Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package (26827 Views)

Anti-corruption War Is Non-negotiable, Buhari Replies Jonathan’s Ministers / Jonathan’s Ministers, Aides Share 500 FG Houses / Jonathan Ministers Sold One Million Barrels Of Oil Per Day- Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by dre11(m): 6:09am On Jan 02, 2016
No fewer than 14 ministers in the Goodluck Jonathan Administration will not receive any severance package from the Muhammadu Buhari government having allegedly failed to meet the requirement for benefitting from such.

It is also gathered that most of the new 36 ministers inherited decrepit offices, making it difficult for them to settle down for work.
The ex-ministers that may forfeit their severance package are said to have spent less than two years in office to qualify for the package.

Investigation revealed that the Buhari administration has stuck to the implementation of the terms of appointment of the over 14 former ministers.

A clause in their appointment letters reads in part: “Severance Allowance of 300 %of Annual Basic Salary payable after full tenure of office with government. The allowance will be pro-rated after a minimum of two years tenure.”
It was learnt that some of the affected ex-ministers barely spent a year or three months in office.

In this category are Senator Musiliu Obanikoro (Lagos)-Minister of State for Foreign Affairs II; Mr Kenneth Kobani (Rivers)-Minister of State for Trade and Investment; Patricia Akwashiki (Nasarawa)-Minister of Information; Nicholas Akise Ada (Benue)- Minister of State for Foreign Affairs I; Augustine Akobundu (Abia)- Minister of State for Defence; Fidelis Nwankwo (Ebonyi)-Minister of State for Health; Hauwa Lawan (Jigawa)-Minister of State for Niger Delta Affairs and
Senator Joel Danlami Ikenya (Taraba)-Minister of Labour and Productivity.

Others are Mr Benjamin Osita Chidoka (Aviation); ex-Governor Ibrahim Shekarau (Minister of Education); Steve Oru (Minister for the Niger Delta); Prince Clement Adeyeye (Minister of State for Works); and Abdul Bulama (Minister of Science and Technology) and Dr. Abubakar Olanrewaju Suleiman(National Planning).

A source said: “The affected ex-ministers have been notified that they are not entitled to severance package in whatever form.
“They have not met the official requirements for severance package and they won’t get it.

“I think those affected should be up to 20. So far, more than half of those in Jonathan’s cabinet will not get severance package.
“If they had been paid in error, we would have asked them to refund the severance allowance.”

Sources also said yesterday that some of the new 36 ministers inherited decrepit portfolios.
The situation varies from ministry to ministry.

In some ministries,ministers met no official vehicles, while in others, the treasuries were practically empty with no imprest to meet basic needs.
It was gathered that many of the ministers are finding it difficult to operate because their predecessors stripped the ministries of basic tools to work with.

Investigation revealed that some ministers have no official vehicles because their predecessors sold same to themselves in line with what they called “monetization” policy.
Others appropriated government vehicles since their severance package was not paid.

A highly-placed source said: “There is a case of a female minister who is using her personal SUV as official vehicle. Also, she has provided the pilot vehicles too in her convoy.
“Another minister went to the National Assembly to clarify some issues and what was left as official vehicle in bad shape broke down.

“We have the case of another minister who went away with 10 vehicles of his ministry and parastatals. The ministry had to write him to return some of the vehicles when the minister was adamant.

“There is no minister without one story or the other to tell. All of them have no imprest to meet basic needs in their ministries. Most ex-ministers left nothing in the treasuries.”

The spokesman for the Jonathan cabinet, ex-Minister of National Planning, Dr. Abubakar Olanrewaju Suleiman, said: “To the best of my knowledge, most ministers returned their official vehicles. The necessary handover procedures were fully complied with.

“If there is any issue in a ministry, you can bring it up and we will crosscheck the facts for you.
“It is also true that some of the former ministers will not get severance package because they did not stay in office for two years.

“And as for those entitled to severance package, not all of them have been paid. This is to show you that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan did not abuse the privilege of office. Unlike previous administrations, Jonathan did not give his ministers any exit bonanza or package.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/obanikoro-shekarau-other-jonathans-ministers-lose-severance-package/

lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Masculity(m): 6:11am On Jan 02, 2016
Is okay.

Let me quickly come modify cux of *winch hunting*

some may not like it of me being here on top of them.

This land now belongs to people of my village.

The true definition of FTC.

2016 will be a year of success to all nairalanders. Old graduate, fresh graduate, ex-corpers, corpers, students, etc.

On the threat, before some accuse me of derail. My second in command, the dude under me is my infor minister Therefore believe him, biko.

Stay bless

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by modath(f): 6:13am On Jan 02, 2016
*modified*

I hope the few people from that other side will not invoke cry of marginalization & witch hunting...

