Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,806 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel (3897 Views)

"Oloibiri" Where Nigeria's Crude Oil Was 1st Discovered And Drilled(photos) / Buhari Lied About When Oil Was Discovered In Nigeria / What Okonjo-Iweala Said When Oil Was $76 Per Barrel (Flash Back) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by olawalepopoola: 12:10pm On Dec 24, 2015
I have patiently studied trendsn posts and comments on Nairaland. Most people here seems to rain abuses on Mohammodu Buhari for his economic style! The yorubas have a wise saying that goes thus "ti omode subu, yio boju weyin, be agba ba subu, yio wo iwaju" meaning "if a young person falls down, he will look at the back, if an elderly person likewise falls down he will look forward"
The interpretation of this is that we Nigerians (as far as I am concerned a young nation compared to the likes of UK, USA, Russia, Germany etc) must look back and ask questions that needed to be really and genuinely answered by those concerned.
We have continually blame our economic woes on President Mohammodu Buhari style of leadership. However I would like put forward the following questions to anyone that cares:
1. How much was a barrel of oil sold as of January 1st, 2014 until GEJ left government.
2. How much did we save during those days of surplus.
3. How much did PMB met the sale of oil
4. Did the crushing of Naira against Dollars started during PMB's regime.
5. Did we ever challenged our government to tell us how much was in our coffers during GEJ's government.
These and many other questions must be asked before we begin to blame Buhari for our economic misfortunes.
Joseph was the governor general in Egypt in the bible and there was seven (7) years of surplus. 6 years in the case of Ebele Jonathan. While Joseph saved for the days of recession, Jonathan was busy sharing the lots and jeopardising the future of our unborn children! #dasukigate.
This is just my personal view!

25 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Jokay07(m): 12:32pm On Dec 24, 2015
Anybody that is blaming Buhari for this economic woe is a chronic dullard crowned with the spirit of cluelessness.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by olawalepopoola: 12:41pm On Dec 24, 2015
Jokay07:
Anybody that is blaming Buhari for this economic woe is a chronic dullard crowned with the spirit of cluelessness.
Jokay07:
Jokay07:
My brother that person is the most foolish person!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by seunt4ut(m): 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
olawalepopoola:
I have patiently studied trendsn posts and comments on Nairaland. Most people here seems to rain abuses on Mohammodu Buhari for his economic style! The yorubas have a wise saying that goes thus "ti omode subu, yio boju weyin, be agba ba subu, yio wo iwaju" meaning "if a young person falls down, he will look at the back, if an elderly person likewise falls down he will look forward"
The interpretation of this is that we Nigerians (as far as I am concerned a young nation compared to the likes of UK, USA, Russia, Germany etc) must look back and ask questions that needed to be really and genuinely answered by those concerned.
We have continually blame our economic woes on President Mohammodu Buhari style of leadership. However I would like put forward the following questions to anyone that cares:
1. How much was a barrel of oil sold as of January 1st, 2014 until GEJ left government.
2. How much did we save during those days of surplus.
3. How much did PMB met the sale of oil
4. Did the crushing of Naira against Dollars started during PMB's regime.
5. Did we ever challenged our government to tell us how much was in our coffers during GEJ's government.
These and many other questions must be asked before we begin to blame Buhari for our economic misfortunes.
Joseph was the governor general in Egypt in the bible and there was seven (7) years of surplus. 6 years in the case of Ebele Jonathan. While Joseph saved for the days of recession, Jonathan was busy sharing the lots and jeopardising the future of our unborn children! #dasukigate.
This is just my personal view!

I think the missing $20B is from the reserve.
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Hiploko(m): 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
If I tok nw, na to glorify mumu-ness... It ought to be on the decrease!!!
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by nobilis: 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2015
Thank you, OP
That's why I keep saying that had it been Jonathan won a second tenure, Nigeria would have been in a greater mess than it is now.

14 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by bigboss80s(m): 1:46pm On Dec 24, 2015
Very good question. Pls ask this to the blind supporters of our "Hero of Democracy."

6 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by tartar9(m): 2:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
Cc:lalasticlala
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by LoveMachine(m): 2:20pm On Dec 24, 2015
Who will be the first contestant to answer?
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Admiralomoniyi(m): 2:29pm On Dec 24, 2015
Imagine jonathan was re-elected,we would just wake up and see that Nigeria has been sold out to Garbon.....R.I.P wasteful past government

11 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by dammytosh: 2:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
Jokay07:

They know, they just need to confuse the ignorants among them.

Excess crude oil account was Obasanjo's solution meant for a period like this.

They closed it and spent all the money inside the account.

We have not started probe at all. Dansuki is just the money Abacha stole that we recovered.

