Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. (15195 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by cckris: 3:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
AheadMarket:

Yes! He is. His name is Yeshua. Jesus was coin from Zeus god. Go and ready history. Christians are getting everything wrong
JESUS is Greek word for Joshua, or any of its variants. Elias is Elijah, etc. I read all accounts.
THE LIGHT SHINES IN THE DARKNESS, AND DARKNESS CAN NEVER WITHSTAND IT, IN JESUS NAME, AMEN.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by BlackHummer(m): 3:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
It grieves me to see christians engage in senseless arguments instead of focusing on other weightier matters. How does a worship day affect your salvation? When Christ died, resurrected and sat on the seat of honour, he made all things new. He established the New and did away with the Old. If one man considers any of the days to be holy, let him be. He does it to honour the Lord and it is to his credit. All days are holy to the Lord and that is why I can attend any church service whether fixed on monday, saturday or friday. Most denominations chose sunday as the main day of worship in honour of Christ's resurrection which is good. Some other folks chose saturday because they want to honour the sabbath which is also good but I can guarantee you that none of these mean you are serving God better than the other. I go to church on tuesday for bible study and other church functions on thursday. Does that mean I have sinned? Again, I perceive someone reasoning that bible study and prayer meetings are different from sunday service. Only actions born out of faith and love is required of Christians. What ever is done in faith and revelation is what makes our actions acceptable. Frankly speaking, all these confusion show that we are still dwelling in the shadow of the reality found in Christ.

Col 2:16 "let no man judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ" KJV.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by cckris: 3:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
SABBATH is for JEWS only, and not for the whole world.
JESUS the Messiah, or Christ in Greek, is the Lamb of God that takes away the SIN of the whole world. This difference between Judaism and Christianity is very clear.

Non -Jews keeping Sabbath are just wasting their time. The Sabbath covenant doesn't cover them, so they strive to combine Old and New Covenants, or Testaments, like using new cloth to patch an old one. And it will never work.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by udeh3(m): 4:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
Some years back... Some preacher came around and started saying that "If you're a Christian and you still worship God in the church on Sunday and not Saturday, you're a sinner and you're doomed for hell." It almost resulted to an argument because they also used the scripture and their backup and said "Thou shal keep the sabbath day holy"

...I then opened Mark 2 and we started reading, after reading verse 27 and 28, I said to them "Man is a Lord over the sabbath." The sabbath day should not be an issue here if man has been made Lord over the sabbath. In as much Sunday have been officially declared a Worship, So be It since Man is a Lord over the sabbath

If you also see Saturday as the sabbath day, It's also wonderful, the most important thing there is to seek the face of God and So long you have peace of mind, there's no problem

The only thing I disagree with is "When you say Sunday or Saturday is the sabbath day and if you worship otherwise, you're a sinner." This mindset is very wrong. Which day you preferred, you're right. God still moves heavily in Saturdays Churches and also on Sunday

Christianity is not a religion, It's a way of life...
God help us!
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by freeze22(m): 4:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

Don't be silly,
Are you wearing a pair of boxer shorts?
Is it because there is a verse somewhere written, 'thus sayeth'?

God's command is simple,
Hebrews 10:25 (KJV)
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

The details are left to men whether it's daily, weekly or over 1 hour or 6 hours. This is the freedom Holy Spirit has given us. If it pains you to be free then feel free to go back to Moses like the bewitched Galatians

you're truly a troubled person aren't you? you find it difficult to express yourself in a Christ like manner right? well I'm not here to mix words with you or any other person... I have played my role and if you don't like it......Here's my prayer for you. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you.Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Haywhymido(m): 4:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
PastorOluT:

Smile, so this is the best u can come up with all that was said?

NB U only prove his point!
which bush did u come frm R u blind nt to see dat am nt in for ur s¡lly talks
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by oglalasioux(m): 4:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
bad atheists!! Why do atheists love calling people fools ? And you atheists always claims to be wise ?

Romans 1:22
“Professing to be wise they became
fools”

Satan is fooling you guys, making you believe lies just as he did to Eve, I've said this before ;Another reason for rejecting God (choosing atheism), is a willing acceptance of satanic deception.
The angel Lucifer fell and became Satan (“adversary”) due to his desire to supplant God. This was Lucifer’s single-minded obsession. He not only rejected God by attempting to supplant Him, but he urged humans to do likewise. Satan urged Eve to choose against God for her own self-fulfilment:

Genesis 3:1-5
He said to the woman, “Did God actually
say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the
garden’?” And the woman said to the
serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the
trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You
shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that
is in the midst of the garden, neither
shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the
serpent said to the woman, “You will not
surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The tactic is clear: firstly, question God’s
statements, then, contradict God’s
statements and, finally, urge rebellion in seeking equality with God.

