Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,669 members, 7,827,458 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. (34919 Views)

Members Of Robbery Gang From Onitsha Shot Dead In Ogun / Ogun Bricklayer Accused Of Robbery, Tortured To Death (photo) / BEWARE: New Trend Used By Ritualists To Deceive People For Rituals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by AK481(m): 9:12am On Dec 28, 2015
Cadamlk:
They will soon be caught.Cos it is easier to trace them

Yea,they won't last in this game.the victim reports to the bank,the bank trace the account holder of the receipient and thru bvn his identity is revealed.all his account linked to the bvn is reviewed and revealed.wirh this a proper investigation will comemced.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by EstarKeys(f): 9:14am On Dec 28, 2015
They will be caught! because by d tym de get to d oda flat,the odas wuld have calld d police
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Psylas(m): 9:17am On Dec 28, 2015
Petroking:

You are right. God is our security... Something led to me not making use of an ATM card..
God does not secure anyone
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by buyAride: 9:19am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:
I was discussing with a friend yesterday and we were going on about the spate of crime in Lagos, lamenting that things are taking a turn for the worse.
Then he began to tell me his experience with robbers who paid a visit to his compound at Ikeja last week. According to him, they seem to get smarter and smarter. They visited them with POS machines and moved from flat to flat, demanding you make transactions into their account at gunpoint. Once the transaction pulls through, they take your cards, record your pin and they are off to the next flat.

In this way, they drained virtually all the cash in his 3 accounts over the weekend.
Have you been a victim of this mode of crime, come in and share your experience.

Any Robber that tries this type of "NollyWood" robbery will be in jail faster than they can withdraw the stolen money.

So, if they forcefully make me transfer the money to their account..... does that account not have records or does my own banking details not show where the money went to?

I think the Poster is just trying to "figure out" if he can successfully rob people, using this method.

My advice: please try it, omo'ole!

2 Likes

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by mossadu(m): 9:24am On Dec 28, 2015
We dey for naija ooo
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by MRBrownJ: 9:25am On Dec 28, 2015
very possible, since identity fraud is rampant. here is how it would work:
person opens a business account with POS in Nigeria with a stolen ID and fraudulent infos (or simply pay someone for such service), then they get the money into the account and immediately transfer the money into another account across the world, then to another and another, and finally after a few transactions, into some equally fake account in China or Iran (or some anonymous account in the Cayman Island). the thief will have plenty of time to withdraw ALL the cash, before the money could be traced back anywhere.

as for guns, i think that this is what Nigeria needs. people having the means to defend themselves, their families and their homes.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:

we'll have to weigh the benefits of your action against the risks. Having cards makes financial transactions alot easier. It would also be a hard and almost impossible sell to tell robbers that you've got no card. We only can imagine their reaction on your body as they would take out the beauty from your face.
I think I would have to move most of my serious cash to a specific account and do away with the ATM card while I maintain the other account with some cash, keeping the ATM. May God not allow us experience evil.

That's why I always go out with the ATM card that have little money in it then keep my main card at home...
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by khattab02: 9:26am On Dec 28, 2015
hmmm.... Na wa oooo... They always want to be 2 steps ahead.

Some of us na only minimum balance dey dey our account. But we no pray for such incidence.

Why are many people finding it hard to believe the story?? Is it not possible??

#theives/robbers always come with new ideas and new ways of doing their stuff.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by 9jatatafo(m): 9:26am On Dec 28, 2015
This is na wash! Robbers came with a gun and POS and not asking for cash.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by tunergy(m): 9:29am On Dec 28, 2015
Considering the requirements to own a POS machine, i doubt if anyone will be DUMB enough to go and rob with such. This is absolutely INCREDULOUS.

1 Like

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by musicwriter(m): 9:32am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:
I was discussing with a friend yesterday and we were going on about the spate of crime in Lagos, lamenting that things are taking a turn for the worse.
Then he began to tell me his experience with robbers who paid a visit to his compound at Ikeja last week. According to him, they seem to get smarter and smarter. They visited them with POS machines and moved from flat to flat, demanding you make transactions into their account at gunpoint. Once the transaction pulls through, they take your cards, record your pin and they are off to the next flat.

In this way, they drained virtually all the cash in his 3 accounts over the weekend.
Have you been a victim of this mode of crime, come in and share your experience.

If this story is true, the thieves should be in jail already. The machine have a record of their bank and account numbers and company name. BVN should trace all their bank accounts in Nigeria. Unless, the POSs are processing through a foreign merchant. Intuit any one?.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Etizz: 9:36am On Dec 28, 2015
It's possible for armed rubbers in naija to do it..... But it's also easy to locate dem.....

Transaction in such manner can easily be trace......
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by josescotch(m): 9:39am On Dec 28, 2015
If this is really true then they will b traced, as that was d reason for d bvn afteralk.
sapiosexual1:

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by missKiffy(f): 9:44am On Dec 28, 2015
Atmmachine:
Legalize guns in Nigeria.
Problem solved.
I agree, bt u knw Nigerians like to abuse opportunities, they would abuse the use of guns
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by LydayBobo(m): 9:45am On Dec 28, 2015
Petroking:

You are right. God is our security... Something led to me not making use of an ATM card..
Guys this is 2015, let move forward. If you have two accounts, at least one is linked to your with a transaction limits cool
Petroking:

Guys this is 2015, let move forward. If you have two accounts, at least one is linked to your ATM card with a transaction limits. Speaking to this issue of POS robbers; some instances POS transactions takes EOD so you have some free time on your hand to stop it. Memories your bank customer care number some work 24hrs now. EOD means end of day at least 24hrs. BVN-Biometric Verification Number is another sure way to catch them. ATM card has tremendous benefit ranging from cash withdrawal, bills payment, airtime topup. We should not allow some stupid ragtag to stop us from moving forward...just my thoughts

2 Likes

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 28, 2015
Rexphobia:
Hope they also asked if it was savings or current account?

