Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,829 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa (4922 Views)

What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by soi(m): 10:11pm On Jun 14, 2009
I read a thread earlier, that had the question "Is Nigeria really the Giant of Africa." I was not amused when I saw most of what was written in that thread. If you want to know the truth, don't travel to UK, USA or any country of the west. Travel to Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana, Botswana etc.

Many countries in Africa are nothing but whitewashed tombs. Don't just visit those lush areas, go into the hinterlands. Go to our so called competitor called Ghana. Inside Accra, the capital city are Slumps, Villages where there is neither water nor light. Visit Lome, That one is a glorified village, Go to Congo. Stop visiting nice areas in some of these African countries and visit some other Areas.

I hated Nigeria with a passion until I went to some countries and found no ATM machine. In some that have ATM, they are not interconnected. Nigeria that you are insulting gives them loans and grants and some other form of aid. They depend on us for subsidized energy. We are the second largest economy in Africa after south Africa. We hold political power and will.

Many African nations like the Kenyans etc are jealous of us. We are more advanced than some lonely town like Gabon and some nations that are virtually Ghost towns. We have more human resources , we have more natural resources aside oil, Most of these nations are sustained by Nigerians. An example is Ghana. The amount of tax paid by Nigerian businesses to the Ghanaian govt amounted to about a billion dollars. In African peace keeping missions, we contribute more in personnel logistics and finances. That is why Ojo Madueke was being pushed by the British to commit to the Zimbabwe course which he rightly declined.

Every 1 in 4 African is a Nigerian. We are Giants in all regards. The only problem we have is the epileptic power supply and the proper management of our resources. Many of us are poor. South Africa , The largest economy in Africa has the same problem. Nigeria may have failed us but let us not belittle who we are.

How many countries have the capacity to send electricity to neighboring nations. How many oil producing African countries, Angola (the largest oil producer in Africa inclusive), are able to catch the world's attention anytime our oil exploration is tampered with. Are we the only nation producing oil? are Sudan, Equatorial guinea, gabon , Libya etc not producing oil. Lets stop it.

Even this 419 issue, we have more internet fraud in many African countries. Our lack of any form of identity outside sometimes makes a foreigner claim to be a Nigerian. Beware because chances are that the fraudulent mail you received is from either Cote de Ivoire, Ghana or even Sierra Loene.

I am not paranoid, no. I am trying to set the records straight. If you have never traveled out, do so and you will discover that that naira you treat like rubbish is gold in some other country.

we have problems, That is correct, serious problems. Let's think of how to solve them than slash our necks with a knife only to wake up one day to discover; we were living in illusions due to our ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by darkgoddes(f): 10:17pm On Jun 14, 2009
I am happy with the points you raised and how you tackled it.

Nice one.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by ElRazur: 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2009
You points are flawed and biased. But I am too tired to post  any lengthy post tonight. On what basis are you measuring your gigantism? Is it a fair comparison across the board? Let me take them as it comes to my head.

1 in 4 African is a Nigerian. Right, what is this an indicative of? A populated nation with loads of people in diaspora? An over populated nation with little social economic structure to look after its citizen hence the high number? It could mean a wide range of stuff, but it is never an indicative of "Giantism" like you are trying to paint.

You are quick to label a few countries as whitewashed tombs, yet Nigeria to some would fall exactly into this category. That counter your argument. I mean it can even be argued that we have more slums than Ghana as we are relatively bigger. A fair comparison will be our well the citizen are taken care of in terms of Sociol economic structure?

A nation not having ATM makes them what exactly? Which country did you go, I will be interested in knowing this please. What do you mean ATM are not interconnected? You mean you cant use your VISA or Mastercard? Well it wont be the fault of these nations now or will it? But then, I will reserve my judgement until you let me know where you went.

Why is Kenya jealous of us? Do you have a proof of this? Kenya have a thriving tourist industries that makes Yankari game reserve a joke.