Abeg make una look well ooo, na national spread oo.

“We have the case of another minister who went away with 10 vehicles of his ministry and parastatals. The ministry had to write him to return some of the vehicles when the minister was adamant.

Let's know the name of this minister abeg..

If some folks are being dealt with now, some crazies will start crying "rule of law"!!!

34 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by LordVarys: 6:15am On Jan 02, 2016
How is this news? It's pretty straightforward, they didn't serve up to 2 years so they didn't get the severance package so why is The Nation making it look like they committed some crime?
Rubbish

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:19am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

But Obanikoro previously was a minister before quitting to contest for Lagos ' top Job ?
Unfortunately, that doesn't count. There is no 'cut and join' angry

@Topic: I wish the law can be amended to reduce the severance package to 100% of annual salary instead of 300%. Also, minimum length of stay in office should be 3years instead of two.

As for affected ex-ministers, I wish them well

20 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by carinmom(f): 6:22am On Jan 02, 2016
What do they even expect Less than two years in office and they are expecting to be paid 300% of which salary

Even the package of those that are entitled should be reduced to 100% only.

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Owoplenty(m): 6:23am On Jan 02, 2016
PDP govt deserve no benefits, in fact they should be stripe of any national honour

28 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by carinmom(f): 6:24am On Jan 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

@Topic: I wish the law can be amended to reduce the severance package to 100% of annual salary instead of 300%. Also, minimum length of stay in office should be 3years instead of two.

Gbam! You've said it all.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by OlujobaSamuel: 6:27am On Jan 02, 2016
make this ex planning minister tell us who went away with our vehicles joor, why saying almost since he knows them.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Toktee(m): 6:32am On Jan 02, 2016
That is how jonadullard alias phd holder was wasting our money,sharing it like otueke kaikai,may God punish pdp and her members that put Nigeria in this condition.
Meanwhile,IN THIS YEAR 2016,ANYBODY THAT CAN SAY I WILL NOT ENJOY NAIRALAND,HOLY GHOST FIRE,ANY MOD THAT BAN ME WITH FLIMSY XCUSE, ******* *****,ANY MEMBER THAT INSULT ME FOR QUOTING HIM OR HER, **** ***** ****,AND ANYONE THAT CROSS MY PATH TO DEMAND FOR RESPECT, ******* **** HIM/HER.

RESPECT IS EARNED,DON'T COERCE SOMEONE TO RESPECT YOU.
NAIRALAND RULE 20 SHOULD BE LOOK INTO COS IS AN ANTY PEOPLE RULE.

HAPPY NEW YEAR SEUN.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by modath(f): 6:36am On Jan 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I concur, cos we know some parties can decide to change ministers willy nilly in order to spread the national cake wella...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Karlovich: 6:37am On Jan 02, 2016
Wonderful
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Pavore9: 6:45am On Jan 02, 2016
The minimum length of stay in office should be 3years and 25% of annual salary as severance package because these ministers do enjoy lots of privileges while in office!

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:47am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

I concur, cos we know some parties can decide to change ministers willy nilly in order to spread the national cake wella...

Still on Obanikoro, the years he spent before embarking on his exercise in futility nko? I'm sure he got paid for that terms, it is the attempt at doing a double delight that will hit the bar.
Who dash Koro three years? Erelu Obada(Osun) was Minister of state for Defence between 2011 and September 2013 after she was fired by GEJ. Koro became Defence Minister(state) in 2014. angry

@Emboldened: That is the crux of the matter.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:54am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

But Obanikoro previously was a minister before quitting to contest for Lagos ' top Job ?

I'm sure he got paid for his 1st stint, it is the ekitigate compensation appointment that has hit the bar..

Let's know the name of this minister abeg..

If some folks are being dealt with now, some crazies will start crying "rule of law"!!!
The question is, did he spend upto two years in his first time as a minister?
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by modath(f): 6:57am On Jan 02, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Who dash Koro three years? Erelu Obada(Osun) was Minister of state for Defence between 2011 and September 2013 after she was fired by GEJ. Koro became Defence Minister(state) in 2014. angry

@Emboldened: That is the crux of the matter.

No mind me jare!! Ekitigate made me forget the Erelu witch was previously there...

Do you know why she was fired? Same reason as Segun Oni, Oyinlola & Oladipo were hounded out of PDP!! They are strong allies of OBJ... the others successfully defected but Erelu couldn't cos of her antecedents...

Maybe she has now, politicians nor get shame! Anywhere belle face!!

@orlandoowoh .. I stand corrected, Tonye called my attention to Erelu, I totally forgot about her, Ekitigate made Koro seem like he had been there all the while...

