Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,978 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) (7363 Views)

UNILAG Best Debaters Get Cash, Laptops As Prizes (Photos) / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Best Debaters' Essays / Nairaland Interschool Debate Quarter Finals Best Debaters Essay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by luxanne(f): 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2016
Good evening and welcome to 2016 smiley

As the topic of the thread indicates, this is to recognize the debaters from the best of the best of NISD 3rd edition, first stage, who had the highest personal scores for their essays.

From the fourth position, the list is going to be done in a descending order and most importantly, according to the scores collated by their officiating Judges.

So here goes,

Taking the fourth spot, we had a tie from Lagos State University - Eduntee and the University of Lagos - LARRYDKING with a total score of 37 each.

You both did beautifully well Sirs, and your efforts, well appreciated, Congratulations! smiley

And taking the third spot with a total score of 37.5, we have Sammyscholar from Ibadan Polythenic.

Congratulations Sir smiley

And now unto the second spot, who's got this?

Join me, as I also make welcome, from Obafemi Awolowo University - OAUTemitayo having a total score of 39 and oh yes, we also got a tie right here, joining OAUTemitayo for the second spot is Menzo4u from Yaba College of Technology also having a total score of 39.

Congratulations Sirs. smiley

And now to the last man standing for the first spot,

and with a total score of 42.5, a 3.5 variance from the second position, we have,

The school with the slogan - “naturally ahead of you”.

But hmm, does this mean that there is truth in this slogan of theirs? Apparently, the results speaks...

So join me as I present to you, from Ahmadu Bello University, our very own,

ABUKLAW

A Hearty Congratulation Sir smiley

With that out of the way, the next post you will be reading are the essays of these outstanding debaters posted for your delectation, enjoy! wink

Cc: Fynestboi

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 9:46pm On Jan 02, 2016
Thanks ma..

FOURTH SPOT

1 Like

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 9:52pm On Jan 02, 2016
TOPIC: EDUCATION IS A PRIVILEGE

LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY..

Eduntee:
Debate, the art of reasonable discussion of controversial topics, will help us all become morally aware and will enhance our ability to think critically. We take the perspective of others, and make thoughtful moral decisions for ourselves. We may often disagree—but we learn to do so respectfully and civilly.. Good day moderators, distinguish adjudicators, co debaters and amiable Nairalanders. I am Eduntee representing the prestigious Lagos State University and am here to vehemently oppose the notion which says that “Education is a right not a privilege.
I shall be addressing this house by giving a definition of Education, Right and Privilege after which I would be supporting my claims that Education is a privilege and not a right as well as opposing the opponents claim on different grounds.
What is a right? A right has been defined as that which is proper under the law, morality or ethics. Hence they are inherent and cannot be taken away from a person. However the problem associated thereto Right is that they are usually either enforceable or un-enforceable and also subjected to jurisdictional issue because what is attainable as a right in a particular place might not necessarily be a right elsewhere while a privilege are those special legal right, exemption or immunity granted to a person or group of person. A privilege grants someone the legal freedom to do and not to do a given Act. Education simply put, is the process of teaching, training, learning especially in school or college to improve knowledge and develop skills.
In line with the above it is therefore safe to define Educational privilege to mean those benefit, exemption or immunity granted to a person or class of persons who has showed interest in the process of learning. This brings me back to the notion which warrants me to ask; is education a right or has education ever been a right? In other to answer the questions above, I will plead to use Nigeria as a case study, so let’s take a trip back to the history of Education in Nigeria.
The entrance of the Europeans into Nigeria brought along European western Education in the 1840s. In the western part of the country western education was encouraged by the Missionaries. The Northern part of Nigeria, majorly populated by Muslims, western education was prohibited giving way to Islamic school that focused primarily on Islamic education. Prior to Nigeria’s Independence, only two Established Post Secondary Institutions were available, Yaba Higher College (Now Yaba College of Technology founded in 1934) and the University of Ibadan, founded in 1948. Post Independence brought about the major development of education in Nigeria, with increase in the number of primary, secondary schools, teachers college and Polytechnics and Universities. Flowing from this, it is a notorious fact that Education in Nigeria is as a result of the adventures of the colonial masters to our part of the world and as such Education is, was and is still a privilege of such colonial visit to Africa. Globally Education is a privilege that accompanied civilization and that is why the very yardstick for measuring civilization in any part of the world is Education, then are we going to say; those part of the world that lacks Education have been deprived of their rights? Emphatically No they are yet to get such opportunities
More so it is painful, odd and self deceptive if at this stage of increasing tuition fee, cost of reading and instructional materials someone will still stand to say “Education is a right”. I beg to ask my fellow talk mate this question why do still have to pay school fees when this so called education is your Right. It makes me wonder why rights need be paid for. In the words of George Carlin; Rights aren’t rights if someone can take them away, as a matter of fact they are only privileges. As much as we have rights, they are inherent acquisitions of which enjoyments cannot be exhausted. All over the world, educational structures have been put in place in varying size and qualities but yet one thing makes them unique and that is the fact that whatever services you get from the school is a product of your tuition fees. The moment you stop paying, your rights to those benefits are withdrawn (Now, are you thinking what I am thinking?) and then do we call that a right? Right are never to be paid for.
Even though my colleagues on the other side might want to argue that there are certain institutions of learning that have been put in place by government to ensure the enforcement of this supposed right but if we are to call a spade a spade then my colleagues would agree with me that no such as free education exists, it’s just a form of education in a subsidized rate. This I found out after random interactions with both current and past students of these institutions.
Furthermore, Quid sit jus, et in quo consistit injuria, legis est definire. What constitutes right, and what injury, it is the business of the law to define. The implication of this is such that, if education is a right its a claim arising from ignorance because if this government takes away this right as calmed, they are as a matter of fact non-justifiable because section 6(6c) oust the jurisdiction of court from sitting on the issues that fall under chapter 2 of the constitution and matters in this section are not justifiable as the court in the case of Okogie v A.G Lagos State held. Now it is crystal clear that the education provided for are simply the special privilege that is enjoyed by student who has shown interest in it. The implication of this is that, until such laws are enacted to make Educational rights enforceable then education remains a privilege and never a right. And as we all know, the law gives a right and where the law gives a right, its gives a remedy to recover (L’ou le ley done chose, la ceo done remedie a vener a ceo) this has been affirmed by the Supreme court in the case of Aoko v Fagbemi.
Awhile back I watched a TV program that compared high school students in the United States to high school students in India.. While many American high school students sleep in, Indian high school students attend four-hour-long mathematics tutoring sessions starting at 7:30 am. On what was supposed to be a typical Saturday morning, I watched as a high school boy got up late and hung out, while a young Indian girl sat in a study group to prepare her for advanced mathematics. If she doesn’t pass the test, she wouldn’t be able to move the next level. My impression was that her future is hung in balance. At least that was how her face looked. The American kid was laughing and sitting in his room. That is exactly what happens when Education is seen as a right rather than a privilege. It’s become prone to abuses because the purpose is unknown just like the American kid who saw education as his right‘ If It is my right then I can so do whatever I like with it, if only’ such kids know how many kids are outside their wanting such opportunity. Until Education is seen as a privilege then it will remain a blunt tool that can never change a country not to talk of the world as Nelson Mandela of South Africa has proposed.
Access to education is not a privilege, it’s a right. And yet, 61 million children are not in school, Are these ones without such rights? A Privilege is when a child goes to school, sit in a classroom among peers of the same age and have someone instruct them. Do you know why? Many are out there seeking the opportunities to do so. I would have in my own discretion give a standing ovation to my opponent if they had argued that “EDUCATION IS RIGHT” and not “EDUCATION IS A RIGHT

