Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,544 members, 7,812,709 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians (7846 Views)

Online Freelance Writing Sites / Get Your Freelance Writer Here! Team Xtreme At Your Service / Fresh Freelance Writing Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by jude4new: 9:37pm On Jun 09, 2009
I heard a friend say recently that she had read an article in the newspaper that discouraged her from trying to become a freelance writer. How sad that good writers are told they can't earn a living doing what they love. You may be thinking about becoming a full-time writer and earning your money as a freelancer. Let me share my experience with you and perhaps give you hope that you can make it.

I started my writing services business in 2003 with a dream and a lot of hope. I still remember all the times I wanted to give up and go back to a corporate job where I could consistently make good money. Perseverance paid off and today I am happy to say that I am a full-time freelance writer supervising my own team of contracted writers.

How it all began

Before I considered striking out on my own, I started writing pro-bono copy for some volunteer organizations that needed promotional materials. You may want to offer your writing to charities and non-profits that you enjoy supporting. When my kids were teenagers, I wrote stories about daily homelife events. Each week I sent stories to my friends and each week they came back with the same response: You should publish these stories as a book. Their encouragement helped me see that I had exceptional writing skills that could be put to good use in making money for myself.

My day job required a lot of writing so I was naturally keeping my skills honed. It occurred to me that I could be making some money on the side so I started taking on writing assignments through Guru.com where I had to bid for projects. At first I was like a weed in a field. There were so many writers and tons of project leads, but I had no idea what to charge; and I was not that confident that I was a great writer. I felt overwhelmed; however, I had paid my yearly fee to join so I decided to give it my best shot. Services such as Elance and Guru are good ways to get started as a freelance writer, but you will not want to stay in a low-paying mode once you improve your skills, have your own portfolio and learn to market yourself and your business. You can either raise your hourly rate and only bid on jobs that will pay you what you are worth, or you can start to find jobs elsewhere.

Market Yourself

The first thing I had to learn was how to market myself. I had little experience but I showcased the few articles I had written and started bidding really low hoping to land a project. During that year, I managed to build my writing portfolio, and I learned to market my skills and define what type of writing I was best at. It seemed that everyone had a website but me and I wasn't going to be left behind in the dust. I got a domain name from Godaddy.com and used their template to create a home page and post a few of my writing samples.

In that first year I learned by trial and error what prices to charge. I searched the Internet for other writing services and compared my prices to theirs. After my business grew to where I was not able to help all the clients needing my services, I took on a couple of experienced writers and formed a team. Together we set our prices according to market trends and stayed a little lower than the guidelines maintained by Writer's Market in order to gain a competitive edge.

If you are considering a career as a freelance writer, you may want to read sign up for my free monthly newsletter or listen to my podcast about freelance writing. These are very helpful resources accessible from the home page of my website. By the way, I did have a professional who knows what they are doing redesign the site for me last year. Now it attracts much more traffic and clients.

There are always learning curves to be considered and even with the best advice, you are going to make some mistakes along the way. Keep believing in yourself. Learn all you can about the business and don't give up. It is worth the pursuit. I wish you well in your writing career.
Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by lanrefront1(m): 12:05am On Jun 19, 2009
What's the name of your website? You did not give it. I presume what's where we can subscribe to your monthly newsletter.
Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by donnaheff: 6:03am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by ecoheight: 3:03am On Feb 11, 2016
You will surely make money writing for infoguidenigeria.com. They have hired over 100 writers so far. Give it a try and you'll smile to the bank . Cheers
Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by campusmarket: 5:27pm On Apr 12, 2017
Wow! Nice post but believe me you would want to check out one of the most secured and safe marketplatform for freelance services like this on https://9jaservices.com . I assure you will like it. 9jaservices is free to register and start using. we have a strong and airtight terms and buyer seller protection to prevent you from getting scammed.

Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by ultrazone(m): 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2017
Re: Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians by Gamelord007: 1:13pm On Feb 05, 2018
try www.post4solution.com a top quality freelance site that supports Naira transactions

(1) (Reply)

Morning Vibes With Dr. Jerry - The First - Episode 148/overcome The Fear Of Succ / Most Famous Novels From other Continents. / The Gift Of Crabs: A Very Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.