Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) (4643 Views)

Basic Concepts Of Quantum Physics / Physics With Seun - Understanding Scientific Theories | The Big Bang Theory / Physics With Seun Lanlege - Understanding Scientific Theories + Logic Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by johnydon22(m): 8:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
Being a bit busy but shouldn't stop us from making out time to add something to the intellectual development of our society.

I have decided to make a series of Simplified Physics sessions, explaining some fundamental aspects of physics in lay men terms for easy understanding by all and sundry..

I hope you enjoy them and contributions also are needed

NEWTON'S LAWS OF MOTION

No doubt Isaac Newton redefined our view of the universe and motion, and changed the global perception of universal motion..

It started simply with a basic question as it goes.. Newton was in his backyard when he saw an apple fall from a tree and he asked a question.

"Why should that apple always descend perpendicularly to the ground, why can't it go side ways or upwards but always to the earth's center?"

[color=000099]then he deducted, since the apple always falls towards a direction then there must be a force drawing it towards it.

therefore does the apple fall perpendicularly or towards the center? This then implies that if matter draws another matter then this force attraction that is acting on the apple from the earth is also acting on the earth from the apple.

Both are drawn towards each other. [/color]

then the next question was

"why then doesn't the moon fall to earth, does this force also stretch beyond the earth as far as we thought, perhaps it is and it is even responsible for the moon's orbit" Newton thought to himself and set out to tender a mathematic solution to these suppositions.

remarkably he was right, it was the cause of orbit and i will explain this using his first law

NEWTON'S LAWS

Then newton developed three laws of motion which you can see in almost everything around you and apply these laws also.

-During the Hellenistic ages, Aristotle was one of the brightest minds of that era sort out to solve the problem of motion. He wondered why objects in motion eventually slow down and stop.

He concluded that [color=007700]"Objects in motion get tired and that is why they slow down and eventually stop[/color]

This explanation held sway through the Hellenistic era and a greater part of the medieval period until dispelled by Newton's deductions (laws)

FIRST LAW

also recognized as the law of Inertia.

This law states A body at rest will remain so until acted upon by an external force and a body in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity and direction unless acted upon by an external force

So contrary to what Aristotle thought, a body in motion does not get tired and eventually rests but rather slows down due to external forces acting on it.

E.G: kick a soccer ball high up into the air, normally that ball should remain in a constant direction and velocity but due to air resistance (external force) and gravity (external force) it slows down and falls back down.

E.G 2: In a vacuum, an object will forever keep going on one direction at same speed. .. like in Space.

Explaining how that is responsible for orbits:

Since we now know that an object in motion will always remain so in one direction unless acted by another force, this was the initial condition of the celestial objects.

Moon for example would float directly in a straight line at a constant velocity in the vacuum of space until it comes within the earth's gravitational reach (external force)

So since matter attracts matter (gravity) the earth is attracting the moon towards it but the moon also is travelling straight.

so it has to obey both forces, its initial direction and the second force (earth's gravitational attraction). with both forces at a conflict of supremacy on which direction the moon is to take, the moon takes the part between both forces thus obey both at the same time.

and an orbit is born, it is both falling towards earth and going in a straight path interpreted in a circular motion.

SECOND LAW

This law states The vector sum of the forces (F) on an object is equal to the mass (m) of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector (a) of the
object

This means that the force of an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the acceleration.

Simply put "acceleration of an object is directly related to the force applied and inversely related to the mass of the object.

thus F=ma

F= force
m=mass
a=acceleration

So if you kick a ball now, the force your KICK impacts on the ball can be calculated by multiplying the acceleration of your ball and the mass of the ball.

m×a=F

THIRD LAW

This law is quite simple ..

[color=000099]For every action (force) there is an equal reaction [/force) ..[/color]

You can see this when you seat on a chair, when you put you weight on a chair, an equal amount of force is needed from the chair to hold your weight or it will collapse.

