Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,514 members, 7,816,250 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize (9953 Views)

Blind Woman Wins Nobel Prize Award In Sweden / Meridians Life Support Foundation Skill Acquisition Program / Nigeria Empowerment Foundation Contest Is Scam....run For Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Jamod2008: 12:40pm On Dec 24, 2015
L-R: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna and UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon

A Nigerian journalist, Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna has been awarded the United Nations Foundation Gold Prize for Development and humanitarian reporting.
Armstrong-Ogbonna, a freelance journalist with Radio Nigeria (Radio One) won the Gold medal for her reportage on neglected coastal communities along the Lagos coastline that are bearing the drastic impact of sea rise as well as threats of displacement.
She was awarded the United Nations Foundation Gold Prize for print (including online media) and broadcast media (TV & Radio), for Development and Humanitarian Reporting.
The award and gold medal was presented to her by the Secretary General of the United Nations; Mr Ban Ki-Moon on Monday in New York at the 20th United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA) Annual Awards for the best print, broadcast (TV & Radio) and online, web-based media coverage of the United Nations, U.N. agencies and field operations.
The prize was awarded for her report on how climate change and rapid urbanization is affecting coastal communities such as Okun Alfa, Otodo-gbame in Lagos with extinction and eviction respectively.
According to the UNCA; “Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna braves dangers to report on Nigeria’s coastal communities ravaged by conflict and degrading environment that affect development and human lives.”
With almost ten years of experience as a multimedia and Environmental Journalist, Tina has focused her reportage on neglected communities across Nigeria such as Okun Alfa and Otodo Gbame in Eti-Osa local government area, Sagbo Kodji Island and Makoko in Lagos state. Sagbo Kodji has never had power supply despite being located on an island that overlooks high rise of commercial Lagos Island as well as Apapa sea port.
The report was picked online by a renewable energy company owned by two young Nigerians, whose company approached the community and provided solar power panels and battery to some homes and ventures on the island, thereby lighting up the community for the first time in over a century of its existence.
Reacting to the prize, Tina said “I am completely humbled by this recognition from the United Nations. It is a major encouragement for me to persist with impacting journalism that affects the common man and development of the environment. I am must obliged for this.”
Until recently, Tina produced and presented a weekly environmental programme on community development called Community Diary on Radio One 103.5 FM in Lagos. She has also produced content for REUTERS, CNN, German Information Center GIC and EnviroNews Nigeria.
http://thenationonlineng.net/nigerian-journalist-wins-un-foundation-gold-prize/

6 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Iamvictor(m): 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
Their is no limit to what Nigerians can achieve......

FTC. I am using this medium to which you all a wonderful, peaceful, prosperous Christmas and new year...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Jamod2008: 12:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
Lalasticlala abeg show our own small love

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Young03(m): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
Igbo mma mma nuo oo

asim ee, ome ife ya biko jide ofo maka na oji ofo ga na
oga adiri unu na mma na mme mme ekeresimesi a...ndewo nu

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by fhelihx(m): 12:58pm On Dec 24, 2015
#thumbs up

2 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by osesology(m): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
Congrats to her. More international archievements by Nigerians loading...

1 Like

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by iykebest1(m): 2:32pm On Dec 24, 2015
*yawns*
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by stillondmatter: 2:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
Is she jaundiced? .....her sclera tho

2 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by iykebest1(m): 2:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
Igbo maakanu!

Maakanu!!!

Mazuenu nma oo!!!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Psalm18: 2:34pm On Dec 24, 2015
Good one.
Some Nigerians are making us proud with verifiable records.

If you put in the hard work, we will praise you but to hide under junk science like Abalaka, Oyibo and expect all of us to praise you just because we are all Nigerians. It won't work.

Im still asking whatever happened to Enoch Opeyemi solution to the Riemann hypothesis.
I know it takes two years to be awarded the prize but has any other authority or his fellow mathematicians worldwide been acclaiming his proof.
This must not die a natural death.
It it was proved he lied, he must be shamed we have had enough of Emeagwali, Abalaka etc who ride on sentiments to get recognized and then run off into the night when rigorous questions are asked while their e-supporters on nairaland abuse you if you call them out.
I'm keenly keeping an eye on Opeyemi Enoch and the Clay Institute.
Two years is not far enough from now.
God keep us Alive.

2 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by WIZGUY69(m): 2:41pm On Dec 24, 2015
Congratulation! wink
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by odinese(m): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
Ok
[size=50pt]up igbo[/size]

11 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by RedCapChief(m): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
[size=13pt] Congrats to Augustina Armstrong-[/size][size=13pt]Ogbonna[/size]
wink

2 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by tzoracle: 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
Che che che che

NDIGBO
Rie nu!
Nwuo nu!
Zuo nu!
Kacha nu!

3 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by haconjy(m): 2:44pm On Dec 24, 2015
hummm........
i love this

1 Like

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by lekkie073(m): 2:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
I like this lady......
she is a nigerian. ....
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by JOHNMASONY: 2:45pm On Dec 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by prosper6066: 2:46pm On Dec 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Ijaya123: 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2015
Now let the boasting and chest-beating begin...!!!!

1 Like

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by chrisdstar: 2:51pm On Dec 24, 2015
Is either an Igbo or a yoruba.our Hausa brothers e be like say na only for Naija politics we dey here una name?

8 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by dave2meek(m): 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
Name Checkers Association of Nairaland (NCAN)
Your attention is needed here...
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by kambili999(f): 2:54pm On Dec 24, 2015
this is indeed wonderful
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 2:59pm On Dec 24, 2015
We only hear up Igbo this and that,can't fools allow us here to celebrate Nigerians making US proud instead of Igbo kwenu and so, really our people need to change their tribal sentiment.
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by chesterlee(m): 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
Igbo Amaka!!!!

9 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by dust88: 3:02pm On Dec 24, 2015
We are Not havin à tribal clash here whn such achievement occurs (Igbo or yoruba) , we ré havin fun with d name and tribe. There is fun in this country . I celebrate oneness, i celebrate nigeria. Igbo amaka

5 Likes

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by lato2(m): 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
chrisdstar:
Is either an Igbo or a yoruba.our Hausa brothers e be like say na only for Naija politics we dey here una name?

And Jelani Aliyu is also Igbo right? Dnt ask me who he is, cos Google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by chrisdstar: 3:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
lato2:

And Jelani Aliyu is also Igbo right? Dnt ask me who he is, cos Google is your friend.
i'm glad you already know dat i was gon ask who he/she is.
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by GoldStandard: 3:07pm On Dec 24, 2015
Congrats lady
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by madenigga(m): 3:16pm On Dec 24, 2015
lato2:

only Jelani Aliyu is d name u hausa's shout all d time.
lol...apart from him lipsrsealed.
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by Nobody: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2015
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by uncjay(m): 3:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
congratulation to her........

Lemme just sit and watch as big heads ethnic jingoists throw stones at themselves over what is meant for celebration, well it proves who and what they represent.
Re: Augustina Armstrong-Ogbonna Wins UN Foundation Gold Prize by whatit: 3:53pm On Dec 24, 2015
Togolese can write about the usa

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Myth Behind ICT Career Skills In Nigeria – Jethro Theo Paul / Pursue A Career Or Focus More On My Skill? / Online Cisco Networking Professional Training (Skills-Train.co.uk) Possible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.