Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' (32703 Views)

How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon — Olakunle Taiwo,tribune Reporter Who / Face of SACKED, Nigerian Tribune Editor Who Hoaxed Fake Prof Sagay Interview / Tribune Sacks Reporter Who Fabricated Sagay's Interview (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by ogunsinamayowa(m): 12:52pm On Dec 23, 2015
How ‘Sagay’ interview ruined my honeymoon — Olakunle Taiwo,Tribune reporter who conducted controversial interview.

I got married on Saturday, December 19, 2015 and with my wife, I looked forward to beautiful days of honeymoon. But if that was a dream, it never came to pass. An interview I conducted with someone I had related with in recent time as Professor Itse Sagay ruined everything.

Olakunle Timothy Taiwo
How did it start? Sometimes last year, there was a need to seek the views of constitutional lawyers in one of my reports. My boss, Kunle Oderemi, who heads the politics desk, asked me to seek Professor Itse Sagay’s views also. I asked him to give me his phone number. I collected his phone, searched and dialed 0802313**** and I asked ‘Hello sir, am I on to Professor Itse Sagay?’ ‘I am Olakunle Taiwo from Nigerian Tribune’ and the person replied ‘Yes, what can I do for you?’ and I continued: ‘I would like to seek your views on some issues as a legal expert’, he responded: ‘Can you please send me a text, because I am busy?’. I replied ‘Okay sir.’

I sent him a text but he didn’t reply then I never called back until the middle of this year that I was transferred to Sunday Tribune. I started calling the number back around August/September and I would ask for his reactions and on several occasions, he replied on Whatsapp and once as a text message. In fact, the number was the first I called when the matriarch of the Awolowo dynasty passed on. The news of Mama Awolowo’s death came to the owner of the number as a shock. Then I asked for his reaction and he did nothing more or less.

A few days ago, I called the number again and asked that I would like to have an elaborate interview with the man on the legal implications of the Kogi governorship election, why key institutions are corrupt, the president’s anti-graft crusade, among other national issues. And he asked if I could come to Lagos or do a phone interview. I said since we planned to publish it quickly I would prefer to conduct it on phone. But the interview could not be conducted that day. It was conducted the following day around 3:30 pm. The interview was published on December 20, 2015, a day after my wedding.

I received a call from my Editor, Sina Oladeinde, that Professor Sagay had disclaimed the interview. I was stunned, surprised but calm, because I had the audio recordings of the interview spanning 46minutes 16 seconds. I was calm because apart from my conscience being very clear on the matter, I knew I had also related on phone with this respectable Nigerian, seeing him as a mentor, especially when I discovered that despite his age, he was so ICT savvy, communicating not just with sms, but interestingly on Whatsapp. He was even one of the key invitees to my wedding. He not only wished me well but promised to be at the event. I felt on top of the world. I was so happy to the extent that I instructed the event planners to create a special seat for the presidential adviser on anti-corruption war. But he did not come.

The audio recordings of the interview was/is in my phone and so, I played it for my editor to hear and be convinced that I didn’t concoct the interview. But I saw some signs of disturbance in my editor’s countenance after listening to a few minutes of the interview. He said he was not sure that was Sagay’s voice. He asked for the number again. I gave him. Then he called Mr Oderemi (on whose phone I copied the number in the first instance last year) to also forward Sagay’s number to him. Oderemi supplied the number- 0802313****- and I did not immediately see trouble until we compared the two numbers and discovered I had made a mistake while writing out the number in the first instance and I had all along been calling the wrong number-0802313****-, and speaking with the wrong person, instead of Professor Itse Sagay. I almost collapsed at the lobby of the hotel which was hosting my honeymoon. What have I done to myself, my career, my bosses, my employers, my company that feeds my family, God!? I felt like asking the ground to open up and swallow me. My wife of two days was in the room oblivious of the damage that had been done to our honeymoon. With me, the honeymoon was over in just two days!

But I have read so many reports online (including on Saharareporters) accusing me of concocting an interview with Professor Sagay. I did not set out to do that. I did not do that. I was careless. I could be accused of naivety, taking things for granted. I could be accused of not being alert enough as I should. I plead guilty to all. What I am innocent of is criminal intent in conducting a fake interview.

I joined journalism with an ambition to go far. I never knew there were deadly potholes on my way to realizing my career dream. I hope and pray that this cup shall pass…While accepting responsibility for the error, I state with all sense of responsibility that it was not intentional, not deliberate. In my almost two years in journalism, I have worked hard to build a future in the profession and serve my country, through my employers, truthfully and diligently.

I apologize to Professor Itse Sagay most especially.

But there are lessons to be learnt in all these. I have learnt mine in a very bitter way. I urge my colleagues everywhere to learn from my case.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/12/23/how-%E2%80%98sagay%E2%80%99-interview-ruined-my-honeymoon-olakunle-taiwotribune-reporter-who-conducted

38 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by opalu: 12:56pm On Dec 23, 2015
When two blind men eat, only God knows who packed the draw soup- Igala proverb.

