Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,696 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup (2128 Views)

JUST IN: MEND Threaten To Resume Militancy If… / "Northern Youths" Threaten To "Extinguish" AIT If Buhari Doesn't Win (Letter) / MEND Threaten Attacks On October 1; Claims Responsibility For Crude Oil Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by georgecso(m): 6:24pm On Jun 15, 2009
[size=16pt]Armed militants in Nigeria's Niger Delta on Monday claimed more attacks against facilities run by US oil giant Chevron and warned FIFA against letting the country host the under-17 World Cup tournament.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) in an email statement also threatened to extend its operations beyond Delta State to others in the oil-rich southern region.

MEND said they had started a massive fire that destroyed the Abiteye flow station and blew up two other Chevron facilities there early on Monday.

"Hurricane Piper Alpha hit the Abiteye flowstation operated by Chevron today,  which resulted in a massive fire outbreak that is consuming the entire facility," it said in the statement.

MEND vowed to move "into the neighbouring states of Bayelsa and Rivers before passing through the remaining states of Ondo, Edo, and Akwa Ibom then finally head off-shore."

The group also took "this opportunity to advise FIFA to have a re-think about Nigeria hosting the under-17 World Cup tournament at this time, as the safety of international players and visitors cannot be guaranteed due to the current unrest."

The tournament is due to run from October 24 to November 15, and Nigeria has scheduled some matches to be played in the restive region.

Before the latest attacks, Nigerian authorities assured FIFA of security during the competition.

The MEND statement also urged people from the Niger Delta region living in northern Nigeria to return home within the next eight weeks.

MEND said it was issuing the warning "because a major event will occur in that part of the country and reprisal attacks directed at them cannot be ruled out."

It gave the same advice to northern Nigerians living in the Niger Delta.

While the north of Nigeria is predominantly Muslim, the south is mainly Christian.

The spokesman of the special military unit in the area, Colonel Rabe Abubakar, downplayed the MEND attack saying only that there was "a serious exchange" of fire between the militants and troops, but that only Chevron could speak on its facility.

"There was a serious exchange of fire between our troops and them at the flowstation. We were able to chase them away. They fled and there was no casualty on our side. We are waiting for the company has to speak about their facility," he said.

Chevron did not confirm or deny the latest attack, but said investigations were under way.

Chevron is "not speculating on any comment while investigations are being undertaken," a company spokesman, Scott Walker, said in a statement to AFP.

Monday's operations were the latest in a series of MEND attacks on Niger Delta facilities run by the US oil giant designed to demonstrate that a recent government crackdown in the region has had no effect on its ability to operate.

One attack in May cost Chevron 100,000 barrels a day in lost production.

MEND, which says it is fighting for a fairer distribution of oil wealth to local people, said it would keep up its operations until oil production in the country had been brought to a halt.

"We hope that by the time the oil and gas exports come to zero, Nigeria will maintain those positions from the export of groundnut oil," it said.

Since 2006, MEND has been sabotaging oil industry infrastructure and abducting oil workers, to the extent that it has seriously disrupted Nigeria's oil production.

MEND announced last June 7 the launch of what it called an "oil war" after several weeks of clashes with troops who promised to rid the militants of the region.

Overall, the unrest has caused oil production -- Nigeria's main export -- to fall by nearly a third, from 2.6 million barrels a day in 2006 to 1.8 million currently.

Nigeria derives more than 95 percent of its foreign exchange earnings from crude production in the Niger Delta region, according to official figures.
[/size]

That means the Nigeria Military (JTF) will not rest too.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 15, 2009
I have no clue why FIFA decided to stick with Nigeria inspite of the fact that our government is clearly not ready
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by ow11(m): 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
mikeansy:

I have no clue why FIFA decided to stick with Nigeria inspite of the fact that our government is clearly not ready

If Jack Warner wants a Nigerian pssport, they should give him one. Nigeria is clearly not ready to host anything and it is amazing why FIFA wants to risk the lives of young boys in Warri when JTF and MEND are exchanging bullets! undecided
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
The captain of Nigeria's Bayelsa United has been shot dead just hours after leading his club to the league title.

Abel Tador was driving home after celebrating the team's success when he was stopped by armed robbers, according to the team's media officer.

Ebi Avi told the BBC that Tador was shot in the head as he tried to reverse his car in the troubled Niger Delta.

Bayelsa clinched the Nigerian championship with a 2-2 draw at Warri Wolves on Sunday.

"It is painful to have lost such a player on a day when we ought to be celebrating our historic league win," Bayelsa United chairman Victor Baribote said.

The team finished top of the 20-team league on 70 points, three ahead of their closest rivals Heartland FC of Owerri.

The death comes just a few weeks after two other players from the same team were killed.

