Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow (28544 Views)

10 Tips Job-seekers Must Follow If They Want To Get A Meaningful Job / Complete Resume Reference Guide You Must Follow / Must References Appear In Every CV? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by freeage7(m): 3:59pm On Jan 04, 2016
Absolutely nonsense!
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Justicealh3(m): 4:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
We na no go tireself.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nihilist:

The layout and content of your CV determines the kind of interview offers you get(if any)

With the advice you've just given, I'm not surprised at the kind of questions you were facing at your last interview.
Any company that even looks at the kind of CV you've suggested is probably scraping the bottom of the barrel for cheap labour anyway...
.Lmao! I'm not going to engage in cheap Banter with You and I'm also not going to drop the name of the company as well, But I'll say this I'm an accountant by training and also graduated with a 2:1 from the University of Lagos and as such I don't think even your Father's company can pay my wages. We didn't come to this world together and I don't subscribe to people doing things in one Particular way. Don't know about You but a lot of people out there aren't Zombies you know. what I said was just a Personal Opinion.

I also believe You can Read and read between the Lines as well. I didn't say those were the Only questions I was asked as I was also asked technical questions. nuff said Cheers!
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by GigDgitech76(m): 4:14pm On Jan 04, 2016
[quote author=utenwuson post=41648291]every organisation have different ways of accessing an applicant removing all u wrote above won't even consider a serious applicant in my agency! [CAN I POST CV HERE?]
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Dekingmoses(m): 4:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
and this made front page
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by MrCork: 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
Handsome1:
There have been tons and tons of How-tos on crafting a winning CV that will be just too perfect to be ignored by potential employers. Now, that’s all good stuff. But as with every form of knowledge, there is a basic, rudimentary and golden rule upon which the entire body lies. That one thing you can say is unarguable – the truth (if there’s any such thing).
As far as writing a great CV is concerned, there’s just ONE GOLDEN RULE..not two or three, just ONE: “If it will not help you get that job, don’t put it in your CV.”

Now this may go off as a no-brainer, but you really have to see a typical CV of a job applicant in Nigeria to appreciate the wisdom laden in this statement. Details like marital status, state of origin, religion, ethnic group, LGA of origin etc will not help you get a job. If anything, they will greatly hurt your chances of even landing an interview.

How so? There are number of reasons, but I’ll stick to one which I think you may easily relate to. While merit is a major factor in recruitment, we cannot overlook individual sentiments and differences in the different choices of employers and recruiters. Different people have different predilection, and sensitive details such as where you come from, what religion you profess, your marital status, tribe, age and co should be completely removed from your CV. I hope you catch the drift. In addition, these details have nothing to do with your skills, experiences and ability to deliver on the job, so why add them to your CV.

There are other factors that you must consider in crafting a great CV, but this one rule is essential.

....sinse when as c.v help any man to find woman? angry
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Lilimax(f): 4:22pm On Jan 04, 2016
I have come across somebody with a fantastic CV, good grades but with nothing upstairs embarassed
How about that?
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Handsome1: 4:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
Do you think it is appropriate to tell your potential boss about your private life before you even get to meet her? And let’s assume it is; is a document as important as a CV the perfect means to convey that bit of information?

You see, these and many questions usually beg for an answer when drafting the bio-data section of your CV. However, deciding to include your marital status in your CV is a matter of different strokes for different folks.

Remember that in my last post I made it clear that whatever would not help you land a job should never be included in your CV? Well, this pretty much looks like one of such things.

For most employers, this information is very unnecessary. It says nothing about your skills and ability to deliver on the job. Though, this information may be required when preparing your work benefits and other packages, you should at the least, get the job first, don’t you think?

Some may argue against this though. This school of thought believe your marital status should appear in your CV especially as this puts you in a pole position to land certain roles that require the stability and steadiness of a family man/woman. They say married people tend to take their jobs more seriously and stay longer on it due to the different responsibilities and obligation they to fulfill, in which a steady income plays a huge role.

To this I have one question; would your chances of landing such jobs be limited simply because you did not add information about your marital status in your CV? It is an obvious NO. Such information can be provided during the interview or even later when you finally land the job.