..For every punch you throw at someone's nose there is an equal reaction from the impact...grin

There's also the example of shooting a cannonball. When the cannonball is fired through the air (by the explosion), the cannon is pushed backward. The force pushing the ball out was equal to the force pushing the cannon back, but the effect on the cannon is less noticeable because it has a much larger mass.

If the cannon ball and the cannon are of equal mass both would move at different directions at the same velocity but since the cannon is more massive the force was just enough to jerk it backwards.

That example is similar to the kick when a gun fires a bullet forward...

Also when you collide or bumb into someone, the force that throws you backwards is equal to the one that throws the person towards the other direction.

Here sums up our lesson on motion, i apologize for the length and we are open to questions and other submissions that will improve the quality of information passed and knowledge gained.

Pictures credit: www.Google.com

Cc. Loj, UjSizzle, teempakguy, sukkot, hahn, Antiparticle, RobinHez, mrphysics, dekatron, menesheh, prot0n, sirWere, OpenMinded, freecocoa, krystalzkris ..

Expect more "Simplified Physics with Johnydon22" series on many more topics..

Takes a bow

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by RobinHez(m): 9:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
Lol, johny don turn lecturer grin

Nice. Piece though...

Anyone know where I can get "for the Love of physics" by Walter lewin? : cry

2 Likes

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by oglalasioux(m): 10:13pm On Apr 06, 2016
Love this!

Keep it coming.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 10:42pm On Apr 06, 2016
Yes.

This is one of my favourite, intriguing parts of physics. cheesy. I had a smug smile on my face when I saw this topic heading. Now, let me read. I hope I enjoy it smiley.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 11:10pm On Apr 06, 2016
In your introduction, you made mention of using mostly the layman language. So, I was expecting to see some technical words written in pigin grin. For example, not everyone would understand what the word-- acceleration--means.

Nice one, though. smiley

1 Like

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by menesheh(m): 12:52am On Apr 07, 2016
Awesome.

Keep it coming but stop making them addictive sort of irresistible updates wink just like YouTube crashcourse and scishow.

This seems like part of physics that has everything to do with my number 1 loved-enemy mathematics.

Really enjoy going through it on a layman platform.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by menesheh(m): 12:55am On Apr 07, 2016
RobinHez:

Nice. Piece though...

What's the book specifically discussing about physics?
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 6:07am On Apr 07, 2016
johnydon22:
Here sums up our lesson on motion, i apologize for the length and we are open to questions and other submissions that will improve the quality of information passed and knowledge gained.
Nice one. Bring it on sir.

The story of the apple of newton is very interesting. It is awesome to see how much progress can be made from a simple observation and some curiosity. At the end of the day, that's what Science is all about: being curious to know how things work... And refuse to fill the gap of what we don't know yet with superstition myth and religious beliefs.

Waiting for the next installment.

Cc. Teempakguy.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 07, 2016
Ha!! Ironically, Newton's law of motion was one of my first love in Physics.

This is lovely grin

1 Like

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 8:45am On Apr 07, 2016
SirWere:
Ha!! Ironically, Newton's law of motion was one of my first love in Physics.

This is lovely grin
How many crushes have you had since then? grin
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 07, 2016
LoJ:
How many crush have you had since then? grin

Just three grin grin grin

Wait, only three

Yeah, just three embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by johnydon22(m): 8:59am On Apr 07, 2016
LoJ:

Nice one. Bring it on sir.

The story of the apple of newton is very interesting. It is awesome to see how much progress can be made from a simple observation and some curiosity. At the end of the day, that's what Science is all about: being curious to know how things work... And refuse to fill the gap of what we don't know yet with superstition myth and religious beliefs.

Waiting for the next installment.

Cc. Teempakguy.

Ironically Newton did just that when he got to the peak of his knowledge just as Ptolemy did.

Ptolemy a brilliant Natural Philosopher (scientist) of Hellenistic era when faced with the motions of celestial objects avowed

" I know that i am mortal by nature, and ephemeral; but when I trace, at my pleasure, the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies, I no longer touch Earth with my feet: I stand in the presence of Zeus himself and take my fill of ambrosia."

