Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Endometriosis - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Endometriosis (2325 Views)

Adenike Oshinowo's Battle With Endometriosis / Endometriosis,adenomyosis,polycystic Ovarian Cyst Story? Or Fibroid / Serrapeptase May Be Good For Endometriosis And Cysts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Endometriosis by sistawoman: 9:15pm On Jun 08, 2009
Are there any other women out there that suffer from this?
Re: Endometriosis by Sissy3(f): 9:33pm On Jun 08, 2009
it could have been better if you gave at least details of the disease, like the definition, causes, and possible treatment. maybe women who have it may understand and discuss it with you.
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 2:11pm On Jun 09, 2009
What are the Symptoms of Endometriosis?

Pain before and during periods

Pain with sex

Infertility

Fatigue

Painful urination during periods

Painful bowel movements during periods

Other Gastrointestinal upsets such as diarrhea, constipation, nausea.
In addition, many women with endometriosis suffer from:

Allergies

Chemical sensitivities

Frequent yeast infections
Diagnosis is considered uncertain until proven by laparoscopy, a minor surgical procedure done under anesthesia. A laparoscopy usually shows the location, size, and extent of the growths. This helps the doctor and patient make better treatment choices.
Re: Endometriosis by Oxone(m): 5:42pm On Jun 09, 2009
What is endometriosis?

Endometriosis is the growth of cells similar to those that form the inside of the uterus (endometrial cells), but in a location outside of the uterus. Endometrial cells are the same cells that are shed each month during menstruation. The cells of endometriosis attach themselves to tissue outside the uterus and are called endometriosis implants. These implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines, and on the surface lining of the pelvic cavity. They can also be found in the vagina, cervix, and bladder, although less commonly than other locations in the pelvis. Rarely, endometriosis implants can occur outside the pelvis, on the liver, in old surgery scars, and even in or around the lung or brain. Endometrial implants, while they can cause problems, are benign (not cancerous).

Who is affected by endometriosis?

Endometriosis affects women in their reproductive years. The exact prevalence of endometriosis is not known, since many women may have the condition and have no symptoms. Endometriosis is estimated to affect over one million women (estimates range from 3% to 18% of women) in the United States. It is one of the leading causes of pelvic pain and reasons for laparoscopic surgery and hysterectomy in this country. While most cases of endometriosis are diagnosed in women aged around 25-35 years, endometriosis has been reported in girls as young as 11 years of age. Endometriosis is rare in postmenopausal women. Endometriosis is more commonly found in white women as compared with African American and Asian women. Studies further suggest that endometriosis is most common in taller, thin women with a low body mass index (BMI). Delaying pregnancy until an older age is also believed to increase the risk of developing endometriosis.

What causes endometriosis?

The cause of endometriosis is unknown although different theories abound

What are endometriosis symptoms?

Most women who have endometriosis, in fact, do not have symptoms. Of those who do experience symptoms, the common symptoms are pain (usually pelvic) and infertility. Pelvic pain usually occurs during or just before menstruation and lessens after menstruation. Some women experience pain or cramping with intercourse, bowel movements and/or urination. Even pelvic examination by a doctor can be painful. The pain intensity can change from month to month, and vary greatly among women. Some women experience progressive worsening of symptoms, while others can have resolution of pain without treatment.

Endometriosis can be one of the reasons for infertility in otherwise healthy couples. When laparoscopic examinations are performed for infertility evaluations, endometrial implants can be found in some of these patients, many of whom may not have painful symptoms of endometriosis. The reasons for a decrease in fertility are not completely understood, but might be due to both anatomic and hormonal factors.

Other symptoms related to endometriosis include:

* lower abdominal pain,

* diarrhea and/or constipation,

* low back pain,

* irregular or heavy menstrual bleeding, or

* blood in the urine.

Rare symptoms of endometriosis include chest pain or coughing blood due to endometriosis in the lungs and headache and/or seizures due to endometriosis in the brain.

Endometriosis and cancer risk

Women with endometriosis have a mildly increased risk for development of certain types of cancer of the ovary, known as epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC). This risk seems to be highest in women with endometriosis and primary infertility (those who have never borne a child), but the use of oral contraceptive pills (OCPs), which are sometimes used in the treatment of endometriosis, appears to significantly reduce this risk.

How is endometriosis diagnosed?

1. from symptoms
2. rectovaginal exam (one finger in the vagina and one finger in the rectum), the doctor can feel nodules (endometrial implants) behind the uterus and along the ligaments that attach to the pelvic wall
3. ultrasound
For an accurate diagnosis, a direct visual inspection inside of the pelvis and abdomen, as well as tissue biopsy of the implants are necessary.

As a result, the only accurate way of diagnosing endometriosis is at the time of surgery, either by opening the belly with[b] large-incision laparotomy or small-incision laparoscopy.[/b]

During laparoscopy, biopsies (removal of tiny tissue samples for examination under a microscope) can also be performed for a diagnosis. Sometimes biopsies obtained during laparoscopy show endometriosis even though no endometrial implants are seen during laparoscopy.

