Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers (1604 Views)

5 Important Things Recruiters Search For In Your Cv/resume / Young Man Showcases His Cv/resume In Unique Video Format / Write A Resume That Gets You Hired: 6 Common Resume Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by cosecx1: 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2015
Join our BBM Channel: C00331994‎ for more job/interview tips.

Getting a job is work on its own that requires you to invest strategically to get results! I am sure by now you know it is not an easy work getting a job! Truth is, there are jobs but limited expertise to fill up these roles. Imagine you are applying for a Financial Accountant role. Do you know how many qualified candidates would apply? I tell you, the minimum would be 50 (reason being that it’s a common role).

You have read the job profile and are conversant with the job functions and you meet the requirement to some extent. Then you click apply or send your CV to the stated email address. That is all! What more can you do? Nothing! You just have to wait (and pray) to be called for an interview.

While waiting, the contents of your CV will determine if you would be invited for an interview or not. Below is a list of common mistakes applicants make on their CVs:

Unprofessional Email Addresses

Applicants make this mistake a lot. It would not take up to 5 minutes to setup an email account with any of the free providers – Yahoo, Google, Hotmail, AOL, etc. So please set up a professional email account solely for job purposes.

Let’s consider a fictitious applicant called John DOE. First name is John, surname is Doe.

The following email addresses are considered unprofessional: hotjohn1@hotmail.com, john4luv@hotmail.com, doe_dman@aol.com, nice_doe@ymail.com, doe4real@yahoo.com, doebaby@gmail.com etc

Use professional email addresses like: jdoe@yahoo.com, johd@gmail.com, john.doe@aol.com, john_doe@ymail.com, j.doe@gmail.com, j-doe@hotmail.com, etc

Incorrect Contact Information

Why apply for a job if the employer cannot reach you? Ensure you type the correct telephone numbers, email addresses, and contact address. Always share a maximum of 2 functional telephone numbers on your CV.

Photographs and Irregular fonts, Grammatical Errors/Typos and Typing in Capital Letters

Unless you are applying to Nollywood, please do not attach pictures of yourself on your CV. This should be done ONLY if the employer requires you to. Always maintain a single font and font size. Scrutinize your CV for grammatical errors and typos before applying for any job. If you have to call a friend to help you review, please do so. Once you click ‘send’, it is over, your fate is sealed!

Also, please avoid typing with the caps lock on. Typing with the caps lock on makes your CV very unattractive to look at. See sample below.

WORK EXPERIENCE

1999 – 2000 XYZ PLC
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTANT

JOB DESCRIPTION:

MANAGING THE PAYROLL OF OVER 500 STAFF
PREPARATION OF QUARTERLY AND ANNUAL FINANCIAL REPORT INCLUDING PROFIT AND LOSS REPORT AND BALANCE SHEET REPORT
VAT, WHT REMITTANCE AND COMPLIANCE OF ALL TAX REGULATIONS

Uploading CVs in Picture Formats

Avoid sending your CVs in picture formats (.jpeg, .png, .bmp, etc). Apart from the fact that it is unprofessional, it also reduces your chances of being found during a database search. It is advisable to save in MS-Word format only.

A good CV should have the following: (Choose those applicable to you)

Name (Surname in CAPS, other names in title case)
Career Objective
Address (Not P.O. Box)
Email
Telephone Number(s)
Date of Birth
Nationality
Sex
Marital Status
Educational History (Please include dates): Tertiary | Secondary | Primary
Work Experience (Include Year, Position, Responsibilities and Achievements)
Projects (Final Year Thesis)
Awards
Publications
Languages Spoken
Core Skills (Computer - MS-Word, MS-Excel, etc, Listening Skills etc)
Personal Qualities
Certifications
Professional Memberships
Trainings
References (Not compulsory. But be ready to provide on request)

ACTION POINT:

When next you are applying for a job, get the job profile printed and restructure your CV to suit what the employer is looking for. A serious job-seeker cannot have a generic CV for all applications/positions! DO NOT FILL YOUR CV WITH LIES AND DO NOT COPY FROM A JOB PROFILE AND PASTE ON YOUR CV.

Join our BBM Channel: C00331994‎ for more job/interview tips.

1 Like

Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
Quite helpful.. Thank you.
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by amicable09(f): 4:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
Straight to the point!
OP, nice one... no too much talk on CV. Some other threads I've seen on how to write the perfect CV leaves me wondering if we are still talking about the same thing - CV! lol... issokay.
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by cosecx1: 4:26pm On Dec 28, 2015
You're welcome guys. We are Recruiters and we have more tips coming up.

Don't forget to join our BBM Channel: C00331994‎ for more job/interview tips.
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by ambassadorgozie(m): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Nice
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by ambassadorgozie(m): 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
amicable09:
Straight to the point!
OP, nice one... no too much talk on CV. Some other threads I've seen on how to write the perfect CV leaves me wondering if we are still talking about the same thing - CV! lol... issokay.

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by Chigorkizz(m): 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by shepherd77: 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2015
Good points.

Whoever needs Dragnet, SHL, Workforce PQ & Answers should check this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/2685888/myjob-mobile-app-android
Re: Common Cv/resume Mistakes - For Job Seekers by Payshence(f): 9:46pm On Dec 28, 2015
cosecx1:
You're welcome guys. We are Recruiters and we have more tips coming up.

Don't forget to join our BBM Channel: C00331994‎ for more job/interview tips.
Please me i need a job oo Biko nu help a sister from another mother.After my I.T,av nt been able to secure one.Plz add me on Whatsapp 08027101940,am not on BBM for now.tnks

(1) (Reply)

Vacancies At The Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (ikedc) / Massive Recruitment At Julius Berger / "The Place" Is Recruiting For A Restaurant Supervisor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.