Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,915 members, 7,835,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House (1153 Views)

Veiled Sisters Uploading Their Pictures On The Internet... / Secrets Of A Muslim Woman / Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 11:59am On Jun 09, 2009
Veiled Muslim woman in the White House
Written by By Muhammed Qasim

Recently, Dalia Mogahed, a hijab-clad American Muslim, made history as the first Muslim woman appointed to a position in President Barack Obama’s administration. She sits on a newly-formed interfaith advisory board the administration hopes will improve relations with Muslims in the US and across the globe.

The Egyptian-born American heads the Gallup American Center for Muslim Studies, a research center that produces studies on Muslim public opinion worldwide.

In an exclusive interview, IslamOnline. net discussed with Egyptian-born Mogahed her new role, the challenges facing Muslims, Islamophobia in the US and her own success story.

How do you feel about being the first Muslim appointed to the Obama administration?

I am not actually the first Muslim. There have been other Muslims appointed to Obama’s administration. I am also not the only Muslim on the White House advisory Council on Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships. I join Dr. Eboo Patel as the second Muslim on the council. I am, however, the first Muslim woman in this council. I feel very honored for the privilege to serve in this way, but also recognize the responsibility that I’ve agreed to take on. I see my role much more in terms of what needs to get done rather than a historical accomplishment. I believe the accomplishments are yet to be fulfilled.

- What is the role of the Council on Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnership?

I am a member of a 25-person advisory council to the White House focused on offering solutions for societal problems sourced in the wisdom of faith communities. More specifically, I am on the Inter-religious Dialogue and Cooperation Task Force, a group of only 5. We will work on recommendations for our area of focus and these will be reviewed by the larger council and then included in an annual report with recommendations from the council to the President.

What is your role as an advisor on Islam?

I would not say I am an advisor on Islam. I would say that it is my role to convey the facts about what Muslims think and feel. I see my role as offering the voices of the silenced majority of Muslims in America and around the world to the council so that our deliberations are informed by their ideas and wisdom. I believe that I was chosen because the administration cares about what Muslims think and wants to listen.

- What kind of advice would you be giving Obama to improve relations with US Muslims and the Muslim world?

I would advise him to listen first and foremost. Many have claimed that terrorists have ‘hijacked Islam’. I disagree. I think Islam is safe and thriving in the lives of Muslims around the world. What the terrorists have been allowed to take over are Muslim grievances. Muslim concerns over injustice have been largely dismissed by the previous administration leaving a vacuum exploited by extremists. This is a dangerous reality for all of us. Instead, the US must hear mainstream Muslim concerns even if America does not agree with their perceptions. These issues can no longer be ignored or left and the extremists to monopolize.

What areas of domestic and foreign policies you think the administration should be introducing change in?

I would endorse the action plan outlined in the report “Changing Course” which recommends four areas of action: Respect, Reform (political and economic) and Resolution of conflict. When it comes to the US, I would recommend that a senior member of the administration go on a “listening tour” of the US and hear what Muslim Americans are concerned over. Like all Americans, they are worried about the economic crisis, their financial future and jobs. And like many other US citizens, Muslim Americans are also worried about racial profiling, discriminatory immigration policy and the erosion of civil liberties.

What do you think of the rising Islamphobia in America?

Islamphobia in America is very real. Gallup finds that Muslims are among the most unfavorably viewed groups in the US and only a little over a third of Americans say they have no prejudice against Muslims. This presents a grave danger to America as a whole. The disease of racism, by definition, is a bias in judgment. This means that racism clouds sound judgment and leads people to make irrational decisions. It also divides a nation and prevents the full utilization of its intellectual and cultural resources. Racism is wasteful. Racism is a strategic disadvantage. I am very proud of the progress America has made in fighting this problem as it relates to the relationship between blacks and whites. In 1956 only 4% of Americans approved of a marriage between whites and blacks. The marriage that produced our president was illegal in Virginia when he was born. Today 80% of Americans approve of marriage between blacks and whites. Last year, Barack Obama became the first Democratic Presidential candidate in decades to carry Virginia. We are a stronger and smarter nation because of this growth. Our next growth spurt will be in ridding our society of anti-Muslim prejudice.

What do you think US Muslims themselves need to do?

Muslim Americans lag behind other Americans in their political and civic participation according to our research (National Portrait). The best thing they can do to strengthen America is to become fully engaged in writing its next chapter by getting involved and feeling a strong sense of ownership for the future of their country.

What are your hopes and aspirations for US Muslims?

I hope that they enrich America by becoming fully engaged in its growth and development, as well as its struggles.