When the real probe start, ...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by slimfit1(m): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
Thank God there is hope after all. I thought i was the only one trying to ask this question.
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Trut(m): 2:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
Typing...
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by sandraokosun1: 2:50pm On Dec 24, 2015
Mynd44,:lalasticlala,seun pls come here and move ths to fp. It is more reasonable than the toyin makinwa baby daddy talk and empress.
Pls we need equity and fairness here to appreciate were we are coming frm and forge ahead.
We need to take ths fp since tonye epistle too against the present govt can

7 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by horpe132(m): 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
If you ask me...............Na who I go ask
............................................................................................
# Your reserve was Shared by some of Ur Politicians @ the Federal and State Level.........................This issue of "Excess Crude Account" is Beyond Jonathan ordo he did more harm than good 2d Account.......................Let's be honest........
In fact I'm Confused Sef ...............................its soo hard to get information about the government,,,,,,,,,,,The Press is Quiet,,,,,The Citizens are Quiet,,,,,,,,its just annoying.........
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Princemilla: 2:57pm On Dec 24, 2015
Am waiting for answers too... Good questions @Op
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Kagame: 3:00pm On Dec 24, 2015
-Governors shared the money

Contrary to what they say,our governors shared the money.Amaechi,Oshiomole and some other vocal governors challenged the legality of the excess crude account.Oshiomole particularly complained that government should stop saving for the rainy day as it was already raining. Technically,the excess crude account is illegal as the constitution mandates that all revenues accruing to the govt should go to the Consolidated Revenue Account, with a provision that all monies accumulated in this account will be shared among the FG ,States and LGAs according to the sharing formula provided by RMAFC.Obasanjo stubbornly refused to share the money ,even though in contravention to the law. Jonathan legalised the excess crude savings by initiating the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) , but unfortunately could only save $1.5bn before the downturn in oil prices.

-It was used for subsidy

A greater amount of money that would have been saved was used to pay for fuel subsidies. Remember that a higher oil price attracts a bigger subsidy. However, Jonathan wanted to remove subsidy ,but we fought against it. We cannot eat our cake and have it.

-Corruption took the rest

Yes,corruption in government sapped the rest of the money.The Jonathan led FG did not do particularly well in stopping corruption.The FG condoned corrupt practices because of political exigencies ,the governors took a cue and stole mindlessly,except for a few of them that actually did some creditable work. Now,since they knew the FG did not have anti-corruption as a strong point ,the governors did not trust the same government not to pilfer the money in the excess crude account,hence their pressure on the GEJ led FG to share the money.

Lastly,everything falls on leadership . Jonathan and the governors should account for the money they received during the oil boom!

13 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Kyase(m): 3:11pm On Dec 24, 2015
olawalepopoola:

My brother that person is the most foolish person!
rather the most foolishest person grin
Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by gists: 3:17pm On Dec 24, 2015
OP don't mind the dullards jare. When the last administration was busy pooing everywhere they didn't realize it will smell when its time to clean. It is fo0lishness to expect a seed to germinate without decaying first. Where were these people when madam Ngozi slashed the budget of the ministry of works to 11% (from the N100b to N11b). Other ministries also suffered similar fate. They didn't know it wil have a snowball effect on the economy. Now they are blaming it on the new administration. Here are just a few reminders when madam NOI and her drunken master asked us to tighten our belt for the austerity measure they slammed on us.

Okonjo-Iweala’s austerity measures
http://thenationonlineng.net/okonjo-iwealas-austerity-measures/

With just N11 billion approved by Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Finance as the 2015 budget proposal the Federal Ministry of Works, Nigerians must not expect the Federal Government to embark on major infrastructures in the year 2015 if the budget is so passed.

The Ministry of Works had made a proposal of N100 billion as its budget for the year, but this was brought down to N11 billion or 19 percent by the Finance Ministry headed by Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the Coordinating Minister of the Economy.

With this, only 33 road projects have provisions in the proposal out of a total number of 210 ongoing road projects.
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/03/2015-budget-why-federal-ministry-of-works-will-perform-poorly/

FG Cuts 2015 Capital Budget By Half, Says DG Budget
http://economicconfidential.com/fg-cuts-2015-capital-budget-by-half-says-dg-budget/

Oil price fall: FG slashes 2015 budget by N581bn
http://www.mynewswatchtimesng.com/oil-price-fall-fg-slashes-2015-budget-n581bn/

EXCLUSIVE-Nigeria slashes 2015 budget as oil price slump bites
http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/02/04/nigeria-budget-idINL6N0VD4UB20150204

Budget: FG slashes projected oil revenue by N1tn
http://businessnews.com.ng/2014/12/25/budget-fg-slashes-projected-oil-revenue-n1tn/

The document, seen by Reuters, puts capital expenditure at N387 billion or 8.9 per cent of total spending of N4.357 trillion.
This is a significant drop from the 2014 spending plans, when capital expenditure (capex) accounted for 23.7 per cent of projected government outlays.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/again-fg-cuts-2015-capital-spending-as-oil-price-slump-bites/201045/

9 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by kayfra: 3:27pm On Dec 24, 2015
You can also add the $66 Billion OBJ left in our reserves that was depleted to $30 billion. What do we have to show for it?

