Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,232 members, 7,829,419 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers (4250 Views)

Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / Dele Momodu Writes Buhari, Says Nigerians Are Lamenting / 105 Nigerian Soldiers Missing After Fierce Gun Battle With Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Ibime(m): 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2009
oyb:

its easy for people beyond the shores of nigeria to glorify and romanticize mend, but i wonder what the people at ground zero think of them.

Address me directly if you have a point to raise. . . . but I think this question is better posed to those on ground zero such as OW11 and WilyWily. . . .do they share contraire views?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by preselect(m): 6:56pm On Jun 12, 2009
the ANC was never involved in kidnapping or killing people, nelson mandela made it categorically clear that they were not anti whites, but anti white supremacy. ANC had international support, but even the international community that had sympathy for MEND is taken aback by the steady kidnapping of foreigners for money which eventually led to the death of at least one british national.  the same international support they need badly.

fact: the international community will not send any troops to fight for the niger-delta or to stop the federal army

fact:  MEND cannot over power the full weight of the nigerian military, even in the creeks.

fact: the little infrastructure destroyed in the mess, will take another decade or more to debate when to start rebuilding them. needless to say, the lives lost, are lost forever.

fact: after all the violence, the solution will come from the dialogue table.

fact: MEND cannot go it alone, they need the sympathy of the other regions of the country. this is sad, but true. that sympathy is being lost with each day of violence, kidnapping, etc.

fact: the niger-delta economy/security is going down, who looses? all of us but most especially the niger-deltans

fact: na for nairaland pres-elect and other political analysts go dey to analyse the crises as e dey unfold. while peoples homes and villages are ravaged. which people? niger-delta people

fact: a concerted continuous non-violent effort with sustained pressure will make the niger-delta issue a primary one for the nation. and this will bring some changes in the area.

fact: the best brains from the niger-delta leading this charge will be productive, they'll be joined by other forces from other parts, imagine people like gani and soyinka joining the pressure, things will change. nigeria didnt go to war to drive General IBB out of power, na y'aradua we no go fit influence his policy? (not even to drive him out, just to influence policy)

fact: there are people who benefit from this mayhem and they will want it to go on. they are routing for MEND to continue. na siddon look we dey
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jun 12, 2009
ibime cheesy cheesy

you are using wily wily as a case study cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

abeg no kill me with lafta cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by bawomolo(m): 7:04pm On Jun 12, 2009
the ANC was never involved in kidnapping or killing people, nelson mandela made it categorically clear that they were not anti whites, but anti white supremacy. ANC had international support, but even the international community that had sympathy for MEND is taken aback by the steady kidnapping of foreigners for money which eventually led to the death of at least one british national.  the same international support they need badly.

the ANC was involved in bombings during its early days.  Mandela went down on weapons and treason charges.

It took a reorganization by non-violence activists like steve biko before it got respect.   MEND has to change or else they would have as much credibility as somali pirates.

Do you want to be compared to hamas or the NAACP?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Ibime(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2009
Whilst we can all agree that the situation is not ideal, they say it takes two to tango. . . . I am wary of mindless drones bleating on about non-violent approach to conflicts when empirical evidence shows that most emancipation fights usually go down violently. . . .if the Nigerian Government was the British Government, then this point may have some legs, but I am waiting for someone to show me where a black African people have been emancipated from black African oppressors without the use of violence. . . infact, save for a few well-known examples such as Ghandhi, Nkruma, Azikiwe et al, most emancipation struggles do start with violence. . . it is pertinent to note that most of these non-violent struggles were successful against civilised Governments. . . . on the other hand, 90% of oppressed people are under oppression to Governments who do not know the meaning of the word. . . . if you deny people dialogue, it will inevitably lead to violence. . . even the uber-civilised Americans had to pick up arms to free themselves from their British masters. . . . Britain, and Europe as a whole learnt a harsh lesson from the American revolution and that informed their approach to conflict resolution. . . . however the case is different in most other parts of the world. . . . how were the Balkans Balkanised?. . . . how did Ethiopia ward off Italy's imperialistic advances. . . . and on and on and on. . . . for every successful non-violent emancipation, I can name 3 violent ones. . . . therefore, it is important for mindless drones to consider the evidence before bleating their ridiculous mantra. . . . I would like to remind one particular mindless drone (Bamowolo  grin) that Umkhoto We Sizwe only ended its operations in 1990 after the South African Government came to the negotiating table, since he keeps fallaciously claiming that ANC shunned its violent activities. . . in 1983 alone, Umkhoto was responsibe for 73 deaths. . . . even as recently as 1986, they chalked off more than 30 bodies. . . .