Tell us about your own journey of success as an American Muslim woman, with hijab. What challenges have you faced along the way?

I have been tremendously blessed, Alhamdulillah. I feel that mine is a uniquely American story. I grew up in an educated middle class home, but with no special connections or privilege. By excelling in school, I was able to attend a top university and helped pay my way by working during the summer as an engineering intern. My summer job was at a paper factory in a small Wisconsin town. I was only 19 years old. Managing technicians often reminded me that they’ve been working on the machine longer than I’ve been on Earth. Many also told me that I was the first Muslim they’d ever met. Very few women worked in the factory, so I was already a minority just as a female, but I was also the only hijab-wearing woman in the entire town and the only Muslim in the factory. All of this of course presented a challenge, but one that taught me a great deal. Once people got to know me I became a professional to them, not a woman in hijab. I took this experience with me to my permanent job after college and to my graduate work. These situations taught me that living according to your conscience was more important than comfortably conforming to your surroundings. I think this simple lesson of life is one that has helped me succeed and given me the courage to face the most difficult and daunting situations.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=664&catid=3&Itemid=129
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Abuzola(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
ALLAHU AKBAR, Islam in the white house, the promise of ALLAH has come true, Inspiring story for our women to emulate
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Abuzola(m): 12:32pm On Jun 09, 2009
Pentagon is next, inshaAllah
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 12:48pm On Jun 09, 2009
You had me grinning, brother Abuzola. smiley

Ameen, to your prayer. And I pray; may Allah (S.W.T) help her (as well as other Muslims) deliver a good job.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by JJYOU: 12:59pm On Jun 09, 2009
Abuzola:

ALLAHU AKBAR, Islam in the white house, the promise of ALLAH has come true, Inspiring story for our women to emulate
Abuzola:

lets hope she doesnt plant a bomb there. by the way why dont you fornicating men get a hijab?
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by mukina2: 2:06pm On Jun 09, 2009
JJYOU:

lets hope she doesnt plant a bomb there. by the way why dont you fornicating men get a hijab?

a very stupid statement, if you know you have nothing at all to contribute to a topic, please do not post.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by spikedcylinder: 2:21pm On Jun 09, 2009
JJYOU:

If someone said the same thing about Christianity, I'm sure you'd be ejaculating by now. Ode.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Lagosboy: 2:47pm On Jun 09, 2009
JJYOU:

I do have respect for you but you have lost it all now , I swear. Your a matured person and this sarcastic comment is pregnant with hatred. It is really not needed and you could show humility by acknowledging it was needless and you withdraw it.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 9:10pm On Jun 09, 2009
I've been reiterating it; some christians on this board are only, I mean ONLY here to crack trouble. And nothing more.

I wonder what on Allah's earth called for that snooty reply by JJYOU? I can't find any but sheer madness. Sorry if I sound sooo rude. shocked
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jun 09, 2009
the way muslims go crying when a muslim moves to a position makes me wonder.

Abuzola:

What does this mean? What promise of allah? That a muslim would be in the white house?
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2009
spikedcylinder:

If someone said the same thing about Christianity, I'm sure you'd be ejaculating by now. Ode.

There have been more than 1000 said about christianity, we havent bothered. Rather we get harassed and banned for speaking facts on these boards.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by MrCrackles(m): 9:30pm On Jun 09, 2009
davidylan:

There have been more than 1000 said about christianity, we havent bothered. Rather we get harassed and banned for speaking facts on these boards.

This is not true Daffidi!
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by MrCrackles(m): 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2009
JJYOU:

I guess everyone else has spoken my mind!

Very reckless and senseless comments!
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by MrCrackles(m): 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2009
Can you religious fanatics pls stop using this forum as an avenue 4 promoting bigotry and fuelling inter-religious tensions!

Please, for fuc.k sake!! cool
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 09, 2009
MrCrackles:

This is not true Daffidi!

I was banned and harassed today for DARING to confront the glaring false allegation that Asiya was the wife of pharaoh. She never existed and i dedicated two posts to completely deconstructing this falsehood.

I was banned and my posts DELIBERATELY removed.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2009
MrCrackles:

Can you religious fanatics please stop using this forum as an avenue for promoting bigotry and inter-religious tensions!

Please, for fuc.k sake!! cool

which is EXACTLY what abuzola is doing with this inflammatory post - ALLAHU AKBAR, Islam in the white house, the promise of ALLAH has come true, Inspiring story for our women to emulate

What does that mean to you? Is the promise of allah that America's position as a christian nation would be overthrown by islam? Many of us are genuinely worried . . . we know what countries ruled by muslims look like.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by MrCrackles(m): 6:36am On Jun 10, 2009
davidylan:

which is EXACTLY what abuzola is doing with this inflammatory post - ALLAHU AKBAR, Islam in the white house, the promise of ALLAH has come true, Inspiring story for our women to emulate

What does that mean to you? Is the promise of allah that America's position as a christian nation would be overthrown by islam? Many of us are genuinely worried . . . we know what countries ruled by muslims look like.