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Sall(m): 3:32pm On Dec 24, 2015
My friends from the east will never reason in that direction because they are blinded by greed and hatred for other tribes order thanthan Igbo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by porka: 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
@Kagame

Plus, the increment in workers' salary from N5,500 minimum wage to N18,000 minimum was responsible for an increase in recurrent expenditure. ‎

Infrastructure spending - Railways, roads, power transmission lines, universities, AIRPORTS upgrade, etc.

@Op

This government and its supporters based their CHANGE on WRONG assumptions.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Gbawe: 3:35pm On Dec 24, 2015
God bless you OP and may he shower an abundance of blessing unto you and yours going into the new year and beyond. One has to praise the Nigerians, like you, with the clarity of vision to see what is actually going on while also understanding what must be done to rescue our nation from the 16 year 'black hole' the PDP has sunk her in. PDP has led since 1999 yet where are the 'rainy day' buffers , now that oil is selling for around $35.00 per barrel under Buhari, when oil sold for over $100.00 per barrel for most of the 5 years GEJ was President? Where is the diversified and robustly flexible economy the PDP had 16 years to deliver? What is the fate of the SME (small to medium enterprise) sector that is the lifeblood of the most developed economies in the world? In fact the SME completely disintegrated under the PDP !!! We must also ask why the PDP, over 16 long years , has failed to provide the constant power and robust infrastructure every adult worldwide understand is a critical requirement for the robust and sustainable socio-economic growth of Nigeria.

This is the hand Buhari and the APC have been dealt and anyone expecting a miracle in a few months is simply an unrealistic and highly simplistic individual who makes no allowance in their thinking for facts and the reality of what Nigeria is facing.

Like I tell my friends, Nigeria is facing worse than the credit crunch depression that crippled the economies of many western nations to the extent even leading and exemplary economies like the UK are only finding their feet today many years after the credit crunch and with economic stimulus measures such as keeping interest rates at an all time low of 0.5% for more than 6 years !!!!!!!

It would be better if some Nigerians take time educate themselves about the problems we face, courtesy of the mismanagement and corruption of the PDP, instead of constituting themselves into a menace and a headache for the Buhari government,. All. hands are needed on deck because this is what is required for the extent of the damage done by the PDP. The moment some Nigerians accept that we are in a serious economic downturn, albeit man-made, that is the moment they will understand they must be a part of the solution instead of making themselves a part of the problem with the ignorant and baseless demand for a miracle in a few months when the national income, diversified economy, strong SME contribution et al is simply not available to spur the sort of economic growth and well-being some want to see. When jobs were not created at a time we sold oil, which is responsible for 80% of our national income, at $110.00 per barrel is it now that oil is selling for $35.00 per barrel that employment will be booming? Nigerians need to think deeper, accept reality and make incrementally realistic demands.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by olabukola: 3:37pm On Dec 24, 2015
The FG and Governors shared it. We cannot blame the FG alone cus I could remember when Iwela was hinting about the way the govs are demanding for the sharing of the money. They even took FG to court at some point.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by gists: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2015
OP, just to address point 4 grin grin
GEJ met the naira at below N150/$ but left it over N200/$ despite having the privilege of highest proceeds from crude oil in the history of this country

5 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by porka: 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
Gbawe:
God bless you OP and may he shower an abundance of blessing unto you and yours going into the new year and beyond. One has to praise the Nigerians, like you, with the clarity of vision to see what is actually going on while also understanding what must be done to rescue our nation from the 16 year 'black hole' the PDP has sunk her in. PDP has led since 1999 yet where are the 'rainy day' buffers , now that oil is selling for around $35.00 per barrel under Buhari, when oil sold for over $100.00 per barrel for most of the 5 years GEJ was President? Where is the diversified and robustly flexible economy the PDP had 16 years to deliver? What is the fate of the SME (small to medium enterprise) sector that is the lifeblood of the most developed economies in the world? In fact the SME completely disintegrated under the PDP !!! We must also ask why the PDP, over 16 long years , has failed to provide the constant power and robust infrastructure every adult worldwide understand is a critical requirement for the robust and sustainable socio-economic growth of Nigeria.

