Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,639 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? (12247 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Shynaboy1: 1:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
Good job from YABATECH rep. UNILAG rep also tried. Very interesting and educating. Kudos also to fynestboi
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2015
Shynaboy1:
Good job from YABATECH rep. UNILAG rep also tried. Very interesting and educating. Kudos also to fynestboi

Kudus to TEAMNISD (luxanne, Aminat508, Tosyne2much, fattbabakay) and all judges...

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 1:49pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:
YABATECH rep yaf run ni?

►Menzo4u
► Betacitizen
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by menzo4u: 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:
Menzo4u

U wrote that ''Ibrahim Zak’zaky, before we knew it, his fake pictures showing how he had been beaten up andtortured by the Nigerian Army in a pool ofblood was already circulated in the media. This singular false report has attracted various international protests from countries like Iran, India and so on''.

Do you have the original of the pix?? Please let's have a look. Do you believe the video too? I doubt if you do.

The NA's killings were extrajudicial and should be protested.

or does protest also mean terrorism?

Having issues with my browser here....
My motive according to that post was not to support the NA on their action, but to bring into light the gravity of the sensitivity of the case in question.

The same NA still denied having the Shiit leader in their custody, even if it's that the army ever did such thing to him, professional ethics demand that such report should not be made, especially at the period when the government is still battling with BokoHaram.

A throw back to the origin of BokoHaram will show you that one of the reasons they became so dreaded as they are today is owing the perceived maltreatment of their leader (Yusuf) which later led to his death. Remember BokoHaram did not start out as a terrorist group, but a religious movement like Shii't.

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 27, 2015
menzo4u:

Having issues with my browser here....
My motive according to that post was not to support the NA on their action, but to bring into light the gravity of the sensitivity of the case in question.

The same NA still denied having the Shiit leader in their custody, even if it's that the army ever did such thing to him, professional ethics demand that such report should not be made, especially at the period when the government is still battling with BokoHaram.

A throw back to the origin of BokoHaram will show you that one of the reasons they became so dreaded as they are today is owing the perceived maltreatment of their leader (Yusuf) which later led to his death. Remember BokoHaram did not start out as a terrorist group, but a religious movement like Shii't.

One of the causes of terrorism is injustice. It will be so unfair to bury such evidence of recklessness by the NA. with the video and pictures evidences, the government has set up a committee to wade into the matter and give appropriate verdict.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 2:04pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:
Bentacitizens

U wrote '', the military secretly uncover the hideouts of the terrorists due to series of investigations on where they were being held captive; they discoveredthat the children were camped in Sambisa forest.The media, being the upper hand as far as information was concerned, was very quick in passing the message to the members of the public that the girls werein Sambisa forest even before the military could plan to launch any offensive against the terrorists''.

Do you mean the army could not lunch an attack after uncovering the location of the terrorists because the public was aware? Did the public seize weapons from the army?

Let me quickly remind you that terrorists were in that camp until the first quarter of this year when Jonathan administration through the NA flushed them out.
Appologies for team Yabatech's late reply....we are having serious network issues here.

"Public" as used in that context does not just mean people generally, BokoHaram is part of the public I was referring to. So if the first-hand information gets to BokoHaram that the NA is aware that they are in Sambisa forest, that gives them an update to prepare for the Army or change their current location in Sambisa. That is just the fact!

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2015
We dey wait results sirs...

Naijadeyhia
MaziOmenuko
Adeaks
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 2:08pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:
We dey wait results sirs...

Naijadeyhia
MaziOmenuko
Adeaks
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 27, 2015
betacitizen:

Appologies for team Yabatech's late reply....we are having serious network issues here.

"Public" as used in that context does not just mean people generally, BokoHaram is part of the public I was referring to. So if the first-hand information gets to BokoHaram that the NA is aware that they are in Sambisa forest, that gives them an update to prepare for the Army or change their current location in Sambisa. That is just the fact!

Don't twist the fact, the NA did not locate them to make publicity, if they had acted when the revelation was revealed, nothing would have stopped their victory. You can't blame that on the media. You should thank the media for putting the government up on her feet till the terrorists' territory in Sambisa was destroyed.

We are having network issue too sir, we hope it gets better.

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
Really love this
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:23pm On Dec 27, 2015
Wow sighted DrAmanda you were suppose to be here. cry
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:25pm On Dec 27, 2015
Erm I Don receive one Alert...

grin
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by DrAmanda(f): 2:26pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:
Wow sighted DrAmanda you were suppose to be here. cry

I'm sorry o

Have so much on my table right now

#unavailable
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by menzo4u: 2:27pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:

One of the causes of terrorism is injustice. It will be so unfair to bury such evidence of recklessness by the NA. with the video and pictures evidences, the government has set up a committee to wade into the matter and give appropriate verdict.
Injustice? The same alleged injustice that brought about BokoHaram. My stand remains that the media is not helping matters at all. There are better ways to make this known to the appropriate authorities for proper investigation. For example if you happen be a relative to this man and you see this kind of picture of him. What would you be tempted to do? If not for the fact that the Shiite followers are peaceful people, they could have gone weird seeing this picture alone.

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=Aminat508 post=41387377][/quote]

Both teams hit hard and fast but one will always win by either technicality or an outright knockout at the end of the day. I wish both teams luck. A tough one.

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 2:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
Well done guys (FrancisTony, LARRYDKING Menzo4u and Betacitizen)

Results will be out in a bit.

