Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? (10116 Views)

Nigeria's Population To Surpass U.S By 2050 / Nigeria’s Population To Hit 170 Million This Year / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:41am On Jun 14, 2009
Its over populated that's for sure!! lipsrsealed. . err, . . when was the last census??
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by folem: 1:41am On Jun 14, 2009
It is doubtfull if Nigeria's population is actually more than 120 Million given our penchant for inflating figures.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 2:04am On Jun 14, 2009
@Becomerich,,,someone had already warned me earlier on as regards ur graphical cum Map Illustration,,,my guy you get me even more confused,,,what has Naija's population got to do with Togo and Republic of Benin
Bottomline is that,,,its highly irresponsible of our leaders not having the ability to categorically state what our population figure is,,,Many years back,,,there was this estimation that out of every four Africans,,,you would find a Nigerian,,,that is to say Nigeria's population is a quarter of Africa,,,Therefore,,Africa's population has been adjudged to be slightly over a Billion now,,,
A rough and quick mathematics would put Nigeria at probably around 250Million or above,,,,if the Government fails to address this issue,,,Nigeria would continue to face unprecedented social,moral,environmental and structural problems,,,,In a serious country,,there is the need to determine the number of people that should reside in a locality or square metre,,,take for instance ajegunle and agege in lagos,,,these areas are far far more than over populated,,,Ajegunle alone is bigger than Jamaica in terms of population,,,Then the whole of Lagos is probably the size of Ghana population wise,,,,,,I just am wondering if people THINK in that country at all,,,
Yet you would see people getting pregnant and givin g birth to 5 kids,,,wahala dey oooo,,,,
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by folem: 2:25am On Jun 14, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

@Becomerich,,,someone had already warned me earlier on as regards ur graphical cum Map Illustration,,,my guy you get me even more confused,,,what has Naija's population got to do with Togo and Republic of Benin
 Bottomline is that,,,its highly irresponsible of our leaders not having the ability to categorically state what our population figure is,,,Many years back,,,there was this estimation that out of every four Africans,,,you would find a Nigerian,,,that is to say Nigeria's population is a quarter of Africa,,,Therefore,,Africa's population has been adjudged to be slightly over a Billion now,,,
 A rough and quick mathematics would put Nigeria at probably around 250Million or above,,,,if the Government fails to address this issue,,,Nigeria would continue to face unprecedented social,moral,environmental and structural problems,,,,In a serious country,,there is the need to determine the number of people that should reside in a locality or square metre,,,take for instance ajegunle and agege in lagos,,,these areas are far far more than over populated,,,Ajegunle alone is bigger than Jamaica in terms of population,,,Then the whole of Lagos is probably the size of Ghana population wise,,,,,,I just am wondering if people THINK in that country at all,,,
 Yet you would see people getting pregnant and givin g birth to 5 kids,,,wahala dey oooo,,,,

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/Connections/Pop2006.pdf

FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA 2006 Population Census
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 2:39am On Jun 14, 2009
folem:

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/Connections/Pop2006.pdf

FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA 2006 Population Census

By the info in that site,,Lagos was said to be 9Million in 2006,,,this is unbelieveable and unacceptable,,,,The population of Ajegunle, Agege,the whole of mile2 towards Okokmaiko and Mushin is more than 9million as at 2006,,,therefore this report is null and void,,,and its repugnant to every reasonable permutations and realities on ground,,,
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 2:52am On Jun 14, 2009
@Becomrich, I did not say the Yoruba People in Benin Republic have Nigerian Passports. What I'm saying is that we have a good number of Nigerians in Benin Republic who live and trade there. I hold a degree in History and I schooled in Ibadan. Maps are not sufficient enough to tell you the population of a country Are you aware that a trade route still exists between Ibadan and Benin Republic? My Aunt's housemaid in Ibadan back in 2001/2002 was from Benin Republic. I was shocked when she told me of a road that connects Ibadan to Benin Republic. Some of the outermost parts of Benin Republic are very close to towns in Oyo and Ogun States. People form towns in Oyo and Ogun states live in Benin Republic. It is just that our government is not good in data capture and management.