Now onto the kidnapping thing. . . .there is no doubt a lot of criminality involved. . . .and as some have mentioned, kidnapping foreigners may not be the best PR move. . . . but since pres-elect keeps bleating on about kidnappers, I would like him to provide a comparative analysis of volumes of kindapping in Anambra state and Delta State, Rivers or Bayelsa. . . . let us account for which ones are tied to common criminality and which ones are tied to the struggle. . . . . I personally know one dude I grew up with who they tell me can get you kidnapped. . . . but I sure as hell know he's got nothing to do with MEND. . .
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by preselect(m): 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2009
@ibime
you made some vital points. but look at it this way:

the issue now is that MEND needs the rest of the country to do this fight. and by the time they get the rest of the country, the international community will join the fight. b/c this is a humanitarian matter. nigeria is known all over the world as a corrupt nation and every nigerian initiative is suspect. by the time the international community sees kidnaps/ financial ransom. . . this whole serious issue is ridiculed as another scam/money making business.

unlike some of the examples u mentioned, the nigerian govt/niger-delta issue is not about break away or political freedom per se. it is about environment/health/ social ammenity/wealth distribution. we need not go to war for such issues that a country should offer naturally to its people.

an the good thing is that the fed govt is at least pretending to be ready to give the niger-delta what it should have. unlike the examples u gave where the oppressor is not hiding the fact that they want to opress forever. and when the fed govt grants amnesty b4 embarking on violence, the fed govt wins the first battle___the moral battle. this makes MEND look like common criminals. that is tooooooo baaad for this mission.

MEND has to look professional/humanitarian. violence must be eschewed. in all its ramification. b/c ur cause is a just cause and it will be easy to gain support. afer all, how popular is the nig govt. that's all i'm saying, shun this violence, get the support and see if the rest of the country get conscience or not.

another thing they can do is to use their force to ensure a free and fair elections in those areas. that way u guys can have real representatives at the center, who will even be part of the movt. orMEND can even form a political party and send people to abuja. things will start happening. try it.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by preselect(m): 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2009
and in getting international attention what do they notice? that kidnappers are asking for money? that their citi2ens are unsafe?

and pls i dont get how eliminating yoruba, edo, delta and bayelsa will solve this crisis. can u elaborate on that?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by bawomolo(m): 7:39pm On Jun 12, 2009
I would like to remind one particular mindless drone (Bamowolo Grin) that Umkhoto We Sizwe only ended its operations in 1990 after the South African Government came to the negotiating table, since he keeps fallaciously claiming that ANC shunned its violent activities. . . in 1983 alone, Umkhoto was responsibe for 73 deaths. . . . even as recently as 1986, they chalked off more than 30 bodies. . . .

was this insult necessary?

jeez
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ow11(m): 7:45pm On Jun 12, 2009
The Nigerian Government has to listen to the cries of its people and it is not by establishing NDDC and putting its yes-men that still share the proceeds with them.

Odili's thug (Ateke Tom) went on a violent campaign in Okrika and PH in 2002/03 on behalf of PDP and IYC had to step into the matter leading to the popular war in 2004 (via Asari Dokubo). MEND formed some time after that with the sole aim of violently bringing the Nigerian gov. to the negotiating table. The kidnapping was meant to scare the oil companies away. This act was taken over by the numerous gangs that exist in RV,BY and DT states and gang leaders like Niweigha, Tompolo, Ateke, Faye, Sobomabo Jackreece and the popular Soboma George decided to enter the business and this virus has sadly spread round the country. It is not news to any N-Deltan living in the creeks that 'bunkering' is done by all and sundry including Naval officers and these 'militants'.

