Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Is Cracking The Neck Good Or Bad? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Cracking The Neck Good Or Bad? (1119 Views)

Knuckle Cracking: Annoying And Harmful, Or Just Annoying? / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / New Photos Of Man Who Had Tumor On His Neck & Was Treated Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Cracking The Neck Good Or Bad? by lexton(f): 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2015
Wondering whether popping your neck good or bad? There are two aspects to it. Apparently people feel good after they do that. But the flip side is indulging in excessive neck cracking could injure your neck ligaments. Check out the article below to know this cracking concept.
Remember Bruce Lee cracking his neck or better still, cracking someone else's neck in his action packed movies? Neck cracking is a very common habit which quite a few amongst us have. It is a misconception that neck cracking is not a major issue. Further, it is thought of as relieving the strain at the back of the neck. But it is actually not the case. Cracking your neck would mean stretching your neck muscles and ligaments. A slight pressure while exercising or usually once in a while to loosen up or get rid of neck pain is fine. But repeated cracking may not be advisable and it is an indication of a thing called hypermobility. Whether cracking your neck is good or bad, is a very interesting but a serious issue to explore.

What Is Involved in Neck Cracking?

Our neck, as we all know comprises many bones and muscles, which are responsible for the movement of our head. Cracking the neck joint (also called neck popping) or any joint actually leads to release of fluid or gas within the joints. It is an effect of a sudden development of temporary vacuum develops and is filled by gas, which was trapped in the joint fluid. Thus, when you stretch that joint, 'pop' or crack it goes.

If an individual has an urge to crack his or her neck frequently, then it means that he or she has hypermobility. This refers to a higher movement range of the joints than normal. What happens here is that the supporting muscles have to strain themselves more than normal for limiting the movements of the joint. If this is carried on for a long time, the muscles become weak and it seems that they are restricting your neck movements. Consequently they lead to frequent neck cracking. Cracking neck and pain then become inseparable.

Side Effects of Popping Your Neck

Most chiropractors, even though they may have a slight difference in opinion, agree to one thing that cracking neck may not be an exactly a good idea. There are considerable side effects. First of all, contrary to popular belief, cracking neck does not provide relief from neck pain. Rather, the more often you crack your neck, the ligaments in the neck will be unduly stretched, causing degeneration of the neck joint. As they would not get their original elasticity and tightness immediately. Moreover, when you feel good after cracking your neck, the reality is that the joints become loose, leading to hypermobility, which is not advisable. So is cracking neck good or bad? I guess, it is not an advisable thing to do.

Another significant and possible side effect of neck cracking is that every time you crack your neck, there is a threat to one of the major arteries going down our neck. Your bone cartilage of the vertebrae too, is worn out as an effect of chronic neck popping. This in turn can lead to arthritis, if carried on for a long time. If you get this urge to crack your neck often it means that you could have an alignment problem with your spine.

Dealing with Neck Cracking

Now it is up to those who are chronic neck crackers to decide is cracking neck safe or not. But how do you deal with this problem, if people want to get rid of it? The first thing you can do to reverse the damage is to do some muscle toning exercises. As the muscles gain strength, you would not feel the urge to crack your neck. The neck muscles will be prevented from getting stiff. Chiropractors will be the best people to help you out with this. Along with exercises, maintaining a good posture and neck position while working, especially will also contribute to solving this problem.

After going through the article, I am sure if you crack your neck, you would give it a serious thought next time. This is where I sign off!
Read more at iBuzzle: http://www.the911blog..com

Re: Is Cracking The Neck Good Or Bad? by adewaletb3(m): 5:51pm On Dec 29, 2015
We would surely die one way or the other.
Re: Is Cracking The Neck Good Or Bad? by sinaj(f): 6:06pm On Dec 29, 2015
I just cracked my neck now grin

I jux cnt do Witat it tongue

(1) (Reply)

See The Seven Official Sins Of Sugar (You Gotta See Them!) / The New Mum - First Time Mums And Experienced Mums / Help Me!i Suffer Malaria Very 10days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.