So to answer the overarching question, I’d say you should not include information about your marital status in your CV. It’s unnecessary. Period!
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by sure4real: 4:43pm On Jan 04, 2016
Good Rules.
I attended a seminar where i was taught how to write resume.there are reasons behind each of the points he mention above; for instance.you age can screen you out.--the employer might be looking for 30 years old applicant,if you are 27years old and not stated on your resume and were invited for interview,you might get the job as you prove your self.

Religion may also hinder you.the HR person might hate christian or muslim due to one reason and other,He/she can drop the your resume because of that.

Marital Status,this can be of help sometimes,as Married applicant stand a chance of getting job if compete with single fellow,because they believe he/she is more matured and responsible.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Exponental(m): 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2016
Op.... forget story, get well connected, protocol will be breached. Your CV becomes formality.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Eureka123(f): 5:00pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
You People just like disturbing . Draft your CV the way you want and stop trying to convince People to follow a Particular template. na by force?

Recently attended an Interview where I was asked questions Like:
How many People make up your family?
are you the first child?
what extra-curricula activities do you engage in?

just goes to show that sometimes giving employers a sneak peek into your social background won't necessarily be a bad idea

there's nothing wrong if you state your marital status or age in your CV, just try to keep it as concise as Possible. When it comes to CVS I'ld say you should Be Creative, Be Unique, Don't be straight-jacketed

Not too sure about the bolded. In a corporate environment, those details are not necessary. Your employers may not be as open-minded to evaluate you objectively. It's not quite advisable. What works for Obi might not work for Bimbo. But that's not to say it can't be attempted.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by viktor01(m): 5:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
And after they promised to get back to you, they will be like "mr., if you want the job, come and collect It." GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by abimic(m): 5:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
living2013:

why do you seem to be so aggresive like this? If you are not interested with the information the guy is trying to convey, why not jump and pass than trying to discourage others that may need it. No knowledge is a waste!

For the past five years, I have received a lot of CVs from people that want me to rewrite them. If you look @ some of the CVs, you won't be patient enough to read them for 7 secs. So, there are people that still need this message.

Lastly, putting marital status and date of birth is not that advisable especially DOB. Some people have lost job opportunities because of this. You can not generalize your experience. If an employer preferred a candidate that is single and you put married on your CV, there are possibilities that your cv may not scale through. The same thing is applicable if your age on the cv is identified to be above the employer's preferrence.

However, there is no specific format for writing cv but there are some certain things you must not put on your cv for the sake of filling the whole pages. Before you include things like age, marital status e.t.c, you must ensure that they are recommended by the prospective employer.
Well personally, these things are inescapable, they would still know all these,one can't hide it for long If it matters, if being married won't get a man the job, no matter how he does it by not putting it in his CV, he won't still get it except he lies. Sometimes, it favors and don't be too quick at disadvantages. Meanwhile, your skills, expertise, career prospects, what your contributions would be and experience are what employers are after. Who cares about all this during SJT, ability test, competency test, check test, Verbal Reasoning? It takes Grace to scale through to interview where those things u pointed out won't matter. After series of test with a group of companies, I was invited for an interview where they asked many things including the ring in my finger what purpose it serves to things like my Marital Status despite seeing it in my CV to why wasn't I married, etc. What pleases an employer might just be nonsense to another!
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
living2013:

why do you seem to be so aggresive like this? If you are not interested with the information the guy is trying to convey, why not jump and pass than trying to discourage others that may need it. No knowledge is a waste!

For the past five years, I have received a lot of CVs from people that want me to rewrite them. If you look @ some of the CVs, you won't be patient enough to read them for 7 secs. So, there are people that still need this message.

Lastly, putting marital status and date of birth is not that advisable especially DOB. Some people have lost job opportunities because of this. You can not generalize your experience. If an employer preferred a candidate that is single and you put married on your CV, there are possibilities that your cv may not scale through. The same thing is applicable if your age on the cv is identified to be above the employer's preferrence.