I can not ascertain if all these names were affiliated to MEND but since MEND seems to be the most organised group in the region, they get all the bad press. Ateke has carried unprovoked attacks on policemen and possibly soldiers but soldiers weren't sent to fish him out. why? Is it because of his closeness to Odili and by extension Obasanjo? The only thing they did was to burn his house. No arrest! Today JTF is telling us they are all about destroying 'camp 5' and arresting or killing Tompolo but instead they are burning homes and murdering any young man  between 14 and 40 found in the villages surrounding 'camp 5'.

While I am not happy MEND has taught Nigerians how to kidnap for ransom, we have to recognise the message and act accordingly as simply waving  our arms and calling them common criminals is not the way forward.  They seemed to have realised that their 'war' can not be won by them alone and are probably looking for sympathy and allies.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by preselect(m): 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2009
?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by asha80(m): 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2009
Dem don ban becomerich again grin
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by bawomolo(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2009
guess who's back cheesy
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ow11(m): 7:56pm On Jun 12, 2009
becomrich;:

removing the yoruba, edo, delta and bayelsa solve the problem. you see if you look at the map. ijaws are mend. they live mostly in bayelsa state , delta, edo ,ondo. and rivers state.

if we do this only river state and have ijaws, looking at the satellite pictures degama area would remain. the population is not much that they can relocate. no worry we know wetin we they do relax,  una get that,  this way over 90% of ijaws are already in  benin republic.  and the nigeria govt claim the other have 70%. so let them have the 70%. and we have peace, 

at least they we stop killing our people. let give the north 70% of the oil and 90% of the land, so that we can have peace and they can stop killing people.

look we would be ok in benin republic. take my word for that. if we are not ok in the benin republic peace. everybody stop going to church and stop worship God and you can even hang or shoot me in public. believe me i know wetin i dey talk.  just believe and have faith.

Ijaws are not asking to leave Nigeria. They are asking for equity in oil revenue distribution and that the FG should release project specific monies and stop hobnobbing with our corrupt local leaders!
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Ibime(m): 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2009
ow11:

Odili's thug (Ateke Tom) went on a violent campaign in Okrika and PH in 2002/03 on behalf of PDP and IYC had to step into the matter leading to the popular war in 2004 (via Asari Dokubo). MEND formed some time after that with the sole aim of violently bringing the Nigerian gov. to the negotiating table.

. . .this is why I ask Texezzpete not to grieve more than the bereaved. . . .lemme tell you. . . . Im from George-Ama and Rufus is my fathers cousin. . .you know which Rufus Im talking about. . . . as you said, Ateke came to my village and burnt it down, leaving everyone homeless on Odili's instruction. . . . subsequently, Atekes boys shot my cousin dead when he went with the Bush Boys and Asari to chase Ateke out of Kirike. . . . so you can imagine how despondent I was when I heard that MEND was supporting Ateke in his beef with JTF, despite being at war with him over the previous years. . .

This is the crux of the issue, and what many people do not understand about MEND. . . . MEND is not an organised structure. . . . it is a grouping of different warlords (criminals),who are largely left to their criminal devices. . . .it is an open-source organisation where each warlord is left to his own device, but take instruction from a central command when political activities need to be carried out. . . . it is hard to rationalise how a coalition of criminals could be fighting toward a legitimate political goal. . . . . but this is no different to America employing pirates to patrol its waters and provide its maritime security in the years after independence. . . . it wont be the first time criminals have been co-opted into a political struggle. . . . whilst I wouldn't trust any particular band of MEND warriors, I do trust the central command. . . .Ateke and the rest of em will pay for their sins. . . . but that does not take away from the struggle. . . it is too important to get sidetracked. . . . I am still waiting for someone to tell me why MEND would risk life and limb travelling 250 km into the Atlantic to blow up Bonga oil flow for no apparent monetary gain if their goals are not political. . . .
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by MrCrackles(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2009
Ibime:

. . .this is why I ask Texezzpete not to grieve more than the bereaved. . . .lemme tell you. . . . Im from George-Ama and Rufus is my fathers cousin. . .you know which Rufus Im talking about. . . . as you said, Ateke came to my village and burnt it down, leaving everyone homeless on Odili's instruction. . . . subsequently, Atekes boys shot my cousin dead when he went with the Bush Boys and Asari to chase Ateke out of Kirike. . . . so you can imagine how despondent I was when I heard that MEND was supporting Ateke in his beef with JTF, despite being at war with him over the previous years. . . but that does not take away from the struggle. . . it is too important to get sidetracked. . . .

