Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) (3326 Views)

Basic Concepts Of Quantum Physics / Physics With Seun Lanlege - Understanding Scientific Theories + Logic Game / Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 05, 2016
Last week we talked about the double slit experiment, and how quantum particles can sometimes act like a particle or wave.

today we'll talk about this phenomenon in full.

Quantum Superpositioning

Basically, what this means is the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time. Remember Shroedinger's cat?

"yes, but i don't remember it at the same time - please explain."

haha, nice joke. Okay Erwin shroedinger tried to explain quantum superpositioning with a thought experiment about a bomb, a box and a cat. It goes thus

"A cat is put in a box with a bomb that has a 50% probability of exploding, in the classical world - the cat is either alive or dead regardless of whether the box is opened or not. but in the quantum world - the cat is superpositioned between the two possible states, dead or alive. And if the box is never opened the cat is not truly dead neither is it truly alive. Until the box is opened and the cat observed (wave function collapse) it's fate isn't truly decided"

which means a particle such as light can exist in a superpositioned state as both wave and particle until it's wave function collapses

"what causes this wave function collapse?"

observer's effect, or interaction with another quantum system.

""what is observer's effect?"

it's a theory that i personally don't like, it implies that quantum systems behave differently under observation. but that also implies quantum particles are sentient and don't like being watched like girls in the shower.

"lol, but really how can things exist in all possible states?"

that's the quantum world for you, it's completely probabilistic. Remember heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

"yeah, i do."the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty, only one can be known at a time" we were taught in high school at the time i didn't know what it had to do with anything "

it has a lot to do with everything in quantum physics.

"like?"

you were probably taught in school that electrons orbit the atomic nucleus, right?

"yeah"

you were lied to, electrons don't orbit atoms - that would imply that the laws of gravity held at the atomic scale. instead electrons are superpositioned around the atomic nucleus.

"meaning?"

the electron exists at all possible points in a 3d space around the nucleus.

"doesn't that increase the mass of the atoms if there are so many electrons? "

no it doesn't - because it's really just only one electron, quantum entanglement even makes things crazier - when two quantum systems interact they become "entangled" such that it appears as if they share information with each other. for example if the "spin" of one of the entangled particles is measured - then the spin of the other particle would be the opposite of the first and you can repeat this a billion times but that would be the case 99.99% of the time. 0.01% accounts for human error.

"so the particles are talking to each other?"

yup, it appears that way - einstein called it spooky action at a distance and theorized that the particles had already agreed on a set of "spins" they would take on. and that there was no information transfer taking place. John bell proved him wrong and discovered something new, even if you put a 99 billion parsec wide galaxy in between the two particles. they'll still transfer information instantaneoulsy.

"i thought information couldn't move faster than the speed of light?"

apparently that law doesn't hold in quantum physics.

Bye for now.
tags: Sirwere, coolUsername, plaetton, seun, ishilove, lalasticla, themonk

if you want to follow the show, please let me know and i'll tag you each time a new episode is out
This writing is copyrighted.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Raplinx(m): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
T.Ag me Joshuabase. Nice post.!
More grease to ur elbow!
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by BETATRON(m): 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nice job@op--this are the kinds of posts that should be on fP not boy friend girl friend stuff--once again nice job

Kindly Tag me next time
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2016
A quite fascinating concept, but completely theoretical abi? I'm beginning to see why quantum physcists and Classical physicist do not talk together. But I dunno, the theory is taking all matter to be conscious, a quite dangerous stance in my own opinion.

But more grease to your elbow, Joshuabase

Cc mrphysics, DEKATRON, prOton, Teempakguy, Johnydon22 and er.............
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by bqlekan(m): 6:41pm On Jan 06, 2016
Following and waiting for the geeks
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:31pm On Jan 06, 2016
SirWere:
A quite fascinating concept, but completely theoretical abi? I'm beginning to see why quantum physcists and Classical physicist do not talk together. But I dunno, the theory is taking all matter to be conscious, a quite dangerous stance in my own opinion.

But more grease to your elbow, Joshuabase

Cc mrphysics, DEKATRON, prOton, Teempakguy, Johnydon22 and er.............
Not completely theoretical, it is same principle used by the quantum computer, there are also a lot experiment confirming some of it predictions. The only problem facing it is gravity at the quantum level.

1 Like

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Dekatron(m): 9:32am On Jan 07, 2016
Op, na u oo!! Make sense!!

But, really . . . . What really causes Quantum Entanglement, really??

NB :- I am an Engineering student. I don't take courses in physics except Engineering Physics which are Advanced calculations. .

But always mention me @ op

@Blakejewelry :-

Google & NASA have developed quantum computer-- atleast on a practical and functioning scale
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 1:51pm On Jan 07, 2016
Please mention me
#preparing 4 jamb & waec
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by joshbj(m): 1:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
If electrons are observer sensitive, it means we can control matter with our body..... (Re-watching LUCY 2014. progress).
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2016
Blakjewelry:

Not completely theoretical, it is same principle used by the quantum computer, there are also a lot experiment confirming some of it predictions. The only problem facing it is gravity at the quantum level.

there are theories of quantum gravity, but even so - at that scale how would such a force as weak as gravity be measured?
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Blakjewelry(m): 9:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
Joshuabase:

there are theories of quantum gravity, but even so - at that scale how would such a force as weak as gravity be measured?
It is thought that gravity is weak because it might be leaking into another universe that is why it is weak.
The problem with quantum gravity is, it tries to see gravity as particulate in nature why general relativity sees it as curve space time, two different nature. For I think more work need to be done, the full understanding of gravity is going to open up more secret about nature

1 Like

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by samsard(m): 9:13pm On Jan 09, 2016
@joshuabase tag me on your next episode.

