Stats: 3,166,122 members, 7,863,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 08:46 AM

official Igbo Q&A Thread - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / official Igbo Q&A Thread (3951 Views)

A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / A Thread For Mixed Heritage Nigerians / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 2:55am On Jun 16, 2009
I agree that ONE UNIFIED Igbo identity is a new concept. But the Igbo people have existed for thousands of years.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ChinenyeN(m): 3:19am On Jun 16, 2009
Okay, now I see where our misunderstanding is. Anyway, yeah, I agree with you, but I would only add one thing. Even though Igbo people existed for thousands of years, they did not exist as Igbo people. Aside from that, I agree.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Jun 16, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Okay, now I see where our misunderstanding is. Anyway, yeah, I agree with you, but I would only add one thing. Even though Igbo people existed for thousands of years, they did not exist as Igbo people. Aside from that, I agree.

Thats the bug question, if they came from the same place they would have seen themselves as one people because there obviously weren't 30-40 million Igbo people with dozens of subgroups 3 thousand years ago. The fact is that we know very little about our ancestors and where they came from, hence we don't know what 'Igbo' means.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by AndreUweh(m): 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
IGBO means ndi na EGBO mkpa. Those who solve problems or those who solve their peoples problems. Egbo later changed to Igbo. Igbo people are actually problem solvers.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by preselect(m): 10:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
ezeagu:

Thats the bug question, if they came from the same place they would have seen themselves as one people because there obviously weren't 30-40 million Igbo people with dozens of subgroups 3 thousand years ago. The fact is that we know very little about our ancestors and where they came from, hence we don't know what 'Igbo' means.

i once heard that the igbos are people from different parts of africa who came to the present day south-east nigeria and developed a language and a culture.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fingard02k(m): 10:23pm On Jun 17, 2009
@ChinenyeN
I always respect your comment here but you disappointed me by saying that the "Igbo" started early 90s or during the time of colonization,even my 2yrs old niece will not talk that rubbish.you said the word "Igbo"started early 90s or during colonization time find,are telling me that igbo-ukwu,igboeze, is a new name or what? When we know that e.g igbo-ukwu had been there for over five centuries ago and bear the same name igbo and other communities too.see let me tell you what you dont know about igbo language,the igbo we speak today is not exactly what is spoken in ancient time take this for example how we count now is not how they count then (ancient time) e.g then ọgụ means twenty but now twenty means iri abụọ. back to question the word "Igbo" is an ancient word just like ọka(Awka),ọlụ(orlu),nrị,erị,ọkija,agbaja etc which can only be interpreted by old man that knows igbo history or good Igbo scholar,so its way beyond you okay.think again
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ezeagu(m): 10:43pm On Jun 17, 2009
fingard02k:

@ChinenyeN
I always respect your comment here but you disappointed me by saying that the "Igbo" started early 90s or during the time of colonization,even my 2yrs old niece will not talk that rubbish.you said the word "Igbo"started early 90s or during colonization time find,are telling me that[b] igbo-ukwu,igboeze[/b], is a new name or what? When we know that e.g igbo-ukwu had been there for over five centuries ago and bear the same name igbo and other communities too.see let me tell you what you dont know about igbo language,the igbo we speak today is not exactly what is spoken in ancient time take this for example how we count now is not how they count then (ancient time) e.g then ọgụ means twenty but now twenty means iri abụọ. back to question the word "Igbo" is an ancient word just like ọka(Awka),ọlụ(orlu),nrị,erị,ọkija,agbaja etc which can only be interpreted by old man that knows igbo history or good Igbo scholar,so its way beyond you okay.think again

