Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 (33189 Views)

Just In: Document Showing The Transfer Of $47m From CBN Loaded In 11 Suitcases / A Pie Chart Showing The Pattern Of Buhari's Appointments / Photo: Document Showing How They Shared Our Common Patrimony @ NDDC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by Image123(m): 2:20pm On Dec 31, 2015
unibenstudent1:
Here is the population of Nigeria as against the present population of 2013 .
click link to see population of 2013,this will shock you.
http://coolestchris..com.ng/2015/12/document-showing-population-of-nigeria.html

The North has always been well populated but not too civilized. 8 of the 10 largest towns were Yoruba towns, respect. Although the Yorubas have not built on that. Thank God for Lagos that still covers their shame small and the free education scheme that their leaders helped with. The igbos have real soul searching to do. Onitsha and Owerri had highest population in the South though no TOWNS sha. What happened after was that thwy moved to other parts and Lagos looking for money, and then the civil war really had an impact. yet they are clamouring for another war. May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 31, 2015
fulanimafia:

Arguing the northern population with them is only an invitation to IQ reversal.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2015
fulanimafia:

Arguing the northern population with them is only an invitation to IQ reversal.
North is not an ethnic group. Its akin to equating the whole East as an ethnic group, when we have other minorities therein.
Hausa we know, Tiv we know, Fulani we know, Gwari we know, but North we do not know.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by folem: 4:18am On Jan 01, 2016
[size=16pt]The amazing, surprising, Africa-driven demographic future of the Earth, in 9 charts[/size]

The United Nations Population Division, which tracks demographic data from around the world, has dramatically revised its projections for what will happen in the next 90 years. The new statistics, based on in-depth survey data from sub-Saharan Africa, tell the story of a world poised to change drastically over the next several decades. Most rich countries will shrink and age (with a couple of important exceptions), poorer countries will expand rapidly and, maybe most significant of all, Africa will see a population explosion nearly unprecedented in human history.

If these numbers turn out to be right – they're just projections and could change significantly under unforeseen circumstances – the world of 2100 will look very different than the world of today, with implications for everyone. It will be a place where today's dominant, developed economies are increasingly focused on supporting the elderly, where the least developed countries are transformed by population booms and where Africa, for better or worse, is more important than ever.

Here is the story of the next 90 years as predicted by UN demographic data and explained in nine charts. The charts are interactive; move your cursor over them to track and compare the data.

(1) The big story will be Africa

Right now, with a couple of exceptions, Africa's population density is relatively low; it's a very big continent more sparsely populated than, say, Europe or East Asia. That's changing very quickly. The continent's overall population is expected to more than quadruple over just 90 years, an astonishingly rapid growth that will make Africa more important than ever. And it's not just that there will four times the workforce, four times the resource burden, four times as many voters. The rapid growth itself will likely transform political and social dynamics within African countries and thus their relationship with the rest of the world. (More on this further down.)

Asia will continue to grow but its population growth, already slowing, is expected to peak about 50 years from now then start declining. As has happened in the West, rising economies will lead to declining birth rates. And that downturned curve could represent some problematic demographic issues; more also on this further down.

The story in those three little lines at the bottom is less promising. Europe will continue to shrink, which is worsening its economic problems. South America's population will rise until about 2050, at which point it will begin its own gradual population decline. North America is the least ambiguous success story: it will continue to grow at a slow, sustainable rate, surpassing South America's overall population around 2070.

(2) China shrinks, India plateaus; Nigeria is a very big deal

This chart shows the futures of what are, today, the world's five most populous nations. The two big stories here are China and [size=16pt]Nigeria, the latter of which will have almost a billion people by 2100 and will be within range of surpassing China in population. Given that Nigeria is about the area of Texas, that's a truly astounding possibility.[/size]

Nigeria, currently Africa's most populous country, is poised for one of the world's most rapid population booms ever. In just 100 years, maybe two or three generations, the population is expected to increase by a mind-boggling factor of [size=16pt]eight.[/size] The country is already troubled by corruption, poverty and religious conflict. It's difficult to imagine how a government that can barely serve its population right now will respond when the demand on resources, social services, schools and roads increases by a factor of eight. Still, if they pull it off – the country's vast oil reserves could certainly help – the rapidly growing workforce could theoretically deliver an African miracle akin to, say, China's.

