Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,320 members, 7,957,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 10:16 PM

Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. (13310 Views)

Food Stuffs Business / A Graduate Want To Start Food Stuff Business / How to start food processing business in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 12:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
Hello Fellow Nairaland Members. I really want to venture into food stuffs business come January 2016. I want to start on a small scale due to capital.

Where can I get bags of rice, beans, garri e.t.c at cheaper rates

Your advice and suggestions are highly welcome.

NOTE: my start up capital is 100k.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 1:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
Your location?
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 1:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
Dotmax53:
Your location?
Lagos. Ikorodu Precisely.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 1:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
Dotmax53:
Your location?
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
shorxynla:

You can get rice,beans,corn in cheaper rate at Alaba rago market,Ojo,Lagos
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 1:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
Dotmax53:

You can get rice,beans,corn in cheaper rate at Alaba rago market,Ojo,Lagos
Thanks. I appreciate.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by aloeman15(m): 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
is alaba now cheaper than mile 12? Especially with travel expenses?
Just asking...
To op- have u researched all the start up and running costs to know if it's feasible in ur area? Is it in a shop or from home? To be run by u or paid staf? Likely conservative daily and monthly turnover in ur 1st 3 months? Projected profit margin per item? Just foodstuff or other items?
Etc,etc

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
In addition to what the poster above said, are you ready to sell in credit to customers? Do you have planned marketing strategies already? What about distributions? These are the basic things you need to consider before venturing into any business...

3 Likes

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
aloeman15:
is alaba now cheaper than mile 12? Especially with travel expenses?
Just asking...
To op- have u researched all the start up and running costs to know if it's feasible in ur area? Is it in a shop or from home? To be run by u or paid staf? Likely conservative daily and monthly turnover in ur 1st 3 months? Projected profit margin per item? Just foodstuff or other items?
Etc,etc

Thanks Aloeman15. It will actually be running from a shop and by a paid staff because I have a job presently.
And with the travel Expenses, Mile 12 will be better for me. As for the projected profit margin per item, am working on that presently. To your last question, I want to start with foodstuffs alone first.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 4:58pm On Dec 28, 2015
MissMalia:
In addition to what the poster above said, are you ready to sell in credit to customers? Do you have planned marketing strategies already? What about distributions? These are the basic things you need to consider before venturing into any business...
Thanks MissMalia, to be honest I don't have the plan to be selling on credit to customers except it comes in a big way. As per the distribution. I actually planned to employ 2 staffs, one to distribute and the other to run the shop.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
shorxynla:

Thanks MissMalia, to be honest I don't have the plan to be selling on credit to customers except it comes in a big way. As per the distribution. I actually planned to employ 2 staffs, one to distribute and the other to run the shop.
Pls shed more light on what you mean by ur staff distributing rice to ur customers ?..how lucrative is the business in a busy Environment, (GainWise)..??

MY ADVICE: You need to be extra careful before employing ur staffs,due to ur less supervision...You cant take stock of foodstuffs expectially when its sold in bit..Make sure your employee is a minor below 18years,because they can easily be controlled to your policy.....

1 Like

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 5:22pm On Dec 28, 2015
Dotmax53:

MY ADVICE: You need to be extra careful before employing ur staffs,due to ur less supervision...You cant take stock of foodstuffs expectially when its sold in bit..Make sure your employee is a minor below 18years,because they can easily be controlled to your policy.....
Dotmax53 you really relieved me of a burden here, because one of the major issues in my heart is how to take stock and control my employee due to less supervision. But your suggestion of employing a minor below 18 years is a good idea! Weldone
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by aloeman15(m): 5:29pm On Dec 28, 2015
Employing the underaged is illegal and actually criminal. Avoid trouble.
Leave out distribution unless you're there. But your absence will still affect ur shop sales. How do you start running a business which you don't know of, in absentia?! So make sure you start in the hols season or your leave, when you'll have time to know how it operates.
A unique way to keep track and build customer trust may be with the use of weight measurements (1l of water=1kg). This also helps you know what your bulk item will fetch per unit kg or litre.

Dotmax53:

Pls shed more light on what you mean by ur staff distributing rice to ur customers ?..how lucrative is the business in a busy Environment, (GainWise)..??