Wow, thats a good observation, why didn't I think of that?
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ChinenyeN(m): 12:43am On Jun 18, 2009
@ fingard02k
No. You misunderstood me. I was not talking about "Igbo", the word. I was speaking of "Igbo", the identity. I know that the word "Igbo" has been around since before colonialism. I even stated that in one of my earlier posts. It is also that very fact (the fact that the word "Igbo" has been around since before colonialism) that I, along with others like Ezeagu, are wondering what it means.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Abagworo(m): 9:00am On Jun 18, 2009
As someone who loves culture and still has scores of aged people around me,i'll reveal one thing to those who didnt know.igbos are simply people with igboukwu ancestry that reside in any other part of present igboland.wherever they went the indigenes referred to them as igbos.the biggest settlement they have outside their ancestral land is ama-igbo(a name given to them by orus who were there neighbours) which in some igbo dialects could be ogbe-igbo.there is ama-hausa in owerri just to give an idea.igbo-eze,igbo-akiri ,obi-igbo etc are their other settlements.we have also 1)ngwa-ukwu,obi-ngwa and umungwa.2)aro-chukwu,aro-ndizuogu,aro-ngwa,umu-aro.this is just a tip of the ice berge.we can deduce that igbo,ngwa,oru and aro saw themselves as different in the past.Without mordern day centralised igbo,these four groups would not communicate easily.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ChinenyeN(m): 5:53pm On Jun 18, 2009
Okay, thanks Abagworo. So now, when Oru people referred to Igbo-Ukwu people as "Igbo", what exactly did Oru people mean by that? How did Oru people come about to give Igbo their name?
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fingard02k(m): 11:29pm On Jun 19, 2009
I have this three question to ask my people.
1) Is ọfọ still in existance?if yes does it still have power?
2) In your town who takes the final decision?,igwe/eze,ndị-ọzọ,
3) What happened to our dear akụkọ ịfo/akụkọ ịro and egwu ọnwa,do you still remember those days? Has it died or what.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ifyalways(f): 11:38pm On Jun 19, 2009
fingard02k:

I have this three question to ask my people.
1) Is ọfọ still in existance?if yes those it still have power?
2) In your town who takes the final decision?,igwe/eze,ndị-ọzọ,
3) What happened to our dear akụkọ ịfo/akụkọ ịro and egwu ọnwa,do you still remember those days? Has it died or what.

1. . . .Ofo ka di ndu na akpa ike.Oji ofor ga ala 24/7.Ogu e ji ofor luo,ikpe na ama ndi mmuo.
2. . . .Igwe takes the final decision.he consults with ndi nze na ozo BUT the final decision to every matter lies with the igwe.
3. . . . .akuko ifo na egwu onwa might have died in our towns/cities but its still in existence in our villas.Times are hard ooo,parents are so busy chasing money and better life hence they rarely have time to spend wxith their kids.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fingard02k(m): 3:05am On Jul 09, 2009
-Biko nu ndị be anyị achọhịm ka ọzọ n'abughị ndị Igbo nụ ịhea m chọrọ ikwu ugbua.Maka na ọga adị ntị njọ ma ha nụ ụdị ịhea,ya bụ k'anyị were Igbo zahachị ajụjụa m ga ajụ.
-Biko nụ ndị be anyị ọbụ gịnị mere oji afia ndị be anyị bụ ndị Igbo ahụ ịsụ asụsụ Igbo n'etinyehi bekee na ya,Ọkachasị n'ebe ndị ntorobia (youths) ndị nọ na mahadum (Univ) nọ.
-Ọbụ gịnị ka anyị geeme wee kwụsị ịhea maka na ọjọnarịrị udele na njọ sịnerie nkakwụ n'ịsị.
-A bia gom wee chọpụta na 95% ndị bụ ndị Igbo niịle mụna ha nọgoro ma kparịta ụka agahi asụnwu Igbo n'etinyehi bekee na ya.
-Nkaa ọpụtara na anyị anyị bụ ndị amarọ asụ asụsụ anyị Igbo ọfụma.
-Keduzi ka ndị ọbia na abụhị ndị Igbo g'esi mụta asụsụ anyị bụ Igbo nka anyị bụ ndị Igbo ama nsụnwu asụsụ anyị.
-Biko nu onye ọbụla ga azahachị ajụjụa m'ọbụ jụa ajụjụ gbasara ajụjụ mụa za m'ọbụ jụọ ajụjụ kwuo ya n'igbo ka ndị n'abụhị ndị gharị ị nụ ịhe anyị nee ekwu maka ya n'ịhị n'ọdị ntị njọ ma ha nụ ya.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fingard02k(m): 3:05am On Jul 09, 2009
-Biko nu ndị be anyị achọhịm ka ọzọ n'abughị ndị Igbo nụ ịhea m chọrọ ikwu ugbua.Maka na ọga adị ntị njọ ma ha nụ ụdị ịhea,ya bụ k'anyị were Igbo zahachị ajụjụa m ga ajụ.
-Biko nụ ndị be anyị ọbụ gịnị mere oji afia ndị be anyị bụ ndị Igbo ahụ ịsụ asụsụ Igbo n'etinyehi bekee na ya,Ọkachasị n'ebe ndị ntorobia (youths) ndị nọ na mahadum (Univ) nọ.
-Ọbụ gịnị ka anyị geeme wee kwụsị ịhea maka na ọjọnarịrị udele na njọ sịnerie nkakwụ n'ịsị.
-A bia gom wee chọpụta na 95% ndị bụ ndị Igbo niịle mụna ha nọgoro ma kparịta ụka agahi asụnwu Igbo n'etinyehi bekee na ya.
-Keduzi ka ndị ọbia na abụhị ndị Igbo g'esi mụta asụsụ anyị bụ Igbo nka anyị bụ ndị Igbo ama nsụnwu asụsụ anyị.
-Biko nu onye ọbụla ga azahachị ajụjụa m'ọbụ jụa ajụjụ gbasara ajụjụ mụa za m'ọbụ jụọ ajụjụ kwuo ya n'igbo ka ndị n'abụhị ndị gharị ị nụ ịhe anyị nee ekwu maka ya n'ịhị n'ọdị ntị njọ ma ha nụ ya.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 3:47am On Jul 15, 2009
fingard02k:

