Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,244 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? (1361 Views)

Market For Web Developers In Nigeria / The Nigerian Social Network Is Celebrating Over 150 Users! / Have U Checked Out The Growing Nigerian Social Network - Recruiting Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by T007OSH: 3:14pm On Jan 04, 2016
Hi All,

It might be a little too late as the app I'm developing is almost complete. However, I wanted to know what your thoughts are on a social media app developed specifically for Nigerians. Some of the drivers behind this idea were

- I feel lost on some of the social media platforms and sometimes just having a group with similar (naija) interests seems more appealing.
- After the Paris terrorist attack there was a lot of talk on social media among Nigerians that Facebook did not provide the Nigerian flag as an overlay after the BH attacks which happened shortly afterwards.
I have a strong belief that with our own social media platforms then we can tell the world what is happening on ground when the need arises ?!?

Any input + questions will be much appreciated.
Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by tosinhtml: 3:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
Question: Is there a market for Nigerian social media app?
Simple answer: NO.

Not to discourage you but there are already so many great social media apps out there with no recognition, and I'm sure there are better ideas to invest time on than a social media app.

But Since you are almost thru with your app, don't stop. You can still release it to the public and gradually watch how they respond to it.
Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by T007OSH: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
tosinhtml:
Question: Is there a market for Nigerian social media app?
Simple answer: NO.

Not to discourage you but there are already so many great social media apps out there with no recognition, and I'm sure there are better ideas to invest time on than a social media app.

But Since you are almost thru with your app, don't stop. You can still release it to the public and gradually watch how they respond to it.

Thanks for you honesty but I disagree that because there are already good apps out there, there isn't a market for one. There are a lot of other factors that can determine an apps success apart from being a great app. To name a few marketing, budget, uniqueness of concept etc. of course there is the all important 'God' factor or luck for those the don't have such beliefs. I'm already on the playstore but undergoing beta testing. Look forward to seeing how it plays out smiley

1 Like

Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by tosinhtml: 5:19pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ok cool, Can I see the app? or playstore link rather
Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by T007OSH: 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
tosinhtml:
Ok cool, Can I see the app? or playstore link rather

Of course! On the playstore just search for 'slumbook' That's what its called. Not sure I'm allowed to post the link here and don't want to be kicked off.
Any feedback will be great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by tosinhtml: 8:34pm On Jan 04, 2016
T007OSH:

Of course! On the playstore just search for 'slumbook' That's what its called. Not sure I'm allowed to post the link here and don't want to be kicked off.
Any feedback will be great

I just checked It out, I personally think the app is Cool & fun to use!, but noticed 2 things

1. Could you reduce the size of the apk (29MB is quite large) ...perhaps compress your images and re-build it.
2. I noticed the app requires Android 4.1 and up, could you make It require 4.0 upwards...Some users still use old tablets and phones, please take note.
Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by mark3009(m): 9:51pm On Jan 04, 2016
The success of any venture or startup to a large extent depends on how well you can push it and market it, so give your best shot and you just might be successful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by T007OSH: 10:24am On Jan 05, 2016
tosinhtml:

I just checked It out, I personally think the app is Cool & fun to use!, but noticed 2 things

1. Could you reduce the size of the apk (29MB is quite large) ...perhaps compress your images and re-build it.
2. I noticed the app requires Android 4.1 and up, could you make It require 4.0 upwards...Some users still use old tablets and phones, please take note.

Thanks @tosinhtml. Good spot on the size of the apk wink. We are working on the size of the package it became large when we added video trimming functionality in the CONTRABAND section of Assembly Ground. This is where posted videos only last for 5 min after the first person has watched it. Point on Android version also taken on board it will do more good than harm
Re: Is There A Market For A Nigerian Social Media App ?? by T007OSH: 10:36am On Jan 05, 2016
mark3009:
The success of any venture or startup to a large extent depends on how well you can push it and market it, so give your best shot and you just might be successful.

Thanks @mark3009 I plan to be quite aggressive with this one.

Public string ResultOfTakingRisks()
{
var result = "Change Must Come";

if(ManNoTakeRisk)
{
result = "No change from previous years";
}

return result;
}
Cant believe I just wrote that, Hope it compiles grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Help: Wordpress Permalink Settings Not Working / Hlp Tips On Developing Second School Web Apps In Nigeria / Please Who Knows Laravel Mvc With Php

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.