There are other nations doing other things for their neighbouring country that we do not hear off. Be it sending it troops to prop up a moderate government down to giving out aids and what not. I find it somewhat contradictory that you even mentioned "supply electricity to other nation". I mean, what kind of a giant ignores issues at home while sending solution to another country? Or is constant electricity not good enough for people at home?

As for 419, it appears to me you are trying to blame others for our actions. A real giant wont do that. lol

Look oga, I agree with you that we do have problems. However Nigeria is not the giant of Africa. All those silly "country motto" that sounds snazzy do not mean it is true. I mean, look at Abuja for example, it claims to be the heart beat of Nigeria or something. Erm most will disagree, the heart beat of Nigeria lies in places like Lagos and all these commercial city down in the igbo areas. You see, Nigeria laying claim to be a giant of Africa is just like that.

We do not have the technical know-how to claim these position, we may be populated, but it is not a pre-requisite for what makes us a giant.

I dont wanna make a long post jare.  smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by SkyBlue1: 10:35pm On Jun 14, 2009
soi:

I read a thread earlier, that had the question "Is Nigeria really the Giant of Africa." I was not amused when I saw most of what was written in that thread. If you want to know the truth, don't travel to UK, USA or any country of the west. Travel to Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana, Botswana etc.

Many countries in Africa are nothing but whitewashed tombs. Don't just visit those lush areas, go into the hinterlands. Go to our so called competitor called Ghana. Inside Accra, the capital city are Slumps, Villages where there is neither water nor light. Visit Lome, That one is a glorified village, Go to Congo. Stop visiting nice areas in some of these African countries and visit some other Areas.

I hated Nigeria with a passion until I went to some countries and found no ATM machine. In some that have ATM, they are not interconnected. Nigeria that you are insulting gives them loans and grants and some other form of aid. They depend on us for subsidized energy. We are the second largest economy in Africa after south Africa. We hold political power and will.

Many African nations like the Kenyans etc are jealous of us. We are more advanced than some lonely town like Gabon and some nations that are virtually Ghost towns. We have more human resources , we have more natural resources aside oil, Most of these nations are sustained by Nigerians. An example is Ghana. The amount of tax paid by Nigerian businesses to the Ghanaian govt amounted to about a billion dollars. In African peace keeping missions, we contribute more in personnel logistics and finances. That is why Ojo Madueke was being pushed by the British to commit to the Zimbabwe course which he rightly declined.

Every 1 in 4 African is a Nigerian. We are Giants in all regards. The only problem we have is the epileptic power supply and the proper management of our resources. Many of us are poor. South Africa , The largest economy in Africa has the same problem. Nigeria may have failed us but let us not belittle who we are.

How many countries have the capacity to send electricity to neighboring nations. How many oil producing African countries, Angola (the largest oil producer in Africa inclusive), are able to catch the world's attention anytime our oil exploration is tampered with. Are we the only nation producing oil? are Sudan, Equatorial guinea, gabon , Libya etc not producing oil. Lets stop it.

Even this 419 issue, we have more internet fraud in many African countries. Our lack of any form of identity outside sometimes makes a foreigner claim to be a Nigerian. Beware because chances are that the fraudulent mail you received is from either Cote de Ivoire, Ghana or even Sierra Loene.

I am not paranoid, no. I am trying to set the records straight. If you have never traveled out, do so and you will discover that that naira you treat like rubbish is gold in some other country.

we have problems, That is correct, serious problems. Let's think of how to solve them than slash our necks with a knife only to wake up one day to discover; we were living in illusions due to our ignorance.

If things continue going the way they are just give the issue highlighted in bold a year or so and at that point a Nigerian pipeline being blown up would be seen as insignificant news on the world stage. You state that there are other oil producing nations in Africa without pointing out that until of recent Nigeria was the biggest oil exporting country in Africa and the seventh largest in the world. Can you imagine the potential? 1 in 4 Africans are Nigerians, and what has that resulted in? The Japanese are known for their hardwork and the Chinese and Indians are already converting their huge population to a huge resource, what has Nigeria done with its population? The power situation is it new? Nigeria cannot provide Energy for itself and it is exporting electricity and you see that as sensibility or big brother mentality as opposed to stupidity? The Ghana you berate was able to hold credible general elections, when last did Nigeria handle that? Nigeria that even struggles to hold credible Local Government Elections? How many African countries have held credible elections and where does Nigeria the "Giant of Africa" come on the list?