This manifests in atheists as

1. Questioning whether there is a God to
make statements in the first place, so
God did not say anything.
2. Contradicting the statements said to
have been spoken by God.
3. Seeking equality with God by replacing God with the self.

This satanic deception appeals strongly
to atheists as it bolsters two of their
desired delusions:1) absolute autonomy
; being free to do as they please, and 2)
the lack of ultimate accountability;
there are no eternal consequences for
doing as they please.
Both God and Devil, in the manner the bible teaches, does not exist. No real atheist will agree that Devil exist but he believes in a power far greater than the universe itself. The atheist's problem with religion is that it believes in an arbitrary God. The atheist's problem with the bible is that it's a very Jewish book. The Bible is a good book but so is the Principia Mathematica or the works of William Shakespeare.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 5:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
freeze22:

you're truly a troubled person aren't you? you find it difficult to express yourself in a Christ like manner right? well I'm not here to mix words with you or any other person... I have played my role and if you don't like it......Here's my prayer for you. "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you.Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27

Now that you talk of Christ, here is what He expressed concerning the subject at hand;
Romans 14:5-6 (KJV)
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Whatever you do, do as unto the Lord and you have your reward
Colossians 3:23 (KJV)
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

So when I run into modern Pharisees with their nauseating holier-than-thou attitude, I pray that scales may fall off their eyes, that like Paul they may turn from the Law to serve the living Christ
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by malvisguy212: 5:15pm On Jan 03, 2016
oglalasioux:

Both God and Devil, in the manner the bible teaches, does not exist. No real atheist will agree that Devil exist but he believes in a power far greater than the universe itself. The atheist's problem with religion is that it believes in an arbitrary God. The atheist's problem with the bible is that it's a very Jewish book. The Bible is a good book but so is the Principia Mathematica or the works of William Shakespeare.
you are not qualify to interprete scripture.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by freeze22(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

Now that you talk of Christ, here is what He expressed concerning the subject at hand;
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

So when I run into modern Pharisees with their nauseating holier-than-thou attitude, I pray that scales may fall off their eyes, that like Paul they may turn from the Law to serve the living Christ

How about those who regard the grace of GOD as cheap grace, people who regard GOD'S grace as a license to continue in apostasy. I know your kind brother.
Have you cared to read the previous verses prior to Romans 14:5,6 especially verse one were he talked about disputable matters? are the commandments of GOD disputable matters? was the word Sabbath mentioned in any of the verses? have you tried to establish a link between days and meats mentioned in the verses with other verses like Isaiah 58, to get the context?

So how do you explain col 3:23? a license to do whatever you want as unto the LORD right? let me guess...emmm you can steal heartily unto the LORD right? did you say No?or maybe you can commit adultery heartily unto the LORD? No? How do you define sin? "Everyone who sins breaks the law, in fact, sin is lawlessness" 1John 3:4
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by freeze22(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

How about those who regard the grace of GOD as cheap grace, people who regard GOD'S grace as a license to continue in apostasy. I know your kind brother.
Have you cared to read the previous verses prior to Romans 14:5,6 especially verse one were he talked about disputable matters? are the commandments of GOD disputable matters? was the word Sabbath mentioned in any of the verses? have you tried to establish a link between days and meats mentioned in the verses with other verses like Isaiah 58, to get the context?

So how do you explain col 3:23? a license to do whatever you want as unto the LORD right? let me guess...emmm you can steal heartily unto the LORD right? did you say No?or maybe you can commit adultery heartily unto the LORD? No? How do you define sin? "Everyone who sins breaks the law, in fact, sin is lawlessness" 1John 3:4
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
freeze22:

Paul says we should not sin so grace may abound.

Days and food are not 'disputable'. God is indifferent to these.
Isaiah equally talks of New moons and not just sabbaths. Do you keep Jewish New moons? Of course you don't. Why do you cherry pick?

I know your kind; brainwashed by Ellen White

Bro are you confused?
In Romans 14, Paul is clear that regarding any day or not regarding SHOULD be left to individual convictions. Can you imagine if sleeping with your mother is left to individual convictions!

The reason for this is simple; observing days is a non-issue. Remember Paul is writing to a community of Jews and Gentiles and most probably the days he had in mind was the sabbath. It can't be pagan days because he would have none of paganism, not to mention one can't observe pagan days 'unto to the Lord'.

The reason I raised the issue of 'unto the Lord' was to show you that Sunday fellowship held in the name of Jesus is something done 'unto the Lord'. What Law is there against such?
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

Look at another m0ron.
Is it Yeshua,Yeshahua,Yahashua?
Are u satisfied, yet?
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
Alanjeffy:

What a funny n clueless answer... Nonsense...