Solu The Ndebe Project - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=72209787660&ref=ts http://ndebe..com/
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by AndreUweh(m): 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2009
Obugi nadi Ndiigbo na emeya. Mba nile nwere ndi guru akwukwo hie nne na etinye bekee na asusu ha.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fayahsoul: 6:44am On Jul 24, 2009
Ndi igbo/ibo/eboe/heeboe bu ndi hebrew.

Look, igbos are the real hebrews. The ancient hebrews were black afurakans not no damn semite. Who or what the hell is a semite anyway? There's no such thing as a jew. Those white/pink/albino ashkenazim jews in israel are impostors. They are khazaars from russian region who coverted to judaism in 7th century ad.

Igbo have always been in igboland but migrated north with other afurakan groups to kemet/egypt and the so-called middle east which was actually north-east afuraka. they also migrated back south upon invasion by persians and arabs.

Igbo/hebrew/ibrit/ivrit is a language not an ethnicity. Study the igbo tradition closely and you will see that it's an untextualized pentateuch. There are over a thousand igbo words that match ancient hebrew. A stone has been found in igbo land with ancient hebrew inscriptions indicating the tribe of Gad. Our people were sold into slavery as predicted in deuteronomy and so on.

Igbo has a meaning but it's too ancient to phantom
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2009
fayahsoul:

Ndi igbo/ibo/eboe/heeboe bu ndi hebrew.

Look, igbos are the real hebrews. The ancient hebrews were black afurakans not no damn semite. Who or what the hell is a semite anyway? There's no such thing as a jew. Those white/pink/albino ashkenazim jews in israel are impostors. They are khazaars from russian region who coverted to judaism in 7th century ad.

Igbo have always been in igboland but migrated north with other afurakan groups to kemet/egypt and the so-called middle east which was actually north-east afuraka. they also migrated back south upon invasion by persians and arabs.

Igbo/hebrew/ibrit/ivrit is a language not an ethnicity. Study the igbo tradition closely and you will see that it's an untextualized pentateuch. There are over a thousand igbo words that match ancient hebrew. A stone has been found in igbo land with ancient hebrew inscriptions indicating the tribe of Gad. Our people were sold into slavery as predicted in deuteronomy and so on.

Igbo has a meaning but it's too ancient to phantom

Just stop you are effing embarassing yourself. Igbo people are not HEBREW. We are Igbo. If you feel being Igbo is not good enough for you, then please leave the tribe and go to Israel. I don't know if you're trying to claim the Hebrews because you want to claim Jesus. Jesus was Hebrew, let it rest. I don't want to claim Jesus was a member of my tribe. If the Hebrews were lucky enough to be chosen then let them have him.

All Igbos that try to claim this stupidly irrational connection to the Hebrews are suffering from a TERRIBLE inferiority complex. Focus on IGBO achievements and IGBO heroes and leave the Hebrews alone. They are NOT our people, they NEVER WERE.

We are who we are. We are Igbo, we are African, and we have been here for millenia. If being Igbo makes you so ashamed that you want to claim Israel then please publicly announce that you are no longer Igbo and LEAVE.

But don't come here and start typing rubbish about Igbos being Hebrew. That's a crock of bullshit.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 24, 2009
Igbo does not mean anything. It is the name that our ancestors gave themselves. End of story. I don't know why so many people think it has to mean something.

