players in global terrorism is embedded in adequate and timely information. Global terrorism sprung and spread ultimately due to misinformation, misguide and wrong teaching by political warlords, religious extremist, etc who may have felt offended by government decision or indicision and as a result took terror as a means of seeking redress.

If misinformation lead into this mess called global terrorism, the most effective means to combat it thus become orientation and re-information. For umpteen times, the media has preached to the world about the danger masked in terrorism. Local and international television stations, magazines, newspapers, the internet to mention but a few have all played leading roles in advising the world on the danger hidden in terrorism. Public prosecutions and video coverages of shameful ends of terrorists across the world helps in reducing the urge for recruitment and give existing members an overview of its repercussions if eventually clasped in the act. The brutal end of Osama bin Laden, a world renowned terrorist known as one of the masterminds who wrecked  havoc on the world trading centre in the US will forever remain a deterrent to whoever shares an iota of Osama's belief and wishes to take after him.

The media, in curtailing the menace of global terrorism has contributed immensely to swift circulation and awareness of security information and threat respectively. It has also fed security agencies timely information and ideas obtained from members of the public or during journalism. Severally, the media has proven to be a panacea to global terrorism through the promulgation of pictures and videos of known terrorist across the world, thus restricting their freedom and eventually leading to their final apprehension. When the head is in disorder, by default, the entire body system malfunctions. In the same vein, when the leader of a dreadful group goes underground, the flow of intelligence among members minimizes. France notorious terrorist, Salah Abdesalam, the one who masterminded the Paris attack in his country was declared wanted through the media, he was later apprehended some days after the promulgation. Similarly, in Nigeria, a hundred boko haram kingpin were declared wanted through the media, in few days, it was reported that three of them were already behind bars. It wasn't rocket science, the media only proved it worth as a solution to global terrorism.

Oxford advanced learner's dictionary explained education to be fact, skills and ideas that have been learnt formally or informally. The adverse role lack of education plays in global terrorism cannot be overemphasised. That explains why terrorist attacks are enormous and wax stronger in education less develop countries like Somalia, Northern Nigeria, Afghanistan and so on where they suffer at large from Al Shabab, Boko Haram and Taliban respectively. Rakashada Mehmood explained terrorism to be the worse form of illiteracy when people do not have to realise the importance of innocent lives that are lost in attacks. Apparently, the media which has been the apex source of information serves as a great source of knowledge across all spheres of life accessible by all and sundry, thereby educating everyone willing to access it. This has further shown that education  doesn't end only at enrolling for a programme for the purpose of obtaining a degree but takes a large work into human psychology by mere reading of articles and pdf file.

My opponents may likely want to argue that the media has long existed and it ought to have curbed global terrorism, well, it's imperative to note that developed countries where media is at its highest efficiency such as America, Russia and co have reduced terrorism to its minimum across their boarders and have even taken it upon themselves to help other 'media developing countries' with low media appreciation. In the same vein, Somalia, Afghanistan and other countries affected may have to continue battling series of attacks until their govenment recognise and exploit the full potentials of the media as the panacea for global terrorism.

Observers, having said these, I'm confident that you are also supporters of the motion that media is a panacea for global terrorism.

Honourable judges and observers, I am of the belief that having said these, you will agree with me that the media is a panacea for global terrorism. Thank you.

REFERENCES

http://­www.oxforddictionarie­s.com/definition/­­learner/terrorism

http://­www.oxfordlearnersdic­tionaries.com/­­definition/english/­­media

http://­www.pakistantoday.com­.pk/2011/09/10/­­comment/­editors-mail/­­illiteracy-and-terro­r­ism/

http://­www.independent.co.uk­/news/world/europe/­­salah-abdeslam-11-th­i­ngs-we-know-about-­th­e-isis-paris-atta­cks­-fugitive-a67447­76.h­tml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/paris-terrorist-salah-abdeslam-worlds-most-wanted-man-arrested-report_1822583.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by menzo4u: 9:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Name: Menzo4u
School: Yaba College of Technology (Yabatech)
Topic: Media:: A panacea for global terrorism
Stance: Opposing
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by menzo4u: 9:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
“The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty, and make the guilty innocent, and that is power. Because they control the mind of the masses”-MalcomX

On this note, I use this medium to extend my humble greetings to the organisers of this great debate, the unbiased jurists, fellow debaters and the highly observant spectators. My name is menzo4u, first representative of Yaba College of Technology, Yabatech. I am opposing the topic which says as quoted, “Media: A panacea for global terrorism".