The sad part is that people seem to link development to structures and such that is why you see cases of governors with good intentions (at times) going abroad and coming back to build the structures they see abroad meanwhile disregarding or failing to take into account the systems put in place that make such developments thrive and function properly.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by ElRazur: 10:37pm On Jun 14, 2009
Nice one sky blue.

Angola do not attract any news headline because they have their house in order.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Abrantie: 10:39pm On Jun 14, 2009
De-nial is a river in Egypt. Your Naija ego is so gigantic, as in GIANT smiley, the existing thread was too small for you hah?
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by ElRazur: 10:40pm On Jun 14, 2009
Abrantie:

[b]De-nial is a river in Egypt. [/b]Your Naija ego is so gigantic, as in GIANT smiley the existing thread was too small for you hah?

grin He don tay wey I hear that one. grin
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by RevMallam: 10:41pm On Jun 14, 2009
Greetings,
I am a Nigerian, but I don't live in Nigeria. I have spent most of my adult live abroad  in the so called developed world. I can tell you that you hit the nail on the head.
But as the saying goes, we always think the grass is greener on the other side. In my  opinion and based on what I have seen in USA and Britain and a host of other countries I have been to, the  primary problem facing Nigeria is attitude and gross mis-information. Those who compare Nigeria to Ghana and other tiny countries are either disingenuous or have never left their backyards, but until we change our attitude, we will keep on believing the grass is greener on the other side.
Even with our epileptic power supply, no African country compares to Nigeria and I don't live in Nigeria, but I have been around.
cheers,
revmallam
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OYBMEND: 10:44pm On Jun 14, 2009
Blind patriotism

My country right or wrong, if your country is right keep right, if your country is wrong make it right

I think right now Soi is keeping the country wrong
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by tunku(m): 10:45pm On Jun 14, 2009
Revmallam with your patriotic faith that Nigeria is indeed heading in the right decision why haven't your pack up from the west and went back home? Oh no do you have some medication that you take that isn't readily available in Nigeria? Can you go months on end with power anymore? What about a working toilet? Are you ready to shit and chuck? What about water? Can you drink unprocessed water anymore without falling ill? Oh no, if you don't go back to the hinterlands and just stay in Lagos and Abuja I guess you don't have to worry about these problems.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OneNaija(m): 11:06pm On Jun 14, 2009
@tunku You just say the foolish post here in Nairaland.

Revmallam with your patriotic faith that Nigeria is indeed heading in the right decision why haven't your pack up from the west and went back home? Oh no do you have some medication that you take that isn't readily available in Nigeria? Can you go months on end with power anymore? What about a working toilet? Are you ready to shit and chuck? What about water? Can you drink unprocessed water anymore without falling ill? Oh no, if you don't go back to the hinterlands and just stay in Lagos and Abuja I guess you don't have to worry about these problems.