This is the hand Buhari and the APC have been dealt and anyone expecting a miracle in a few months is simply an unrealistic and highly simplistic individual who has no space in their thinking for facts and the reality of what Nigeria is facing.

Like I tell my friends, Nigeria is facing worse than the credit crunch depression that crippled the economies of many western nations to the extent even leading and exemplary economies like the UK are only finding their feet today many years after the credit crunch and with economic stimulus measures such as keeping interest rates at an all time low of 0.5% for more than 6 years !!!!!!!

It would be better if some Nigerians take time educate themselves about the problems we face, courtesy of the mismanagement and corruption of the PDP, instead of constituting themselves into a menace and a headache for the Buhari government,. All. hands are needed on deck because this is what is required for the extent of the damage done by the PDP. The moment some Nigerians accept that we are in a serious economic downturn, albeit man-made, that is the moment they will understand they must be a part of the solution instead of making themselves a part of the problem with the ignorant and baseless demand for a miracle in a few months when the national income, diversified economy, strong SME contribution et al is simply not available to spur the sort of economic growth and well-being some want to see. When jobs were not created at a time we sold oil, which is responsible for 80% of our national income, at $110.00 per barrel is it now that oil is selling for $35.00 per barrel that employment will be booming? Nigerians need to think deeper, accept reality and make realistic demands.

Your submissions above have no basis in fact.

From every known record available, SMEs witnessed tremendous growth in the last 16 years than any time in the history of Nigeria.

Records also indicate that there was significant growth in middle class in Nigeria in the last 16 years.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by vincent10(m): 3:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
Gbawe:

This is the hand Buhari and the APC have been dealt and anyone expecting a miracle in a few months is simply an unrealistic and highly simplistic individual who has no space in their thinking for facts and the reality of what Nigeria is facing.

It would be better if some Nigerians take time educate themselves about the problems we face, courtesy of the mismanagement and corruption of the PDP, instead of constituting themselves into a menace and a headache for the Buhari government,. All. hands are needed on deck because this is what is required for the extent of the damage done by the PDP. The moment some Nigerians accept that we are in a serious economic downturn, albeit man-made, that is the moment they will understand they must be a part of the solution instead of making themselves a part of the problem with the ignorant and baseless demand for a miracle in a few months when the national income, diversified economy, strong SME contribution et al is simply not available to spur the sort of economic growth and well-being some want to see. When jobs were not created at a time we sold oil, which is responsible for 80% of our national income, at $110.00 per barrel is it now that oil is selling for $35.00 per barrel that employment will be booming? Nigerians need to think deeper, accept reality and make incrementally realistic demands.
when fash and amaechi were dragging and hurling insult at gej for saving for the raining days like this you were sleeping. always blaming your failures on gej.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by vicadex07(m): 3:50pm On Dec 24, 2015
The Money was shared to all PDP members through Dasuki under the guise of military hardware purchase. grin

No wonder the Boko haram menace kept on growing astronomically.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by Ijaya123: 3:50pm On Dec 24, 2015
Most of those in opposition now are approved dullard. It is official.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by olabukola: 3:51pm On Dec 24, 2015
Gbawe:

This is the hand Buhari and the APC have been dealt and anyone expecting a miracle in a few months is simply an unrealistic and highly simplistic individual who makes no allowance in their thinking for facts and the reality of what Nigeria is facing.

I have heard this line "PDP lead for 16 years" for a long time. Please who is this PDP? which state is PDP from? Is this PDP a man or a woman?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by porka: 3:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
vincent10:
when fash and amaechi were dragging and hurling insult at gej for saving for the raining days like this you were sleeping. always blaming your failures on gej.

Don't mind these people.

They are frantically looking everywhere for excuse to justify their bad choice.

When the Governors Forum was busy blackmailing the federal government with the support of some of their lawyers, they kept mute. Now that they have seen what their foolish actions have yielded they into they quickly turned to revisionist mode.

1 Like

Re: What Happened To Our Reserves When Oil Was $120 Per Barrel by vicadex07(m): 3:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
porka:

Your submissions above have no basis in fact.

From every known record available, SMEs witnessed tremendous growth in the last 16 years than any time in the history of Nigeria.

Records also indicate that there was significant growth in middle class in Nigeria in the last 16 years.

Which records

You mean Okonjo Iwealas Voodoo economic statistics where the economy keeps growing yet the standard of living of an average Nigerian keeps falling

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senseless Killings and Maimings- The Hypocrisy Of The South (Graphic Pics) / According To Nigerians, This Is Zenith Bank’s New Corporate Logo / Photo: When You Return To Nigeria Six Years After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.