Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,575 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow (28546 Views)

10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job / Complete Resume Reference Guide You Must Follow / Must References Appear In Every CV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Handsome1: 12:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
There have been tons and tons of How-tos on crafting a winning CV that will be just too perfect to be ignored by potential employers. Now, that’s all good stuff. But as with every form of knowledge, there is a basic, rudimentary and golden rule upon which the entire body lies. That one thing you can say is unarguable – the truth (if there’s any such thing).
As far as writing a great CV is concerned, there’s just ONE GOLDEN RULE..not two or three, just ONE: “If it will not help you get that job, don’t put it in your CV.”

Now this may go off as a no-brainer, but you really have to see a typical CV of a job applicant in Nigeria to appreciate the wisdom laden in this statement. Details like marital status, state of origin, religion, ethnic group, LGA of origin etc will not help you get a job. If anything, they will greatly hurt your chances of even landing an interview.

How so? There are number of reasons, but I’ll stick to one which I think you may easily relate to. While merit is a major factor in recruitment, we cannot overlook individual sentiments and differences in the different choices of employers and recruiters. Different people have different predilection, and sensitive details such as where you come from, what religion you profess, your marital status, tribe, age and co should be completely removed from your CV. I hope you catch the drift. In addition, these details have nothing to do with your skills, experiences and ability to deliver on the job, so why add them to your CV.

There are other factors that you must consider in crafting a great CV, but this one rule is essential.

Cc: Lalasticlala

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by berbs112(m): 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Irrelevant details.. Smiles

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
You People just like disturbing . Draft your CV the way you want and stop trying to convince People to follow a Particular template. na by force?

Recently attended an Interview where I was asked questions Like:
How many People make up your family?
are you the first child?
what extra-curricula activities do you engage in?

just goes to show that sometimes giving employers a sneak peek into your social background won't necessarily be a bad idea

there's nothing wrong if you state your marital status or age in your CV, just try to keep it as concise as Possible. When it comes to CVS I'ld say you should Be Creative, Be Unique, Don't be straight-jacketed

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
CV is more of protocol and doesn't get one the job. Experience, Qualification, Performance during interview & Luck are among the many factors that get one a job.

RUBBISH POST angry

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by OnankpaBa(m): 3:48pm On Jan 04, 2016
good
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by labi6: 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
Wow...fp and third in line....almost there...like if you know you will be here and pass here....
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Renciababy01: 3:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
Thanks 4 sharing.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by BiggerBangs: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
grin
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by labi6: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hmm...
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by siegfried99(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
OK

Kontinu grin

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by vicostyles(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ok
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Akshow: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
K
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by barackosama(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
Abegi... if your time never reach, egbon OP bone CV!!! cheesy

8 Likes

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by madgoat(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Greenbullet(m): 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
op is very correct especially marital status,most employees want single workers in order to improve output.a word is enough for the wise or a rule.

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Apostlelong(m): 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
did u just talk about age. oga put age o

2 Likes

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nihilist: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
You People just like disturbing . Draft your CV the way you want and stop trying to convince People to follow a Particular template. na by force?
are you the first child?
just goes to show that sometimes giving employers a sneak peek into your social background won't necessarily be a bad idea
there's nothing wrong if you state your marital status or age in your CV, just try to keep it as concise as Possible. When it comes to CVS I'ld say you should Be Creative, Be Unique, Don't be straight-jacketed

The layout and content of your CV determines the kind of interview offers you get(if any)

With the advice you've just given, I'm not surprised at the kind of questions you were facing at your last interview.
Any company that even looks at the kind of CV you've suggested is probably scraping the bottom of the barrel for cheap labour anyway...

3 Likes

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by GreatManBee: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
Handsome1:
There have been tons and tons of How-tos on crafting a winning CV that will be just too perfect to be ignored by potential employers. Now, that’s all good stuff. But as with every form of knowledge, there is a basic, rudimentary and golden rule upon which the entire body lies. That one thing you can say is unarguable – the truth (if there’s any such thing).
As far as writing a great CV is concerned, there’s just ONE GOLDEN RULE..not two or three, just ONE: “If it will not help you get that job, don’t put it in your CV.”

Now this may go off as a no-brainer, but you really have to see a typical CV of a job applicant in Nigeria to appreciate the wisdom laden in this statement. Details like marital status, state of origin, religion, ethnic group, LGA of origin etc will not help you get a job. If anything, they will greatly hurt your chances of even landing an interview.

