Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? (10109 Views)

Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 / Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 2:56am On Jun 12, 2009
Nigeria as a country is filled with inconsistences,,in many fora in the recent past, Nigeria's population has been quoted to be between 120Million,140Million and some saying its 160Million.
Some other contributors said the population of Nigeria is about 200Million! Now my fear and question is that there is a wide gap between 120 and 140 Million talkless of 160 or 200 Million,,,How can a country that claims to be the giant of Africa be so confused as to what exactly is her official population figure?The population figure of Lagos State by the state Government is in contradiction with the figure released by the federal Government,,,, shocked
Just want to get peoples feelings and response to this development,
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by strangleyo: 3:10am On Jun 12, 2009
Governors would prefer to inflate the population of each state so they can get more federal allocation.

Nigeria may actually have a much smaller population thatn the 150m its been tagged with.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 3:28am On Jun 12, 2009
strangleyo:

Governors would prefer to inflate the population of each state so they can get more federal allocation.

Nigeria may actually have a much smaller population thatn the 150m its been tagged with.
But Lagos as a state does not need to depend on federal allocation for sustainance,,,as regards Lagos state population,,,I would rather believe what the state Govenment said than believing the Federal Government,,,By my assessment,,,Lagos is more than 20 Million people and still growing,,
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Bolarge(m): 8:30am On Jun 12, 2009
156,478,546. cool

Not counting any births or deaths today. cool
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 12, 2009
@poster

I promise you that before the day runs out, Becomrich will give you enough figures in the form of google maps. And you will be like "sorry, i dont want to know the population of nigeria again" tongue
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by MrCrackles(m): 9:58am On Jun 12, 2009
Topic

Put it this way, OVERPOPULATED!
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 10:24am On Jun 12, 2009
Bolarge:

156,478,546. cool

Not counting any births or deaths today. cool
How did you arrive at that figure?? how authentic? someone said its 150Million above whereas some others are insisting we re about 200Million,,my question is this,,if we can't get an accurate figure now,,I doubt if we would ever get one in the future,,
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by hackney(m): 10:27am On Jun 12, 2009
The truth is that nobody knows.
let's put it at the official figures + or - 10m people.
This is because of the political influence of census figure outcomes.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by ohaechesi(m): 11:33am On Jun 13, 2009
individually, we can't arrive to the actual figure of Nigerian population. let the government conduct a transparent and geniune census if there could ever be one geniune conduct in Nigeria due to politcal toast.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by DDbrown1: 11:37am On Jun 13, 2009
hackney:

The truth is that nobody knows.
[b]let's put it at the official figures + or - 10m people.

This is because of the political influence of census figure outcomes.[/b]

You actually have to -10m for northen states and +10m for southern states. The North have being counting Malus as human for decades.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by bandely(m): 11:43am On Jun 13, 2009
DD brown:

You actually have to -10m for northen states and +10m for southern states. The North have being counting Malus as human for decades.

