Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Controversy Over German Shepherd - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Controversy Over German Shepherd (1776 Views)

Cute German Shepherd Pups Available For Immediate Pick Up....affordable! / 6 Months Old Female German Shepherd Puppy / Bull Mastiff And Boer Boel Controversy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 3:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
Sometimes people on Nairaland make us feel straight back GSDs are inferior to Slant back. According to Wikipedia;
The Kennel Club , in the United
Kingdom, is involved in a dispute
with German Shepherd breed clubs
about the issue of soundness in the
show-strain breed. [29][30] The
show-strains have been bred with an
extremely sloping topline (back) that
causes poor gait in the hind legs.
Working-pedigree lines, such as
those in common use as service
dogs, generally RETAIN THE TRADITIONAL
STRAIGHT BACK of the breed.
The debate was catalyzed when the
issue was raised in the BBC
documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed ,
which said that critics of the breed
describe it as "half dog, half frog". An
orthopedic vet remarked on footage
of dogs in a show ring that they were
"not normal".
The Kennel Club's position is that
"this issue of soundness is not a
simple difference of opinion, it is the
fundamental issue of the breed's
essential conformation and
movement." The Kennel Club has
decided to retrain judges to penalize
dogs suffering these problems.
It is also insisting on more testing for
hemophilia and hip dysplasia, other
common problems with the breed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd
Now it piqued my curiosity and I'll upload more links I can get from the controversy.....before then what's your take on it? Read the words in capital letters.......Merry Christmas to y'all btw
Seun, Knyte, kuzee, darmiloaded, prodeegee, booqee, sonofananimal1,
lahit14, vicdamm
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by uboma(m): 4:26pm On Dec 25, 2015
I'll always prefer the straight back to the slant back GSD.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by kolokolobi(m): 4:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
I do not condemn the slant backs but I won't get one. I'll only do the straightbacks. That's my personal opinion.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by lahit14(m): 5:50pm On Dec 25, 2015
barcaboi:
Sometimes people on Nairaland make us feel straight back GSDs are inferior to Slant back. According to Wikipedia;
The Kennel Club , in the United
Kingdom, is involved in a dispute
with German Shepherd breed clubs
about the issue of soundness in the
show-strain breed. [29][30] The
show-strains have been bred with an
extremely sloping topline (back) that
causes poor gait in the hind legs.
Working-pedigree lines, such as
those in common use as service
dogs, generally RETAIN THE TRADITIONAL
STRAIGHT BACK of the breed.
The debate was catalyzed when the
issue was raised in the BBC
documentary, Pedigree Dogs Exposed ,
which said that critics of the breed
describe it as "half dog, half frog". An
orthopedic vet remarked on footage
of dogs in a show ring that they were
"not normal".
The Kennel Club's position is that
"this issue of soundness is not a
simple difference of opinion, it is the
fundamental issue of the breed's
essential conformation and
movement." The Kennel Club has
decided to retrain judges to penalize
dogs suffering these problems.
It is also insisting on more testing for
hemophilia and hip dysplasia, other
common problems with the breed.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd
Now it piqued my curiosity and I'll upload more links I can get from the controversy.....before then what's your take on it? Read the words in capital letters.......Merry Christmas to y'all btw
Seun, Knyte, kuzee, darmiloaded, prodeegee, booqee, sonofananimal1,
lahit14, vicdamm

Yeah!! Hav done a few personal research on the surposed controversy and found the sloped backd to be more of the show line and the stright backd more of the working line. I still wonder why most peopl here see the slant backd as the true pure breeds. Whn originally its some kind of mutation, lol!! The actual pure breeds should be the strightbackd. Well it might be becos the sloped or stant backd appear more beautiful and a littl longer whc again goes to show that they are mostly show dogs. Dats my take. Merry christmas man!!

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by RICADE(m): 6:48pm On Dec 25, 2015
The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure.
lahit14:

Yeah!! Hav done a few personal research on the surposed controversy and found the sloped backd to be more of the show line and the stright backd more of the working line. I still wonder why most peopl here see the slant backd as the true pure breeds. Whn originally its some kind of mutation, lol!! The actual pure breeds should be the strightbackd. Well it might be becos the sloped or stant backd appear more beautiful and a littl longer whc again goes to show that they are mostly show dogs. Dats my take. Merry christmas man!!
The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure.