There is no gainsaying the media has taken over the globe, especially in a world where technology is fast-growing like the speed of light, such that we can now have access to any information on our palm. Before delving into details, I will like to give a comprehensive definition of the key terms in the subject of discourse.

Terrorism: According wikipedia, it is commonly defined as a violent act (or the threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, and which deliberately disregard the safety of the non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians).
Media: Wikipedia also defines media as the the collective communication outlets or tools that are used to deliver information or data. The media comes in various forms such as print media (newspapers, magazines), social media (whatsapp, twitter, facebook), and electronic media (radio, television) among others.

The question as to whether the media is a problem or a panacea (solution) for global terrorism is not a debatable one. This fact can best be established through the way the media has promoted the rise in terrorism across the globe. The main objective of terrorist organisations is to garner recognition and propagate their “gospel” to the world, and the media has been a perfect tool for them to achieve this purpose. The case study here is the Islamic State of Iraq and Levente (ISIL) and BokoHaram which make use of various online media to increase their level of global recognition by uploading various attacks they perpetrated through the use of YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook among others.

Before the current revolution of the media, particularly before the internet comes into the scene, there have been many terrorist organisations in various parts of the world, but hardly do they gain this type of global awareness and recognition as it is today. In case I start talking about some past terrorist groups like the Aryan Nations, the Orange Volunteers, Antibalaka Group, hardly can anyone know about them due to the very low media coverage they had compared to this era.

In addition, the social media in particular has been a source of recruitment for terrorists. According to a news report by Newyork Times, ISIL for instance, now has online media through which they recruit teenagers globally. A similar instance is Alex, a 23-year old American who confesses to have been lured into joining the ISIL through the “Twitter”, and many of such cases. The fibble-minded who go online are easily brainwashed and hoodwinked into various terrorist organisations around the world.

Furthermore, the media instigate violence through false publications, which eventually leads to terrorism. Some weeks ago, news broke out concerning the bombardment of the headquarters of Shi’ite Group (an Islamic Movement in Nigeria) which led to the arrest of their leader, Ibrahim Zak’zaky, before we knew it, his fake pictures showing how he had been beaten up and tortured by the Nigerian Army in a pool of blood was already circulated in the media. This singular false report has attracted various international protests from countries like Iran, India and so on. If not for the timely intelligence applied by the Federal Government of Nigeria to curb the issue, the Shi’ite followers would have been another new-born terror group by now due to the alleged toturing of their leader which the media made them believe.

Furthermore, terrorist organizations now use the online media as a channel through which they communicate with one another. A news report on dreitbart.com (2014) said, and I quote “BokoHaram receiving advice from ISIS on how to create African caliphate”. The media has made this possible for the terrorists through the use of social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, among others. This is what they term “online jihad”.

By implication, the media also make the success against winning the war against terrorism a difficult one. Since the media is not only a source of communication but also information, the terrorists have taken advantage of this to have easy access to various plans by the millitary and thereby making adjustment to their plans. For example, if not for the throughly restricted media access that the United States ensured during their intensive search for Osama Binladen, the media would have published several moves to capture him to the public domain.

In conclusion, just like MalcomX’s quote above,”…the media control the mind of the masses”. The masses is you and me, it is the teenagers who have unrestricted access to various media like Google, twitter, or Youtube to watch “interestingly”, how various terror acts are carried out across the globe, and eventually put it into practice. In my final words, I believe with the aforementioned challenges, the media is not a panacea for global terrorism. Thank you.