We need to work on our birth and death records to know our true population. With all the baby dedication in our churches, I know we've grown so much in population. Are you also aware that  many Nigerians work on the cocoa plantations in Ivory Coast? I dont want to say much again, lest I be accused of being arrogant. Do your research. It is very true that 1 out of every 4 Africans is a Nigerian. Cheers.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by folem: 3:13am On Jun 14, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

By the info in that site,,Lagos was said to be 9Million in 2006,,,this is unbelieveable and unacceptable,,,,The population of Ajegunle, Agege,the whole of mile2 towards Okokmaiko and Mushin is more than 9million as at 2006,,,therefore this report is null and void,,,and its repugnant to every reasonable permutations and realities on ground,,,

grin grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-35352.96.html

New voters register puts Lagos figure = 4,204,000 , a little below the previous figure of 4,558,216

http://www.tribune.com.ng/16022007/news/news2.html
http://www.triumphnewspapers.com/62m162207.html

Latest Analysis from Lagos "Census" will now be:

Age 0 -5 = 3.19 Million
Age 6 -17 = 2.06 Million
Age 18 - above = 4.20 million
TOTAL = 9.45 Million.

Given that some people left Lagos during the census and that only 98 % of Nigerians was claimed to be counted by N.P.C., It is plausible that Lagos is indeed 9.01 Million.

The figures above are the "human figures" (as opposed to Vehicles, Buildings & Satellite Pictures) being used by Lagos State to disprove The NPC results.

School age for Primary - Secondary School = 6 -18

Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 3:25am On Jun 14, 2009
@Becomrich

I was serving in Ondo State during the last census program. I know of some people that were not counted in the state. A Nigerian Professor also wrote in The Guardian that he and his family were not counted, though they waited for the Enumerators to come to their house. They waited in vain cry cry   Anyone who believes that Nigeria has 120-130 million citizens is joking. The wars in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, Congo et al has decimated the population of these countries while Nigeria's population continued to increase. Lots of factors come into play when a nation's population is to be determined. Back in 1994-1995, America's population was 240 miliion. I saw this figure in the USIS published year book. Today, the population of the USA is 300 miliion plus. Do your research.

The truth is Nigeria does not have the technology to conduct a very accurate headcount of her citizens. Cheers.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Redman44(m): 10:09am On Jun 14, 2009
@Becomrich

Yeah, I know Northern Nigeria is not as densely populated as we are made to believe. The Governors in the North love manipulating the results of the census so that they can get huge financial allocations from Abuja. They have perfected their manipulative skills that they also bring in people from Niger Republic and Chad to participate in elections. However, there is a lot of movement of people between Nigerian and neighbouring countries and the government has not been able to count out and count in people. Infact, no country has been able to do this accurately. That is why America's population is increasing and the US Government has to keep playing catchup to know the number of people in the states. Record keeping is a tough task, bruv. Cheers.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Abagworo(m): 10:50am On Jun 14, 2009
Funny!funny!nigeria is not up to 90 million.i was involved in osun-ifewara in atakunmosa.the figures were inflated 100%.infact we were given target figures that one must meet before being paid.my friend who served in katsina told me same.in the entire country,target population was given prior to the census. We can use school enrollment and registered business to do random estimate but the actual population of nigeria can never be determined anytime soon.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by messiah(m): 11:47am On Jun 14, 2009
As long as our leaders politicise everything and the masses attach sentiment to trivial things, we can never know the real figure.
I don't know why the Southerners just can't believe the Northerners outnumber them. Hmm, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Lips1: 11:53pm On Jun 14, 2009
messiah:

As long as our leaders politicise everything and the masses attach sentiment to trivial things, we can never know the real figure.
I don't know why the Southerners just can't believe the Northerners outnumber them. Hmm, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

what r u thinking?
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by davidif: 12:51am On Jun 15, 2009
What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population?

@poster
Truth of the matter is that nobody knows.

Politicians influence the population of there state to get more money from the federal government.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by vikiviko(m): 7:10am On Jun 15, 2009
Politricksters or not the population of Nigeria will be in the 200 range.

Check the rise in human traffic in Lagos.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by REALTRUTH1: 7:45am On Jun 15, 2009
becomrich;:

abagworo you are telling your normal lie, here is the population of ifewara and others in that local govt,

68 k . so where is the quotal you claim,
You can clearly see why I think Nigeria almost 200Million,,,yet the Government is doing virtually nothing to educate the citizens in effective birth control practice,,,when U keep having conflicting and counter conflicting report of the exact population figure,,,,how can we ever get it right as a nation??
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by pek(m): 9:22am On Jun 15, 2009
who cares when the authorities concerned cannot provide the answer. i was a supervisor in the last censure and can tell you that a quater of my contituency was not counted. noone  botheres about all that. all they are interested is the monetary gains. a lot of irregularites occur and i think the best option is just to forget about census or we can employ satteliite to do it for us. i hope we will not forget the Koma-like villages and settlements.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by tpiah: 2:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
Abagworo:

Funny!funny!nigeria is not up to 90 million.i was involved in osun-ifewara in atakunmosa.the figures were inflated 100%.infact we were given target figures that one must meet before being paid.my friend who served in katsina told me same.in the entire country,target population was given prior to the census. We can use school enrollment and registered business to do random estimate but the actual population of nigeria can never be determined anytime soon.

what's the exact population and demographics of Osun state? Rhetorical question.