However, there is no specific format for writing cv but there are some certain things you must not put on your cv for the sake of filling the whole pages. Before you include things like age, marital status e.t.c, you must ensure that they are recommended by the prospective employer.
.Point Noted! we all Have different Opinions that's what makes life fun. Concerning DOB: I just feel since alot of companies always have age requirements it wouldn't be out of place of you include it but if you choose to leave it out because you dont meet the age requirement (which is a smart move) you are only postponing the day of reckoning
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nihilist: 5:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
.Lmao! I'm not going to engage in cheap Banter with You and I'm also not going to drop the name of the company as well, But I'll say this I'm an accountant by training and also graduated with a 2:1 from the University of Lagos and as such I don't think even your Father's company can pay my wages. We didn't come to this world together and I don't subscribe to people doing things in one Particular way. Don't know about You but a lot of people out there aren't Zombies you know. what I said was just a Personal Opinion.

I also believe You can Read and read between the Lines as well. I didn't say those were the Only questions I was asked as I was also asked technical questions. nuff said Cheers!

The fact that they were asking you if you were the first 'child' in your family, and what 'extra-curricular activities' already suggests to me that you were being interviewed for a junior position.

Coupled with the fact that your 'brag' was based on your class of degree, and not that you were chartered or years of experience, it's pretty obvious that you are a fresh graduate who is either looking or probably just got a job.

Considering hoe many experienced accountants outside the big firms are paid, I doubt that your payslip matches up to your loud boasts.

I'd be very surprised if you make up to 100k monthly sef...but please don't let me stop you spooling your own chances with your poor CV
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by living2013(m): 6:05pm On Jan 04, 2016
abimic:

Well personally, these things are inescapable, they would still know all these,one can't hide it for long If it matters, if being married won't get a man the job, no matter how he does it by not putting it in his CV, he won't still get it except he lies. Sometimes, it favors and don't be too quick at disadvantages. Meanwhile, your skills, expertise, career prospects, what your contributions would be and experience are what employers are after. Who cares about all this during SJT, ability test, competency test, check test, Verbal Reasoning? It takes Grace to scale through to interview where those things u pointed out won't matter. After series of test with a group of companies, I was invited for an interview where they asked many things including the ring in my finger what purpose it serves to things like my Marital Status despite seeing it in my CV to why wasn't I married, etc. What pleases an employer might just be nonsense to another!

You have a point! But What matters is for one to secure interview, every other things can be discussed during the exercise
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by living2013(m): 6:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
.Point Noted! we all Have different Opinions that's what makes life fun. Concerning DOB: I just feel since alot of companies always have age requirements it wouldn't be out of place of you include it but if you choose to leave it out because you dont meet the age requirement (which is a smart move) you are only postponing the day of reckoning
thanks for your understanding
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nihilist:

The fact that they were asking you if you were the first 'child' in your family, and what 'extra-curricular activities' already suggests to me that you were being interviewed for a junior position.

Coupled with the fact that your 'brag' was based on your class of degree, and not that you were chartered or years of experience, it's pretty obvious that you are a fresh graduate who is either looking or probably just got a job.

Considering hoe many experienced accountants outside the big firms are paid, I doubt that your payslip matches up to your loud boasts.

I'd be very surprised if you make up to 100k monthly sef...but please don't let me stop you spooling your own chances with your poor CV
.Like I said we didn't come to this world together, so you probably graduated in 1986 with nothing to show for it in 2016. wake up and smell the coffee man! we Live in a Dynamic world that requires People to do something different, something other than the norm...Bigots Like you have no place in such a world cause your Brain is wired to think in only one way

and Yes I'm a fresh graduate with just the final stage to write in my ICAN. I wasn't Bragging about my achievements, I only Pointed it out just to let you know I'm not a desperate Job seeker willing to do just anything (Re: your comment about the company being a start-up looking for cheap labour). Like I said earlier Life is all about uniqueness, doing what fits you best and not using templates.