He was ambassador to Ghana & had to come home to position for lagos guber that eventually crashed & burnt!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:01am On Jan 02, 2016
300%? Why should their severance packages be more than what the got when they were still ministers? Or is it that the packages are for a stipulated period, not for life?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:03am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

No mind me jare!! Ekitigate made me forget the Erelu witch was previously there...

Do you know why she was fired? Same reason as Segun Oni, Oyinlola & Oladipo were hounded out of PDP!! They are strong allies of OBJ... the others successfully defected but Erelu couldn't cos of her antecedents...

@orlandoowoh .. I stand corrected, Tonye called my attention to Erelu, I totally forgot about her, Ekitigate made Koro seem like he had been there all the while...

He was ambassador to Ghana & had to come home to position for lagos guber that eventually crashed & burnt!!!
Ok. But modify it in order not to be "corrected" again.
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

To me I think the issue of Oni and Oyinlola wasn't properly managed by the past administration of GEJ, though I don't like both men. Erelu Obada was actually a wasted of space(like her other colleagues). GEJ wanted to consolidate his hold in power without OBJ but he still assembled the wrong people around him and created more foes.

Perhaps, the reason behind her stay in PDP could be due to the prospect in being appointed if GEJ hadn't lost.
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by modath(f): 7:12am On Jan 02, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Ok. But modify it in order not to be "corrected" again.

Done, thx. ... Happy new prosperous, productive, & peaceful 2016... wink

TonyeBarcanista:

To me I think the issue of Oni and Oyinlola wasn't properly managed by the past administration of GEJ, though I don't like both men. Erelu Obada was actually a wasted of space(like her other colleagues). GEJ wanted to consolidate his hold in power without OBJ but he still assembled the wrong people around him and created more foes.
Perhaps, the reason behind her stay in PDP could be due to the prospect in being appointed if GEJ hadn't lost.

That your kinsman is clueless for real, he has zero skills in reading political "body language", OBJ would never have let nPDP see the light of day & those govs would have been appeased till after elections, then have their asses handed to them...he let serubawon go in Osun & he believed he could have any inroad!! cheesy cheesy

As for that Erelu woman, she is a samboribobo 2.0 with an abrasive nature (gist) ..The woman totally burnt all her Ijesa political bridges.... She was rude to a 1st class king to boot..

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by egift(m): 7:13am On Jan 02, 2016
Sanity is gradually returning to governance and someone is still asking where is the change. The foundation Buhari is laying will be strong enough to sustain Nigeria beyond his time.

I still remember Jesus wise saying about build on poor foundation and slippery sandy ground.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by omenka(m): 7:17am On Jan 02, 2016
Hope they get to lose their freedom through a court judgement in addition to that.

Criminals everywhere.

Baba should expedite actions on reforming the terms of service/engagement of political office holders. The "filters" we have at the moment can hardly give us the "finest particles" in the grain.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Lordave: 7:17am On Jan 02, 2016
This is apt!

Nobody is marginalizing anybody.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Lordave: 7:19am On Jan 02, 2016
egift:
Sanity is gradually returning to governance and someone is still asking where is the change. The foundation Buhari is laying will be strong enough to sustain Nigeria beyond his time.

I still remember Jesus wise saying about build on poor foundation and slippery sandy ground.
Is this what you call change?
If you sweep your house you go praise yourself.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:20am On Jan 02, 2016
modath:

Done, thx. ... Happy new prosperous, productive, & peaceful 2016...
Amin o.
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by miqos02(m): 7:56am On Jan 02, 2016
ok
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by looseweight: 7:56am On Jan 02, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by EagleScribes: 7:57am On Jan 02, 2016
After eating large chunks of the national cake, they still want a severance package? And the same country has little to show for it? And some folks are planning to reduce the 18k minimum wage?

*in warri man voice* God go judge all of una

I Hope they won't lose their jail terms if found guilty of corruption charges

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Zaikon(m): 7:57am On Jan 02, 2016
for those guys again?
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by Demmocrats(m): 7:57am On Jan 02, 2016
No fewer than 14 ministers in the Goodluck Jonathan Administration [/b]will not receive any severance package from the Muhammadu Buhari government having allegedly [b]failed to meet the requirement for benefitting from such.

For all the wailers that will come and start wailing that my Sai Buhari is doing it on purpose, those ex-ministers are not qualified for such.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by deeswagger: 7:59am On Jan 02, 2016
Lol...
Bami like, e Dari ji won ke...
Re: Jonathan’s Ministers Lose Severance Package by cruzita(f): 8:00am On Jan 02, 2016
undecided when I saw the topic I thought they commited something .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari And Toyin At The Commissioning Of Tomato Factory In Lagos (Photos) / 10 Popular Quotes Of Yemi Osinbajo, The Vice President / Musa Wada Visits Acheju Abu's Family, Signs Condolence Register

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.