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 6:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
kolokolobi:
I do not condemn the slant backs but I won't get one. I'll only do the straightbacks. That's my personal opinion.
explain more why?....I have a straight back tho her pops was slant
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 6:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
lahit14:

I read 1 comment abt this some while back and interesting to know u were right!!!.....Slant - show line, Straight back - workline directly from d standard.....yet slant dey cost more
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 6:58pm On Dec 25, 2015
RICADE:
The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure. The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure.
u have a point but still pple need to know the difference
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by Prodeegee(m): 7:02pm On Dec 25, 2015
Personally ill never buy a slant back gsd. I dnt even like them. Straight back all the way.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by RICADE(m): 7:07pm On Dec 25, 2015
I love both, slants are cute av u ever u seen aw they look when u are walking them?i love the straight back, when u are exercising them it makes me happy but aw many owners or breeder are interested in doing this.how many people out there are interested in exercising dogs when they can import a cute looking dog.Even though straight back are the best most people love to av cute dogs.

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by kolokolobi(m): 7:36pm On Dec 25, 2015
barcaboi:
barcaboi:
Just a personal preference. Don't like the crouch gait the hind legs gives.

2 Likes

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 7:58pm On Dec 25, 2015
RICADE:
I love both, slants are cute av u ever u seen aw they look when u are walking them?i love the straight back, when u are exercising them it makes me happy but aw many owners or breeder are interested in doing this.how many people out there are interested in exercising dogs when they can import a cute looking dog.Even though straight back are the best most people love to av cute dogs.
wish you cld see the speed my gsd uses when exercising. ...and when she jumps. ..oh boi....na 2 carry eyes o......
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by lahit14(m): 9:24pm On Dec 25, 2015
RICADE:
The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure. The main reason people believe slant are more pure than straight backs in nigeria is because of that fact that slant aren't that mixed straight backs av been mixed in nigeria over the years because some owner do not the name of the breed they have so they breed anyhow just to av puppies and also because most slant are imported to the country.your straight back GSD is it imported?the parent and grandparent are they imported?most nigerians belive imported dogs are pure,most straight backs in nigeria are not imported,Perhap their oldest 'ancestors' were. Most slant in nigeria av atleast their fifth lineage imported.this is the reason why they are mostly thought to pure.

Yeah, I believe this to be the ansa. Ur right. Tnx

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by bayulala94(m): 8:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
Well to me those that says slant back are the only pure breeds are still beta off than those that argue that gsd and alsatian are different breeds, nothing you can say to them to change their orientation

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by arcbay(m): 8:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
This particular topic has been deliberated upon countless times on NL in the past.

Personal preference, I'll choose slants times and times over.

Reason: most of us in Nigeria say they prefer the working line straightbacks, yet I don't see any work they put their dogs thru, other than lock them up in cages for the better part of the day.

So I'll always settle for the slants, they're good to the eye...and they meet my specifications too...

And again, it is easier for a roadside breeder to basterdize the straightbacks, but no one will allow a 350k worth of slantback mate just anyhow dog...

Like I said earlier, personal preference, no imposing facts

1 Like

Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 5:24am On Dec 27, 2015
bayulala94:
Well to me those that says slant back are the only pure breeds are still beta off than those that argue that gsd and alsatian are different breeds, nothing you can say to them to change their orientation
lol...na true. I keep correcting them but always futile
Re: Controversy Over German Shepherd by barcaboi(m): 5:27am On Dec 27, 2015
arcbay:
This particular topic has been deliberated upon countless times on NL in the past.

Personal preference, I'll choose slants times and times over.

Reason: most of us in Nigeria say they prefer the working line straightbacks, yet I don't see any work they put their dogs thru, other than lock them up in cages for the better part of the day.

So I'll always settle for the slants, they're good to the eye...and they meet my specifications too...

And again, it is easier for a roadside breeder to basterdize the straightbacks, but no one will allow a 350k worth of slantback mate just anyhow dog...

Like I said earlier, personal preference, no imposing facts
u have a point. ...but fact remains fact....just 4 pple 2 know the difference

(1) (Reply)

Imported Green Wing Macaw Available For Sale!!! / Purely Bred Male And Female Chowchow Puppies Available At An Affordable Price / Caucasian GSD Puppies have all sold! Thank you very much!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.