Ptolemy filled the gap left by the mysteries of planetary motions with superstition and his religious belief (Hellenistic) and invoked GOD (zeus) to explain the mechanisms of planetary motions.

Our dear Isaac Newton also after watching the sky, got to the limit of his knowledge. The stability of the solar orbits. The known 6 planets and 9 moons of that time, he could see precision and he couldn't go further so he invoked superstition and his religion (Christianity)

" This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.

And if the fixed stars are the centres of other like systems, these, being formed by the like wise counsel, must be all subject to the dominion of One; especially since the light of the fixed stars is of the same nature with the light of the sun, and from every system light passes into all the other systems:

and lest the systems of the fixed stars should, by their gravity, fall on each other, he hath placed those systems at immense distances from one another.”

You see just like Ptolemy filled the gap of his ignorance with his own Hellenistic beliefs, Newton figured out how they worked unlike Ptolemy.

But then as Newton goes he couldn't figure out their stability, he couldn't conceived the natural mechanics behind it so just like Ptolemy, Newton employed his beliefs.

and then A century later, the French astronomer and mathematician Pierre-Simon de Laplace confronted Newton's dilemma of unstable orbits head-on.

Rather than view the mysterious stability of the solar system as the unknowable work of God, Laplace declared it a scientific challenge.

In his multipart masterpiece, Mécanique Céleste, the first volume of which appeared in 1798, Laplace demonstrates that the solar system is stable over periods of time longer than Newton could predict.

To do so, Laplace pioneered a new kind of mathematics called perturbation theory, which enabled him to examine the cumulative effects of many small forces.

when Laplace gave a copy of Mécanique Céleste to his physics-literate friend Napoleon Bonaparte, Napoleon asked him what role God played in the
construction and regulation of the heavens.

"Sire," Laplace replied, "I have no need of that hypothesis."

You see? both Newton and Ptolemy made that blunder by invoking belief where they lack knowledge.

But Laplace figured it out and then the "God" Newton and Ptolemy used to explain both celestial motion and stability became irrelevant and bogus and unneeded and was thrown out of the equation.

I always tell people this, do not bring your beliefs into scientific deductions. If you are only going to hide your beliefs behind the curtain of scientific ignorance like what people are doing now.

Nobody is now saying God(s) moulded the earth cus that has been answered.

the mantra is now "what came before the big bang or what caused it? if you don't know then God(s) did"

They see any curtain of scientific ignorance a good place to hide the vulnerability their beliefs, if you are going to do that then you will find that with more scientific breakthroughs and deductions these "beliefs" will keep receding and wane.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by johnydon22(m): 9:07am On Apr 07, 2016
Cc. UjSizzle lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 10:38am On Apr 07, 2016
johnydon22:

Ironically Newton did just that when he got to the peak of his knowledge just as Ptolemy did.

Ptolemy a brilliant Natural Philosopher (scientist) of Hellenistic era when faced with the motions of celestial objects avowed

" I know that i am mortal by nature, and ephemeral; but when I trace, at my pleasure, the windings to and fro of the heavenly bodies, I no longer touch Earth with my feet: I stand in the presence of Zeus himself and take my fill of ambrosia."

Ptolemy filled the gap left by the mysteries of planetary motions with superstition and his religious belief (Hellenistic) and invoked GOD (zeus) to explain the mechanisms of planetary motions.

Our dear Isaac Newton also after watching the sky, got to the limit of his knowledge. The stability of the solar orbits. The known 6 planets and 9 moons of that time, he could see precision and he couldn't go further so he invoked superstition and his religion (Christianity)

" This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.

And if the fixed stars are the centres of other like systems, these, being formed by the like wise counsel, must be all subject to the dominion of One; especially since the light of the fixed stars is of the same nature with the light of the sun, and from every system light passes into all the other systems:

and lest the systems of the fixed stars should, by their gravity, fall on each other, he hath placed those systems at immense distances from one another.”

