Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,713 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:20 AM

Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled (22799 Views)

Afraid He May Have Been Swindled On Aliexpress. / Offloading Of Dollars Triggers Massive Naira Appreciation At Parallel Market / Swindled By A GTB Staff: Please Advise! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by lacicrips(m): 9:24am On Jun 15, 2009
Where can I buy dollars in Lagos without being swindled?

Thanks.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by ifyalways(f): 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2009
Mallams and aboki.Go meet them,bid and bargain,If theres an agreement,collect the mallams number.Go to a bank(u have an acct with),call the mallam to come there with ur naira equivalence.He wud pay in the naira into ur acct while u give him his $.That way,u wont be short changed or given fake/magic money. cheesy
mallams full airport,Ikeja etc.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by ifyalways(f): 1:15pm On Jun 15, 2009
Oh shit,my bad.
are u buying dollars or exchanging to N   The body and topic of the thread are diffrent.
anyways,my above post stands if u wanna exchange $ to N.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by lacicrips(m): 1:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
I'm buying, and not selling.

Thanks.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Recognise: 10:47pm On Jun 21, 2009
Good reason to be concerned. Dont blame ya for asking . . .

[size=16pt]Why We Are Into Currency Faking Business - Robbers[/size]
Tunde Oyekola, Osogbo - 20.06.2009

A five-member fake currency syndicate smashed on Monday in Osogbo by the Osun State Police Command said that they were in the business of selling fake currency because it was lucrative.

The 24-year-old Saheed Ibiyemi, who said that he spent N25,000 to buy N125,000 fake currency at N200 per N1,000 notes at Oluwole in Lagos, added that he had been operating in Abuja before coming down to Osogbo.

Saheed, who admitted that he had been in the business of buying fake currency for sometime when he could not secure a job, stated that “it is a lucrative business and I have been making a living from it. I buy fake currency from a man who introduced me to the business at Oluwole in Lagos.”

When reminded that Oluwole was no longer existing in that it had been dismantled by the government, Saheed said that “Oluwole is still existing because people still transact business in the place under cover.”

Saheed and Friday Irabor 25, both from Edo State, were apprehended at Aromole Area, Oja - Oba in Osogbo while attempting to spend fake naira notes while the other three members, Friday Irabor 25, Amidu Kashimawo, 24 and Sunday Bright Marcus, 26, were caught at Peter Ajibola Street, Alekuwodo, where they bought a N100 recharge card with N1,000 fake naira note.

for SOURCE: Click here
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by emma2999: 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2009
Never use the services of the Yoruba  and NON Hausa exchangers in Ikeja ( on Allen, Awolowo, Airport) etc. Dont get me wrong, I am Yoruba 100%.
Only deal with the authentic Hausa Mallams inside Alade Market.
All the exchangers in front of Airport Hotel in Ikeja are scammers.ALL OF THEM.The Police know, and everyone who lives there. They will scam you in any of the following ways:
Give you fake dollars back after checking your dollar.
Give you fake naira.
Give you less naira than you should get.
Use juju on you ( I mean real juju).
Beat you up after shouting " Ole" on you.
Ifyalways method is great, meet at the bank and have him pay to your bank.

2 Likes

Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by damola1: 10:55pm On Jun 21, 2009
emma2999:

Never use the services of the Yoruba  and NON Hausa exchangers in Ikeja ( on Allen, Awolowo, Airport) etc. Dont get me wrong, I am Yoruba 100%.
Only deal with the authentic Hausa Mallams inside Alade Market.
All the exchangers in front of Airport Hotel in Ikeja are scammers.ALL OF THEM.The Police know, and everyone who lives there. They will scam you in any of the following ways:
Give you fake dollars back after checking your dollar.
Give you fake naira.
Give you less naira than you should get.
Use juju on you ( I mean real juju).
Beat you up after shouting " Ole" on you.
Ifyalways method is great, meet at the bank and have him pay to your bank.

Bros, I bow for you oh,

Haba!!!, my most trusted partners to exchange are the YORUBAS, Office inside of Airport hotel, so chill, I really bow for you oh,

There's only one rule whenever you trade for dollars, whether $1 or $1M, never buy on roadside, simply walk into a shop and buy, simple, follow this rule, and you will never have a problem, you can walk in with N10M like some people do, and come out with your $$$ without any hitches,

3 Likes

Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by reindeer: 11:22pm On Jun 21, 2009
Whatever Happened to the beaureaux de change?
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by chuqudy(m): 11:47pm On Jun 21, 2009
reindeer:

Whatever Happened to the beaureaux de change?