Why aren't Chinese in America pack their things to China.aren't their House in order.Get some sense Nigeria Hater
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by tunku(m): 11:12pm On Jun 14, 2009
When did I say the foolish post here? Mmmph, I find it funny that all these super patriots are living outside of Nigeria or are living it up in Lagos and they talk about going into the hinterlands of other African countries. I am not a Nigerian hater, if you like the way Nigeria is just say so and I wouldn't fault you on that. But to say that Nigeria is a great nation is a fucking stretch and you know it. So what are you doing in Accra if Nigeria is such a great nation?
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by ElRazur: 11:13pm On Jun 14, 2009
Tunku, do not feed the troll. smiley Just remember that and it would save you load of hassle around here.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Bialegend(m): 11:37pm On Jun 14, 2009
The thread opener, soil or what ever he calls himself and the other guy that calls himself mallamrev are idiots of the highest order. Nigeria a giant laughing stock. These fools think that being big enough is the reason for labeling a country giant. Then China would have been giant of the world. Visit Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana, Botswana of which i myself have already visited and more.
Those places especially Togo, Benin, Ghana and Botswana can boast of constant water supply and electricity, good road networks, better public transport system, security, which are some of the basic things that any populace need first before other things. All these mentioned can not be said in a positive way about your luggard's cage nigeria and you still wallow in the euphoria of giantism? Primitive people northern nigerians that will always wish for the status quo to remain same coming here to praise their epileptic country as functioning and giant. Nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by RevMallam: 11:44pm On Jun 14, 2009
tunku:

To answer your question, well I can not pack up and leave because, that would be foolish of me because I have a lot of investments here in US but I also have lots of investments in Nigeria. Though I live in the US, Nigeria is always a flight away and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future for me. So let me ask you, why do we have more than 800,000 Americans in Nigeria or almost 1.5 million Indians or 1 million Chinese , British etc in Nigeria? Are these people not from "paradise" in your opinion? Fact is, people like you will only see the negative and whine and complain, but others, including these immigrants I mentioned see opportunities.
Each time I arrive in Nigeria, what I see is opportunities to make money while people like you whine and complain.
Nigeria is NOT perfect. Nigeria  has lots of problems, so do the US, Britain  and those countries you praise.
Have you visited Alabama, Lousiana and most of the US states outside of the Big ones?
I was recently in Los Angeles, and believe it or not, there beggars all over the place.  The truth is, once you go outside the big cities of the US,  and go past the shiny towers, rural US is not very different from rural Nigeria. They have private wells, Out houses(shit  holes or toilets), unpaved holes etc.
So you can believe what you want, but I had a job that allowed me to travel around the US and I know what I saw and have pictures to prove it.
Ask anyone honest enough and they will confirm it, just don't ask those that have spent all their time in the big cities and paint unrealistic pictures that don't really exist.
YES, Nigeria is NOT perfect, but it is an Investor's dream. By the way, CNBC the largest financial Network here in the US has been running a show on Investing in Nigeria and the  huge rewards. These shows have been on now for the past week, so believe what you want, but the facts are that, perfection is an illusion and those things you mentioned happen in other countries too.
Did you know that Iran, the second largest Oil producer in the world Imports Petrol and rations it? The way people like you have, it only happens in Nigeria.
Revmallam
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OneNaija(m): 11:52pm On Jun 14, 2009
Please Guys don't even Mention Light in Ghana anymore.Nigeria is facing Light problem while Ghana is following Nigeria footstep since this so call Ghana President took over and come to think of it,I will like to know If you Guys has Visit this places in Ghana, Kumasi and Cape Coast and Northern Region to see how those Peoples living there facing Light problem and poverty level.Ghana have never put their House in Order which they are trying to do.All you Guys heard about Ghana is Accra.I will advice you guy to go through Ghana web yourself and see what Ghana is facing. Let work together and put our house together than throwing Insult on her

@tunku I was working in Lagos Before I was transfer to Accra to Assist them.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by RevMallam: 11:54pm On Jun 14, 2009
Bialegend:

The thread opener, soil or what ever he calls himself and the other guy that calls himself mallamrev are idiots of the highest order. Nigeria a giant laughing stock. These fools think that being big enough is the reason for labeling a country giant. Then China would have been giant of the world. Visit Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Congo, Ghana, Botswana of which i myself have already visited and more.
Those places especially Togo, Benin, Ghana and Botswana can boast of constant water supply and electricity, good road networks, better public transport system, security, which are some of the basic things that any populace need first before other things. All these mentioned can not be said in a positive way about your luggard's cage nigeria and you still wallow in the euphoria of giantism? Primitive people northern nigerians that will always wish for the status quo to remain same coming here to praise their epileptic country as functioning and giant. Nonsense.