reference
Black law dictionary 9th edition
Oxford advance learner dictionary
www.the law dictionary,org
www.collegetermpappers.com/viewpaper/1303959893
http://chalcedon.edu/research/articles/learning-is-a-privillege-not a right.
www.researchassistance.com/essays/higher-education-is–a-privillege.
www.studentloansherap.com/higher-education-privilege.
1999 constitution of the federal republic of nigeria as amended.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 9:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
Media: A Panacea For Global Terrorism

UNILAG
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403622_unilag_png100d6d16185642e2bcf9081b8ebcf420

LARRYDKING:
Media: A Panacea For Global Terrorism (supporting)

Good afternoon esteemed judges, distinguish coordinators, erudite co-debaters and intelligent observers. Larrydking is my name, the second debater of the university of Lagos, Nigeria and I am in support of the motion that the media is panacea for global terrorism.

To start with, it's important to familiarize ourselves with the world terrorism. Oxford advanced learner's dictionary defined terrorism to be the use of violence action in order to achieve political aims or to force government to action. Therefore, it is not out of order to explain global terrorism as 'terrorism ' as it affects the world. The same dictionary gives the meaning of media to be the ''main way'' that large number of people receive information and entertainment.

Pakistan minister of information and broadcasting, Qamar Zaman Kaira once said " the monster of terrorism cannot be wiped out from the soil of Pakistan without eliminating ignorance and changing the mindset of these people'' .Undoubtedly, the greatest amory of human weapon to battle utter ignorance and shred knowledge, both of which are key players in global terrorism is embedded in adequate and timely information. Global terrorism sprung and spread ultimately due to misinformation, misguide and wrong teaching by political warlords, religious extremist, etc who may have felt offended by government decision or indicision and as a result took terror as a means of seeking redress.

If misinformation lead into this mess called global terrorism, the most effective means to combat it thus become orientation and re-information. For umpteen times, the media has preached to the world about the danger masked in terrorism. Local and international television stations, magazines, newspapers, the internet to mention but a few have all played leading roles in advising the world on the danger hidden in terrorism. Public prosecutions and video coverages of shameful ends of terrorists across the world helps in reducing the urge for recruitment and give existing members an overview of its repercussions if eventually clasped in the act. The brutal end of Osama bin Laden, a world renowned terrorist known as one of the masterminds who wrecked havoc on the world trading centre in the US will forever remain a deterrent to whoever shares an iota of Osama's belief and wishes to take after him.

