Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,800 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

My Dad Is Frustrating Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Dad Is Frustrating Me (2319 Views)

'My Dad Is A Deadbeat' Top Worn By Daughter On Father's Day / Lady Justifies Why Her Dad Is Married To 6 Wives, Says He Is Too Cute (Photos) / Help My Brother Is Frustrating Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Sirsoftness(m): 9:09pm On Dec 20, 2015
Am a 200L student in Delta state university Abraka 19 years of age

My problem is that my dad still treats me like a child I kept silent for a while thinking when I gain admission he will stop and give me my freedom,but no I have facial hair and I like it but anytime I come home my dad forces me to cut it,he also restricts me from visiting any of my friends and doesn't allow any of my friends visit me,and if I say I want to stay in school and not come home he is definitely goin to disgrace me in school. The main reason of my writing this post is because he used the cane on me he said he called me and I didn't answer,in my defense I didn't hear him call me I was busy he finished my body without giving me a chance to explain

Now what I want to ask is at my age and position should I still be flogged and how can I get my dad to understand I am no longer a child
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by ggirl4real: 9:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
Op, you are still a teenager who is under his parents. So your dad still has authority over you...

At a certain age, I don't think using cane makes the child do what you want. Most times, sitting the child down to talk sense into his head will do the magic

Op calm down, your dad wants the best for you. With time, he'll adjust.

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by finalboss(m): 9:13pm On Dec 20, 2015
shocked men nigger dats bleeped up...thou he is your dad ...he want the best for you.. he gat his reasons
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by abat4real37(f): 9:14pm On Dec 20, 2015
He's training you
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by OCTAVO: 9:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
Just tell someone he respects. Narrate your ordeal to an older person he respects, and let the person talk to him on your behalf. Truth is there's no way you can talk sense to him on your own.
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by marykaydee: 9:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
I think you are too old to be flogged.
But sometimes you have to understand that some parents were brought up in such strict homes and they tend to pass it on. I too had a controlling dad i.e Without the flogging. The first thing i did was to make myself independent, when he saw my determination to stay away,he let me be...thanks to my mum aswell..when he complains that we are always away even during holidays..my mum will remind him that hes the cause. Now, i am free. He's attitude has changed to my surprise

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Ginaz(f): 9:35pm On Dec 20, 2015
Lol, sorry ni, africana fathers have a very stubborn view about parenting. Dont worry dear, the young sha grow. grin
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Zeedarh(f): 9:35pm On Dec 20, 2015
9ja parents be like 'no matter how old you are, you're still our child' grin

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by ronald4lif(m): 9:37pm On Dec 20, 2015
Chai, oboy this is a delicate matter o. Flogging a 19year old guy at this age and time na serious matter walahi. Don't even know what to tell but if my dad had dared flogged me at that age I'd revolt by collecting the whips from him and tore to shreds. What kind of embarrassment is that.
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Eleniyan15: 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2015
ggirl4real:
Op, you are still a teenager who is under his parents. So your dad still has authority over you...

At a certain age, I don't think using cane makes the child do what you want. Most times, sitting the child down to talk sense into his head will do the magic

Op calm down, your dad wants the best for you. With time, he'll adjust.

you must be kidding
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by ggirl4real: 9:48pm On Dec 20, 2015
Eleniyan15:

you must be kidding

No, I'm adolescenting grin
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Richy4(m): 9:50pm On Dec 20, 2015
The one I am against is the cane. who flogs an undergraduate in this 21st century?

Other expect of your restriction is fine by me. he has a reason why he was doing that. the fact that you are a 200L student, does not mean he was not your father anymore. You are still his beloved son to whom he wiped his as$ about 19 years ago..

You are under his roof, he calls the shot, not you. when you are independent, gets a job and pays the bill, then you will be free but for now abide by his rules. I believe when you grow up more in the next 10years you will be thanking his for shielding you from certain things

As for the cane, If you have an uncle or aunt, your father's younger brother or elder sister that is in good terms with your dad, tell him or her about the cane.... Tell him or her that you are going to obey all his rule in the house but if he touches you again with anything, you will not take. say it and mean it....