You see just like Ptolemy filled the gap of his ignorance with his own Hellenistic beliefs, Newton figured out how they worked unlike Ptolemy.

But then as Newton goes he couldn't figure out their stability, he couldn't conceived the natural mechanics behind it so just like Ptolemy, Newton employed his beliefs.

and then A century later, the French astronomer and mathematician Pierre-Simon de Laplace confronted Newton's dilemma of unstable orbits head-on.

Rather than view the mysterious stability of the solar system as the unknowable work of God, Laplace declared it a scientific challenge.

In his multipart masterpiece, Mécanique Céleste, the first volume of which appeared in 1798, Laplace demonstrates that the solar system is stable over periods of time longer than Newton could predict.

To do so, Laplace pioneered a new kind of mathematics called perturbation theory, which enabled him to examine the cumulative effects of many small forces.

when Laplace gave a copy of Mécanique Céleste to his physics-literate friend Napoleon Bonaparte, Napoleon asked him what role God played in the
construction and regulation of the heavens.

"Sire," Laplace replied, "I have no need of that hypothesis."

You see? both Newton and Ptolemy made that blunder by invoking belief where they lack knowledge.

But Laplace figured it out and then the "God" Newton and Ptolemy used to explain both celestial motion and stability became irrelevant and bogus and unneeded and was thrown out of the equation.

I always tell people this, do not bring your beliefs into scientific deductions. If you are only going to hide your beliefs behind the curtain of scientific ignorance like what people are doing now.

Nobody is now saying God(s) moulded the earth
mhen, you need to come live in my area where there are about ten churches in the same street. The bolded is chorused morning, day and night.

cus that has been answered

the mantra is now "what came before the big bang or what caused it? if you don't know then God(s) did"

the bigbang doesn't seem legit, though. Living organisms couldn't have possibly emerged from an explosion. undecided
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Shollyps(m): 10:52am On Apr 07, 2016
Johny...I don vex for you o...you no mention me....you no wan make I sabi physics ....na lie....devil is a liar.....
na God lead me to this place....
make I grab chair ,orijin n popcorn...... I must sabi physics by fire by force...lol
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by CltrAltDelicious(m): 11:13am On Apr 07, 2016
It a pity our educational system is not encouraging when it comes to science most of us would have been science students, I regret not being a science student angry
Good job my fine sire

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by CltrAltDelicious(m): 11:17am On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:

mhen, you need to come live in my area where there are about ten churches in the same street. The bolded is chorused morning, day and night.

the bigbang doesn't seem legit, though. Living organisms couldn't have possibly emerged from an explosion. undecided
The bigbang is no really an explosion, it an expansion
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 11:32am On Apr 07, 2016
CltrAltDelicious:

The bigbang is no really an explosion, it an expansion
It still doesn't make sense to me. That's one scientific theory I refuse to agree on. I haven't really delved into it, though (maybe because I'm not intrigued by the Idea). I don't really like the Idea that living matter came out of a mass of energy and non-living matter.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 07, 2016
waiting for more lectures @Johnny don22

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:

Bro............. Where the hell did the Big bang theory say that
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 2:00pm On Apr 07, 2016
SirWere:
Bro............. Where the hell did the Big bang theory say that
mhen, that's my own understanding of it, for now.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by johnydon22(m): 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:

Those are the example were "belief" becomes detrimental to societal well being since it poses as an enemy of empirical deduction and study.

People surely will discard empirical study to uphold personal beliefs and myths, the coming generations will shudder at that when they look back at this present society where scientific findings are chastised in order to clutch on to personal beliefs.

Hahahaha the Big Bang theory first of all is not an explanation of the emergence of living organisms.

- it is not an explosion but a rapid expansion of matter from a point of infinite density and matter.

- Scientific thesis for emergence of organisms is called Abiogenesis that states with the right condition e.g Right sunlight, water, rock, right conditions and presence of the right elements e.g Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen life can emerge from such complex organic situation.