Idiots are people like you who call people they have not and may NEVER meet, names and you sound like an uneducated slowpoke to me. Intelligent people do not resort to name calling to argue their points. Though I am not from the North, what makes you believe that you are civilized and Northerners are primitive? Can you define civilization and tell us why you are civilized and Northerners are not?
Don't you see what you are, a bigoted, self centered, irrational slowpoke devoid of any logical thinking?
revmallam
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OYBMEND: 12:02am On Jun 15, 2009
Bialegend

change ur geography textbooks

There is no where recognised as Biafra anywhere in the World

The South East politicians wear green+white+ gren pendants not hal+of+a+yellow+sun

Just wake up to reality
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by tunku(m): 12:05am On Jun 15, 2009
I would like Nigeria to have Ghana's problems when it comes to electricity at least that would be a huge improvement. out of 364/5 days they provide 24/7 electricity for over a third of the year. I am well aware of Ghana shedding problems and the need to expand power generation, but with Ghana you know that they will do it, Nigeria has been trying and failing for as long as I can remember. Outside of major metropolitan centers you are lucky to get two hours of uninterrupted power. I remember being without power for three months and when it did comeback it was for one hour.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OneNaija(m): 12:11am On Jun 15, 2009
Ghana is very small compare to Nigeria with large Ethnic Group.The city in Accra is very small compare to Port harcourt. You can never compare Ghana to Nigeria because Nigeria and Ghana are not mate despite they are the first country to gain Independence my dear.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Abrantie: 12:50am On Jun 15, 2009
We are having growing pains in Ghana (Accra to be exact) because Naija crews done move in with 1500 watt air conditioners, switched on 24/7 like say they commot from Iceland. Due to that, transformers in part of the city are overloaded or blown up. They are currently being replaced to higher capacity ones. Our government recently ordered utility providers to increase service provisioning and customer satisfaction. It may not be speedy, but it will be done because we have the system in place to address such issues.

My village enjoys 24/7 electricity with rare interruptions.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by udezue(m): 1:10am On Jun 15, 2009
Nigeria being the GIANT won't change the fact that the country FUCKEDDD UP so all these arguments won't make a difference. Other nations are moving forward the GIANTS, the MIDGETS and the AVERAGE. Even the skinny and the obese nations.

What is Nigeria doing? Taking its citizens back to the cave man era hence we have so many of our people all over the world.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Bialegend(m): 1:19am On Jun 15, 2009
OneNaija:

Ghana is very small compare to Nigeria with large Ethnic Group.The city in Accra is very small compare to Port harcourt. You can never compare Ghana to Nigeria because Nigeria and Ghana are not mate despite they are the first country to gain Independence my dear.
Illiterate comment at it's best. Singapore is one million times better than your luggard's cage nigeria and Singapore is far smaller than Ghana in size and population.
Ok, China and India are bigger than USA and therefore both are better countries than USA according to your analog. My fren make use of your brain before coming out in the open to type rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OYBMEND: 1:24am On Jun 15, 2009
Bialegend:

Illiterate comment at it's best. Singapore is one million times better than your luggard's cage nigeria and Singapore is far smaller than Ghana in size and population.
Ok, China and India are bigger than USA and therefore both are better countries than USA according to your analog. My fren make use of your brain before coming out in the open to type rubbish.

fool
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Bialegend(m): 1:29am On Jun 15, 2009
RevMallam:

Idiots are people like you who call people they have not and may NEVER meet, names and you sound like an uneducated slowpoke to me. Intelligent people do not resort to name calling to argue their points. Though I am not from the North, what makes you believe that you are civilized and Northerners are primitive? Can you define civilization and tell us why you are civilized and Northerners are not?
Don't you see what you are, a bigoted, self centered, irrational slowpoke devoid of any logical thinking?
revmallam
I don't need to meet nor know you physically to know that you are a moronic ewu awusa from northern nigeria. Civilized and northern nigerians doesn't fall in same sentence. Opening such moronic thread and praising a failed state like nigeria as giant of Africa and alleviating it over countries like Benin Rep., Togo, Ghana and Botswana have already made you a blind patriotic fool.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Bialegend(m): 1:31am On Jun 15, 2009
OYB_MEND:

Bialegend

change ur geography textbooks

There is no where recognised as Biafra anywhere in the World

The South East politicians wear green+white+ gren pendants not hal+of+a+yellow+sun

Just wake up to reality
Yoruba, which one be your own sef? Go and organize your partners for next week looting of Igbo shops at Alaba.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by soi(m): 8:40pm On Jun 15, 2009
Gentlemen, I have taken my time to go through the thread.  Apart from Rev Mallam and a few others, some of us don't get my point.
We Nigerians ought to understand that we may not be reaping the benefits of our being giants. However that does not mean that we are not giants.

The fact that you don't have water to flush your toilet does not mean you are the only person going through that plight. I repeat, most of the African countries are white washed tombs. We can't compare ourselves to them in any way and in any form.

I have traveled to almost  40 of the fifty African countries. Presently, I live in Ghana. I know for a fact that the Ghana you so dream of is nothing compared to our beloved naija. I wonder which part of Village Togo has water. They don't even have tarred roads. Talk of congo, gabon etc. Nigeria has greater advantages , amenities and opportunities. Even our currency is a very strong one in value.

I want someone who has traveled around Africa to respond. If you haven't touched an African Nation, then don't bother because you don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by vigasimple(m): 9:02pm On Jun 15, 2009
soi:

Gentlemen, I have taken my time to go through the thread.  Apart from Rev Mallam and a few others, some of us don't get my point.
[b]We Nigerians ought to understand that we may not be reaping the benefits of our being giants. However that does not mean that we are not giants.[/b]The fact that you don't have water to flush your toilet does not mean you are the only person going through that plight. I repeat, most of the African countries are white washed tombs. We can't compare ourselves to them in any way and in any form.

I have traveled to almost  40 of the fifty African countries. Presently, I live in Ghana. I know for a fact that the Ghana you so dream of is nothing compared to our beloved naija. I wonder which part of Village Togo has water. They don't even have tarred roads. Talk of congo, gabon etc. Nigeria has greater advantages , amenities and opportunities. Even our currency is a very strong one in value.

I want someone who has traveled around Africa to respond. If you haven't touched an African Nation, then don't bother because you don't know what you are talking about.

I have posted my previous posting here for the original poster to read. From his own assesment, what he is basically saying is that, IN THE LAND OF THE BLIND, ONE EYED MAN IS THE KING.

let me say to you as  clearly as possible, even that ONE EYED MAN  is very blurred  with his vision, and theerfore more dangerous than a  person without eyes., You may have travelled to some near hopeless country in Africa, but majority of Northern African country, south African are miles better than Nigeria, and they don't start running their mouths to say that they are the giant of Africa.

It is wishful thinking, an illusion. Yes , we would like to be the giant of africa, BUT we are not yet there. Period.

This is the copy of my previous posting;

The greatest LIABILITY of a foolishman is SELF DENIAL and for a wiseman, he will celebrate with the fool knowing fully well that everything else to him(the wiseman) is an ASSET.

The owner of a SLAVE owns not only him but the SLAVE assets.

NIGERIA IS THE PROVERBIAL FOOLISHMAN who live in self denial.   We are not even the Giant of West Africa, Yes we have the potential, but that means Nothing until the potentials are harnessed.

Unfortunately if you have  YAR A'CLUELESS we don't need to worry anymore we will continue to be in SELF DENIAL  with 7 POINTLESS AGENDA, VISIONLESS 2020 and  DIVERSION 'SELECTION 2011'

The truth hurts but it never changes to be the truth. Major Road linking the business capital(lagos) with East and some other part of the country are in shambles, no new ones are built neither are they repaired.

The servant leader spent 2 years in ASO ROCK and still continue to study his handover files, trying to do on the job learning/training.