Reference:
Definition of terrorism by Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

Definition of Media:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_(communication)

MalcomX Quote:
http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/media.html

Dreitbart: BokoHaram and ISIS communication
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/09/10/report-boko-haram-receiving-advice-from-isis-on-how-to-create-african-caliphate/

Shiite killings:
http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00040328.html

New York Times Report
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/world/americas/isis-online-recruiting-american.html?referer=

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 9:16pm On Dec 26, 2015
Name: Betacitizen
School: Yaba College of Technology (Yabatech)
Topic: Media:: A panacea for global terrorism
Stance: Opposing
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 9:17pm On Dec 26, 2015
Good day honourable chairman, independent judges, ever-present moderators, competent coordinators, my fellow erudite debaters and my well-grounded amiable audience. I am betacitizen, the second representative of Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH). I debate to oppose the topic which says, and I quote, “Media:: A panacea for global terrorism”.

In order to give a layman explanation on the topic of debate, I find it paramount to explain and describe the key factors in the subject matter.

According to the UN Security Council Resolution (2004), terrorism is defined as criminal acts against civilians, committed with the intent to cause bodily injury, or taking of hostages with the purpose of provoking a state of terror in the general public or seeking to jeopardize national resources.
In furtherance, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), classified terrorism into two categories, namely, international terrorism and domestic terrorism. When an act of terror is committed within the territorial jurisdiction of a nation, such is “domestic terrorism”.

By inference, it can now be said that such activities like kidnapping, bombing of pipelines among other atrocities committed by the then Niger Delta militants in Nigeria, is a form of “domestic terrorism”, while that of BokoHaram Sect can be regarded as “international terrorism “ or “regional terrorism” as it is perpetrated across the nation’s territory, having countries like Cameroun, Chad et cetera involved.

Media, on the other hand, is defined by the businessdictionary online, as a communication channel through which news, entertainment, education, data, or promotional messages are disseminated. Media include every broadcasting and narrowcasting medium such as newspapers, magazines, television, radio, billboards, direct mail, telephone and the internet. From the definition above, I will like to embolden the words “promotional messages”, what kinds of messages are being promoted by the media? Is the media not promoting the message of terrorism in the present day coverage? This, I shall unarguably enlighten the audience on, in the process of this educating debate.

The issue of global terrorism has gone viral that one of the world's greatest personalities brings up an opinion about it. The former British Prime Minister, late Margaret Thatcher, said that the media coverage was nothing but an "oxygen of terrorism". She proceeded by saying that the only way to manage terrorism is to stop reporting it.
The media outlets are simply business centres hoping to make up a captivating headline in order to increase their income base. One comes to wonder, of whose benefit is it when the media report that the United State of America plans to support Nigeria in the fight against insurgency or Russia planning millitary offensive against the Islamic State of Iraq and Levente (ISIL) in Libya. Does this not indirectly tell these terrorists to prepare ahead?

Furthermore, terrorists also use the media to inform, publicise or inflence the world on their ideology for resorting to violence. This simple act has an adverse effect on most people, especially the religiously minded ones around the world. A similar instance can be found among the so called Islamic terrorists who project themselves to be fighting for the cause of Allah (God) and still go ahead to back any atrocities they commit, by quoting some verses in the Holy Qur'an.
Anyone who is not well-grounded in the understanding of the teachings of the religion may easily be brainwashed and also join them in their blood-shedding ideology.

In addition, the media has been a perfect tool used by the terrorists to gain attention which is basically their relative motive and objective. Series of well-coordinated terrorist attacks such as the 9/11 attacks on the world trade centre in the US by the Islamic terrorist group, Al-Qaeda, and the targeted suicide attack at the United Nation building in Nigeria, are carried out in order to boldly write their names on the minds of the public. This fact can be substantiated each time the terrorists commit any of such attacks, they still go ahead to claim responsibility through the media, and thereby gaining the needed attention.