How so? There are number of reasons, but I’ll stick to one which I think you may easily relate to. While merit is a major factor in recruitment, we cannot overlook individual sentiments and differences in the different choices of employers and recruiters. Different people have different predilection, and sensitive details such as where you come from, what religion you profess, your marital status, tribe, age and co should be completely removed from your CV. I hope you catch the drift. In addition, these details have nothing to do with your skills, experiences and ability to deliver on the job, so why add them to your CV.

There are other factors that you must consider in crafting a great CV, but this one rule is essential.

Cc: Lalasticlala
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by living2013(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:

are you the first child?

why do you seem to be so aggresive like this? If you are not interested with the information the guy is trying to convey, why not jump and pass than trying to discourage others that may need it. No knowledge is a waste!

For the past five years, I have received a lot of CVs from people that want me to rewrite them. If you look @ some of the CVs, you won't be patient enough to read them for 7 secs. So, there are people that still need this message.

Lastly, putting marital status and date of birth is not that advisable especially DOB. Some people have lost job opportunities because of this. You can not generalize your experience. If an employer preferred a candidate that is single and you put married on your CV, there are possibilities that your cv may not scale through. The same thing is applicable if your age on the cv is identified to be above the employer's preferrence.

However, there is no specific format for writing cv but there are some certain things you must not put on your cv for the sake of filling the whole pages. Before you include things like age, marital status e.t.c, you must ensure that they are recommended by the prospective employer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by MzzTega(f): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
Very informative. Thanks op.
All those who commented with smiley are to lazy to read hence the face.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by otijah(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
@op am working with Diamond bank currently as a full staff, and almost 70percent of those things u mentioned were in my CV
The thing is if God wants to make a way for u at d appointed time, not even discrepancies in ur CV can stop u

9 Likes

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by menix(m): 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Oga OP, I agree with you to some extent but removing age is a No! No!! Knowing today employers re looking for teens to employ..

Tribe n religion I agree cous Nigerians ain't One..
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Bdemmy(m): 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Most jobs require age limits and you say age is not important on CV?
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Natpat: 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hnmmm
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by braine(m): 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
I attended an interview one time and the interviewers asked me why I didn't inlcude my hobbies that they actually need to know my hobbies. I was quite surprised. Thats why we shouldn't really take these info for granted.

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by catryn19(f): 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
hi.. please have any1 done his/her mapoly full registration?? ..let's say.. signing Ur clearance form etc... just wanna ask ..if u showed them Ur "original waec result" ..or just photocopy.. please.. reply.. did they ask for Ur ORIGINAL waec result?

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Rastamann: 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Where is the job in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by mikkypel(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
The thing is Employers are the problems of job seekers.. They make things difficult every time.. What they fail to understand is creativity and impact does not only lie on grade or successes achieved in the university.. They only want the best and think the average ones have nothing to offer.. Why can't they be un-biased and select on interview basis.. Take out connections, even if you would use connections, make it 30% or 40% and make merit 60%..Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria.. You go for a job interview and you are leady nursing the thought that you have failed not because you are not qualified bit because you don't have the necessary connections.. Why can't we be a better person and that would make the nation a better one.. Leave out connections, Base it on merit, do not rely on school grades, don't discriminate on institutions attended and the society will be a happy place
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Dklef(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ok. So b1tches be ware! Incase i call one of ya'll for a bløw Job
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by catryn19(f): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2016
catryn19:
hi.. please have any1 done his/her mapoly full registration?? ..let's say.. signing Ur clearance form etc... just wanna ask ..if u showed them Ur "original waec result" ..or just photocopy.. please.. reply.. did they ask for Ur ORIGINAL waec result?
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by 3rdlegxxx(m): 3:57pm On Jan 04, 2016
One golden Rule! nicely put OP, i have learnt something extra today but then again being straight jacketed is a really bad idea, be creative with your CV, not too many words, just the important details and a bit about yourself won't and has never hurt anyone.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by utenwuson: 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2016
every organisation have different ways of accessing an applicant removing all u wrote above won't even consider a serious applicant in my agency!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You? / Total E&P Nigeria CPFA Limited : 2019 Recruitment Programme Test Invite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.