Chinese leaders know their demographic crisis is coming. It's not a mystery: the country's massive working-age population is only allowed to have one child per couple, which means that when the current generation retires, there will be a rapidly growing pool of retirees just as the workforce starts to shrink. Those aging retirees will be an enormous burden on the Chinese economy, which is just beginning to slow down. As China ages and shrinks, its workforce will get smaller at precisely the moment that it needs them most. Make no mistake, China will continue to be an enormous, important and most likely very successful country, but its demographics are going to quickly shift from a big help to a major hindrance. Keep this in mind the next time someone tells you that China is about to take over the world.

As for the other three: India's rapidly growing population, which the country has somewhat harnessed but in many ways failed to serve, will finally plateau around 2065. Indonesia will grow moderately. The United States will grow as well, a bit more quickly than Indonesia but not a boom like India's. Again, that's good news for the U.S.

Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by dickswall: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2016
the population is quite low and i think that it has increased in these years regards china facts for facts about china and other countries, learn more facts and get more information
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 4:30am On Oct 02, 2016
drss:
a particular place in d zoo marry an average of 4 to 6 wives in one swoop n breed 30 children, but adds nothing to d federation account. their children ar litered all over d place.
there's an organism dat shares d same pattern; Parasites. they consume everyting, breed n multiply in multitudes but produce nothing positive except sickness. they ar disease.

Goodness! why hasn't Seun added a dislike button yet?
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 4:47am On Oct 02, 2016
fulanimafia:
No. This is another fake census report by the northern controlled National Population Commission.

The truth is like a goldfish, it cannot be hidden forever.

and how exactly do you know that? Where you even born back then?
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by mantre: 4:57am On Oct 02, 2016
Nigeria did exist as this map.

You see government is been diplomatic. When a government hear it's people throwing bomb. You have to be smart as a good leader.

Goodluck Jonathan is not a good leader.

I am a smart person, I have save all their life's.
The bomb and fighting will have increase if I did not do what I did. I have no regret.

Leadership is about been smart.

After Buhari show them 2 flag, do you hear bomb again. No. We would have lost 1 million life already. If I was not smart online. Goodluck. Jonathan is an asshole.

Tinubu is an asshole too. Tinubu stupidity make the bomb happen

Nigeria has law which only tribal people can contest in a state. Tinubu because he is a fraudster he and his friends were telling lies

The people are young and you have to know how to deal with young people. Jonathan did not have good leadership skills. He was ethnic bias and racist.

In 1920 Nigeria is 1 country. Western Nigeria part is the royal part. Nigeria was like Britain .

2 army in the 50s.

That why All the prince in western Nigeria are in the military . Like Britain . we go to military school like this one in the north.

The hausa, fulani kanuri are from Chad ,Niger republic

The bomb stop Because of what I did . The reason we have the palace is so the the prince can join the military. Because the military does not pay well.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by mantre: 5:04am On Oct 02, 2016
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 5:45am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
I think those terms refer to a lot more territory than what they mean today e.g Colony does not mean Lagos State as we know it now and I am sure "Kano" does not mean what we understand it to mean today we need to match those terms to a contemporaneous map

Anyway we must not fall victim to the mindset "It is in a book it must be true"

Thinking involves asking questions
Who wrote this book when and why with what authority?
What are these figures based on? A census? When did that census happen? Was it accepted etc. We must learn to ask questions and not believe anything we hear or read

It was most likely published by the colonial administration of Nigeria and the figures were based on the census that were conducted and by the looks of it, the figures were accepted and therefore published hence why we are reading it from a book. I used to come across such books like this in my former school: old colonial administrative books.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 6:02am On Oct 02, 2016
meezynetwork:
From the document it shows igbo land has always been populous if owerri and onitsha province could account for about 3.5m of 8m southern population which is about half of the total population. And also the Yorubas has major towns and live in clusters while the Igbos live sparsely. I don't know why ogoja has been neglected so badly like this. This has been a prominent name right from ages. Visited ogoja this year on my way to obudu and it's still the same little and low life town it has always been. It's time for ogoja state to be created. All other names are big towns now expect ogoja.

