Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,568 members, 7,861,702 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:22 PM

Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? (1186 Views)

What Is The Right Way To Scold A Child / 20 Things You Must Teach Your Children Before They Grow Up / Why Do Couples Tend To Look Alike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by Nobody: 6:34am On Jun 14, 2009
It's very typical of Nigerian mothers to scold their children first before petting them. It's like shooting before asking.

Imagine a child falling down and crying, then the next thing, the mother comes out with a broom screaming 'Didn't I tell you not to do that? You'll get your cane today".

Why? Is it out of fear?

I mean, I remember when I was a lil kid, used to love climbing trees. Anytime I fall, my grandma would come after me with a cane, screaming "o ni koba mi. O ni pa ara e simi lo run." (meaning: you will not get me in trouble. You will not kill yourself on me). After a few running, then she comes comforming me and checking for broken bones.
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by ifyalways(f): 8:11am On Jun 14, 2009
LOL.Nostalgia !
I dont think they scold b4 petting for the very first time undecided .scolding first comes from the fact that they have told u countless times to stop doing whatever u are doing,they want u to know that what u are doing might hurt u and is not right for u,they are quite tired of telling u same thing all over.The petting part is just natural. . it comes from within,no mother wud see her child physically hurt and not pet him/her.Its their own way of assuring u that they still love u.
One more thing,after the scolding and petting,u are still reminded to stop doing whatever u did albeit, in a loving way.
Mothers are just the bomb kiss men look the other way when such things occur cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by lannre(m): 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2009
simple, ta ba fotun ba omo wi a fi osi fa mora - when you scold a child with the right you pamper with the left.
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 14, 2009
ifyalways:

LOL.Nostalgia !
I dont think they scold b4 petting for the very first time undecided .scolding first comes from the fact that they have told u countless times to stop doing whatever u are doing,they want u to know that what u are doing might hurt u and is not right for u,they are quite tired of telling u same thing all over.The petting part is just natural. . it comes from within,no mother wud see her child physically hurt and not pet him/her.Its their own way of assuring u that they still love u.
One more thing,after the scolding and petting,u are still reminded to stop doing whatever u did albeit, in a loving way.
Mothers are just the bomb kiss men look the other way when such things occur cheesy
Well, you're right.
I was the stubborn kinda, so I usually get the track race on the 3rd fall tongue

rotflmao @ men usually looks the other way
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by Sissy3(f): 12:46am On Jun 15, 2009
yea, they usually scold you when the act has been repeated times without number. i got some of that too lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by tytylayor: 10:05am On Jun 15, 2009
lannre:

simple, ta ba fotun ba omo wi a fi osi fa mora - when you scold a child with the right you pamper with the left.

even d bible confirms dat
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by kolaoloye(m): 10:24am On Jun 15, 2009
It is just to create awareness that if you are caught in the act again you shall be dealt with severely.
Most of the time ,they don't actually flogged you.That is the more reason i love my Mum kiss

tytylayor:

even d bible confirms dat
titi-alayo!, where is it in the bible
Its been long,how are u doing? cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by tytylayor: 10:54am On Jun 15, 2009
no wonder ur spoilt,lol
howdy?, u no dey read ur bible again?
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by mukina2: 1:38pm On Jun 15, 2009
its not only Nigerian mothers . I think you should say some African Mothers grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by iice(f): 4:19am On Jun 16, 2009
The scolding is to make you understand that what you did is wrong
The comforting is to make sure that you are well and that even though you were wrong, she is still your mother and will still be there for you.

Personally i hated the scolding, i would rather be flogged. Trust me i've heard enough grin
I remember when i cracked my arm, i didn't go to her office (in the days telephone lines were scarce). . .i waited for her to come home, by that time i was numb from the pain, so all what she said, i heard in a daze cheesy
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by kalmebad(f): 3:29pm On Jun 19, 2009
it's good to beat a child with the right hand, then chides back with the left hand

For me good training in a right direction

you don't spare the rod to spoil the child, how can u correct wrong by pampering first??

the child will never learn from his/her misdeed.
Re: Why Do Some Naija Mothers Tend To Scold Their Children Before Comforting Them? by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 20, 2009
Na true you talk o.

Its just me wondering. tongue

(1) (Reply)

My wife is verbally abusing me; Please Help / She's In Trouble: Help With Soothing Words! / Unbelievable – This 2year-old Girl Was Sold By Her Aunt For 100,000naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.