The media, in curtailing the menace of global terrorism has contributed immensely to swift circulation and awareness of security information and threat respectively. It has also fed security agencies timely information and ideas obtained from members of the public or during journalism. Severally, the media has proven to be a panacea to global terrorism through the promulgation of pictures and videos of known terrorist across the world, thus restricting their freedom and eventually leading to their final apprehension. When the head is in disorder, by default, the entire body system malfunctions. In the same vein, when the leader of a dreadful group goes underground, the flow of intelligence among members minimizes. France notorious terrorist, Salah Abdesalam, the one who masterminded the Paris attack in his country was declared wanted through the media, he was later apprehended some days after the promulgation. Similarly, in Nigeria, a hundred boko haram kingpin were declared wanted through the media, in few days, it was reported that three of them were already behind bars. It wasn't rocket science, the media only proved it worth as a solution to global terrorism.

Oxford advanced learner's dictionary explained education to be fact, skills and ideas that have been learnt formally or informally. The adverse role lack of education plays in global terrorism cannot be overemphasised. That explains why terrorist attacks are enormous and wax stronger in education less develop countries like Somalia, Northern Nigeria, Afghanistan and so on where they suffer at large from Al Shabab, Boko Haram and Taliban respectively. Rakashada Mehmood explained terrorism to be the worse form of illiteracy when people do not have to realise the importance of innocent lives that are lost in attacks. Apparently, the media which has been the apex source of information serves as a great source of knowledge across all spheres of life accessible by all and sundry, thereby educating everyone willing to access it. This has further shown that education doesn't end only at enrolling for a programme for the purpose of obtaining a degree but takes a large work into human psychology by mere reading of articles and pdf file.

My opponents may likely want to argue that the media has long existed and it ought to have curbed global terrorism, well, it's imperative to note that developed countries where media is at its highest efficiency such as America, Russia and co have reduced terrorism to its minimum across their boarders and have even taken it upon themselves to help other 'media developing countries' with low media appreciation. In the same vein, Somalia, Afghanistan and other countries affected may have to continue battling series of attacks until their govenment recognise and exploit the full potentials of the media as the panacea for global terrorism.

Observers, having said these, I'm confident that you are also supporters of the motion that media is a panacea for global terrorism.

Honourable judges and observers, I am of the belief that having said these, you will agree with me that the media is a panacea for global terrorism. Thank you.

REFERENCES

http://­www.oxforddictionarie­s.com/definition/­­learner/terrorism

http://­www.oxfordlearnersdic­tionaries.com/­­definition/english/­­media

http://­www.pakistantoday.com­.pk/2011/09/10/­­comment/­editors-mail/­­illiteracy-and-terro­r­ism/

http://­www.independent.co.uk­/news/world/europe/­­salah-abdeslam-11-th­i­ngs-we-know-about-­th­e-isis-paris-atta­cks­-fugitive-a67447­76.h­tml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/paris-terrorist-salah-abdeslam-worlds-most-wanted-man-arrested-report_1822583.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2016
THIRD SPOT..

sammyscholar:
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:02pm On Jan 02, 2016
GENIUS ARE NOT BORN, BUT MADE

sammyscholar:
Topic: GENIUSES ARE BORN, NOT MADE!

School: The Polytechnic, Ibadan

Stance: Against

"Born genius vs. made genius" is a controversial phenomenon that, even, scholars from related fields are finding hard to reach a common ground on. The 'born genius' protagonists have always said that genius is a product of raw talent and intelligence culminated from birth or heredity. In lending credence to their claims, they are always swift to citing child prodigies like Leonardo da Vinci, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Michael Jordan et al; who at tender ages, began to exhibit exemplary traits.

Conversely, the 'made genius' advocates, on their own spectrum of the line, believe every man is born with innate talent, ingenuity, and with matching brain capacities. They posit that genius is what the 'carrier' made of his creator's given talent, intellectuals, skills and ingenuity. They believe every man (able or disable) is endowed with innate talent and giving such ability/talent a right platform to nurture, and a stimulating and supportive environment to grow, is what produces genius.

Hence, is genius actually culminated from birth? Or, at the opposite, made? Well, without mincing words, I make bold to say; geniuses are not born, but made!

DEFINITION OF KEY TERMS

GENIUS, according to a repute professor of psychology - Keith Simonton, "is a person who have the intelligence, enthusiasm, and endurance to acquire the needed expertise in a broadly valued domain of achievement and who then make contributions to that field that are considered by peers to be both original and highly exemplary."

CHILD PRODIGY, according to wikipedia; "is a person under the age of ten who produces meaningful output in some domain to the level of an adult expert performer."

"Genius is one percent inspiration; ninety-nine percent perspiration" says Thomas Alva Edison.

It is, rather, bewildering that most of the celebrated geniuses that many have taken to be super humans, created with some sort of peculiarities have attested, themselves, to the fact that 'perspiration' is the potent behind their ground breaking successes. When pressed, they have always said their successes are final products of many inputs; which include: inspiration, perspiration, hard work, commitment, vision, determination, imagination, and other virtues. One then begins to wonder why the notion; “geniuses are born,” has hitherto, persisted.