LWKMD
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Lips1: 1:34pm On Jun 13, 2009
@ DD brown- c'mon, don't be like that, naija is one country and the sooner we stop this north-south BS the better it'll be for all of us. We're stuck together as one so causing divisions or one side hating the other is not good for anyone. it just shows how backward our thinking is. Just b'cuz ppl are different from u doesn't mean u should make jokes about them not human beings!
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by MUZBO(m): 3:30pm On Jun 13, 2009
@poster, if you are not the DG or some official with the populations commission then I wonder why you bother about this. We should concern ourselves more with the number of corrupt politicians in Nigeria so that we can pray for a specific measure of earthquake to wipe them out wherever they travel to, afterall we'd have a more specific figure if not for corruption. [color=#000099][/color]
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by nickybayo(f): 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2009
well populated
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by drossy(m): 3:44pm On Jun 13, 2009
if you work in a maternity centre like island maternity or uniben teaching hospital, you will feel its a billion!!!!
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by itumama: 4:03pm On Jun 13, 2009
In nigeria we dont av exact result after census,the counters just make account on where they could reach cos they dont get to some rural places in nigeria en we av a lot of people there.They just try their best en leave the rest.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by duduspace(m): 4:08pm On Jun 13, 2009
By my very rough estimate, between 95 million and 110 million. It is near impossible for the population of Nigeria to have increased by close to 50% from the 80+ million of the 1991 census to the 120+ million of the 2006 census over a 16 year period when the trend shows the average size of families is dropping.
I'm basing this on the premise that the 1991 census is relatively accurate and that the population has increased, in the alternative the population could actually have dropped even though that is very unlikely.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by stmanpule(m): 4:52pm On Jun 13, 2009
Nigeria's population is about the 160 million has stated and not speculated
http://mycitynews..com
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by kored(m): 5:13pm On Jun 13, 2009
nobody knows the exact figure, those figures you see around are nothing but political figures. Politics and tribalism are the major problems in this country. may God help us. angry
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by udezue(m): 5:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
1 billion and counting.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by UyiIredia(m): 6:59pm On Jun 13, 2009
what was the census for !!!!!!!! >>>>>>>> chei !!!!!!!! shocked shocked
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 7:03pm On Jun 13, 2009
Nigeria's population cannot really be estimated. However, it should be around 130-200 million. We should remember that there are many Nigerians who live in other countries, and they are not usually counted during the census programs. In Benin Republic, we have almost 100,000 Nigerians there. Not to talk of Nigerians in Ghana, Cote Di Voire and other African countries. Then we have Nigerians in Europe and North America. Not all of them carry European, Canadian or American Passports. And like someone said, the Census program has been politicised in Nigeria. Figures are manipulated at will to suit Governors and other Politicians. God help us cry cry
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 7:07pm On Jun 13, 2009
We need to have an accurate record of the births and deaths in Nigeria to get an idea of the number of people residing in the country. Cheers.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by SapeleGuy: 7:52pm On Jun 13, 2009
Nigeria is the only country in the world where the population actually increases as it moves from the tropics to the arid savannah. In the rest of the world the exact opposite is correct. This 'Ojoro' phenomena must be worthy of further investigation.

Real Truth - The population is clearly over inflated.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Ekiti86: 8:09pm On Jun 13, 2009
I think it is between 145 mill to 180 mill now. cry And I am just referring to Lagos & Ibadan lol
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by spikedcylinder: 8:14pm On Jun 13, 2009
Ekiti86:

I think it is between 145 mill to 180 mill now. cry And I am just referring to Lagos & Ibadan lol

Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Treetop20(m): 8:15pm On Jun 13, 2009
Ekiti86:

lol cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by naijaking1: 8:47pm On Jun 13, 2009
Ever wondered why they don't want ID, social security, or civic cards in Nigeria?
Ever wondered why birth and death rates are not used to compute our census?
How about school enrollment? Forty years after Independence, with the Hausaman being in power most of the time, they would still give 'we're educationally disadvantaged' excuse.
Ever wondered why 25-30, 000 pupils enroll for Jamb from Imo and Oyo, and 1200 would enroll from Jigawa, and Katsina?
How about economy? Ever wondered how many taxable adults are from North, East, and West?
The answer to these "wonderements" will tell you who doesn't want NIgeria accurate census.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 9:40pm On Jun 13, 2009
@ Becomrich

There are even more than 100,000 Nigerians in Benin Republic. They are mainly of the Yoruba stock. They live in the Southeastern part of the country. Apart form the migration of Yoruba people there in the 12th century, many Yorubas from Oyo and Ogun State live in Benin Republic as traders and merchants. Nigeria and Benin Republic have historical bonds which remain till today. The place names in yorubaland in Nigeria are almost the same in Benin Republic. An example is Mokola in Ibadan, Oyo State which is called Makola in Benin Republic. The population of Benin Republic is 8, 791, 832 [ Source: CIA website ]. The Yorubas constitute 12.3% of Benin Republic's population. The proximity of the two countries makes it easy for Nigerians to live in Benin Republic. I dont want to go into too much details, mate. Yoruba is also widely spoken in Benin Republic.

Even Angelique Kidjo has roots in Nigeria. Her mum lived in Nigeria for many years. She has cousins and relatives in Nigeria. And she speaks a variant of yoruba language called fon. My parents had househelps when I was young. They were from Benin Republic and Togo and their names were Yoruba e.g Wale, Dejo etc . We don't need to relocate to Benin Republic. We are already there in large numbers. 1 out of every 4 Africans is a Nigerian. Cheers.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by vikiviko(m): 10:51pm On Jun 13, 2009
As at today 210 Million

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Madam Jonathan And Her English / Power Generation Drops To 2,628.6 Megawatts / Anambra Gas Reserve: DPR Certifies Re-Entry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.