Bayelsa is one of the states in the oil-producing Niger Delta, where violence is common.

Militants frequently attack oil installations and kidnap oil workers for ransom.

While the militants say they are fighting to help local people benefit more from the region's oil wealth, many criminal gangs operate in the area, stealing oil.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8100529.stm

See news coming from Nigeria

FIFA should spare us this torture and move the competition elsewhere

The Government in power is not interested and not ready, and FIFA wont get it.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by MrCrackles(m): 7:08pm On Jun 15, 2009
mikeansy:

See news coming from Nigeria

FIFA should spare us this torture and move the competition elsewhere

The Government in power is not interested and not ready, and FIFA wont get it.

I read it earlier today cry
Wasted life!
sad
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by bashali: 12:38am On Jun 16, 2009
na lie, those boy like ball
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by mystikal(m): 12:59am On Jun 16, 2009
hisssss, what sort of nation r we becoming?
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by DisGuy: 11:22am On Jun 16, 2009
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) in an email statement also threatened to extend its operations beyond Delta State to others in the oil-rich southern region.

so obvious they have no clue or perhaps they are scared or perharp they dont know the way to the capital
Why are they hell bent of killing and kidnapping their own people? They should drive to ABUJA!
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by philip0906(m): 11:48am On Jun 16, 2009
Why are they hell bent of killing and kidnapping their own people? They should drive to ABUJA!
no mind the criminals wey dey their backyard dey kill their own people instead of rounding up ABUJA .I no even pity dem may JTF finish dem jare.dem no born dem well may dem stop FIFA worldcup undecided undecided
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by kshow1(m): 11:49am On Jun 16, 2009
Can someone please whisper this into the ears of Blater that the government of the nation called NIGERIA is not ready to host the world.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Meldrick(m): 11:57am On Jun 16, 2009
BY THE TIME BLATTER IS KINAPPED, HE WILL UNDERSTAND HOW TROUBLED NIGERIA IS.
philip0906:

no mind the criminals wey dey their backyard dey kill their own people instead of rounding up ABUJA .I no even pity dem may JTF finish dem jare.dem no born dem well may dem stop FIFA worldcup undecided undecided
THESE CRIMINALS HAVE LEFT THE STRUGGLE AND STARTED CRIMINALITY THAT EXPLAINS WHY THEY CAN'T GO TO ABUJA. THEY ARE STEALING FOR THEIR POCKETS. THEY HAVE NO LOVE FOR THE NIGER DELTA REGION.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by otokx(m): 11:59am On Jun 16, 2009
i don't believe this
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by mayrho(m): 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2009
The MEND statement also urged people from the Niger Delta region living in northern Nigeria to return home within the next eight weeks.

MEND said it was issuing the warning "because a major event will occur in that part of the country and reprisal attacks directed at them cannot be ruled out."

It gave the same advice to northern Nigerians living in the Niger Delta.

Has it come to this Hope say Civil War is not about to start off
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by v3: 12:05pm On Jun 16, 2009
@topic

Another reason why we should NOT be allowed to host this J-world cup. . .

I share the thoughts of most posters on here as well
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by biola44: 12:10pm On Jun 16, 2009
mayrho:

Has it come to this Hope say Civil War is not about to start off
never, it cant happen,
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by kokoA(m): 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2009
This guyz have bitten more they can chew and now they are facing the music, so they have no choice but to result to empty threats like this one. The earlier they embrace govt's anmnesty, the better for them. Nigeria might not be a working country now but I believe those "rascals" are no match for Nigerian military.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by whassup: 12:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
disguy i enjoyed your comment ,honestly i dont understand those boys i should have supported thier actions if they had done the right tin.they know where to go to abuja is there if they had gone into the national assembley and kidnnap all the senators and lawmakers there or asorock to kidnapp no body will blame them.they are just deceiving themselves
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by smooooooth: 1:05pm On Jun 16, 2009
a war is imminent. you all berra come for your bullet proof vest.

call me now, no discount once the war starts.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by smasher1(m): 1:12pm On Jun 16, 2009
Mend need am 2 mend Nigeria.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Emperoh(m): 1:17pm On Jun 16, 2009
Government Ekpemupolo the real Militant with Nine lives is now a fugitive
The remainder of Ateke Tom and Jomo Gbono can be fished out. . . . let them not think they are invincible cos they will be fished out.
Tompolo took his luck soo far and went as far as killing 11 military officers.