You may want to correct the above though... thanks boss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by johnydon22(m): 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:

It still doesn't make sense to me. That's one scientific theory I refuse to agree on. I haven't really delved into it, though (maybe because I'm not intrigued by the Idea). I don't really like the Idea that living matter came out of a mass of energy and non-living matter.

Science leaves room for doubt because it is not a dogma, so everyone can disagree and provide an argument.

Science does not aim at establishing a dogma that should be believed blindly but it aims at getting to know through consistent study and empirical substantiation to arrive at a truthful approximation without at any point claiming absolute truth has being reached.

But leaves more room for doubt, questions and modification in respect to more study to improve the quality of truth.

We still have many questions to answer but really you have a problem with non-living matter turning to living matter forgetting that if you cut off a small part of you it becomes a non-living matter too!!!

Even religiously non-living matter (dust as in Christianity, Clay in Islam, rocks for viorachocha) still turned into living matter as God created man..

remember that
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by mrphysics(m): 4:10pm On Apr 07, 2016
RobinHez:

Nice. Piece though...

I have the video, you can get it by going to ocw.mit.edu go to physic department, undergraduate section then you will see it. I don't know how to transfer it sir.

Jonnydon, you have really done a nice work, anyone can understand it.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by RobinHez(m): 4:34pm On Apr 07, 2016
mrphysics:

I have the video, you can get it by going to ocw.mit.edu go to physic department, undergraduate section then you will see it. I don't know how to transfer it sir.

Jonnydon, you have really done a nice work, anyone can understand it.
I'm talking bout the book! angry
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 5:45pm On Apr 07, 2016
johnydon22:

Hahahaha the Big Bang theory first of all is not an explanation of the emergence of living organisms.

- it is not an explosion but a rapid expansion of matter from a point of infinite density and matter.
Lol. See as you dey laugh me. We are still on the same page here, boss.
It seems you and the other guys misunderstood what I meant by "explosion" in that context. I didn't mean "blow up". No. I meant a "rampant increase".

If I'm correct, a singularity exploded (or expanded) over billions of years to form the universe -- says the theory.

Subsequently, living organism began to emerge. How? They formed themselves from the already existing matter. This, I am not comfortable with.

- Scientific thesis for emergence of organisms is called Abiogenesis that states with the right condition e.g Right sunlight, water, rock, right conditions and presence of the right elements e.g Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen life can emerge from such complex organic situation.
grin. Definitely I have a lot to learn. If this is so, shouldn't reproduction be made from raw matter then? I think abiogenesis is still a mere hypothesis.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Oxytocin(m): 8:15pm On Apr 07, 2016
Nice piece of work here,still have a lot to learn..
Physics is life mehn cheesy

Can anyone recommend a book on astrophysics
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 8:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
Oxytocin:
Nice piece of work here,still have a lot to learn..
Physics is life mehn cheesy

Can anyone recommend a book on astrophysics
my oga at the top. How are things going?
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:
mhen, that's my own understanding of it, for now.
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Oxytocin(m): 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2016
Geofavor:

my oga at the top. How are things going?
Lol.. Things are going well
Still prep..ing for the upcoming exams ... I'm not all into it yet, tho.. lipsrsealed
And you... how have you been holding up! ??
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Geofavor(m): 9:03am On Apr 08, 2016
Oxytocin:

Lol.. Things are going well
Still prep..ing for the upcoming exams ... I'm not all into it yet, tho.. lipsrsealed
And you... how have you been holding up! ??
I see you're taking your time to savour knowledge. smiley

I had a lil bit of necessary distractions, but preparation's still on going slow and steady here, too. cool
Re: Simplified Physics With Johnydon22 Part 1 (newton's Laws Of Motion) by Oxytocin(m): 9:51am On Apr 08, 2016
Geofavor:

I see you're taking your time to savour knowledge. smiley

I had a lil bit of necessary distractions, but preparation's still on going slow and steady here, too. cool
That's great cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Negative Effects Of Technology On Our World. / What Will Happen If The Sun Disappeared! (photos) / 2015 Best E-cigarette, Box Mod And Vape Starter Kits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.