I no nooo
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by luvinhubby(m): 1:50am On Jun 22, 2009
lacicrips:

Where can I buy dollars in Lagos without being swindled?

Thanks.
Hajj camp, sabo yaba, Alade market etc. `cos established markets have unions that regulate it`s memebers, go into a decent office, negotiate and buy from the office, insist they stamp the $ for you with their company stamp.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Wellas14(m): 2:38am On Jun 22, 2009
What on earth happened to BUREAU DE CHANGES scattered all over the town. On Allen, everywhere. I use Bureau DE Change to avoid stories. Even MMIA, there are BUREAU DE CHANGE offices there. Why do people dont learn from the mistakes of others angry
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by okokomeji: 7:05am On Jun 22, 2009
@damola1… I feel u, but never forget that different people with different experiences. I have exchanged dollars for local currency more than 50 times in Yaba and they were all predominantly Hausas and trustworthy, also because I went straight to their offices.

If you mistakenly go to Broad street behind the resurrected Savannah Bank and you don’t talk to Hausas and decide to meet the Yoruba Agbero boys a.k.a area boys, bros, believe me your money is gone. How do they catch their preys? If Malam changes for $1 to 120 naira, they would make it 125 naira so that you will be happy to transact with them, collect your money and change it to fake or given at rate way below expected. After they asked you to leave and you think Police or anybody will rescue you out, you are on your own. A lot of street orchins in Lagos Mainland are doing this for living. You will always see them behind Savannah Bank stroke CMS bookshop.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by okokomeji: 7:10am On Jun 22, 2009
@emma2999… Don’t be so conclusive, for the fact that some Yoruba scumbags deal in illegitimate does not portray all Yoruba Bereau de change as untrustworthy. Mind you Hausas can dupe you too.

1 Like

Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by otukpo(f): 9:20am On Jun 22, 2009
what Ifyalways suggested is the best way to do it when buying Naira. But if u are buying dollars, its better done with a well established trusted bureau de change. Even Hausa dealer can scam u. there are so many mallams changing money that shld better be seen as armed robbers. Even at the in'l airport, the mallam there can scam u. U'll agree to a rate, after giving u the money and u have counted, they will start saying sth else b4 u know it, u'll leave there and find out that ur money is not complete. Am talking from my own experience. At Airport Hotel, the story is the same. Dont ever trust Hausa mallams that they are good. A firend discussed changing money with an Hausa dealer one day, He delayed bringing the money until abt 4pm, the friend told him to leave it till 2moro as he wont be able to take the money to the bank dt day. In the night, they came and burgled the friend's shop, searched for the money, opened evry dam thing in his shop, but they didnt get it. Uptil today, the mallam has disappered from that particular location. Scammers are on broad street, they wld give u fake and there is nothing u can do. So whenever u are doing any currency biz with anybody, whether hausa or yoruba, Shine ur eyes.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Jerjens: 9:59am On Jun 22, 2009
come to Abuja change anywhere, grin
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by dominictj(m): 11:05am On Jun 22, 2009
Security firm in naija de support fraud. wao
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by JJYOU: 11:35am On Jun 22, 2009
otukpo:

what Ifyalways suggested is the best way to do it when buying Naira. But if u are buying dollars, its better done with a well established trusted bureau de change. Even Hausa dealer can scam u. there are so many mallams changing money that shld better be seen as armed robbers. Even at the in'l airport, the mallam there can scam u. U'll agree to a rate, after giving u the money and u have counted, they will start saying sth else b4 u know it, u'll leave there and find out that ur money is not complete. Am talking from my own experience. At Airport Hotel, the story is the same. Dont ever trust Hausa mallams that they are good. A firend discussed changing money with an Hausa dealer one day, He delayed bringing the money until abt 4pm, the friend told him to leave it till 2moro as he wont be able to take the money to the bank dt day. In the night, they came and burgled the friend's shop, searched for the money, opened evry dam thing in his shop, but they didnt get it. Uptil today, the mallam has disappered from that particular location. Scammers are on broad street, they wld give u fake and there is nothing u can do. So whenever u are doing any currency biz with anybody, whether hausa or yoruba, Shine ur eyes.
SHINE YOUR EYES INDEED
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by koolchicco: 4:42pm On Jun 22, 2009
Jerjens:

come to Abuja change anywhere, grin

NA SOOO BROS.THATS WHY I COULDNT COMMENT ON THIS ISSUE COS I ALWAYS BUY/SELL IN ABUJA WITH NO SKIN PAIN!!!!! grin grin
ONCE I EXCHANGED SOME POUNDS WHILST I WAS ON OKADA AND IT WAS STILL COOL. tongue grin grin
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by mamagee3(f): 6:45pm On Jun 22, 2009
Don't go to Lagos, come to Imo state tongue
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by rasputinn(m): 8:04pm On Jun 22, 2009
otukpo:

[color=#770077]what Ifyalways suggested is the best way to do it when buying Naira.

Sure man,whether buying dollars,euro or pound sterling,I just go straight to my bank,where my mallam will be waiting for me,saves you a lotta wahala,not just the faker's ,but some over zealous policeman could waste your time and attract attention to you
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Ccomputers(m): 10:14pm On Jun 22, 2009
Dear All,

Pls what the current exchange rate of naira to dollar now?
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by sley4life(m): 11:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
You can change $ anywhere in lag. Around the airport you have lots of them. You can also get around the federal palace hotel. Just walk into any bureau de exchange get one of the mallams to follow u to the bank and change it for you there and tell him to hold on while you pay it into your account so that your naira wont disappear.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Ndipe(m): 2:34am On Jun 23, 2009
I am just shocked by the swindling acts at changing currency. This is an eyeopener! Not worth the risk, especially at night. For daytime, maybe. I might as well hold onto my money till I get to my hometown.

1 Like

Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by nigboy(m): 4:38am On Jun 23, 2009
Just be careful while trying to make any change
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by Epiphany(m): 12:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
Dude, i have been changing dollars, pounds and euro's in Federal Palace and Eko Meridien for years and i can say that the mallams there are quite honest - although i have build up some rapport with them. VI, being the area in Lagos concentrated with expats and foreigners, is an ideal place to change money with very little hassles

I would suggest that you go there - try one of the hotels there, collect the mallams number and move to another hotel. Compare the rates and go with the one you feel is better for you. Once you have their phone numbers, you can also start building your own rapport. Eventually, you will find out that you can even call them from Ikeja, when you need to change money urgently, and they will come over to meet you - instead of you going to meet them.
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by bolagun12(f): 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
jusyt be v carefull
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by etauso(m): 4:49am On Jun 25, 2009
Come to Calabar, anywhere u can change, all r genuine, u can change in Bogobri with Mallams or even with Soya sellers around your house, all r genuine
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by nnemak(m): 12:45pm On Jan 20, 2015
current exchange?
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by internetguru1: 5:07pm On Jun 17, 2016
Dear sir,
I have good news for all Nigerians that do business in America and have America bank account or know some one that has.in other to assist in facilitating business between Nigerians and American, we have developed a partnership with some oil and gas businessmen and women who have clean funds in the state and can use such to assist Nigerians in America to pay for mortgages, Holiday, School Fees and business. The finds are clean and the Nigerian or the American paying into your account will imput his details after paying and you could call on your own and confirm. They will enter into the bank and make payment inside bank and not from the system as done by some. This usually is fraud and before you know it the money will be recalled by the owner of the account. In other to avoid such incident let us handle your offshore transaction. The rate per $ is 340. Per $. Please call David on 08063978457 so I can explain further.
Cheers
David
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by neocortex: 2:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
internetguru1:
Dear sir,

I know that its sometimes hard to get people who are honest especially now that the Dollars as risen so high against the Naira and many people will do anything to make a big hit. However there are still some of us we are legitimate and can give you Dollars at a good price and without hassles. please call David on 08129128742 and you will be please you did Ok?

Do you buy or sell dollars ?
Re: Where To Exchange Dollars In Lagos Without Being Swindled by internetguru1: 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Dear friend,
As the summer approaches a lot of us that have account in the us would appreciate that their us bank Acc gets funded and this will help in doing the normal mortgage payments,shopping,school fees and other stuffs. To ease this stress we have arrange finds at a extremely fantastic rate of 345/ $ clean funds please. We would want an wahala as a result of bad funds .please call me on 08063978457 or 08156414958 for more details.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Hits All-Time Low Of ₦1,152/$1 In Black Market / Buhari, Emefiele, And Cabal Plot To Seize CBN / Share Your Loan Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.