1 Like

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by matrix600(m): 9:56pm On Jan 09, 2016
Tag me too joshuabase, i thoroughly need physics lessons
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 10, 2016
Where was I when this thread was still hot

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Blakjewelry(m): 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2016
Teempakguy:
Where was I when this thread was still hot
The thing still for fire o, add your own flavor
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nobody: 12:21am On Apr 12, 2016
Blakjewelry:

The thing still for fire o, add your own flavor
well, in that case,

if relativity examines gravity as a curve in spacetime, and quantum mechanics sees it as a result of particle interaction, then they can come to a compromise. a duality of some sort.

string theory seems to provide that. BUT, i wouldn't cast my hopes on it. it has a lot of problems of its own.

1 Like

Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Blakjewelry(m): 2:39pm On Apr 17, 2016
Teempakguy:
well, in that case,

if relativity examines gravity as a curve in spacetime, and quantum mechanics sees it as a result of particle interaction, then they can come to a compromise. a duality of some sort.

string theory seems to provide that. BUT, i wouldn't cast my hopes on it. it has a lot of problems of its own.
I think more work need to be done on gravity. As far as am concerned gravity is yet to be fully understood, am still yet to understand how mass interact with space to bend it. Though it can be reasoned that the presence of mass in space create a stress in space, I still think it doesn't make complete sense as going by the fact that gravity is suppose to be dependent on the size of an object and density of it mass. And can anybody explain to me if gravity is curve space time how does the gravitational interaction between the earth and the moon cause tide
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Lloydkings: 9:10pm On Sep 28, 2017
Last week we talked about the double slit experiment, and how quantum particles can sometimes act like a particle or wave.

today we'll talk about this phenomenon in full.

Quantum Superpositioning

Basically, what this means is the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at the same time. Remember Shroedinger's cat?

"yes, but i don't remember it at the same time - please explain."

haha, nice joke. Okay Erwin shroedinger tried to explain quantum superpositioning with a thought experiment about a bomb, a box and a cat. It goes thus

"A cat is put in a box with a bomb that has a 50% probability of exploding, in the classical world - the cat is either alive or dead regardless of whether the box is opened or not. but in the quantum world - the cat is superpositioned between the two possible states, dead or alive. And if the box is never opened the cat is not truly dead neither is it truly alive. Until the box is opened and the cat observed (wave function collapse) it's fate isn't truly decided"

which means a particle such as light can exist in a superpositioned state as both wave and particle until it's wave function collapses

"what causes this wave function collapse?"

observer's effect, or interaction with another quantum system.

""what is observer's effect?"

it's a theory that i personally don't like, it implies that quantum systems behave differently under observation. but that also implies quantum particles are sentient and don't like being watched like girls in the shower.

"lol, but really how can things exist in all possible states?"

that's the quantum world for you, it's completely probabilistic. Remember heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

"yeah, i do."the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known with absolute certainty, only one can be known at a time" we were taught in high school at the time i didn't know what it had to do with anything "

it has a lot to do with everything in quantum physics.

"like?"

you were probably taught in school that electrons orbit the atomic nucleus, right?

"yeah"

you were lied to, electrons don't orbit atoms - that would imply that the laws of gravity held at the atomic scale. instead electrons are superpositioned around the atomic nucleus.

"meaning?"

the electron exists at all possible points in a 3d space around the nucleus.

"doesn't that increase the mass of the atoms if there are so many electrons? "

no it doesn't - because it's really just only one electron, quantum entanglement even makes things crazier - when two quantum systems interact they become "entangled" such that it appears as if they share information with each other. for example if the "spin" of one of the entangled particles is measured - then the spin of the other particle would be the opposite of the first and you can repeat this a billion times but that would be the case 99.99% of the time. 0.01% accounts for human error.

"so the particles are talking to each other?"

yup, it appears that way - einstein called it spooky action at a distance and theorized that the particles had already agreed on a set of "spins" they would take on. and that there was no information transfer taking place. John bell proved him wrong and discovered something new, even if you put a 99 billion parsec wide galaxy in between the two particles. they'll still transfer information instantaneoulsy.

"i thought information couldn't move faster than the speed of light?"

apparently that law doesn't hold in quantum physics.

Bye for now.
tags: Sirwere, coolUsername, plaetton, seun, ishilove, lalasticla, themonk

if you want to follow the show, please let me know and i'll tag you each time a new episode is out
This writing is copyrighted.
It was a flask filled with poisonous gas not a bomb which later shattered d flask and releases d poison dat later kills the cat.... but nice one though, your point was made
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Hintona(f): 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2021
Has anyone ever really conducted that schroedinger experiment?

Quantum physics is amazing and you really simplified it here, better than the other articles I read on quora.
Re: Quantum Physics II - Physics With Seun (S01 E02) by Nyenatetan(m): 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2021
I'm loving this, 24/7. grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Chenge My .i.p Address / Waec 2018 Commerce Obj And Theory Answers – May/june / asd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.