Little wonder Albert Einstein was quick to assert that; "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." That is, many have what it takes to become genius; but when told, they disbelieve. They believe ingenuity is restricted and limited to some set of persons, and thus, genius can only be attained by certain few.

Basically, every man has something in him that if discovered and well harnessed would lunch him into the society of geniuses. There is always an area of life that every man is gifted. Even the biggest dunce in one field has a specific area where he is talented and if he could discover his talent and put it to good use; only sky would be his limit.

Scott Barry Kaufman, an American pathologist, once averred; “Genius involves figuring out who you are, and owning yourself." Genius simply means discovering yourself and building on that thing that you found to be your strength.

Truly, traits are transferable from parent to child. And there is also the possibility that a child of intelligent parent would take after them; but there is no guarantee to that! Although, some children are quick to demonstrate high-level intellectual trait right at tender age, but they likely would become nothing if those trait are not well exploited, leveraged and put to good use (which is the making process).

'Make', according to wikipedia; "is to form (something) by putting parts together or combining substances; create." Therefore, it is safe to say that genius is the final product of combination of many parts, which includes: talent discovery, courage, vision, passion, insight, reasoning, practice, hard work, determination, perspiration, imagination, perseverance, et al.

startlingly, some, many a times, tend to take the fact that only few persons have attained the height of geniuses in the history of man to mean it is a special and super magical trait ascribe to few persons. "Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered - either by themselves or by others," Says Mark Twain. Just as not everybody would live to become rich; many also would not live to become genius, even when they have the endowment; because not all would be willing to do and give what it takes.

While delving into Albert Einstein’s anatomy, Dean Falk of Florida State University was quoted to have said; "both nature and nurture were probably involved in Einstein's success, pointing out that his parents were "very nurturing" and encouraged him to be independent and creative, not only in science but also in music, paying for piano and violin lessons." "Einstein programmed his own brain.” “When the field of physics was ripe for new insights, "he had the right brain in the right place at the right time."

A critique of Falk’s statement above reveals that self discovery, supportive home, nurture, practice and positioning are what played the lead role in Albert’s success; which further corroborates the fact that genius is the final product of many factors, and not just a trait inherited by birth.

Furthermore, there is also the need to place more emphasis on ‘positioning’ in the making of a genius. Come to think of it; If Albert Einstein had lived all his years in a very remote section of a village in sub-Saharan Africa, and had no equipments and facilities to explore; would he still have lived to become what he became? Or if Lionel Messi (the much touted soccer genius) had out rightly gone the academic way, would he still have achieved high impetus as he does in soccer today? Our answers, undoubtedly, are synonymous. It is a capital NO.

Also, talking about child prodigy? Truth is, every child prodigy was only lucky to have been at the right place, doing the right thing at the right time. They were fortunate enough to have discovered themselves early in life and providence so have it on them that they had a very supportive home and environment. The musical genius - Mozart, was only lucky to have had a father who himself was a musician and was able to furnish his daughter with what he thought would help her in her musical career.

Conclusively, genius is a sheer product of self discovery, positioning, hard work, perseverance among others. Thomas Edison would have become nothing had he not persevered - it takes only a determined person to try out something more than a thousand times. “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard,” says Kevin Durant. No matter the enormity of the talent of a child; it would out rightly amounts to nothing if all the virtues cited above are missing.

Before I put scribble to halt, I would like to affirm, once again, that genius are not born, but made. Thank you.

REFERENCES:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

https://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html

http://news.sciencemag.org/2012/11/why-einstein-was-genius

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-genius-still-be-a-genius-if-they-are-uneducated-in-the-modern-sense

http://www.google.nl/search?q=child+prodigy+meaning&client=ms-rim&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&channel=browser&gws_rd=cr&oq=child+prodigy+meaning&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.3..0l2j0i22i30.78.5846.0.6407.15.13.0.1.1.0.597.597.5-1.1.0....0...1c.1.34.mobile-heirloom-serp..13.2.636. x0N7ZdFQkaQ

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:03pm On Jan 02, 2016
SECOND SPOT.

OAUTemitayo
menzo4u
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:05pm On Jan 02, 2016
Strike: A wrong Approach to Nigeria's Educational Problem

[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403632_oau-logo_jpegfd792ca2348535d7a50271d82c1b576d[/img]

OAUTemitayo:
Strike: A wrong Approach to Nigeria's Educational Problem.
Position: Support
Temitayo Lasisi representing OAU.