The message is to everyone David, i am not being selective or trying to exonerate anyone here
I have just said it for everyone to stop fuelling religious hatred!
I am sick and tired of muslims and christians bashing each other, hence my outburst
I hope you see my point
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by MrCrackles(m): 6:37am On Jun 10, 2009
davidylan:

I was banned and harassed today for DARING to confront the glaring false allegation that Asiya was the wife of pharaoh. She never existed and i dedicated two posts to completely deconstructing this falsehood.

I was banned and my posts DELIBERATELY removed.

I dont know anything about your ban!

But how come you are still posting? grin
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by oyinda3(f): 6:40am On Jun 10, 2009
cooooool cheesy
that's good news
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Tudor3(m): 8:17am On Jun 10, 2009
JJYOU i support you 100%,i just hope that islamist in the white house doesn't blow obama to smithereens. She might hide the killer object in the hijab
I wonder why the islamists on this forum are complaining. . . .as if its beyond them to do such.
You guys should stop hating,we're just concerned for obama thats all. . . .you people do have a track record and reputation.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by spikedcylinder: 9:49am On Jun 10, 2009
davidylan:

That particular poster is very infantile hence my response to him.

Besides that, there are many times on the Christian threads where I have said that I don't agree with people who base their religious beliefs on anti-Christian crusades. I'm sure you're aware of that. smiley
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 3:20pm On Jun 10, 2009
Mts!
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Abuzola(m): 1:36pm On Jun 11, 2009
Hate it or like it Islam will prevail over the world, We are going to rule the world like we once did it (the ummah of Prophet Muhammmad), 300 years ago America was nothing but today u can imagine, Muslims are been feard as mighty and FEAR DEATH NOT, hahaha we will make it sooner than later,
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Tudor3(m): 10:36pm On Jun 11, 2009
. . .keep dreaming.
The world has changed,people can no longer be ruled and dominated by barbaric pigs. . .so whether you like it or not islam is DEAD!
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Abuzola(m): 11:31pm On Jun 11, 2009
Dead ? u must be crazy, where were u when it was discussed on CNN that islam is the fastest growing religion on earth,
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Tudor3(m): 7:37am On Jun 12, 2009
Fastest growing for where? You lustful islamists marry many wives and spawn your evil children all over the place. Islam isn't spreading but population is increasing. But thank goodness, if poverty doesn't cull the evil, america or isreal will do the job
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by rhymz(m): 8:21am On Jun 12, 2009
Guyz cool off,letz stop dis unneccessary religious hate,there is nothin to be gained 4rm it.The guy dat made dat statement abt d woman planting a bomb in d white house waz careless in his comment,i am a christian but i like to respect other ppl's religion too.That having been said,i think d theme of d thread raised some very important issue,ordinaraly,dis appointment shouldn't be different 4rm any similar appointment but becos of suppression of islamic views & d tactlez manner muslims and muslim religious leaderz ve gone abt dier venting dier frustrationz,in d eyez of otherz,they re just anoda terroristz thus the wide spread islamphobia.
I love d way Obama is goin abt mending dis bad relationship,i watched him on cnn give dat very appealing speech to islam world in egypt even against what d americans would ve wanted him to say esp in regard to d palestian-isreali conflict.Now non-muslims like me & others fink dat muslims too should play dier on part instead makin jihadist statement of taking over d world.
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 12:03pm On Jun 12, 2009
Tùdor:

. . .keep dreaming.
The world has changed,people can no longer be ruled and dominated by barbaric pigs. . .so whether you like it or not islam is DEAD!

I wonder if a sane person could say words like this. You must be far out from your sense, Tudor! shocked

And concerning the rapid growing of Islam, were you not informed? Mhn, and you can do nothing in stopping this. cheesy
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by Tudoor(m): 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2009
Very funny the way my posts are being deleted and me banned. I actually dont care!
Islam isn't growing to assume otherwise is fallacy
Re: Veiled Muslim Woman In The White House by muhsin(m): 1:43pm On Jun 12, 2009
Rubbish supposed to be dumped into trash, isn't it? grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Wins Top Price For Quran Competition In Dubai / Muslims Beat Sheik And His Family With Clubs For Converting To Christianity / Islam Vs Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.