Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,261 members, 7,818,888 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? (3861 Views)

Casual Workers Responsible For Fraud In Banks – NDIC, CIBN / My Secret Tips For A Career Success. Also Suitable For Jobseekers. / Do You Believe In Luck? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by uchetobi(f): 12:50pm On Nov 24, 2006
Well I strategy is very important for success of any kind. Why do you think people pay consultants millions to develop strategies to move their business to the next level? What is luck? I don’t believe in luck but I believe in favor from God. What is failure? Only when you concede in your heart that career wise you’ve failed that is when you are a failure. If right doesn’t work for you then try left. That is part of strategy. Cheers and never forget to ask God for favor in all your undertakings.
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Neoteny(m): 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2006
@uchetobi
okay, people consult consultants to develop strategies for them, right? okay. and what do the consultants consult? THE BLUEPRINTS OF PAST SUCCESSES THAT GOT LUCKY!!
consultants are not gypsies bent over a crystal ball, all they be are people who refer to documentation of theories and the methods of others.
i can consult till kingdom come but i wager not much would come out of it if luck isnt on my side. the best strategists do not always win the wars cos some other unforeseen factors may come into play to the ADVANTAGE of the little guy, the one who perhaps thought all hope was lost. so planning and forecasting do not lead to success always; they better prepare you to be successful when luck smiles upon you.
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Seun(m): 8:22am On Nov 25, 2006
You can't take advantage of "luck" if you're not prepared, so you better spend all your time preparing!
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by moleepaiko(m): 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2006
[/quote]Success is when opportunity meets preparation[quote]

I think many of us are talking about how to become RICH!!!
The real question was career sucess, strategy or luck?
I will surely subscribe to pure strategy, which is a combination of working hard, working smart and being prepared at all times to grab an opportunity when it shows itself. It has to even do with recognizing an opportunity!
I hate it when people resign to fate and try to paint the picture of a career sucess depending on pure luck and making it sound as if GOD is wicked.
Nothing, I mean NOTHING comes purely by luck! God could try to make you lucky when you buy a bottle of COKE for instance and get a crown cock that fetches you millions while in essence, He may be paying you back for all the hard work you have dedicated your life to, else where.
Guys, keep up the hard work, for sure you will succeed, even though LUCKILY!!!
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Neoteny(m): 12:00pm On Nov 26, 2006
You can't take advantage of "luck" if you're not prepared, so you better spend all your time preparing!
seun, you've encapsulated the best response into the tiniest space! you've said it all.

flag to moleepaiko

ive seen a fair number of hopeless drunks winning state and even national lotteries. they got lucky. so if i pop a bottle of coke and found fortune on the cork, it doesnt necessarily mean i worked for it in some past life. maybe i just got plain lucky.
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by uchetobi(f): 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2006
Neoteny:

@uchetobi

consultants are not gypsies bent over a crystal ball,

Dat will fall under the category of luck. LOL
Neoteny:

seun, you've encapsulated the best response into the tiniest space! you've said it all.

flag to moleepaiko

ive seen a fair number of hopeless drunks winning state and even national lotteries. they got lucky. so if i pop a bottle of coke and found fortune on the cork,

To fill out a lottery form is strategy. You must have thought to yourself "if i fill this form i might just win the lottery" its a stategy.

Neoteny:

i can consult till kingdom come but i wager not much would come out of it if luck isnt on my side.

You could decide to wait on luck. be sure to come back and tell us how far it has led you.

Dear people,
Tried, proven and confirmed; DEPEND ON LUCK AND GOD!
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Neoteny(m): 4:25pm On Nov 28, 2006
uchetobi:

Dat will fall under the category of luck. LOL
huh dont really get what yoiu mean right there. my point was consultants dont predict what can happen and thus recommend suitable course of action like they gaze into crystal balls. rather, it is my contention that all they do is analyze past successes and recommend strategies in conformity with what transpired before.

uchetobi:

To fill out a lottery form is strategy. You must have thought to yourself "if i fill this form i might just win the lottery" its a stategy.

its guessing. what we call taking a chance. i used the coke analogy, which doesnt require any lottery form filling. so if i buy a bottle of coke without knowing wots under the coke, that is strategizing in any case how many people DAILY fill out lottery forms and end up disappointed? because they arent lucky?

uchetobi:

You could decide to wait on luck. be sure to come back and tell us how far it has led you.
i'm waiting for an opportunity. when it comes, i dont have to tell you; you'll read of it in the papers.

uchetobi:

Dear people,
Tried, proven and confirmed; DEPEND ON LUCK AND GOD!

depend on LUCK and God. so why not depend on strategy? why omit it?
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Frankies(m): 4:41pm On Nov 28, 2006
This is a very interesting topic .