The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next. (Abraham Lincoln)
Is there a country that can advance technologically, socially, economically and militarily without a strong and effective education system? The answer is probably capital NO in sane minds.
The Nigerian public education sector comprises of the students, the educators and the administrators representing the government.
In pressing home their demands when in disagreement with government, labour unions in the education sector sometimes embark on strike actions.
Business Dictionary defined a strike action as "Collective, organized, cessation or slowdown of work by employees, to force acceptance of their demands by the employer.
Aligning the several items usually put in their demands by labour unions with the results of such agitation and situation on ground seems confusing.
In our education sector, we have several trade and labour unions from ASUU (Academic Staff Union of Universities), ASUP (Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics), SSANU (Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities), NASU (Non Academic Staff Union) and a host of others.
A quick recap of past agitations by this trade unions in the form of protests and strikes has shown the agitations not only to be persistent and unending, the agitations and most importantly the various strikes embarked upon by this unions have been centered around almost the same set of demands every now and then.
The fact that this strikes are centered on same recurrent demands means previous strikes have failed to achieve their desired aims.
If past strikes were successful, will the labour unions be agitating for same demands again?
The only result the ever recurring strikes has brought on the education sector is the improved standard of living of the members of ASUU, ASUP, SSANU, NASU and ASUSS which is evident in their luxurious cars ironically parked in front of dilapidating lecture rooms and administrative structures with leaking roofs.
Nigerian primary schools are still battling with dilapidated buildings collapsing and leading to the death of innocent students, inadequate or non available teaching aids, poorly trained teachers and inadequate funding such that majority of this schools are on live support funding provided by PTAs (Parent Teachers Association).
Primary six students of nowadays cannot read, write and comprehend the simplest of sentences.
The failure of strikes in our education sector is evident in the persistent lamentations of lecturers, students and other staffs of higher learning institutions over poor studying and working environment.
What have the numerous aluta continua, victory is never certain protests given us?
If despite all the strike actions embarked upon by this unions their members are still lamenting over deteriorating facilities then we need to weigh the impact of this strikes which has only increased the time spent by people to get their certificates.
What could be more frustrating for students and parents than ASUU going on a six month strike action with demands such as increase in salaries and emoluments, university autonomy, increased funding and improved facilities only to call off such strike and resume lecturing in same dilapidated structures just because their salaries were increased despite disrupting students' academic calendar?
Unending corruption in the education sector is a proof that workers in our education sector cannot be entrusted with the responsibility of agitating for a sound education system.
Almost all the money budgeted for capital projects are being embezzled or misappropriated by the same members of this labour unions. Or how do we describe the massive corruption being unearthed in educational institutions by EFCC and co?
A look at the results of students in SSCE, NECO and GCE has shown an unfortunate decline in the performance of secondary school students. There are several examination miracle centres established by same striking members of this labour unions with the purpose of helping lazy students cheat in WASSCE and NECO. If past strike actions had made positive impact on students' academic sophistication, will they need immoral help in examination special centers popularly known as special centers? Then what is the essence of past strike actions embarked upon by labour unions?
This labour unions are not concerned about the dilapidating hostels in the universities but their pocket. If OAU students are not protesting poor welfare conditions in their hostels today, IMSU students will be carrying placards tomorrow over inadequate classrooms.
Our university laboratories are still equipped with the same rustic and outdated equipments supplied since early 80's. So many times students will have to contribute money together in order to buy chemical reagents for practicals, so pathetic!
Our teaching hospitals are nothing to write home about, majority of them are not even worth calling consulting centres looking at their sorry situation. We have heard of surgeons using candles to perform surgical operations in our teaching hospitals, how low can our teaching hospitals deteriorate in standard?
The simplest of tools are missing in the engineering departments of our universities and polytechnics. No machineries, no simulation equipments.
Despite all the agitations, things are not improving across board. Strike actions are only improving the financial and living status of labour union members while making the life of students and parents miserable and pathetic through persistent time wasting and demoralising closure of schools that add no value to the life of students.
So many established entrepreneurs have been lamenting since time immemorial about the unemployable status of majority of Nigerian graduates which is a pointer to the fact our education sector is not improving despite the numerous strike actions.
Nigerian government have refused to increase funding to the education sector with budgetary allocation declining to 8% in 2014 even though the United Nations standard is 26%. This means that the six month ASUU strike of 2013 with demands centered on increased funding of universities is a failure in all ramifications.
With the current sorry state of dilapidating infrastructures, inadequate funding, inadequate teaching aids, declining performance of students and inadequate teachers and lecturers, unending reports of massive, brute and stinking corruption, extension of students' time spent on academic careers and disruption of academic calendars in our educational institutions, it is very evident that strike actions is a wrong approach, it has not achieved the desired impact on the structures, institutions and stakeholders that represents the education system.
We therefore cannot continue to derail the future of our youths through ineffective strike actions with lopsided impacts.
The earlier we adopt another strategy the better.