I Live a #Bespoke Life, its not my fault you've chosen to Live Life in a #MassProduced manner and if you continue that way I just might catch up with your mediocre average a*s along the chain man. I repeat you can't pay My wages and I doubt if your father can #LeaveTrashForLawma
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by jobberland: 6:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
GET YOUR CV Rewritten for only a token fee @ www.jobberland.com.ng
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by asiwaju87(m): 6:39pm On Jan 04, 2016
otijah:
@op am working with Diamond bank currently as a full staff, and almost 70percent of those things u mentioned were in my CV
The thing is if God wants to make a way for u at d appointed time, not even discrepancies in ur CV can stop u

And where we're you when we were looking for a bank staff to tell us a typical bank salary for :
Graduate trainee
Contract staff
Full time staff?
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by charles009(m): 7:01pm On Jan 04, 2016
you must include your age, For example am 31, i have a masters + tons of certifications and a staggering achievement in my 5+ years in a managerial position of a top company

Belive me, Anytime I submit my CV i get an invite, i dont need the job am just basically keeping my options open. Employers are looking for unusually young talented professionals. The Era of old age is becoming an illusion. Good luck!
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by abimic(m): 7:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
living2013:

You have a point! But What matters is for one to secure interview, every other things can be discussed during the exercise
Infact, the one I would prefer not be there would be the University one graduated from as some employers discriminate against schools nowadays but still, is there a time they won't still know?
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by kennyblac(m): 7:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Waiting meticulously for the LAWMA to come and pack the OP's Trash..
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nihilist: 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
.Like I said we didn't come to this world together, so you probably graduated in 1986 with nothing to show for it in 2016. wake up and smell the coffee man! we Live in a Dynamic world that requires People to do something different, something other than the norm...Bigots Like you have no place in such a world cause your Brain is wired to think in only one way

and Yes I'm a fresh graduate with just the final stage to write in my ICAN. I wasn't Bragging about my achievements, I only Pointed it out just to let you know I'm not a desperate Job seeker willing to do just anything (Re: your comment about the company being a start-up looking for cheap labour). Like I said earlier Life is all about uniqueness, doing what fits you best and not using templates.

I Live a #Bespoke Life, its not my fault you've chosen to Live Life in a #MassProduced manner and if you continue that way I just might catch up with your mediocre average a*s along the chain man. I repeat you can't pay My wages and I doubt if your father can #LeaveTrashForLawma

Like I said, and you confirmed, you're a fresh accounting graduate, unchartered, and inexperienced.

No amount of hashtags can take away the simple fact that your earning power is extremely limited as an accountant...at least for now.

So your 'boast' of huge wages are just exercises in self-comfort. cheesy
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nihilist:

Like I said, and you confirmed, you're a fresh accounting graduate, unchartered, and inexperienced.

No amount of hashtags can take away the simple fact that your earning power is extremely limited as an accountant...at least for now.

So your 'boast' of huge wages are just exercises in self-comfort. cheesy

.I Live a comfortable Life Bro! You know, some of us work just cause its dignifying not necessarily to make a Living. You Probably don't understand that cause You've been so Fvcked by Poverty you can hardly see Beyond its Horizon. Your salary is not up to my rent for accommodation (small BQ) when I was in school Bro. Please don't make me Brag

You need to Upgrade your Mindset and stop thinking Like a church rat
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nihilist: 8:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
DonUjay:
.I Live a comfortable Life Bro! You know, some of us work just cause its dignifying not necessarily to make a Living. You Probably don't understand that cause You've been so Fvcked by Poverty you can hardly see Beyond its Horizon. Your salary is not up to my rent for accommodation (small BQ) when I was in school Bro. Please don't make me Brag

You need to Upgrade your Mindset and stop thinking Like a church rat

The cost of a BQ is what you're bragging about? cheesy

A BQ!

grin
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
cheesy
Nihilist:

The cost of a BQ is what you're bragging about? cheesy

A BQ!

grin
.Gosh! He doesn't even Get my analogy. You are Officially Dumb. and I thought I was arguing with one MD or one C.E.O sef cheesy You don't even have a Poosie to keep you company tonight. You Probably still Leave with your Parents sef. what a Miserable recluse!
I'm done! sleep on Nairaland. Goodnight
Re: The One Golden Rule Every CV Must Follow by gingger(m): 10:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
I tink it was actually copied for hotnigerianjobs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately / Vic Lawrence And Associates Recruitment Test / The Right Way To Answer The Question: What Should We Pay You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.