Expect a little "gra gra" after the warning has been delivered from your dad. do not answer back on the "gra gra" matters, he was just trying to deal with the fact that his baby boy is now a man.... he has gotten the massage....

Good luck with your studies

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Eleniyan15: 9:52pm On Dec 20, 2015
ggirl4real:

No, I'm adolescenting grin
bad oooo
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Sirsoftness(m): 10:01pm On Dec 20, 2015
Richy4:
The one I am against is the cane. who flogs an undergraduate in this 21st century?

Other expect of your restriction is fine by me. he has a reason why he was doing that. the fact that you are a 200L student, does not mean he was not your father anymore. You are still his beloved son to whom he wiped his as$ about 19 years ago..

You are under his roof, he calls the shot, not you. when you are independent, gets a job and pays the bill, then you will be free but for now abide by his rules. I believe when you grow up more in the next 10years you will be thanking his for shielding you from certain things

As for the cane, If you have an uncle or aunt, your father's younger brother or elder sister that is in good terms with your dad, tell him or her about the cane.... Tell him or her that you are going to obey all his rule in the house but if he touches you again with anything, you will not take. say it and mean it....

Expect a little "gra gra" after the warning has been delivered from your dad. do not answer back on the "gra gra" matters, he was just trying to deal with the fact that his baby boy is now a man.... he has gotten the massage....

Good luck with your studies

I don't think you understand what I meant by he restricts me...
Asin I don't leave the house at all and when he sends me to deliver something to his friend or college and I say I don't know where that street is
Dats another round of scolding for me

I mean how am I suppose to know anywhere if u don't allow me go out
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by PresVA: 10:24pm On Dec 20, 2015
Just calm down Op.. you'll soon be free; you're already in 200L... You'll soon finish school and become independent. ..

Any action you take now maybe to your own detriment as he may even stop paying your school fees...just calm down.. it's well..
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Richy4(m): 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2015
Sirsoftness:

I don't think you understand what I meant by he restricts me...
Asin I don't leave the house at all and when he sends me to deliver something to his friend or college and I say I don't know where that street is
Dats another round of scolding for me

I mean how am I suppose to know anywhere if u don't allow me go out

sorry to say this but You sounded like a nursery school kid to me. It is not compulsory that you must not know everywhere. but definitely, your dad did not cage you in that house. you are not helping matters at all. you caged yourself at home and expect him to tell you like a little boy to go out and play and when he did not say it, you feel he was preventing you from going out.....

The question is, How do you go to your Uni? does he drop and pick you up like a kid? is it everyday you go to uni? Don't you have a free lecture day in your time table.or you have already handed him your time table. At least you and I know that you cannot study from Monday to Friday. even if you do, there must be a day of the week that your lectures finish early. instead of going home, why not use that period and hang out with your friends?

Don't you have a phone? any day you are not returning early or you feel like catching up with friends (i mean the good ones), can't you call your mum or any other family member and tell them that you got a group assignment and your group members are gathering that day to solve and hand in the assignment the next day? how can he refuse you from doing assignment? Haba mallam!!! must we tell you that biko?

2 Likes

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Sirsoftness(m): 11:33pm On Dec 20, 2015
Richy4:

sorry to say this but You sounded like a nursery school kid to me. It is not compulsory that you must not know everywhere. but definitely, your dad did not cage you in that house. you are not helping matters at all. you caged yourself at home and expect him to tell you like a little boy to go out and play and when he did not say it, you feel he was preventing you from going out.....

The question is, How do you go to your Uni? does he drop and pick you up like a kid? is it everyday you go to uni? Don't you have a free lecture day in your time table.or you have already handed him your time table. At least you and I know that you cannot study from Monday to Friday. even if you do, there must be a day of the week that your lectures finish early. instead of going home, why not use that period and hang out with your friends?

Don't you have a phone? any day you are not returning early or you feel like catching up with friends (i mean the good ones), can't you call your mum or any other family member and tell them that you got a group assignment and your group members are gathering that day to solve and hand in the assignment the next day? how can he refuse you from doing assignment? Haba mallam!!! must we tell you that biko?