Pelvic ultrasound and laparoscopy are also important in excluding malignancies (such as ovarian cancer) that can cause symptoms that mimic endometriosis symptoms.

How is endometriosis treated?

Endometriosis can be treated with medications and/or surgery. The goals of endometriosis treatment may include pain relief and/or enhancement of fertility.

Medical treatment of endometriosis

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs (such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium) are commonly prescribed to help relieve pelvic pain and menstrual cramping. These pain-relieving medications have no effect on the endometrial implants. However, they do decrease prostaglandin production, and prostaglandins are well-known to have a role in production of pain sensation. Because the diagnosis of endometriosis is only definite after a woman undergoes surgery, there will of course be many women who are suspected of having endometriosis based on the nature of their pelvic pain symptoms. In such a situation, NSAIDs are commonly used. If they work to control pain, no other procedures or medical treatments are needed. If they do not relieve the pain, additional evaluation and treatment generally occur.

Since endometriosis occurs during the reproductive years, many of the available medical treatments for endometriosis rely on interruption of the normal cyclical hormone production by the ovaries. These medications include GnRH analogs, oral contraceptive pills, and progestins.

Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs (GnRH analogs)

Gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogs (GnRH analogs) have been effectively used to relieve pain and reduce the size of endometriosis implants. These drugs suppress estrogen production by the ovaries by inhibiting the secretion of regulatory hormones from the pituitary gland. As a result, menstrual periods stop, mimicking menopause. Nasal and injection forms of GnRH agonists are available.

The side effects are a result of the lack of estrogen, and include:

* hot flashes,

* vaginal dryness,

* irregular vaginal bleeding,

* mood changes,

* fatigue, and

* loss of bone density (osteoporosis).

Fortunately, by adding back small amounts of estrogen and progesterone in pill form (similar to treatments sometimes used for symptom relief in menopause) many of the annoying side effects due to estrogen deficiency can be avoided. "Add back therapy" is the term that refers to this modern way of administering GnRH agonists along with estrogen and progesterone in a way to keep the treatment successful, but avoid most of the unwanted side effects.

Oral contraceptive pills

Oral contraceptive pills (estrogen and progesterone in combination) are also sometimes used to treat endometriosis. The most common combination used is in the form of the oral contraceptive pill (OCP). Sometimes women who have severe menstrual pain are asked to take the OCP continuously, meaning skipping the placebo (sugar pill) portion of the cycle. Continuous use in this manner will free a woman of having any menstrual periods at all. Occasionally, weight gain, breast tenderness, nausea, and irregular bleeding are mild side effects. Oral contraceptive pills are usually well-tolerated in women with endometriosis.

Progestins

Progestins [for example, medroxyprogesterone acetate (Provera, Cycrin, Amen), norethindrone acetate, norgestrel acetate (Ovrette)] are more potent than birth control pills and are recommended for women who do not obtain pain relief from or cannot take a birth control pill.

Side effects are more common and include:

* breast tenderness,

* bloating,

* weight gain,

* irregular uterine bleeding, and

* depression.

Since the absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) induced by high doses of progestins can last many months after cessation of therapy, these drugs are not recommended for women planning pregnancy.

Other drugs used to treat endometriosis

Danazol (Danocrine)

Danazol (Danocrine) is a synthetic drug that creates a high androgen (male type hormone) and low estrogen hormonal environment by interfering with ovulation and ovarian production of estrogen. Eighty percent of women who take this drug will have pain relief and shrinkage of endometriosis implants, but up to 75% of women develop side effects from the drug.

Side effects can include:

* weight gain,

* edema,

* decreased breast size,

* acne,

* oily skin,

* hirsutism (male pattern hair growth),

* deepening of the voice,

* headache,

* hot flashes,

* changes in libido, and

* mood changes.

All of these changes are reversible, except for voice changes; but the return to normal may take many months. Danazol should not be taken by women with certain types of liver, kidney, and heart conditions.

Aromatase inhibitors

A newer approach to the treatment of endometriosis has involved the administration of drugs known as aromatase inhibitors [for example, anastrozole (Arimidex) and letrozole (Femara)]. These drugs act by interrupting local estrogen formation within the endometriosis implants themselves. They also inhibit estrogen production in the ovary, brain, and other sources, such as adipose tissue. Research is still ongoing to characterize the effectiveness of aromatase inhibitors in the management of endometriosis. Aromatase inhibitors cause significant bone loss with prolonged use and cannot be used alone without other medications in premenopausal women because they stimulate development of multiple follicles at ovulation.

Surgical treatment of endometriosis

Surgical treatment for endometriosis can be useful when the symptoms of endometriosis are severe or when there has been an inadequate response to medical treatment. Surgery is the preferred treatment when there is anatomic distortion of the pelvic organs or obstruction of the bowel or urinary tract. Surgical therapies for endometriosis may be either classified as conservative, in which the uterus and ovarian tissue is preserved, or definitive, which involves hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), with or without removal of the ovaries.

