Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,275 members, 7,839,374 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) (6227 Views)

Just-In:Video Claims Attack On Shiite Hussainiyyah Before Road Block, Unprovoked / Why Hussainiyyah & Zakzaky's House Besieged And Attacked After The Road Clash? / Iranians Storm Nigerian Embassy In Tehran To Protest Army Attack On Shiites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) by gists: 8:31am On Dec 21, 2015
deking:
The mistake many analyst are making is that the situation was not a civil disturbance. In NA's judgement it was declaration of WAR against the Nigerian state.

If the COAS had turned back as most of you postulated, the headlines would have read "COAS flees from Boko Haram". This wouldn't have been healthy for a man who has a December deadline to clear off Boko Haram. This would definitely have emboldened the boko haram and other sects.

Someone posted the rules of engagement and even the US military would have forcefully charged their way through if confronted with that sort of challenge. The last of the matter could have been heard at the roadblock as because of the casualties involved the COAS would definitely want to give stern warning to the Sect leader. Reports have it that in the course of this dialog a soldier was killed at the sect leader's house. This is a crime against the state and obviously no commandant would tolerate this.

I would advise all to balance the reports and pick out the truth. We must not allow any group or individual gain superiority over the NA.
You missed the point completely or you are just being mischievous.
Nobody asked the COAS to turn back. The shias are not bigger than Nigeria. I have said it before, while they have the right to go on peaceful procession, they have absolutely no right to block the road - let alone to block the road on government official (and to make matters worse, the COAS).
In fact, in hindsight, it probably have been better if the army CHARGE through the "blockade" like you said at the time the shias were displaying their madness. But for the army to go back and kill them in their base at a later time in the name of arresting a civilian in time of peace (Kaduna is not under emergency rule) is what most of us are criticizing.
I personally think the Zakzakky guys should have been arrested looooong ago, may be this their fo0lish act would not have happened.
Point of correction - it is not the army that declares war - it is the Commander in Chief (PMB in this case). The army don't just start a war just at their pleasure.
Re: New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) by nwaanambra1(m): 8:48am On Dec 21, 2015
Re: New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) by deking(m): 8:55am On Dec 21, 2015
@gists I don't know what you are driving at but just a few points.

1. The NA have a standing mandate to deal decisively with anyone perceived to be an enemy of the state both internally and externally especially people who take up arms. It would be fool hardy for soldiers to run into an armed robbery scene and claim that it is the job of policemen to deal with that leaving the citizens at the mercy of the robbers until policemen arrive. Ofcourse, this will be termed an internal aggression and dealt with decisively.

2. The NA stretched out the olive branch twice by choosing to dialogue with the sect members first at the roadblock and later when then went to effect some arrests at the sect leader's home.

3. What would have happened to ordinary citizens at the road block mounted by the sect members? The would have been denied access to that road because some people stronger than them were on a religious procession and were not willing to allow any other person access.

In all let's not forget the foundation of freedom - "Your right to stretch your hand freely ends where my right to defend my nose starts "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) by nafiachi(m): 9:03am On Dec 21, 2015
A sincere advice to my shiite guys, the day you decide to stay on the truth and stop your lies and deceit, I assure you the peace and tranquillity you'll experience shall have no bounds Insha Allah.
Allah ya shirye ku, Amin.
Re: New Video Emgerges Of The Nigeria Army Attack On The Hussainiyyah (Shia Mosque) by gists: 9:20am On Dec 21, 2015
deking:
@gists I don't know what you are driving at but just a few points.

1. The NA have a standing mandate to deal decisively with anyone perceived to be an enemy of the state both internally and externally especially people who take up arms. It would be fool hardy for soldiers to run into an armed robbery scene and claim that it is the job of policemen to deal with that leaving the citizens at the mercy of the robbers until policemen arrive. Ofcourse, this will be termed an internal aggression and dealt with decisively.

2. The NA stretched out the olive branch twice by choosing to dialogue with the sect members first at the roadblock and later when then went to effect some arrests at the sect leader's home.

3. What would have happened to ordinary citizens at the road block mounted by the sect members? The would have been denied access to that road because some people stronger than them were on a religious procession and were not willing to allow any other person access.

In all let's not forget the foundation of freedom - "Your right to stretch your hand freely ends where my right to defend my nose starts "
None of your point address our issue.
I am not interested in repeating myself since it looks like you're not paying attention. By the way, the robbery example does not apply in this case especially when I said the army could have been pardoned if they forced their way though - i.e acting instantly like in arm robbery case.

The int'l community have condemn the action, civil right groups have commented, CAN has paid solidarity visit to Zakzaky (which I think is absolutely unnecessary), the Nigerian Senate and HOR have just summon Burutai to come explain. If you think they are all wrong and disturbing the army from doing their work of clearing threats (both internal and external as you said) then there is not much to discuss.

But bear in mind - when a man comes to your house to steal your property and you pick a gun and shoot him. You may be pardon on the ground of self defense and provocation. But when you let the man escape and you later go and shoot him in his house on the ground that he came to your house to steal, then you will certainly be guilty of murder or at least manslaughter. But if you report to police and the man is arrested and tried, he may be put to death and you still walk like a freeman.

The army probably should have "charged" through at the point of blockade/provocation and all these dust will not have been raised because the shias are not bigger than Nigeria. But since they didn't do that, I expect the COAS to call the IG and ask the police to go and fetch whoever it is they want to arrest. But they went back and kill them in their dozens - that is not acceptable in any civilized country.

Nobody is supporting the shias (in fact they have been condemned by myself and many others), but let us also learn the right time to praise and when to rebuke the army!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria To Establish DNA Databank For Tracking Terrorists / Ten African Leaders That Died In Bloody Coup (photos) / Alcohol And Humans (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.