Resources:
Definition of strike action. www.businessdictionary.com/definition/strike.html
ASUU Strike; History of ASUU STRIKE from 1999 till 2013. www.dailyschoolnews.com.ng/ASUU-strike-hostory-of-ASUU-strike-from-1999-till-2013/
On Teaching Hospitals And Partnerships. www.medicalworldnigeria.com/2015/09/on-teaching-hospitals-and-partnerships
Worrisome performance of SSCE students. www.radionigerialagos.com/index.php/news/189-worrisome-performance-of-ssce-students
Students’ performance drops as WAEC releases 2014 results.
dailypost.ng/2014/08/11/students-performance-drops-waec-releases-2014-results/
Imo varsity students protest poor academic condition.
dailytimes.com.ng/imo-varsity-students-protest-poor-academic-condition/
WAEC Distinction/Merit Awards: When’ll public schools bridge the gap? www.vanguardngr.com/2014/12/waec-distinctionmerit-awards-whenll-public-schools-bridge-gap/
Obafemi Awolowo University shut after students protest. www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/194267-obafemi-awolowo-university-shut-after-students-protest.html
Challenging conditions at Nigerian universities. www.iunc.net/Challenging_conditions_at_Nigerian_universities.html
University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital doctors use candle lights, torch to perform surgeries – ARD President. www.nigerianeye.com/2015/10/university-of-nigeria-teaching-hospital.html?m=1
7 killed in Jos school building collapse, rescue efforts continue. www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/189998-update-7-killed-in-jos-school-building-collapse-rescue-efforts-continue.hState
EFCC arrests Adamawa University VC, others for selling N13m SUV as scrap. www.premiumtimesng.com/news/189334-efcc-arrests-adamawa-university-vc-others-for-selling-n13m-suv-as-scrap.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:08pm On Jan 02, 2016
“Media: Is not A panacea for global terrorism".

menzo4u:
“The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty, and make the guilty innocent, and that is power. Because they control the mind of the masses”-MalcomX

On this note, I use this medium to extend my humble greetings to the organisers of this great debate, the unbiased jurists, fellow debaters and the highly observant spectators. My name is menzo4u, first representative of Yaba College of Technology, Yabatech. I am opposing the topic which says as quoted, “Media: A panacea for global terrorism".

There is no gainsaying the media has taken over the globe, especially in a world where technology is fast-growing like the speed of light, such that we can now have access to any information on our palm. Before delving into details, I will like to give a comprehensive definition of the key terms in the subject of discourse.

Terrorism: According wikipedia, it is commonly defined as a violent act (or the threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for a religious, political or ideological goal, and which deliberately disregard the safety of the non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians).
Media: Wikipedia also defines media as the the collective communication outlets or tools that are used to deliver information or data. The media comes in various forms such as print media (newspapers, magazines), social media (whatsapp, twitter, facebook), and electronic media (radio, television) among others.

The question as to whether the media is a problem or a panacea (solution) for global terrorism is not a debatable one. This fact can best be established through the way the media has promoted the rise in terrorism across the globe. The main objective of terrorist organisations is to garner recognition and propagate their “gospel” to the world, and the media has been a perfect tool for them to achieve this purpose. The case study here is the Islamic State of Iraq and Levente (ISIL) and BokoHaram which make use of various online media to increase their level of global recognition by uploading various attacks they perpetrated through the use of YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook among others.

Before the current revolution of the media, particularly before the internet comes into the scene, there have been many terrorist organisations in various parts of the world, but hardly do they gain this type of global awareness and recognition as it is today. In case I start talking about some past terrorist groups like the Aryan Nations, the Orange Volunteers, Antibalaka Group, hardly can anyone know about them due to the very low media coverage they had compared to this era.

In addition, the social media in particular has been a source of recruitment for terrorists. According to a news report by Newyork Times, ISIL for instance, now has online media through which they recruit teenagers globally. A similar instance is Alex, a 23-year old American who confesses to have been lured into joining the ISIL through the “Twitter”, and many of such cases. The fibble-minded who go online are easily brainwashed and hoodwinked into various terrorist organisations around the world.

Furthermore, the media instigate violence through false publications, which eventually leads to terrorism. Some weeks ago, news broke out concerning the bombardment of the headquarters of Shi’ite Group (an Islamic Movement in Nigeria) which led to the arrest of their leader, Ibrahim Zak’zaky, before we knew it, his fake pictures showing how he had been beaten up and tortured by the Nigerian Army in a pool of blood was already circulated in the media. This singular false report has attracted various international protests from countries like Iran, India and so on. If not for the timely intelligence applied by the Federal Government of Nigeria to curb the issue, the Shi’ite followers would have been another new-born terror group by now due to the alleged toturing of their leader which the media made them believe.

Furthermore, terrorist organizations now use the online media as a channel through which they communicate with one another. A news report on dreitbart.com (2014) said, and I quote “BokoHaram receiving advice from ISIS on how to create African caliphate”. The media has made this possible for the terrorists through the use of social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, among others. This is what they term “online jihad”.

By implication, the media also make the success against winning the war against terrorism a difficult one. Since the media is not only a source of communication but also information, the terrorists have taken advantage of this to have easy access to various plans by the millitary and thereby making adjustment to their plans. For example, if not for the throughly restricted media access that the United States ensured during their intensive search for Osama Binladen, the media would have published several moves to capture him to the public domain.

In conclusion, just like MalcomX’s quote above,”…the media control the mind of the masses”. The masses is you and me, it is the teenagers who have unrestricted access to various media like Google, twitter, or Youtube to watch “interestingly”, how various terror acts are carried out across the globe, and eventually put it into practice. In my final words, I believe with the aforementioned challenges, the media is not a panacea for global terrorism. Thank you.