Shit homes! cry sad
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ow11(m): 8:20pm On Jun 12, 2009
becomrich;:

ow11, why dont you post your picture , address , and name,  so that those mend boy , would come have explain to you that they want to leave nigeria. ijaws want to leave nigeria. then let the union nation decide that. if the nigeria govt is bold about this issue. let allow the united nation into nigeria to conduct a vote if the ijaws want to join benin republic or want to remain in nigeria. allow the UN into nigeria period. let them conduct poll

Do yoruba, edo, delta and bayelsa want to be part of benin republic

1.  yes
2.  no

allow the UN to conduct this poll in this area of nigeria.

Who is this? Did you send your picture, name and address to MEND and you were expressly told by boyloaf that all his fighters are willing to down weapons and join this phantom country you are pandering about?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by asha80(m): 8:48pm On Jun 12, 2009
becomrich;:

owl, i know you must be igbo. phantom country you called it. you must be joking. i know nigeria politics. i know mend would agree, we have an Alliance in nigeria. we know who and what tribe would vote or support you on issue.

look go and find out chief obafemi awolowo won all time in ijawland. it was because of alliance. this is why the igbo have not be president in nigeria. political alliance do not favour them. if the yoruba ,edo, delta and bayelsa do not join benin republic, from my knowledge of nigeria. no igbo man die or alive would ever be president if we do not join the benin republic. the igbo either support our move to be part of benin republic , so that in 2015 an igboman can be president.

take my word, all of this mend would listen to us. i know so. it is just for the sake of peace, the yoruba have the strength, the money and means to do this without the national assembly and we cant be stop. check the satellite pictures and you would know why. we play the major part in stopping the civil war. and there is a reason why. not for the internet. we have more than 200 yorubas with over 40 to 50 million dollars. sponsorship for a mission like this is easy. ask any nigerian. they would tell so,
but our people only want peaceful means.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 12, 2009
what kind of gramma is this? which one be

"no igbo man die or alive"

I sabi why you no speak "no Igbo man die or arose"

grin grin grin grin
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ow11(m): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2009
becomrich;:

owl, i know you must be igbo.  phantom country you called it. you must be joking. i know nigeria politics. i know mend would agree, we have an Alliance in nigeria. we know who and what tribe would vote or support you on issue.

look go and find out chief obafemi awolowo won all time in ijawland. it was because of alliance. this is why the igbo have not be president in nigeria. political alliance do not favour them. if the yoruba ,edo, delta and bayelsa do not join benin republic,  from my knowledge of nigeria. no igbo man die or alive would ever be president if we do not join the benin republic.  the igbo either support our move to be part of benin republic , so that in 2015 an igboman can be president.

take my word, all of this mend would listen to us. i know so. it is just for the sake of peace, the yoruba have the strength, the money and means to do this without the national assembly and we cant be stop. check the satellite pictures and you would know why. we play the major part in stopping the civil war. and there is a reason why. not for the internet. we have more than 200 yorubas with over 40 to 50 million dollars. sponsorship for a mission like this is easy. ask any nigerian. they would tell so,   
but our people only want peaceful means.

Did you send your picture, name and address to MEND and was told that all Ijaw people will join a new Benin republic paraded by a semi-literate online pundit?
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Ibime(m): 9:13pm On Jun 12, 2009
;d ;d ;d
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ono(m): 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2009
You know, sometimes I like reading becomerich's entries . . . . . . . . has a funny way of adding some flavours to the discussions at hand. Keep it up bro.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by udezue(m): 10:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
Becomrich is a NUT JOB.

