Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,808 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Yoruba Calender - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Calender (3304 Views)

What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Yoruba Calender by feedthenation(m): 6:08pm On Dec 29, 2015
Before widespread use of the Gregorian calendar, Yoruba people used a lunar calendar called Kójódá. According to this calendar, the year begins on the third of June and ends on the second of June. This is because June is when new crops began to appear, meaning that there will be food for everyone.

The Yoruba calendar (Kojoda) year starts from 3 June to 2 June of the following year. According to this calendar, the Gregorian year 2015 A. D. is the 10,057th year of Yoruba culture.

The traditional Yoruba week has four days. The 4 days that are dedicated to the Orisa goes as follow:

Day 1 is dedicated to Obatala (Sopanna, Iyaami, and the Egungun)
Day 2 is dedicated to Orunmila (Esu and Osun) *
Day 3 is dedicated to Ogun (Osoosi)
Day 4 is dedicated to Sango (Oya)

To reconcile with the Gregorian calendar, Yoruba people also measure time in seven days a week and four weeks a month. The four day calendar was dedicated to the Orisas and the seven day calendar is for doing business.

Months of the year:
Oṡu in Yoruba calendar Months in Gregorian calendar

ÒKÙDÚ June

AGḖMṐ July

ÒGÚN August

OWḖRḖ September

ṐWARO October

BḔLU November

ṐPḖ December

ṠḔRḔ January

ÈRÉLE February

ḔRḔNA March

IGBE April

ḔBÍBÍ May

Further historical information will be highly appreciated.
Re: The Yoruba Calender by Wizprodigy: 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2015
Source?
Re: The Yoruba Calender by Claireshan1(f): 10:54am On Aug 03, 2016
Good morning guys
Sorry for troubling your guys mention lately,and again I'm kindly soliciting for you guys vote during the on going Mr Nairaland pageantry for the contestant Iamkingzlee.

It's a huge a favour I'd appreciate if you've got time to vote

Voting starts at 10am and closes 6pm today

To vote, Just click on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final#48137393

And comment

"I vote for iamkingzlee
Cc: NLjega"

Altering the format above would make your vote invalid.

Thanks a lot.
Anticipating your vote

Good morning guys
Sorry for troubling your guys mention lately,and again I'm kindly soliciting for you guys vote during the on going Mr Nairaland pageantry for the contestant Iamkingzlee.

It's a huge a favour I'd appreciate if you've got time to vote

Voting starts at 10am and closes 6pm today

To vote, Just click on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final#48137393

And comment

"I vote for iamkingzlee
Cc: NLjega"

Altering the format above would make your vote invalid.

Thanks a lot.
Anticipating your vote

adexoramo ,
jasper83 ,
Harwoyeez
Leyelyzo
demeele,
princetiwo
ForcefullBULL ,
Levelzguy
emmykey0128
geefivez
tolulakin
Zaramdgreat
n3xt
mrayosexy
Aare2050
Ema2nty ,
ngkessy ,
9iceboi
9jacodedgist
MadCow1 ,

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From Ongoing Coronation Of Tor Tiv In Benue State. / Does Nigeria Have Honour Killings? / Pericoma – Obia Egbu Anyi ,egbu Onwe Ya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.