PERSONALLY, WITH ALL POSSIBLE EMPHASIS. GOD IS FIRST. GOD IS SUCESS. GOD IS EVERYTHING.

I HAVE KNOWN PEOPLE THAT GOT ALL THE GRADES IN LIFE BUT NO SUCCESS. I HAVE ALSO SEEN THOSE WITH NO SKIN PAIN MAKING IT IN THIS LIFE.

GOD BLESSES ANYONE WHO ASKS FOR IT .SO HAVE YOU ASKED FOR HIS FAVOUR TODAY??

BUT ONE THING MUST BE DONE. TRY AND BE IN GOOD TERM WITH THE LORD GOD. TRY AND FORSAKE ALL SINS AND BE FOR HIM. TRUST HIM ALL WILL WORK FINE FOR YOU. I MEAN REAL FINE.

I AM A LIVING EXAMPLE
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by uchetobi(f): 10:06am On Nov 30, 2006
Neoteny:

like they gaze into crystal balls.

I meant crystal ball is equivalent to luck

Neoteny:

I meant to say depend on strategy and God

Neoteny:

. i used the coke analogy, which doesnt require any lottery form filling. so if i buy a bottle of coke without knowing wots under the coke, that is strategizing in any case how many people DAILY fill out lottery forms and end up disappointed? because they arent lucky?

Opening a cork and looking under it is pure strategy.you have recognized that it could be a means to an end

Neoteny:

i'm waiting for an opportunity. when it comes, i don't have to tell you; you'll read of it in the papers.

From the bottom of my heart. Best of luck(since you depend on it)
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by lioness(f): 12:50pm On Dec 08, 2006
undecided
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by kamsi(f): 8:42am On Feb 09, 2007
Seun:

Seun the word luck that u wrote about is just opportunity. Neoteny is so intent on convincing everyone that luck is responsible for business strategy. Well wake up cos in the real world of business, opportunity with smart moves(strategy) is a leading way to success. Only a disillusioned mind sits and waits for mother luck to shine.
People that play the lotteries and win are very insignificant population of the entire lottery players. A lottery owner knows that to achieve success in that field the owner has to deliberately set out prizes to be won. so the winner player believes luck has shone on him/her but rather it was mere strategic plan by the owner.
Also one might ask the lottery player who won was luck. I say an emphatic NO cos that person was at "the right place at the right time" which was the opportunity destiny or God was presenting to that person. What if that person had gone pass the lottery stand definitely such a win wouldn't be his/hers. So the wise saying "opportunity comes but once" hold the truth.
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by Seun(m): 8:18am On Feb 11, 2007
So the wise saying "opportunity comes but once" hold the truth.
That's wrong!

My finding is that opportunity comes again and again, but one who is unprepared won't even recognize it as one.
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by lioness(f): 10:01am On Feb 13, 2007
embarassed
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by canachy(m): 3:02pm On Feb 15, 2007
what is luck? it simple means an intersecting point b/w preparation and opportunity. As for strategy, not every of that works; though a very nice one would land u on top
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by nduleme(m): 3:57pm On Feb 15, 2007
Strategy are certainly not inter – changeable, in fact at most occasion they are seen as world apart, because while a strategist is seen as a man ever prepared, a man with luck is seen as lazy. You could get far with luck, especially when you have all the god-fathers, nice legs, good smiles and right names!!! But believe me most times a dull guy with lucks eventually noticed when he gets at the top. The office suffers because he lacks the ware withal to deal with the exigencies of his position.

But when you talk strategy you are talking long - term plan to succeed. A strategy to move on in your office may be acquiring professional certificates, it may be understudying an individual that you know if destined for the top. A good strategist will not give room for luck, rather he tries to acquire all the skills necessary to attain and remain in a position he intends to acquire. Success from strategy depends entirely on the out - come of a good strategy.

When strategy is met with luck, it’s a bonus, think of a man acquiring skills to become the head of am organization, only for the present head to move on, this is luck with good elements of preparedness, because if this happens he will be well equipped to handle the situation

[

]
[/its guessing. what we call taking a chance. i used the coke analogy, which doesnt require any lottery form filling. so if i buy a bottle of coke without knowing wots under the coke, that is strategizing   in any case how many people DAILY fill out lottery forms and end up disappointed? because they arent lucky?]

The coke analogy those not quite fit with the lottery, because with the coke you have no idea of what is under the bottle but with a pool (lottery ) you have some knowlege of what had transpired
Re: What Is Responsible For Career Success? Strategy Or Luck? by MP007(m): 1:10pm On Dec 13, 2007
maturity and planning

(1) (2) (Reply)

Join The British Army / Why Employers Are Saying Yes To CIMA Qualification / Pls Help, Msc Process Engr Or Geophysics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.