Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,052 members, 7,821,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Pressures Of Being A Firstborn - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pressures Of Being A Firstborn (1756 Views)

Lady Raises Alarm Over Academic Pressures Her Parents Put On Her Brother / Reasons Why A Firstborn Cannot Marry Another Firstborn / Interesting Facts About Firstborn Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by Ayt27(m): 11:13pm On Jan 02, 2016
It's a New year and we all have goals,aspirations, dreams and responsibilities that comes with new beginnings, but for me this is not so.
Being the first born has it's perks but more often than not, i sometimes see it has having more cons than pro. The Nigerian system is that a first born child (especially males, not being mysgonistic) are the ones that will bring the family to the lime light, the siblings look up to you and all eyes are on you.

I may not yet at this time get pressured but my ideology,physical and emotional responses are of one that feels pressured if by no one but by myself.
Parents get it into your ears that they want to enjoy the fruits of their labours, piles of responsibilities are laden on your head. When a mistake is being committed by you, you are scolded and told you should know better, why? Because you are the firstborn.

Also, there's this slight belief that if the first-born does not become well to do in life, it may be a bit difficult for the siblings to actually succeed because the way has not been paved properly and there's no role model to look up too. I know I would want all siblings to be well-to do and so this puts further constraints on my extravagance and tightens my need and desire to succeed.

The downside in receiving all round attention is one might not be able to live up to such high expectations by parents,families and the society.

Will society ever let the reins of be held lightly on our necks?
Your experiences as a first-borns?
Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by ninovandross(m): 11:17pm On Jan 02, 2016
The first first born to comment, I feel u bro
Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by Ewizard(m): 12:18am On Jan 03, 2016
Wen d goin gets tough, d tough gets goin!
Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by killsmith(f): 9:30am On Jan 03, 2016
Most first born tend not to do well because of the pressure to succeed and pave way for the siblings.....

1 Like

Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by GraceBestowed(f): 11:51am On Jan 03, 2016
There is a blessing that is attached to being a first born. A lot of expectations are placed on first borns, however it can turn somewhat negative. The pressure you place on yourself stems from others' expectations.

Please understand that everything happens in its own time. Work hard and aim to achieve your own set standards. It is impossible to achieve standards set by everyone else.

1 Like

Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by Lexusgs430: 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself. Do your best and drop the rest!!!
Re: Pressures Of Being A Firstborn by Rukkydelta(f): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Thank God i'm not a first born

(1) (Reply)

How To Overcome Shyness This Year / Please Help Me Answer This Ooo / 7 Things A Man Will Never Do If He Truly Loves You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.