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:30pm On Dec 27, 2015
DrAmanda:

I'm sorry o

Have so much on my table right now

#unavailable

OK ooooo.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by menzo4u: 2:32pm On Dec 27, 2015
[quote author=Aminat508 post=41386874][/quote]
Yabatech is ever gallant, we ain't running anywhere, just network issues.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 2:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
menzo4u:

Yabatech is ever gallant, we ain't running anywhere, just network issues.
ok. Keep it up
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 2:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
naijadeyhia:

Both teams hit hard and fast but one will always win by either technicality or an outright knockout at the end of the day. I wish both teams luck. A tough one.
yes, you are right

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 2:36pm On Dec 27, 2015
@Fynestboi,

Seeing that Delsu and Uniport are automatically disqualified for their representatives absenteeism, its safe to say that Unilag and Yabatech automatically qualifies into the next stage right?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2015
luxanne:

@Fynestboi,

Seeing that Delsu and Uniport are automatically disqualified for their representatives absenteeism, its safe to say that Unilag and Yabatech automatically qualifies into the next stage right?

GbAm kiss

They both will, but the score sheet is important for next stage groupings.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2015
menzo4u:
Injustice? The same alleged injustice that brought about BokoHaram. My stand remains that the media is not helping matters at all. There are better ways to make this known to the appropriate authorities for proper investigation. For example if you happen be a relative to this man and you see this kind of picture of him. What would you be tempted to do? If not for the fact that the Shiite followers are peaceful people, they could have gone weird seeing this picture alone.

Do you think his followers or relatives wouldn't have known if the media is not involved or is it the pix that is giving you concern?

If I think his relatives won't know,then, we might need to explain information and how it spreads like wild fire.

I thought you said the pix is fake, his relatives shouldn't be moved by ur assertion.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by snoopy(m): 2:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
kudos to the unilag folks....will be busting veins cheering y'all loud from the stands..... wink
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
FrancisTony

I must commend you for a job well done. You identified quite a number of points in support of your position and it was obvious you put a lot of work into it.

A couple of suggestions though. I think you can put more effort into the aesthetics of your essay. If you look at your essay you will notice that there were breaks in some of the lines, and I felt you should have corrected that. For a written essay/debate it takes away points from your presentation. Since this is not an oral debate where we can judge your deamenor, that is something to note.

I also felt that you didn't manage the transition between your points very well. They were all lumped together. In essays you can use words like 'furthermore', 'in addition', and many others to introduce new ideas. At some point I was the one who had to tell myself that I was reading a new point, which shouldn't be so. I think you can space or paragraph your essay more.

I also thought your closing was abrupt. You can put more polish into your closing. Summarize all the points you have raised into the essay in few lines and gradually bring your essay to an end.

All the same, nice one bro.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:40pm On Dec 27, 2015
snoopy:
kudos to the unilag folks....will be busting veins cheering y'all loud from the stands..... wink

Giant unilag rep abi na oldie we go call you sir?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2015
Wow nice one from our judge... smiley
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by snoopy(m): 2:44pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Giant unilag rep abi na oldie we go call you sir?
lol at all o my oga....i still be small boy o, multiple twale for you sir, organising this up to the third edition. e nor easy...na you be the MAN..you deserve a choice spot in the league of super mods.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 2:46pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:

Don't twist the fact, the NA did not locate them to make publicity, if they had acted when the revelation was revealed, nothing would have stopped their victory. You can't blame that on the media. You should thank the media for putting the government up on her feet till the terrorists' territory in Sambisa was destroyed.

We are having network issue too sir, we hope it gets better.
No one is twisting any fact here Sir, perhaps you do not know, victory against terror group is not all about carrying gun, some information are meant to be confidential, but the media houses in order to create traffic or sales, are always quick to make reports. Remmber, the media is also backed by Freedom of Information Act which makes them to have more access to information.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
snoopy:

lol at all o my oga....i still be small boy o, multiple twale for you sir, organising this up to the third edition. e nor easy...na you be the MAN..you deserve a choice spot in the league of super mods.

Lol... cheesy no be only me dey do am Thanks to God and my wonderful team. wink
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Shynaboy1: 2:55pm On Dec 27, 2015
Once again, BRAVO to all team NISD in general. I'm impatiently awaiting the result oh. Moreover, when is team AAUA debating?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by awesome11(m): 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2015
LARRYDKING:
Bentacitizens

U wrote '', the military secretly uncover the hideouts of the terrorists due to series of investigations on where they were being held captive; they discoveredthat the children were camped in Sambisa forest.The media, being the upper hand as far as information was concerned, was very quick in passing the message to the members of the public that the girls werein Sambisa forest even before the military could plan to launch any offensive against the terrorists''.

Do you mean the army could not lunch an attack after uncovering the location of the terrorists because the public was aware? Did the public seize weapons from the army?

Let me quickly remind you that terrorists were in that camp until the first quarter of this year when Jonathan administration through the NA flushed them out.

Firstly, I think we've been empowered as observers to give our comment. Also, I'll like to applaud you for the logically weaved questions up there.

However, in warfare, information is an important key in the armory. One of the classic intelligence of terrorist group is their ability to classify and segregate information into cadres and the military losing such important information about their enemy to public knowledge and hence( to the evil group) is a disaster!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / JAMB Officials Escaped Being Burnt Alive In Lagos – Oloyede / Waec Gce Upgrading And Helping To Release Held Result How Possible It Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.