Conservative surgery is typically carried out by laparoscopy. Endometrial implants may be excised or obliterated by laser. If the disease is extensive and anatomy is distorted, laparotomy (opening of the abdominal wall via a larger incision) may be required.

While surgical treatments can be very effective in the reduction of pain, the recurrence rate of endometriosis following surgical treatment has been estimated to be as high as 40%. Many doctors recommend for women who have had surgery for endometriosis to take oral medications after surgery to help maintain symptom relief.

Treatment of infertility associated with endometriosis

Endometriosis is more common in infertile, compared to fertile, women. However, the condition usually does not fully prevent conception. Most women with endometriosis will still be able to conceive, especially those with mild to moderate endometriosis. It is estimated that up to 70% of women with mild and moderate endometriosis will conceive within three years without any specific treatment.

The reasons for a decrease in fertility are not completely understood, but might be due to both anatomic and hormonal factors. The presence of endometriosis may involve masses of tissue or scarring (adhesions) within the pelvis that may distort normal anatomical structures, such as Fallopian tubes, which transport the eggs from the ovaries. Alternatively, endometriosis may affect fertility through the production of hormones and other substances that have a negative effect on ovulation, fertilization of the egg, and/or implantation of the embryo. Infertility associated with endometriosis is more common in women with severe forms of the disease.

Treatment options for infertility associated with endometriosis are varied, but most doctors believe that surgical treatments are superior to hormonal or medical treatments for endometriosis when the goal is enhancement of fertility. Assisted reproduction techniques may also be used when appropriate in combination with surgical therapy.

Endometriosis At A Glance

* Endometriosis is the growth of endometrial tissue (cells that normally grow inside the uterus (womb), but in a location outside of the uterus. Endometriosis is most commonly found on other organs of the pelvis.

* The exact cause of endometriosis has not been identified.

* Endometriosis is more common in women who are experiencing infertility than in fertile women, but the condition does not fully prevent conception.

* Most women with endometriosis have no symptoms, in which case therapy is neither appropriate nor necessary.

* Pelvic pain during menstruation or ovulation can be a symptom of endometriosis, but may also occur in normal women.

* Endometriosis can be suspected by the practitioner by the woman's pattern of symptoms, and sometimes during a physical examination, but the definite diagnosis is confirmed by surgery, usually laparoscopy.

* Treatment of endometriosis includes medication and surgery for both pain relief and treatment of infertility if pregnancy is desired.
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 9:52pm On Jun 12, 2009
bumping back up to the top.

There has to be other women out there with extremely painful periods

Pain in thier stomach between periods

Spotting between periods

Pain during or after sex

Pain in your lower stomach or back when physically active

Pain that interfers with your daily life
Re: Endometriosis by kaysie83: 11:37pm On Jun 13, 2009
@sistawoman

I have endo stage 4. Had a laparoscopy and a laparotomy last year. I am on hormone treatment at the moment.
Re: Endometriosis by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 17, 2009
a friend of mine former NLer had endometriosis

its unlikely that she can have kids

her only regret is that she didnt see her painful periods as more than just that

@sistawoman

why the interest in the topic
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 2:01pm On Jun 20, 2009
kaysie83:

@sistawoman

I have endo stage 4. Had a laparoscopy and a laparotomy last year. I am on hormone treatment at the moment.

If you dont mind I would love to talk with you off board. Please email me or hit me up via YIM

salsera:

a friend of mine former NLer had endometriosis

its unlikely that she can have kids

her only regret is that she didnt see her painful periods as more than just that

@sistawoman

why the interest in the topic

All of the signs are there that I might have Endo but will know for sure when i go in for my lapo at the end of the month actually on Friday the 26th.
Re: Endometriosis by kaysie83: 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2009
@sistawoman
your YIM and e-mail is hidden, so I can't add you.
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 7:36pm On Jun 22, 2009
smith972

my home internet is down. But hopefully Comcast will be out today to fix it.
Re: Endometriosis by kaysie83: 3:41pm On Jun 23, 2009
@sistawoman, I have added you to my YIM list. Buzz me when u are ready to talk.
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 4:02pm On Jun 23, 2009
I will do just that as soon as i can get Comcast out to my house to fix my internet, phone and cable service. I cant believe all three went down at the same time.

Needless to say I have been on the phone with the CEO's office this morning.
Re: Endometriosis by kaysie83: 8:50pm On Jul 11, 2009
Hey sistawoman,

how did your laparoscopy go ?
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 8:53pm On Jul 11, 2009
She found stage 3 and burned them all out with a lazier mostly on my left side.

there is more but I would like to discuss in private
Re: Endometriosis by kaysie83: 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2009
Call me on yahoo messenger in half an hour.
Re: Endometriosis by sistawoman: 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2009
ok

(1) (Reply)

Donate Blood And Save A Life / Photos: Guys Now Undergo Surgeries To Have Chest, Abs And Muscles (must See) / COVID-19: Anambra Commences Second Phase Of Vaccination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.