I think Nigeria is still only harbouring these guys because some govt officials are involved intheir dirty business
As for the U-17 world cup, NOTHING and i mean NOTHING will happen!!
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
Serious issue tongue
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Fhemmmy: 1:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
If the clubs that the players plays for decide to increase the premium on the insurance on the head of the players, the countries they will be paying for will have no choice than to back out, and in turn will make the yeye FIFA to change their mind and take the great event to another country that has it together.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by deb(m): 2:01pm On Jun 16, 2009
Those thugs are using Niger Delta as cover up to perpetrate their evil deeds.
They are just out to enrich their pocket
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Fhemmmy: 2:05pm On Jun 16, 2009
deb:

Those thugs are using Niger Delta as cover up to perpetrate their evil deeds.
They are just out to enrich their pocket

Show me a Nigerian that isnt out to enrich their pocket and i will show you a lair.
At least 99.8% of good Samaritans dont reside in Nigeria
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by deb(m): 2:14pm On Jun 16, 2009
Call a spade a spade. MEND'S actions are evil and they all deserve to die.
They are fighting for nobody
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Fhemmmy: 2:16pm On Jun 16, 2009
deb:

Acceptable, then, the govt shd not offer them no amnesty.
Then, the govt should fight them and not offer them what they dont intend to give them.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by smooooooth: 2:26pm On Jun 16, 2009
deb:

in this case, nigerians are actually the one's calling a spade a shovel!

Emperoh:

Government Ekpemupolo the real Militant with Nine lives is now a fugitive
The remainder of Ateke Tom and Jomo Gbono can be fished out. . . . let them not think they are invincible cos they will be fished out.
Tompolo took his luck soo far and went as far as killing 11 military officers.

I[b] think Nigeria is still only harbouring these guys because some govt officials are involved intheir dirty business
As for the U-17 world cup, NOTHING and i mean NOTHING will happen!!
[/b]

guy make sure u buy a ticket & watch the opening march in warri stadium.

if you too sure say nothing dey happen.
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by skyranger: 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2009
football has never been mixed with violent anywhere in the world, as far as i can remember.
when the killings within Nigeria league football started, i felt this is total madness. the two do not go together.
correct me if i'm wrong, Iraq took the Asian cup title, that is a country at war with its very foundation.
someone should preach to MEND and make them see the difference b/w football and militancy.
i remember clearly the speech Mandela made to make south Africa clinch hosting rights for 2010, he said it was only during world cup matches that inmates and their white warders would come as one, forget the fact about their situation and fate and watch each match with one heart and so much passion. he begged FIFA to please give south Africa the opportunity to witness such once again.
FIFA giving the hosting rights to Nigeria has nothing to do with our bloody thievery government. FIFA is aware of how corrupt our leaders are or who isn't?.
FIFA is being magnanimous to the Nigerian populace, including the common man on  the street, we deserve to host the world even if the matches has to be played in the jungles, this they are using to say thank you to the nigerian people for bringing so much glamor to the under 17 world football championship and her commitment.
i duff my hat to all Nigerian youths who contributed to the image of Nigeria via under 17 football championship, for coach Teller  i drink to his name being immortalized.
to MEND, in as much as i support its course, steered by criminals, presently, i'll say, please sheath your swords come out of your creeks lets watch good football after that, DAMN 9JA GOVERNMENT blow dem out as much as u can!
i take a bow
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Skywalker5(m): 2:29pm On Jun 16, 2009
i dont understand why govt cant flush this assholes out angry angry angry
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by walata44(m): 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
i dont understand why govt cant flush this assholes out

Are talking about Nigeria Army and Airforce that can not locate a crash aircraft? grin grin
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by peeceelove(m): 2:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
pls people clamoring for WAR should not think to that side, its better to shout and life goes on than Arms struggle. i ve expirenced one and to say the truth its  not a good sight. Dead body of innocent people everywhere even your relations and friends around are killed for no reasons at all. the people that started it are far away with their family outside the country, only for them to come back to claim lands of dead people. A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.  Niger Delter Youth accept the Amnesty Grace and live in peace

cheers
Re: Mend Threaten To Shutdown Fifa Junior World Cup by Kx: 2:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
As disgusting as MEND's treat may seem,the fact remains that the forces
that gunned down the Bayelsa goalie were "armend robbers" as police claimed.

Add armed robbers to MEND kidnapping of oyibo.
And just to remind you,dont you think FIFA officials are worth more than
the celebrated transfer fee of over E 80milla tagged on CR by Madrid?

If FIFA goes ahead to give naija the hosting right,can somebody kindly
quantitfy the risk in monetary terms?

If South Africa had 10% of the Niger Delta wahala,do u thnk FIFA wud have gven dem d nod?

In this under 17 thing,I think we aint prepared.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Threatens To Attack Lagos, Claims Link To Al-queda / Abuja Explosion: Dokpesi’s Suit Frivolous - Sss ! / Anioma: Waiting To Be Created By The National Assembly Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.