There are HUNDREDS of Igbo words that don't mean anything.

What does oche mean? Chair. Or wait maybe you think Oche is a combination of O and Che and now you think that O must mean something else and Che must mean another thing and they combined to form chair.

No, sometimes, a word just means what it means and doesn't have to come from anywhere.

Our ancestors were probably sitting around one day and somebody suggested they give themselves a group name. And somebody else probably suggested the name Igbo and they probably voted on it and decided to call themselves Igbo. Did it have to mean anything, no?

it was a Made-UP word just like all the other words in every other language is a made up word. Let it fucking rest before these Judeo-Maniacs come and start claiming that we are the lost tribe of Benjamin or whatever.

Seriously, Bleep anyone that thinks Igbos are Jews. If you want to be a jew so badly then move to Israel and see how they treat you there.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fayahsoul: 6:35pm On Jul 24, 2009
@ sugasmelly,

See this self-hating prostitute. What do u know? You have eyes but can't see shit.

Obviously u did not overstand my post. Read it again you chicken head before coming here to flap your wings and throb your head as u speak chickenese.

The white devil has stolen your history and heritage and left u bamboozled. Let me guess, u also think that kemet/egypt was founded by whites/semites too. lol.

I won't waste my time on u because i have seen some of your previous posts. U are a cheap dirty LovePeddler who thinks she knows but u don't know nathing. u are just another lost cause.

Stinking Arrow. Go spread your legs to the next highest bidder.

How can a self-hater tell me who i am? lol.

piss off. . .u piss bag scalawag.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 24, 2009
fayahsoul:

@ sugasmelly,

See this self-hating prostitute. What do u know? You have eyes but can't see shit.

Obviously u did not overstand my post. Read it again you chicken head before coming here to flap your wings and throb your head as u speak chickenese.

The white devil has stolen your history and heritage and left u bamboozled. Let me guess, u also think that kemet/egypt was founded by whites/semites too. lol.

I won't waste my time on u because i have seen some of your previous posts. U are a cheap dirty LovePeddler who thinks she knows but u don't know nathing. u are just another lost cause.

Stinking Arrow. Go spread your legs to the next highest bidder.

How can a self-hater tell me who i am? lol.

piss off. . .u piss bag scalawag.

insults = you have nothing intelligent to say.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 24, 2009
And you seriously cannot mean to tell me about self-hate.

Self-Hate = Wanting to be Hebrew when God made you IGBO.

God, I hate illiterate people.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by ChinenyeN(m): 11:09pm On Jul 24, 2009
Sugabelly, do you mind stating some of those hundreds of Igbo words that don't mean anything. .
Also, our ancestors did not give themselves the name "Igbo".
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by asha80(m): 6:52pm On Jul 25, 2009
I thought someone said sugabelly is the same person as fahaysoul
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fayahsoul: 9:00pm On Jul 25, 2009
Tufiakwa!

Heavens forbid that i, a God incarnate, be confused with a low-down weave-wearing perm-loving self-hating chicken head. A kezia. A common LovePeddler. The lowest scum of the earth. Tufia!

Blessed be the day all dirty chicken heads disappear from the face of the earth.

I hate them with all my being
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 25, 2009
fayahsoul:

Tufiakwa!

Heavens forbid that i, a God incarnate, be confused with a low-down weave-wearing perm-loving self-hating chicken head. A kezia. A common LovePeddler. The lowest scum of the earth. Tufia!

Blessed be the day all dirty chicken heads disappear from the face of the earth.

I hate them with all my being

Shows Fayahsoul knows nothing whatsoever about me. *sigh* Time to leave the hoi poloi of the Internet to their merry selves. Bye everyone.
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by fayahsoul: 11:06pm On Jul 25, 2009
sugabelly:

Shows Fayahsoul knows nothing whatsoever about me. *sigh* Time to leave the hoi poloi of the Internet to their merry selves. Bye everyone.

[size=21pt] Huuuuraaay!!! grin

Good riddance to bad filthy rubbish!!
  tongue[/size]
Re: official Igbo Q&A Thread by sley4life(m): 3:35am On Jul 26, 2009
i hail

How To Say I Love You In Different Languages / Igbo's Start Planning/Actions And Stop Talking Too Much / Ti Eniyan Ba Nse Ogun Ti Kii Sise Fun

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56