Between the Tribune leadership and this journalist God knows what really transpired.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by OZAOEKPE(f): 12:57pm On Dec 23, 2015
WE HEAR lipsrsealed
Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by omostar: 12:59pm On Dec 23, 2015
I somehow don't believe his narrative. How plausible is it for a random wrong number to turn out to be that of an impersonator. shocked

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by aieromon(m): 1:04pm On Dec 23, 2015
This has got to be the most stewpid journalist ever liveth angry

No further comment

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by vedaxcool(m): 1:09pm On Dec 23, 2015
The same way lies will ruin wailers. So mr. Reporter we know things are hard but farbricating an entire interview is just sick.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by ddippset(m): 1:28pm On Dec 23, 2015
I think the journalist is overzealous, over ambitious and 'over stup1d' you interviewed a man as renowned and revered as professor sagay on the phone and you never thought it wise to see him in person to crosscheck, fine. Then the person on the phone who is supposed to be very close to president Buhari started speaking ill of buhari and against buhari still it didn't occur to you to verify this person. Your nostrils must be too tiny not to smell a rat at that point! It's just like interviewing someone on the phone who claims to be Rotimi amaechi and he's critisizing buhari. Wouldn't you meet him in person to be sure of what your ears are hearing? Instead you ran off to publish. I feel sad and Sorry for the repórter. It's either he didn't fully realize the consequences of his actions or he's dumb.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by obasiken: 1:45pm On Dec 23, 2015
This is the kind of confession u hear in a fake pastor's crusade.
I was on the way to kill pastor. Then i say a light and d light was shinning and i fell and i stood up and i enter the church and fire was burning me and and ........

Mr journalist tell us the truth. This confession get K' Leg

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by RockMaxi: 2:11pm On Dec 23, 2015
obasiken:
This is the kind of confession u hear in a fake pastor's crusade.
I was on the way to kill pastor. Then i say a light and d light was shinning and i fell and i stood up and i enter the church and fire was burning me and and ........

Mr journalist tell us the truth. This confession get K' Leg

The post no get source but I suspected the owner of the number pulled a fast one and he should be charged for impersonation.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Oche211(m): 2:22pm On Dec 23, 2015
Who is the owner of the phone line that granted the interview. Afterall, all sims are registered in Nigeria. Get d guy arrested let's see his face.
How can u communicate wit some1 4 more than a year nd nt realise he is fake especially an impersonator of a big man as prof. Sagay. They even whatsapp self.
I smell a rat 4rm as far as hell fire...

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Eziachi: 2:23pm On Dec 23, 2015
You invited someone neither you nor your wife or any member of both your families never met before to the most intimate event in your life - your wedding! just because he is famous? grin grin Jesus Christ!!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Eziachi: 2:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
This journalist is as dumb as a donkey. If ever, his pathetic tales has any semblance of the truth in it, the tale tell signs were quite visible from day one that you were speaking to the wrong person who will copy and paste any question you send through whatsapp. I now know why people you thought are reasonable enough would still fall victims of 419 scam. This guy was more eager to be a friend of Sagay than the substance of being a good professional, hence his stupidity of invinting someone you never met to your wedding. Criticizing Buhari with no hold bare and you still did not smell a rat? How dumb is that? So, it meant that this newspaper doesn't have researchers in their fold?
And when did someone using whatsapp qualified one as an IT savvy person? grin

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by porka: 3:03pm On Dec 23, 2015
Yimu.

Upload the unfiltered audio interview for all to hear.

Post the two numbers for us to see.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by blazetitov: 3:10pm On Dec 23, 2015
Poor journalist. Go try your hand on some other career that requires paying less attention to details. You need to be street wise too. Everything is not book, book and queens English.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Aufbauh(m): 3:18pm On Dec 23, 2015
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther King

"Never ascribed to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence "- Napoleon Bonaparte

This guy's story is emotionally pathetic but self inflicted.
The classical case of when you're supposed to call Lai Mohammed the image dresser but you end up calling Olise Metuh the Town cryer.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by clefstone(m): 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
The story seems true if u consider that he can't be so stupid to carry out an act he knew would surely backfire

3 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by sukkot: 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
hokay
Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by BlackPeni5: 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2015
Sounds like he was forced to write this...just to save face.

8 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by jaybee104(m): 3:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
Ok
Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by kings09(m): 3:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
Dis is a very expensive mistake

1 Like

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 3:30pm On Dec 23, 2015
Brb

1 Like

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Pavore9: 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2015
Hian!..So many loopholes in his explanation. We will know when he is ready to come clean with the truth!

5 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by moscobabs(m): 3:32pm On Dec 23, 2015
Pure lie!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Psalm18: 3:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
His story does not add up.

More likely he was paid money for the hack job.

What happened to true caller to identify if it was Sagay.

In addition, you are incredibly dumb for you to cook up this story.
Sagay was appointed by Buhari
Sagay will now critize Buhari in our democratic setting where sycophancy reigns and you didn't think to meet Sagay In person.
undecided

13 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by YoursGEJ(m): 3:33pm On Dec 23, 2015
Dasuki will mention this man's name. Who want bet?

7 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by kolnel: 3:34pm On Dec 23, 2015
Sad
Damage control
Nobody will belief your story

3 Likes

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by henrixx(m): 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
Endtime reporter on an endtime honeymoon
Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by Forwetinnah: 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
I SAID IT!!

APC FRAAAAAUD!!
THEY TALK AND DISCREDIT.
Lie Mohammed says one thing...Booooohari discredits the next day.
Adesina Acknowledges an information...Booooohari denies it the next minute
Bunch of hypocritical phoooools running this country down the pit of hell. May Volcanic Lava pour on their heads!!

1 Like

Re: Olakunle Taiwo: 'How ‘sagay’ Interview Ruined My Honeymoon' by PLANETMARS(m): 3:35pm On Dec 23, 2015
lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sylva Went Clubbing, Drinking After Loss At Bayelsa Polls / Photos As PDP Campaigns In Kano Municipal / Gumi: I Feel Pity For The Next President, We Could Face A Greater Insurgency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.