Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? (1169 Views)

Why Generational Curses Still Affect Many Christians / Why Many Christians May Burn In Hell / Five Sins That Will Take Many Christians To Hell Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? by ozoro: 10:13am On Dec 26, 2015
I find that many (usually pentecostal) christians don't go to church on Christmas night or day, but can never start the new year without midnight vigil.

I believe they have to forgotten the main message of Jesus, but instead concentrate on selected Bible passages that confirm worldly riches and solution to worldly problems are the main reason for Christian worship.

This is why they do not pay importance to the memory of Jesus life on earth, even the fact Jesus was crucified and died for us is hardly recognised BUT they will never miss night vigil that will bring ' abundant blessings;. They rather travel to Lagos and spend 3 days sleeping rough to attend the Biggest Rivival....

perhaps somebody can educate me.
Re: Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
ozoro:
I find that many (usually pentecostal) christians don't go to church on Christmas night or day, but can never start the new year without midnight vigil.

I believe they have to forgotten the main message of Jesus, but instead concentrate on selected Bible passages that confirm worldly riches and solution to worldly problems are the main reason for Christian worship.

This is why they do not pay importance to the memory of Jesus life on earth, even the fact Jesus was crucified and died for us is hardly recognised BUT they will never miss night vigil that will bring ' abundant blessings;. They rather travel to Lagos and spend 3 days sleeping rough to attend the Biggest Rivival....

perhaps somebody can educate me.
That is what I call hypocrite. They don't know that the so called new year celebration has a pagan origin but they are quick to condemn those celebrating christmas. It's a shame that up till now those against christmas which I agree with haven't provide a good biblical backing why they celebrate new year since it also has pagan origin. The same sect still observe Sundays as days of worship were it was practically stated that it is Satursday. They keep on blaming Catholic for this and that but the questions is why haven't they change their service day to Saturday like Seven Days Adventist observe it? Why should they continue with Sundays?. The best solution to such scenario is that the Christian body should concentrate more on winning souls instead of wasting their energy on who should or shouldn't celebrate christmas as God wouldn't ask you which church did you attend or which celebration you did observe or not instead how did you live your life. Did you live a holy life? You may not observe such feast yet end in the lake of fire while your friend that observed such feast ends in heaven. Up till today, those christians haven't given any biblical backing to why they conduct white wedding. Instead of thinking of the speck in their eyes, they are busy taking speck from other people's eyes. During such festivity, it is an opportunity to reach out to prisoners, patients in the hospitals, orphans e.t.c because such opportunity might not come.
The bottom line is that all these sects of christians practice some doctrines that are not biblical yet they wail
Re: Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? by ozoro: 7:44pm On Dec 26, 2015
asuustrike2009:

That is what I call hypocrite. They don't know that the so called new year celebration has a pagan origin but they are quick to condemn those celebrating christmas. It's a shame that up till now those against christmas which I agree with haven't provide a good biblical backing why they celebrate new year since it also has pagan origin. The same sect still observe Sundays as days of worship were it was practically stated that it is Satursday. They keep on blaming Catholic for this and that but the questions is why haven't they change their service day to Saturday like Seven Days Adventist observe it? Why should they continue with Sundays?. The best solution to such scenario is that the Christian body should concentrate more on winning souls instead of wasting their energy on who should or shouldn't celebrate christmas as God wouldn't ask you which church did you attend or which celebration you did observe or not instead how did you live your life. Did you live a holy life? You may not observe such feast yet end in the lake of fire while your friend that observed such feast ends in heaven. [b]Up till today, those christians haven't given any biblical backing to why they conduct white wedding.[/bHistorically Instead of thinking of the speck in their eyes, they are busy taking speck from other people's eyes. During such festivity, it is an opportunity to reach out to prisoners, patients in the hospitals, orphans e.t.c because such opportunity might not come.
The bottom line is that all these sects of christians practice some doctrines that are not biblical yet they wail

Historically marriage was secular ceremony, if at all there was even ceremony. The early church (Catholic) being really the only christian denomiration, took over marriage ceremonies and even made marriage a holy scrament!!!

other denominations have followed suite.

Another example how religion has impacted on life.

But back to matter of Christmas, New Year is not a religious ceremony BUT a man made marker of time, which many Nigerians choose to use to measure how sucessful their life has been. Hence the to celebrate in church to seek God's favour
Re: Why Do Many Christians Celebrate New Year And NOT Christmas? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
ozoro:

Historically marriage was secular ceremony, if at all there was even ceremony. The early church (Catholic) being really the only christian denomiration, took over marriage ceremonies and even made marriage a holy scrament!!!

other denominations have followed suite.

Another example how religion has impacted on life.

But back to matter of Christmas, New Year is not a religious ceremony BUT a man made marker of time, which many Nigerians choose to use to measure how sucessful their life has been. Hence the to celebrate in church to seek God's favour

Am not against any celebration but am against those opposing it

(1) (Reply)

Penastory: Why I Think Jesus Should Be The Sole Author Of The Bible / Photo: Caption This Picture Of The Alabaster Bishop / The Incredible Verified Truth About Prophet Tb Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.