I find this hard to believe though. Robbers like physical cash as much as possible.

So imagine they wipe all our accounts over the weekend;

1. How will they withdraw all the fund over the weekend, since there is a limit to how much you can collect via the ATM, even if they transfer to another account or bank

2. So your friend could not contact his bank to have his card blocked and account frozen immediately the robbers left?

exactly. story makes no sense.

most especially as bank transfers leave a clear paper trail
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by taosola(m): 9:51am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:

My brother it's indeed hard to believe but it's for real

Then the robbers must be very stupid and senseless. They will be caught as early as possible.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by confun: 9:53am On Dec 28, 2015
Really wondering y its hard for pp to believe the op, this thing happened to a relative of mine few months ago, so it's not new at all.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by taosola(m): 9:59am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:

My brother it's indeed hard to believe but it's for real
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by sunsewa: 10:12am On Dec 28, 2015
that mode is dead on arrival, because Gej has wipe out era of incompetency in the banking sector.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Akochi86: 10:15am On Dec 28, 2015
AND SO IT CAME TO PASS[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 28, 2015
taosola:

Then the robbers must be very stupid and senseless. They will be caught as early as possible.
You guys don't seem to believe, indeed I also didn't believe ab-initio. This robbery took place during this festive holidays. We believe when the banks reopen, there would be a clearer lead to this incident. Whatever the development is, I would keep this community informed. Thanks all, just be careful.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 28, 2015
confun:
Really wondering y its hard for pp to believe the op, this thing happened to a relative of mine few months ago, so it's not new at all.
Thanks for corroborating.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 28, 2015
oyb:

exactly. story makes no sense.

most especially as bank transfers leave a clear paper trail
You wonder how folks wire cash from people's accounts without leaving a trace? Or you really think robbers who engage in such crimes as this wouldn't have a computer/IT guru in their team? I really want us to be balanced in our submissions.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by ProGSM(m): 10:23am On Dec 28, 2015
I don't believe this story too. This nothing to believe.

1 Like

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by Kegmandonsleek: 10:44am On Dec 28, 2015
Dis I call bullshit, and to be precise, get ur facts ryt before u press for front page headlines, criminals don't easily engage in traceable acts, they compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages before proceeding to play out d act. Ur story na fabu, d lous no join.

1 Like

Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by PrinceEvolution(m): 10:44am On Dec 28, 2015
mployer:

I don't believe this story though.
me too.,,but everything is possible in nja except snow..lol...dey can av insiders in d bank ,flasified Infos for opening d acc.etc..I knw nja too well...dat if u leave d reality of nja hustlenomics for one hour it sets u back for a year..dat country is an embodiment of highly skilled people wether educated or otherwise a Nigerian by blood not by birth is a force to reckon with..meanwhile we are also pollutants ,if u associate with us too long..we can influence u to wateva direction u so desire...
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by PrinceEvolution(m): 10:47am On Dec 28, 2015
Kegmandonsleek:
Dis I call bullshit, and to be precise, get ur facts ryt before u press for front page headlines, criminals don't easily engage in traceable acts, they compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages before proceeding to play out d act. Ur story na fabu, d lous no join.
heavy fabu...na story e dey find..or him and him cohorts dey reason am after dem smoke and shekpe..come think say dem don wise pass us ..wan get knowledge here to perfect am..foolish but wise..cuz from here now dem go Sabi say no hope ..we like shopping but we ain't buying this bullshit..
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by PrinceEvolution(m): 10:50am On Dec 28, 2015
Guyoo:
Guys the best way to reduce risk associated with having ATM Cards is to limit the amount of funds in them. Maintain two or more account and only keep money you need for immediate use on the account tied to the ATM. With online banking , quickteller , mobile money etc you can easily move funds to the account with ATM. #Crimealert
may u flourish in wisdom..scream amen!
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by PrinceEvolution(m): 10:55am On Dec 28, 2015
buyAride:

Any Robber that tries this type of "NollyWood" robbery will be in jail faster than they can withdraw the stolen money.

So, if they forcefully make me transfer the money to their account..... does that account not have records or does my own banking details not show where the money went to?

I think the Poster is just trying to "figure out" if he can successfully rob people, using this method.

My advice: please try it, omo'ole!
ahhaahsh u read and spoke my mind I already commented abt dis prior to reading urs..samething came to my mind.,I think they were high and was planning dis poo..lol.
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by ladej(m): 11:00am On Dec 28, 2015
Rexphobia:
Hope they also asked if it was savings or current account?

I find this hard to believe though. Robbers like physical cash as much as possible.

So imagine they wipe all our accounts over the weekend;

1. How will they withdraw all the fund over the weekend, since there is a limit to how much you can collect via the ATM, even if they transfer to another account or bank

2. So your friend could not contact his bank to have his card blocked and account frozen immediately the robbers left?

at 2 am. what is this one saying? have you been faced with a gun before?
Re: Beware! New Mode Of Robbery In Lagos. by toprealman: 11:02am On Dec 28, 2015
OP I think you are sampling opinion with this your 'revolutionary' operational method. You have just acquired or thinking of getting a POS for your clients and hoping to rob them. Hunter go soon turn bushmeat. No worry!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrested Yahoo Boys By EFCC: What Happens Afterwards? / Bayelsa Man Sexually Abused His 12-Year-Old Daughter For 4 Years / Desire Kpagane Suicide Note: Paul Nadure Implicated By RSUST Final Year Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.