@ topic

nobody knows for sure. And from time immemorial, Nigeria has always had extremely porous borders.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by festogift: 3:53pm On Jun 15, 2009
can someone give me exatly nigeria population
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2009
I will say 150M people
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by pek(m): 5:46pm On Jun 15, 2009
how is the population of nigeria my headache? i av better things to think of. we manipulate everything manipulatable. so, lets get real and forget about the true population of nigeria.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by bashali: 12:38am On Jun 16, 2009
the population of igbo is only 5 million
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by kshow1(m): 10:49am On Jun 16, 2009
festogift:

can someone give me exatly nigeria population

Even the head of the national population census cannot give an acurate figure cos he knows that there has never been anytime in Nigeria where there was a thorough count i.e some area were not counted but given estimated figures all in the name of politics.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by DRANOEL(m): 1:13pm On Jun 16, 2009
just thinking out loud,

the north predominantly muslims,average marriage age 15-17,average wives per person-4,average kids per household 20,added to the daily number of immigrants from niger,chad and co

the south predominantly christians,average marriage age 27-30,average wives per-person 1,average kids per-house hold 5 (these days most enlightend ones go for 2),daily number of immigrants (mainly lagos) mostly businessmen men on a biz trip.

with the above another man in another country will say the north is way more populated than the south butthis is nigeria where every thing has to be against the north right?

as for the topic,nigeria is actually less than 130million
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by grafikdon: 1:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
bashali:

the population of igbo is only 5 million

No becomerich, you are wrong. It is less than 500,000.

The population of Nigeria is not anywhere close to 120 million, even when you reverse the ''inflation'' and ''deflation'' of the census figures. We also do not have up 100 ethnic groups. Villages, clans, dialects etc are not ethnic groups.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 17, 2009
@Topic.
Ya'll must be ful of shit (lol) No one knows and can never know d exact Nigerian population.
We're more than 5 billion in 9ja. Period.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:19am On Jun 17, 2009
grafikdon:

No becomerich, you are wrong. It is less than 500,000.

The population of Nigeria is not anywhere close to 120 million, even when you reverse the ''inflation'' and ''deflation'' of the census figures. We also do not have up 100 ethnic groups. Villages, clans, dialects etc are not ethnic groups.
You should take a trip to a middle-belt state
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by tpiah: 1:34am On Jun 17, 2009
Is not knowing Nigeria's population directly related to our tradition of saying a man never counts how many children he has?

Just wondering if that ancient polygamic mindset is still affecting us today.

People believed counting households was taboo, and could bring bad luck.

Cant say the censuses have proved them wrong a la the constant fighting over numbers and the readiness to doctor results before they're out.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by DrKing(m): 1:50am On Jun 17, 2009
Demographically we need to know Nigerian population disaggregated by gender, age and other inidices basically for the purpose of development. For instance, how do we plan in terms of education without knowing the population age groups in any state or local government area? That's why we do not have daily update list of births and deaths unlike other developed nations. Tradition or nor tradition, we cannot avoid to be achaic in this regard. Presently Lagos State is trying to challenge the last census but with data, ?
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by strangleyo: 2:00am On Jun 17, 2009
DrKing:

Demographically we need to know Nigerian population disaggregated by gender, age and other inidices basically for the purpose of development. For instance, how do we plan in terms of education without knowing the population age groups in any state or local government area? That's why we do not have daily update list of births and deaths unlike other developed nations. Tradition or nor tradition, we cannot avoid to be achaic in this regard. Presently Lagos State is trying to challenge the last census but with data, ?

Plan? Have u seen Nigeria? Plan? Ha, Nigeria there is no planning.

Politicians in Nigeria don't plan unless its a plan to loot the trasury.
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by Vuitton(m): 7:29pm On Jun 17, 2009
No one knows for such. All we can do is guess and estimate undecided
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by mamagee3(f): 2:30am On Jun 18, 2009
148 million wink
Re: What Exactly Is Nigeria's Population? by kodewrita(m): 6:47pm On Jun 18, 2009
How is this going to make us

----richer?
----happier?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Hails Oyebanji, APC For Ekiti Electoral Victory / We Won’t Fail Nigerians – Acting CJN, Olukayode Ariwoola (Video) / 35% Of Recruitments Into NSCDC, Fire Service, Others To Be Women – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.