Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,774 members, 7,831,492 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment (1728 Views)

Lady Holds Baby Shower For Her Pregnant Dog In Abuja (Photos) / 5-Year-Old Girl Attacked By Landlord's Dog In Ikorodu, Lagos (Graphic Pics) / DOG Tips:how To Successfully Raise A Dog In A Rented Apartment With Many Tenants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 12:48pm On Dec 24, 2015
It my first time having a dog...I stay in a rented apartment in Lagos.I would like to know what and what to do not to annoy neighbours ...
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by younghartz(m): 1:57pm On Dec 24, 2015
mikaelson:
It my first time having a dog...I stay in a rented apartment in Lagos.I would like to know what and what to do not to annoy neighbours ...

https://www.nairaland.com/2621695/dog-tips-how-successfully-raise
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mitchyy(f): 2:42pm On Dec 24, 2015
- Train your dog not to litter the entire compound with poo
- Pack the poo immediately it drops
- Train your dog not to bark unnecessarily as it can be annoying to others
- Sometimes allow your neighbors to play with your dog but never give them room to feed your dog else they might give your dog rubbish someday
- Depending on the breed, keep your dog inside your house, as not every neighbor is dog-tolerant
- Out of courtesy, always keep your dog under leash when its outside the house, even though you know it might not attack your neighbors

I had my dog when i was staying in a self-contain and i did the above.
If its a large dog breed, then it's a different ball game and others might have better advice to give

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 4:48pm On Dec 24, 2015
Thanks bro
It a Gsd
I hope it learns how to bark when neccesary
And bro
What kind of cage do u advise
What kind of food
Etc.........
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 4:55pm On Dec 24, 2015
Thanks bro
I just hope d sog knows when to bark when necessary
I stay with few people ...keeping d dog inddors might be difficult
But still as yu v said.....I would do
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mitchyy(f): 7:15pm On Dec 24, 2015
mikaelson:
Thanks bro
It a Gsd
I hope it learns how to bark when neccesary
And bro
What kind of cage do u advise
What kind of food
Etc.........

If its a GSD, then you have a lot of work to do. GSDs are known for having so much energy.
Let the pros and other gsd owners help you out.... Knyte, prodeegee, blasiangurl, didilove1, tylerdan arcbay
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by Tylerdan(m): 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2015
wow this is not a straight ward answer cause if the dog can't stay indoors then you may need to talk to your neighbors at the very least to inform them. The dog may not necessary stay indoors all the time but you may consider that as a part time option.

GSDs are generally high energy dogs that require much mental and physical stimulation so spend quality time with the dog.
Get a vet and ensure you dogs vaccines are up to date
read up about whats best to feed your dog especially in Nigeria/and cheap options available.
CAGE - You didn't update us how old your dog is if (s)he is a pup then you may want to consider an indoor sleep basket before considering a big cage if or when you finally go for a cage get something with space for your dog to fill comfy in but not too big that s-he fills lonely if it outside ensure its has legs and a soft floor. Most carpenters have an idea or local iron smiths.

Please feel free to ask specific questions. This is my 2kobo.

You might find this worth reading its really insightful from Arcbay

https://www.nairaland.com/2621695/dog-tips-how-successfully-raise
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 9:33pm On Dec 24, 2015
Thanks bro
Wow yu really did well with your explanation
It a 3 month old pup
And yes I started informing d neighbours In d compound
It holidays
I would make sure I give it all attention it can get
So we can b pals as early as possible8)
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by redmitch: 10:03pm On Dec 24, 2015
mikaelson:

Found this for you.

http://trainadoggy.com/2015/12/24/living-with-your-dogs-and-co-tenant/

"You'd be lucky if the landlord is totally cool with a dog. It depends on what you want from the dog and the type of neighbours you have.

The 11 Play-Factors

1. Socialization: Do you want your dog to be social with everyone within the premises? It has its Pros & Cons.

2. Infants: Are there kids in the compound? More reason to socialize

3. Relationship: You also need to build good relationship with co-tenants to appreciable rate

4. Freedom...."

Visit the popular trainadoggy.com
For more tips, use link
http://trainadoggy.com/2015/12/24/living-with-your-dogs-and-co-tenant/
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by Prodeegee(m): 1:31pm On Dec 25, 2015
The truth is if you raise the dog indoors. I.e if its a flat. You wont have much to worry. If not...for a gsd. Noise is nearly inevitable.

1 Like

Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 2:07pm On Dec 27, 2015
It a flat.but still it a safe contain without balcony.
Re: Rearing Dog In A Rented Apartment by mikaelson: 2:09pm On Dec 27, 2015
It a flat.but still it a safe contain without balcony....so that means d cage would be outside

(1) (Reply)

Pet Sitters Needed. / Amazing Dog Pictures From Phronesis Dogs' Gallery / Cheap Boerboel Pups For Urgent Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.