I don't go to school from my place...School hostel

He does all that when m home during holidays...and he made it mmake's it very clear everyday b4 he leaves for work that i should stay at home
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by yvesboss(m): 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2015
OP..when next yu see yur dad...apologise to him for acting up all the while...trust me, i have been there before but God made me realise my dad's love for me makes him chastice me a lot...It wont take time before you realise what i am saying however i pray it wouldnt be too late by then.

Cheers
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by simpleseyi: 8:13pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sirsoftness:

My problem is that my dad still treats me like a child I kept silent for a while thinking when I gain admission he will stop and give me my freedom,but no I have facial hair and I like it but anytime I come home my dad forces me to cut it,he also restricts me from visiting any of my friends and doesn't allow any of my friends visit me,and if I say I want to stay in school and not come home he is definitely goin to disgrace me in school. The main reason of my writing this post is because he used the cane on me he said he called me and I didn't answer,in my defense I didn't hear him call me I was busy he finished my body without giving me a chance to explain

Now what I want to ask is at my age and position should I still be flogged and how can I get my dad to understand I am no longer a child

In 20 years time, you will see your father and just prostrate for him in the open. He ask you to stand up and stop embarrassing him. Then you will say that you just remembered how he treated you when you were a young adult including the flogging, restriction of movements and association with people. You will then prostrate again for the second time and thank him once again for making you a successful man that you are. May God let your father live long to see and enjoy your success. Your father has passed through the stage you are now and he can guess your moves, many of your age mates have become cultist, rapist and robbers because their parents gave them the so-called freedom that the western world is preaching your your ear drums. But, you father is doing his job as a responsible father. Your father really really loves you, only Jesus probably can love you more.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by prettyjo(f): 8:27pm On Dec 21, 2015
he is not frustrating you anything.all these teenagers think that when they enter a university then they cant be cautioned.
just respect and do whatever he says,he is training you
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by GboyegaD(m): 8:38pm On Dec 21, 2015
Sirsoftness:

I don't go to school from my place...School hostel

He does all that when m home during holidays...and he made it mmake's it very clear everyday b4 he leaves for work that i should stay at home

The fact that he says you should stay at home doesn't mean you cannot go out. You go and return before he returns from work.

As for flogging, I believe parents are different nonetheless, you could just explain to him whenever you guys are chit chatting why you are of age that cannot be corrected by beating. Say it in a very firm way that he gets the message otherwise, it is the baptism of flogging for you.
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by murphyrichy(m): 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2015
After reading your post, I couldn't believe it. But when I checked the age of my youngest broda whom i still flog because he's stubborn, I gat to find out that you are a year older than him. So for your Dad to still flog you at dis your age shows that he sees sometime wrong in you. may be your are the stubborn type? check your character joor.
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Chidoks(f): 4:11pm On Dec 23, 2015
Where is your mom?
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by GoldenJAT(m): 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
Guy.. Go paranoid... Parents cannot always be right.. Them b God? 4get all these yeye advice 4 here. DE ain't talking realistically.. I understand ur plight, u may grow up 2b sumthin else.. Haba.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by mcdokwe(m): 11:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
Sirsoftness:

no matter how much you grow, your dad would maintain the age-gap seniority he has over you. no come dey form boss.

you are not really grown until you prove to him that you are grown, ad by that I don't meant talking back at him or fighting him, but by taking up and handling responsibilities.

otherwise, gerrarofhia mehn!
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Sirsoftness(m): 10:14am On Dec 24, 2015
murphyrichy:
After reading your post, I couldn't believe it. But when I checked the age of my youngest broda whom i still flog because he's stubborn, I gat to find out that you are a year older than him. So for your Dad to still flog you at dis your age shows that he sees sometime wrong in you. may be your are the stubborn type? check your character joor.

Am not stubborn infact the fear I have for him has always made me behave my self both home and away

BTW did u cc the reason I gave for his flogging me...it has noting to do with stubbornness
Re: My Dad Is Frustrating Me by Sirsoftness(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2015
Chidoks:
Where is your mom?

She can't bail me out every time nw,wah if she's not home I need a permanent solution

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do If This Guy Slapped Your Sister? / Let's Celebrate The Great Fighter(nairaland Baby 2015) / Father And Son Both Partner In The Police Department Recreated 20years Old Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.