So if Ur in a program now let's say who wants to be a millionaire n Ur in no 13 question just few lines to win d max cash n a question like this comes up..will u boldly choose Sunday as Ur answer??

More lies make you a fake Christian.. Say the truth for once.

Can u open oxford dictionary n read out the meanings of Saturday n Sundays??

End time dullards
Keep living in the euphoria of ur stupidiity
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by freeze22(m): 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

Paul says we should not sin so grace may abound.

Days and food are not 'disputable'. God is indifferent to these.
Isaiah equally talks of New moons and not just sabbaths. Do you keep Jewish New moons? Of course you don't. Why do you cherry pick?

I know your kind; brainwashed by Ellen White

Bro are you confused?
In Romans 14, Paul is clear that regarding any day or not regarding SHOULD be left to individual convictions. Can you imagine if sleeping with your mother is left to individual convictions!

The reason for this is simple; observing days is a non-issue. Remember Paul is writing to a community of Jews and Gentiles and most probably the days he had in mind was the sabbath. It can't be pagan days because he would have none of paganism, not to mention one can't observe pagan days 'unto to the Lord'.

The reason I raised the issue of 'unto the Lord' was to show you that Sunday fellowship held in the name of Jesus is something done 'unto the Lord'. What Law is there against such?

You didn't answer my questions brother... anyway there's no point in arguing with you. Perhaps I should have followed the good advice in Prov 26:4 a long time ago.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 6:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
freeze22:

You didn't answer my questions brother... anyway there's no point in arguing with you. Perhaps I should have followed the good advice in Prov 26:4 a long time ago.

They say a fool is regarded as wise when they hold their peace wink
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 6:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
AheadMarket:

Are u satisfied, yet?
Or was it Eshua?
Get an education son and stop embarrassing motherland
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
AheadMarket:

Keep living in the euphoria of ur stupidiity

Kids will always be kids. Nothing here calls for an insult... If you think I gat no point to make,prove me wrong.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by oglalasioux(m): 7:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
you are not qualify to interprete scripture.
What is scripture? Your bible? You are deluded. A chemistry text book tells me more about God than your biased bible that contradicts itself.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2016
oglalasioux:

What is scripture? Your bible? You are deluded. A chemistry text book tells me more about God than your biased bible that contradicts itself.
then, science is your God, the bible does not contradicte itself, you contradicte the bible.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by oglalasioux(m): 8:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
then, science is your God, the bible does not contradicte itself, you contradicte the bible.
Yes, my man. Science tells me more about God than a book written by Jews who wanted to find an excuse for their genocidal killings. Galileo is my prophet. Thanks.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by malvisguy212: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2016
oglalasioux:

Yes, my man. Science tells me more about God than a book written by Jews who wanted to find an excuse for their genocidal killings. Galileo is my prophet. Thanks.
alright. It is well.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
vooks:

Or was it Eshua?
Get an education son and stop embarrassing motherland
Mchew
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
Alanjeffy:

Kids will always be kids. Nothing here calls for an insult... If you think I gat no point to make,prove me wrong.
A little research into things will show, glaringly, that you've been scammed all along
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by Fixryte(m): 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
timilehing:
So many Christians nowadays takes their Bible reading less serious but prefer listening to modified sweet-talks from Pastors.

Days in The Bible were referred to as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th day of the week. Sunday was never mentioned.

According to God's instructions to the Israelites, they were to work from 1st day of the week to the 6th day & rest on the 7th. The Sabbath was always performed on the resting day which is the last day of the week according to The Bible.

If you're taking Sunday as the first day, it's either you're disobeying God's direct other or I don't know what else that is.

Sunday is the last day of the week. Monday through Saturday we work.

If you can give any logical explanation based on both Old and New Testament contents that suggests Sunday as the first day, I may be interested in further questions.

The issue of Sunday being the first day of the week started with people who believed they should start the week in God's presence rather than ending it with Him.

According to the bible sunday is the first day of the week...

Read mark 16 , 1-5
Mark: 16.
1. And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
3. And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
4. And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
5. And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. -

Also Read genesis 1 and 2
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by vooks: 9:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
AheadMarket:

Mchew
The Sacred Name Movement is silly and you know it
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by winner01(m): 6:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
Haywhymido:
embittered ko emsweetened ni. God bless u
Amen, and you too.
Re: Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. by ehix89(m): 9:56pm On Jan 07, 2016
zinnyprecy:
We really need to be reading our bibles nd using our phone wisely, meditate on it day nd nyt nd u would find answers to u endless questions, according to Daniel 7 everything happening nd all dis confusion is meant to be, which was accomplished by d Roman emperor in his days which is emperor Constantine, He brought all dis confusions.
hi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Pastor Inspires You? / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? / Christmas: Father Mbaka Gives Rice To Orphans, Crippled & Widows (pics,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.