Furthermore, the terrorists quickly have access to information on the plan which the military will use in combating them. For instance, during the administration of the former president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, when the Chibok girls were kidnapped, the military secretly uncover the hideouts of the terrorists due to series of investigations on where they were being held captive; they discovered that the children were camped in Sambisa forest.
The media, being the upper hand as far as information was concerned, was very quick in passing the message to the members of the public that the girls were in Sambisa forest even before the military could plan to launch any offensive against the terrorists. Each time information gets to the public through the media, the terrorists also execute their plans based on the available information.

By inclusion, the media do not help matters at all in providing solution or penacea to global terrorism due to the often repeated video clips of terrorist attacks around the globe. This alone has a devasting effect on the victims as it brings back the sad memory to them. For example, the recent terrorist attack on Novmber 11 (2015) in Paris, France, which involves suicide bombing, mass shooting, and hostage taking is still fresh in the memories of their family members and relatives, and it is often repeated by the media, the internet media says it all. If we put ourselves in the shoes of the affected families, this can fuel anger in them towards fellow people, especially the Muslims that they killed their loved ones.

In conclusion, I will like to drop my pen here by remaining fairmly with the fact that the media is not a panacea for global terrorism. Thank you.

References:
Definition of terrorism
UN Security Council Resolution (2004)

FBI Classification of terrorism:
https://m.fbi.gov/#https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Magaret Thatcher's quote.
http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/106096

Paris Terrorist Attack:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2015_Paris_attacks

9/11 Attack in the US:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

UN Bombing in Nigeria:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Abuja_United_Nations_bombing

BBC Timeline on Chibok Girls Kldnap:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27342757

4 Likes

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:37am On Dec 27, 2015
Why I await my wonderful mama luxanne kiss let me free style small... wink
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:39am On Dec 27, 2015
I can see our participants staying alert to ignite this thread with their essay... I can't wait... cheesy
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:47am On Dec 27, 2015
We are starting soon... There won't be much "feferiti" today.....
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:48am On Dec 27, 2015
Nairaland Interschool debate third edition yaf start be that.. .. The first stage.. Essay submission begins today.... Relax and enjoy.. .
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:49am On Dec 27, 2015
Only. Team delsu is left out in the space booking, hmmmmmm..
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 11:52am On Dec 27, 2015
We are starting sirs...

Naijadeyhia
MaziOmenuko
Adeaks
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 11:54am On Dec 27, 2015
Present cool
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:00pm On Dec 27, 2015
12pm

Without wasting much time this essay submission is hereby declare open.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:01pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:
12pm

Without wasting much time this essay submission is hereby declare open.

Participants you all have just one hour to unveil your essay...

►Menzo4u
► Betacitizen

►Virus05
►Bethelbrill
► Callertune
► Epaul
► Hazkel

► FrancisTony
► Damoskiy
► Nicolars
► LARRYDKING

Thanks.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:03pm On Dec 27, 2015
Wow the UNIPORT team are also no where to be found... Hmmmmm..
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:05pm On Dec 27, 2015
Well the floor is open for the participants to do the needful.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Participants you all have just one hour to unveil your essay...

►Menzo4u
► Betacitizen

►Virus05
►Bethelbrill

► FrancisTony
► Damoskiy
► Nicolars
► LARRYDKING

Thanks.
I sent you a message of the remaining parts of the essay.
Help me to add it when i am done plus colour.

Thanks.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:12pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony:

I sent you a message of the remaining parts of the essay.
Help me to add it when i am done plus colour.

Thanks.

No problem sir.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

No problem sir.
Done.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony:

Done.

You don't need Color..

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:19pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony essay unveil... . Nice one...
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:20pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING essay unveil... smiley
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 12:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
Chaii judges where una dey ooo sad

Naijadeyhia
MaziOmenuko
Adeaks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / JAMB Officials Escaped Being Burnt Alive In Lagos – Oloyede / Verbal Reasoning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.