Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,394 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Mr Kasali & Ngozi - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mr Kasali & Ngozi (904 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Dazzles In New Photos / "Janelle Asked To The Bedroom" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie At Paris Fashion Week (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mr Kasali & Ngozi by Adeayo7(m): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2015
Mr Kasali is our new fine arts teacher. No one knew exactly when he became a teacher in our school. Some say he is as old as the school, while others think he is probably one of those teachers who is as impersonal and as invincible as the air. They say he doesn't talk much!

Mr Kasali is short, round, and chubby. His ball like head rests on his flabby neck like a bird perching on a leaf. He is completely hairless. His head is as bare and as smooth as the back of my hand. His short but firm legs had the will and purpose of a soldier ready for battle. His bulging stomach is shaped like an egg, and his hands somehow appeared to be longer than his legs! His well manicured fingers were always on the prowl; they are utterly restless!! I noticed and absorbed each detail in a matter of seconds the first time he came to our class. I was staring at him like a zombie! I'm not sure if it was because I had heard so much about him, but had never seen him or because of the way he was dressed.

He was wearing a blue suit on a red trouser! His purple sleeve were in sharp contrast to his pink tie and brown shoes. His white belt reminded me of the snake that was killed at the school entrance yesterday. He walked into our class like a king. Maybe it was because of the yellow cap he had on! What a picture! A fine arts teacher indeed!!

"Good Morning Class.." he said. "Good Morning Sir!!" we blurted out. I liked the sound of his voice; young, rich, and effeminate. "I am your new fine arts teacher. Mrs Ajanlekoko just put to bed. She will be away for some time." All the time he was speaking, he smiled. It was as if he had a fixed smile on his face. After some time, I noticed he had been staring at a particular direction. I followed the direction of his eyes, and...oh my! Someone was sleeping!! I didn't need a second look to know it was Ngozi! It had to be!

Ngozi, aka "sleeping beauty" was always sleeping in class. Her mother, "Mama Ngozi" who sells guguru and groundnut at the school entrance has been to our class more times than any other parent. "Madam your daughter is always sleeping in class. I'm getting tired of her. What is the problem? Please you need
to do something!!" Our class teacher, Mrs Owolabi once said. "Madam, I no know oo..God knows I am trying my best." whispered the helpless woman. Poor Ngozi just stood there staring at them with sleepy eyes.

"Wake that girl. Now!!" shouted Mr Kasali. Isioma, Ngozi's best friend quickly woke her. "Open your eyes! Mr Kasali is here!" .."Mr who??" replied Ngozi, in a tone that sounded like she didn't believe anyone by that name existed. Mr Kasali turned a deep shade of purple. His breath came out of his nostrils unevenly. His small menacing eyes searched the class as though he was looking for something. You could see he felt offended by
Ngozi's mocking tone. "Hahahaha..you will know me today. Stupid girl! Come here!!" That short laugh sent shivers down my spine. The hard barking sound of his laugh sounded like that of an hyena. There was nothing effeminate about it. Mr Kasali looked different. His eyes blazed, and the muscles under his eyes twitched. His hands were restless. He was angry!

Ngozi walked to the front of the class with calculated steps. Her vision was still bleary. She stood in front of Mr Kasali like a statue. "You must be stupid! How dare you sleep in my class!! Ehn!.." Mr kasali barked. "I'm sorry Sir. I'm tired. I didn't get much sleep last night. I was frying groundnut." The whole class laughed. "You were doing what?" Mr kasali asked, bewildered . "I was frying groundnut Sir." she replied. Just then, our class teacher Mrs Owolabi walked in. "Ah..Mr Kasali. Good Morning Sir. Is there a problem?" She asked, her eyes moving from him
to our sleeping beauty. "I came in and found this girl sleeping. Imagine! It's just 8:30am." Mr Kasali bellowed "You this girl again! Shey you want to be breastfed? Abi you want guguru?" Mrs Owolabi asked sarcastically. The whole class enjoyed a moment of laughter once again.

"Silence!!" shouted Mr Kasali at the rest of us. "She said she was frying groundnut last night." He said, turning to Mrs Owolabi "Don't mind this girl o! Just because her mother sells guguru and epa, she wants to lie on the poor woman" replied Mrs Owolabi.

"It is true ma!! Everyday groundnut! Groundnut!! My mama no dey let me sleep for house. Na me dey always fry the groundnut!!" Ngozi exclaimed. "Speak proper English!!" Mr Kasali barked for the hundredth time. "I'm sorry Sir. But I hardly get any sleep at home. I'm either frying groundnut or guguru. My mother is always on my neck!" She cried out. "Why didn't you tell me?!" Mrs Owolabi asked. "You never asked me a thing ma." replied Ngozi. Her watery eyes held everyone.

The whole class went mute. Even Mr Kasali's hands were enjoying a moment of peace; they were not moving. "I'm sorry. I would never have imagined. Your mother is such a nice woman." Mrs Owolabi said, moving towards her. She wrapped Ngozi in her arms and wiped her tears. Mr Kasali paid them no attention. Instead he looked at the rest of us and asked "Now, who can tell me what fine arts is all about?" We all looked at him in disbelief. Even Mrs Owolabi stared at him in stupefied
silence. Not an ounce of pity for our sleeping beauty. We all glared at him. Wicked man. Then from the back came the most familiar voice in class. "Fine arts is a......"

Omoye!! She always had an answer to every question, no matter how difficult. She spent the next two minutes defining fine arts. Everyone glared at her! No one has spoken to her since that day.

That day Mama Ngozi was warned by our principal and she promised never to ask Ngozi to fry groundnut again. Same day, no one from our class bought guguru and epa from Mama Ngozi after school hours. We chose to stand behind Ngozi. Like they say "United we stand, divided we fall." Poor Ngozi. Our sleeping beauty.
Re: Mr Kasali & Ngozi by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
Bravo nice short story

(1) (Reply)

Musings Of An Introvert: The First Time / Dance In The Graveyard (COMPLETE STORY) / NOVEL: CAMELS, A Story Of Love And Pain. By blacpen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.