Anyways, good strategy by MED.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by vikiviko(m): 10:46pm On Jun 12, 2009
Ah Izon!
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Nobody: 12:50am On Jun 13, 2009
becomerich - thread derailer extraordinaire cheesy cheesy

see as the guy just scatter the thread.

i can't stop laughing
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Jakumo(m): 6:37am On Jun 13, 2009
BecomeRichism is a philosophy and a state of being that is only attainable by those who survive a rigorous screening and evaluation ordeal.

[center][size=15pt]All riiiiiiise !   His Excellency has entered the room. [/size] [/center]

Now please be seated and let the proceedings continue with no further interruptions, in an atmosphere of reverence and cordiality.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by otokx(m): 1:36pm On Jun 13, 2009
BecomeRich is really something else.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by NINETOFIVE(m): 6:46pm On Jun 13, 2009
Then there are others who have come with an ignorant and arrogant attitude developed by a strange doctrine that they are superior to our people in tribe, religion, culture and language. They have been told that their mission is to ensure that oil continues to flow from the South to the North and gas from the South to the West and the dollars generated be used to build super highways and buildings in those regions while the natives should be grateful to receive the crumbs and play second fiddle in an environment that is degraded by years of greed and insensitivity.

Apparently the militants knows whom the criminals are, understandably they would have shined their eyes, you can fool some people but not all the time.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by presido1: 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZnr7yHRlzw
Still the people they love to hate speaks for them.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by ow11(m): 2:09am On Jun 14, 2009
This charlatan has failed to realise Ijaw language has many dialects and should be vaguely aware that copying and pasting words from www.ijawdictionary.com does not make any one more genuine than they already are.

@becomrich;

I asked you if you gave your picture, full names and address to MEND and were told that the main reason they are blowing up pipelines is to join a new Benin republic and you have failed to provide a positive response.

You were hallucinating about my tribe earlier on, why didn't you guess I was Ogoni or Tiv? Debating with you is a complete waste of time that's why no one bothers with you. I will take my own advice and ignore your ramblings henceforth.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by Jakumo(m): 5:49am On Jun 14, 2009
To prevent people losing interest in this discussion thread, BecomeRich, it is imperative that you now produce and publish here a 300-page dissertation about the Yoruba race, and your paramount importance in their collective destiny.

Copious corroborating evidence must be attached in the form of maps, bar-graphs and of course satellite images, that will help readers visualize the historical and genealogical antecedents of the Yoruba race, as well as that of all Chinese populations who speak with the Cantonese dialect, showing their migratory routes dating back to the Ming Dynasty.

It is essential that the sheer VOLUME of your submission must inspire fear and awe in all readers, and that is why I have suggested a MINIMUM of 300 pages. You are at liberty, however, to create a thesis of several thousand pages, IF you feel that your main points cannot be adequately covered in a mere 300 pages of writing and maps.

We eagerly await your response to this humble request.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by NINETOFIVE(m): 6:31am On Jun 14, 2009
Becomerich,

Then there are others who have come with an ignorant and arrogant attitude developed by a strange doctrine that they are superior to our people in tribe, religion, culture and language. They have been told that their mission is to ensure that oil continues to flow from the South to the North and gas from the South to the West and the dollars generated be used to build super highways and buildings in those regions while the natives should be grateful to receive the crumbs and play second fiddle in an environment that is degraded by years of greed and insensitivity.

A clear understanding of this quote above would help you in understanding how eager, passionate and prepared the Niger Delta is in Uniting with the Yoruba's of western Nigeria, a group they 've sworn to follow with immediate effect in joining Benin Republic.
Re: MEND Writes An Open Letter To Nigerian Soldiers by dnex(m): 8:06am On Jun 14, 2009
So MEND don gentle? So dem don mild? Better gbeghe never even set and dem don dey write informal letter.

I want to see war, I want to see bloodshed, I want to see destruction just like MEND too said they wanted. So please I don't think this is the right time to start appealing to their brothers.

Like I said before since World War 1, every soldier training for the warfront has been tutored against cheap propaganda and will probably laugh at this letter. The 'brothers' however will find nothing funny about this Mr Jomo's letter because they've not even had their pound of flesh yet. In fact, they've not got an ounce.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Plan New Law Of The Jungle / 2015: We’ll Reclaim South-west States —pdp National Vice Chairman / Boko Haram Member Arrested In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.