I said it before and I will say it again, If the office of the President is
YAR A'LIARS  fathers business will he employ himself as an employee to run the busness while doing on the job learning.

HOPE is the only thing remaining for Nigeria, otherwise there is nothing left from idioits calling themselves politicians.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OneNaija(m): 12:42am On Jun 16, 2009
Nigeria My Ass.Bleep da country
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by OneNaija(m): 12:43am On Jun 16, 2009
Fu ck Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by SkyBlue1: 1:38am On Jun 16, 2009
soi:

We Nigerians ought to understand that we may not be reaping the benefits of our being giants. However that does not mean that we are not giants.

The fact that you don't have water to flush your toilet does not mean you are the only person going through that plight. I repeat, most of the African countries are white washed tombs. We can't compare ourselves to them in any way and in any form.

I have traveled to almost  40 of the fifty African countries. Presently, I live in Ghana. I know for a fact that the Ghana you so dream of is nothing compared to our beloved naija. I wonder which part of  Village Togo has water. They don't even have tarred roads. Talk of congo, gabon etc. Nigeria has greater advantages , amenities and opportunities. Even our currency is a very strong one in value.

Your arguements don't take the whole of Africa into consideration and present a myopic view of Africa, its actually a tad funny responding. I tried to avoid naming countries earlier hoping you would actually look at the continent more closely but I guess that is what we should do so we can put this "Giant of Africa" thing to a rest.

Firstly, the only way your comparisons would become viable to qualify Nigeria as the Giant of Africa is if you mean subsaharan Africa, have you ever been to egypt? Ever seen Cairo? What about Libya? Tunisia? Morroco? I won't go on and I hope I don't have to go beyond naming those countries. If want more info just do a basic research at best.

Now let us look at subsaharan africa, again that "Giant" status only remains valid if you ignore south africa. Fair enough, you could argue its not really a "black" nation. What about Botswana? Botswana with its relatively small size has a world respected economy that has shown constant growth and stability. There has also been political stability, the systems work and the institutions of the nation are healthy and functioning, that is development. If we are to even step things down a notch, look at cote d'ivoire.

Am I saying Nigeria hasn't got the potential to be a world player and indeed a Giant? Of course not and I believe it easily can. However what is irritating is when people equate potential to what is actually on ground, it is irritating because a lot of people have used it as a justification for resting on their oars and making themselves feel better. The reality of the situation on the ground is different from the perceived potential and if anything shouting "potential Giant" shouldn't make anyone proud, it should make Nigerians ashamed that after over 4 decades of independence it is still potential we are boasting about. How embarassing. From all accounts of your post it seems you ignored quite a few countries before the Giant status you proposed for Nigeria was concluded.
Re: Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa by Kobojunkie: 1:49am On Jun 16, 2009
soi:

Gentlemen, I have taken my time to go through the thread. Apart from Rev Mallam and a few others, some of us don't get my point.
Actually it does! A Potential giant is not a giant, Just as a man who has access to millions by birth but chooses to become a homeless druggie is not considered a successful, established man. Roflmao!!
Potential does not a Giant make.

soi:

You are right! We cannot compare ourselves to the rest of Africa consider we have over 4 times the
a) Population (man power)
b) Resources (gold, aluminum, oil, land coal etc)
c) Educated minds
than most of the African countries can boast of.

soi:

I have traveled to almost 40 of the fifty African countries. Presently, I live in Ghana. I know for a fact that the Ghana you so dream of is nothing compared to our beloved naija. I wonder which part of Village Togo has water. They don't even have tarred roads. Talk of congo, gabon etc. Nigeria has greater advantages , amenities and opportunities. Even our currency is a very strong one in value.
Can you really say for a fact that when compared, Nigeria has more villages with water than Togo does? I mean you do know Nigeria has almost 10 times more villages than Togo does?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Possible Solutions - Poverty Alleviation And Developments In Nigeria / br / Arabic Inscription On Nigerian Army Logo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.