Reference:
Definition of terrorism by Wikipedia:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

Definition of Media:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_(communication)

MalcomX Quote:
http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/media.html

Dreitbart: BokoHaram and ISIS communication
http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/09/10/report-boko-haram-receiving-advice-from-isis-on-how-to-create-african-caliphate/

Shiite killings:
http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00040328.html

New York Times Report
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/world/americas/isis-online-recruiting-american.html?referer=

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:09pm On Jan 02, 2016
FIRST SPOT.

[size=15pt]ABUKLAW[/size]
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2016
“Geniuses are born, not made.”

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1403613_abulogo_jpeg76ff220cc807e4d2031970f376113b54

Abuklaw:
Do genes make the genius? Or is it really true that practice and training determine a genius?

I am using this medium to pay homage to whom it’s due.
The C.E.O of Nairaland, Mr. Seun Osewa,
Organizers of this intellectual event,
Incorruptible and ever-sagacious panel of Judges,
Perspicacious co-debaters,
Members of Nairaland intelligentsia,
Ladies and gentlemen.

Good day, I am abuklaw by moniker, representing Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. The purpose of this write-up is to logically support the topic “Geniuses are born, not made.”

For proper understanding of this subject, there are some terms that need to be expounded. The understanding of the term “Genius,” “Genetic” and “environmental influence is pertinent.

Genius according to American Heritage Dictionary is defined “as a person with an IQ of 140 and higher”

Wikipedia regards a genius “as a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality”

Genetic according to Merriam-Webster dictionary mean “relating to or determined by origin, development, or casual antecedents of something.” Or “of, relating to, caused by, or controlled genes.”

While environmental influence can be explained in this context as the training, practise and human interactions that people undergo in the course of their development in life.

Without further ado, the points that succinctly back up the motion that “Geniuses are born, not made” are as follow:

It is unarguably incredible that there is someone in this world that still holds the opinion that irrespective of circumstance of birth, one can become anything in life, as long as one gets adequate training and practice well. The Einsteins, Edisons, Da Vincis, Picassos, Michelangelos, Galileos, Freuds and Mozarts of history were nothing but born Genius. As much as psychologist can say pertaining human intellectual abilities, they can’t till today explain the rationale behind the variation in learning and memory capacity of human being without referring to the hereditary dispositions of individuals. Contrary to John Locke’s assertion that “the mind at birth is like a tabula rasa-blank slate,” Lady gaga in her 2011 album made the bold empirical claim that “we are just born like this.” This means the musician was not born a blank slate but with natural abilities.

Genius is quantitatively and qualitatively different from talent. Talent refers to the ability to perform special kind of work and implies a relatively quick and easy acquisition of a particular skill within a domain while Genius involves originality, creativity, and ability to work and think in areas not previously explored. A genius is a person who comes up with ideas that are achievement model which others admire and imitate. The world would have been a worthless place if some people couldn’t come up with first of its kind invention. These people to a large extent cannot explain the steps that lead to the conception of their idea or how they come about such invention.

It would be absurd to assert that practice or training can make someone achieve in few months what normally takes a decade for an average person to achieve. It is without doubt the innate gifts of an individual that propel such individual to be extraordinary and exceptional in their chosen field. If training or practice could make a genius, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to pick a football player as the best in the world among the pack of players who receive similar or better training and coaching from competent coaches in the world
Howard Gardner identified eight particular types of intelligent. He opined that the genius is born with extraordinary capacities in at least one of these areas of intelligence. A writer possesses linguistic intelligence, a successful footballer possesses kinesthetic intelligence, and a Nobel price holder in science related field possesses a mathematical-logical intelligence e.t.c.

Lending credence to the above, it is noteworthy, that attempt to make a genius will most time end in emotional debacle and psychological disorder. Imagine the disaster if Michael Jackson’s parent had tried to make him a boxer and Muhammad Alli’s father forced him into music. I am aware of the fact that training and practice can improve a person’s ability but it is ultimately biological factors that make a genius among ordinary achievers.

Although special programs attempting to overcome the deficits of people with low intelligent quotient abound, programs targeted at the genius (intellectually gifted) are rare. This is so because of the persistent view that the gifted ought to be able to “make it on their own,” if they can’t, they really weren’t gifted in the first place. (Robinson, 2003, Parke, 2005, sparks, 2007)

On a final note, the recipe of extraordinary achievement which include Intelligence, considerable drive, persistence, perseverance etc. Are to a certain degree genetic. If you’re born “stupid and lazy” forget about earning a Nobel Prize in physics.

Let’s take a look at the below short biography of a person published on page 125 of people weekly magazine in 2003.

“Writing at age 2, Reading at age 3, playing classical music on the piano at age 4 and composing music at age 5. But that is just the start of Sho Yono’s resume. With an IQ measured at 200, he entered Loyola University at the age of 9 and graduated summa cum laude at the age of 12. Then it was off to a joint graduate program in molecular genetics and medicine. He received a PhD at the age of 18, and he is now in medical school. Along the way, he received black belt in taekwondo and played piano on a national radio program. He’s also prone to understatement, saying “it is just fun learning.”