Well they can do it as long as they can generate there own revenue without federal govt allocation. Majority of states in Nigeria should not even exist because they can't even generate there own revenue.

1 Like

Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 6:09am On Oct 02, 2016
Yujin:
With regards to the issue of population, Igbo has always been dominant in the whole ofo southern Nigeria. An average Yoruba may never agree to this because what he sees around him paints a picture of them being very populous. How do I mean? They have always been psuedo urban dwellers. Having big towns with huge populations concentrated in those areas does not equate to having a bigger population. Then when you come to Igboland, you have an unusually high population density spread over a majority of the land. This tells a great deal of story on the Igbo population but given a smaller land area brings another twist to it. How do we solve this twist? Going back to earlier history when little politics was involved in affairs of the colonialists i.e before the 60's, available records have always given Igbo a higher population. The british have always made remarks about population when discussing Ndigbo and for the Yorubas, they always talk about the urban settlements of the Yorubas.

Did you not read the document? It shows that the North was the most populous place in Nigeria.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by omonnakoda: 7:29am On Oct 02, 2016
davidif:

It was most likely published by the colonial administration of Nigeria and the figures were based on the census that were conducted and by the looks of it, the figures were accepted and therefore published hence why we are reading it from a book. I used to come across such books like this in my former school: old colonial administrative books.
This is all speculation . You have not said anything new or provided new facts .So what if you came across books? I must believe the contents without question? Which census EXACTLY are you talking about? What year?
You say by the "looks of it" accepted . Accepted by whom?? It may look that way to you but it does not to me. There is a lot that we read in books that are false so your logic is totally warped. Many colonial era books are full of falsehood I have read many so I am not one of those who believe things simply because they are in books. I do my own thinking and ask questions before forming an opinion
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 7:41am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
This is all speculation . You have not said anything new or provided new facts .So what if you came across books? I must believe the contents without question? Which census EXACTLY are you talking about? What year?
You say by the "looks of it" accepted . Accepted by whom?? It may look that way to you but it does not to me. There is a lot that we read in books that are false so your logic is totally warped. Many colonial era books are full of falsehood I have read many so I am not one of those who believe things simply because they are in books. I do my own thinking and ask questions before forming an opinion

Like which ones? Please name some of them.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by omonnakoda: 7:43am On Oct 02, 2016
davidif:

Like which ones? Please name some of them.
Go and play I am not interested
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 7:43am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:

Wow! look what we have here, a real life cynic.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 7:46am On Oct 02, 2016
omonnakoda:
Go and play I am not interested

haha, i thought you said you had facts. I am waiting now. Please tell me those "many" colonial era books that are full of falsehood. Give me at least 10 of them.
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by davidif: 3:28am On Jul 14, 2017
fulanimafia:
No. This is another fake census report by the northern controlled National Population Commission.

The truth is like a goldfish, it cannot be hidden forever.

Have you lived in the North before?
Re: Document Showing The Population Of Nigeria In 1920 by ChiefSosa(m): 5:22am On Apr 23, 2021
theSpark:
Between 1920 and 2006 the population jumped from 18m to about 150m. Nigerians reproduce well. By 2020 we go dey 200 million.

You called it!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amen Amarachi Okorocha Graduates From American University With Double Honors / Ize-Iyamu Commissions Borehole In Uromi, Edo (Photos) / Airforce Jets In Baga Destroy Boko Haram Elements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.