MY ADVISE: You need to be extra careful before employing ur staffs,due to ur less supervision...You cant take stock of foodstuffs expectially when its sold in bit..Make sure your employee is a minor below 18years,because they can easily be controlled to your policy.....
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 6:58pm On Dec 28, 2015
aloeman15:
Employing the underaged is illegal and actually criminal. Avoid trouble.
Leave out distribution unless you're there. But your absence will still affect ur shop sales. How do you start running a business which you don't know of, in absentia?! So make sure you start in the hols season or your leave, when you'll have time to know how it operates.
A unique way to keep track and build customer trust may be with the use of weight measurements (1l of water=1kg). This also helps you know what your bulk item will fetch per unit kg or litre.

Thank you Aloeman15, am definitely leaving out distribution for now. Just the shop running alone.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 8:22am On Dec 29, 2015
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 8:36am On Dec 29, 2015
shorxynla:

Tell us what got you interested in this business out of all other business?
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 9:15am On Dec 29, 2015
Dotmax53:

Tell us what got you interested in this business out of all other business?

Have been trying to come up with a business I can start with 100k but nothing is coming up. It was a friend of mine that gave me the advice of going into food stuff Business.
And I think there's no way people will not eat in a day.
If there's any other good business you think I can do with that start up capital please let me know.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 10:59am On Dec 29, 2015
shorxynla:

Have been trying to come up with a business I can start with 100k but nothing is coming up. It was a friend of mine that gave me the advice of going into food stuff Business.
And I think there's no way people will not eat in a day.
If there's any other good business you think I can do with that start up capital please let me know.

Good idea But ur lesser supervision in this business makes it a NO GO AREA..i would like you to at least get some more cash and start up a reputable barbing salon in a busy environment ...Then employ a good baber who you will have an agreement with..Like in my area,my friend has a baber shop and the baber delivers 2500 daily...whether he works or not, No Excuse..Just an idea though ..God Bless

1 Like

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by wakes: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2015
You can get good cheap garri from Benue.
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by shorxynla(m): 2:11pm On Dec 29, 2015
Dotmax53:

Good idea But ur lesser supervision in this business makes it a NO GO AREA..i would like you to at least get some more cash and start up a reputable barbing salon in a busy environment ...Then employ a good baber who you will have an agreement with..Like in my area,my friend has a baber shop and the baber delivers 2500 daily...whether he works or not, No Excuse..Just an idea though ..God Bless
Noted for Action!
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by aloeman15(m): 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2015
there's an economic crunch coming. People will barb less. Govt is starting 1 meal a day next year. Price of foodstuff will go up.
If fuel scarcity persists how will you buy petrol? Many are losing their jobs but they must stil eat.
What are start up costs for each? And maintenance+running costs? How refined will the salon b? How refined does a food store need to be?
Lets have some feedback from you k?

4 Likes

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by samogo1: 10:15pm On Dec 29, 2015
@op we have like minds for 2016. Am going for foodstuff if u ask me. get sales girls. make sure u at least follow up with reports daily. maybe every evening. foodstuffs is easy to supervise. You should already know how many rubbers/modules are in a bag of rice or garri and at the end of selling a bag, the price should balance. you should already know how much profit will come out minimum from a bag of rice. carton of indomie or carton of tin tomato. so to me, foodstuffs is more easier to supervise and account for each sales. Afterall everyone MUST eats daily in form of rice/beans/garri/flour

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 11:38am On Aug 11, 2016
samogo1:
@op we have like minds for 2016. Am going for foodstuff if u ask me. get sales girls. make sure u at least follow up with reports daily. maybe every evening. foodstuffs is easy to supervise. You should already know how many rubbers/modules are in a bag of rice or garri and at the end of selling a bag, the price should balance. you should already know how much profit will come out minimum from a bag of rice. carton of indomie or carton of tin tomato. so to me, foodstuffs is more easier to supervise and account for each sales. Afterall everyone MUST eats daily in form of rice/beans/garri/flour
so have u actually started the business?
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Dotmax53: 11:39am On Aug 11, 2016
shorxynla:
Hello Fellow Nairaland Members. I really want to venture into food stuffs business come January 2016. I want to start on a small scale due to capital.

Where can I get bags of rice, beans, garri e.t.c at cheaper rates

Your advice and suggestions are highly welcome.

NOTE: my start up capital is 100k.
Op,how as it been?
Re: Help! I Need To Start Food Stuffs Business. by Ernest19: 6:59am On Mar 02, 2017
I like this idea of barbing salon.
More details on it please

(1) (Reply)

Ebay Checkout Available. / Meet 10 Silent Nigerian Billionaires You Probably Didn’t Know About / 5 Reasons Why You Should Start Your Own Work At Home Online Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.