Do you still think Sho Yono was made through training and practice?

REFERENCE:

Parke, B.N (2003) Discovering programs for talent development. Thousand oaks, CA: Corwin press.

People weekly. (2003, June 23) kid doc: He’s no brain surgeon yet but sho yono, 12, is about to start med school. People weekly, 125

Robinson, N.M (2003) two wrong do not make a right: sacrificing the needs of gifted students does not solve the society’s unsolved problems. Journal for the education of the gifted, 26, 251-273

Sparks, S.D (2007, October 2). Foundation: Gifted poor students given short shrift. Education daily, 40, 3.

Valerie Strauss (2012) geniuses born or made?. Retrieved online @ 10:15am on 12:12:2015 @ www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/geniuses-born-or-made/2012/05/28/gJQAkvRhxu-blog.html.

https://www.quora.com/are-geniuses-born-made-or-both

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Idiots

American Heritage Dictionary.

Merriam Webster Dictionary

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2016
Congratulations guys
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2016
abuklaw you are sighted what do you have to say?
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 10:40pm On Jan 02, 2016
The thread is open for discussions.. . Etc..
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by menzo4u: 11:35pm On Jan 02, 2016
It is a great privilege and honour on my part to be placed side-by-side with these academic giants. Thanks to the organisers of this debate. Hoping to keep making myself and the great Yabatech proud.

Thanks once again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by OAUTemitayo: 11:42pm On Jan 02, 2016
Its a big honour to be on this list.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Abuklaw(m): 12:04am On Jan 03, 2016
I am honoured to be regarded the best debater among these intellectual gladiators. It is not without doubt the grace of God that such laurel was given to me.

I really appreciate the organisers of the debate. The person of fynestboi, luxanne, tosyne2much and others. I wish you the very best of your endeavour.

Nevertheless, the task ahead is more important than the one in the past. I am getting myself ready for the subsequent fixture and topic. It would do me no good if my performance in the latter stage didn't justify this one.

My special appreciation to hardeyemie, eeshfar779, Catalyst4real, and other abusite on the forum.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by scentmarlc(m): 12:07am On Jan 03, 2016
Kudos to you guyz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by sammyscholar(m): 7:19am On Jan 03, 2016
I so much appreciate the recognition and accolades. All plaudits to the team NISD -thanks to you all

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by lanxlot(m): 1:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
give me a dozen healthy infants well formed, and my own special world to raise them up in, and I assure to take anyone at random and train him to become any type of specialist I might select...doctor, lawyer, artist, merchant man, and yes Even begger man and thief. regardless of talents, penchants, tendencies, vocation and race of their ancestors. I am going beyond my facts and I admit it but so av d proponent of the contrary and they have been doing it, for many thousands of years...John B Watson (1924/P 82). The nature/nurture debate. I so much love that topic.
psychologists has come to a concensus...its kinda lyk a 50/50 thing...genetic is central, but d environment is also crucial...Luxanne, I sight u.

1 Like

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by khrisluv(m): 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2016
this one be like olamide and donbaba j
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Aminat508(f): 1:05pm On Jan 03, 2016
cool
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by ifyalways(f): 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Following keenly.

Would definitely put in small cash gift for the winning individual or team. This is lovely. Education must be encouraged.

Well done to the organisers.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Ask4bigneyo(m): 1:11pm On Jan 03, 2016

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Fynestboi: 1:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
ifyalways:
Following keenly.

Would definitely put in small cash gift for the winning individual or team. This is lovely. Education must be encouraged.

Well done to the organisers.

Thanks ma.
smiley

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by lordsharks(m): 1:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
watching in 3D
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by amjou: 1:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
I really want to commend this forum and the planners of this online debate.
it is a good thing. Today, we see all kind of competitions in entertainment, but few in education, talent show,art works, science and technology. Nigeria as a nation, needs to start embracing and publicizing events like this with huge rewards, this will move us forward a great deal.
Not some Headies, Beauty awards that won't develop my unborn baby inutero.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by Sheenor: 2:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
lemme register my presence...
Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by SIMPLIFIED(m): 2:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
kudos to the organisers and participant of this great and laudable programee. . nairaland is becoming more of a gossip blog this days and more of this kind of event should be encouraged. Please even if little SEUN and other well meaning nigerians should attach cash price to the winning spot and runners up.This debate can be bigger, hope to see it published on our dailies. .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Essay of NISD third edition best debaters :::(First Stage) by abeloureal(m): 2:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
Nothing they say is fair in love and war. I am highly elated with the articles above. One thing I cannot seem to decipher is how the Judges get to place positions on these articles. Kudos to you all. I am a proud Nigerian Student. Proudly AAUITE.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic.ilaro Aspirants / 15 Things You've Always Wanted To Know About Lesbians. / Girl Breaks 30yr Old Rule To Enter Boys Hostel. See How Boys Reacted (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.