Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,711 members, 7,862,254 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 12:21 PM

Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? (2187 Views)

Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) / Anxiety Mounts As Buhari Keeps Tinubu, Atiku In The Dark Over New Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 9:02pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

Any type of business you do is risky, there is no guarantee you will make money, no matter how well it works for others.
If the government introduces more BRT and LAGBUS and people find it to be cheaper and those molue's are forced out of business because they cannot make profit, is that not a loss of livelihood on their part, too.

That is not applicable here, cos this are people that never came to the govt for handout, the govt is the one that thinks they dont like how the people are running their biz, and wanna train them and teach them what they not sure what the outcome would be, remember what they say "why change something, if it works" that is how Nigeria is and i dont blame them, you wanna take away what they know from them and give them something that is not sure and not evn known, something totally new to them?
common now, let us be real.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by MrCrackles(m): 9:03pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

And is the State government the one funding the BRT buses?

This i know and yes, the state government is pumping money into it
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 9:06pm On Jun 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

This i know and yes, the state government is pumping money into it

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

What is LSTC?

Oh boy!!! I suddenly feel so old, lol . Lagos State used to have a serious bus system about 20 years ago. You will not believe it but back then, there were rarely any Molues on the streets of Lagos. The buses were red, and comfortable and what not. But with change of government, and high cost of maintenance, it went the way so many things in Lagos did. Molues showed up right as the system started to break down. I believe about 10 or so years ago, the state ( under marwa, if I am not mistaken) tried at the idea of having a state bus system yet again.

moneygurl:

And is the State government the one funding the BRT buses?

Yes!
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by moneygurl: 9:19pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

That is not applicable here, cos this are people that never came to the govt for handout, the govt is the one that thinks they dont like how the people are running their biz, and wanna train them and teach them what they not sure what the outcome would be, remember what they say "why change something, if it works" that is how Nigeria is and i dont blame them, you wanna take away what they know from them and give them something that is not sure and not evn known, something totally new to them?
common now, let us be real.

How is not applicable? As I said before if the govt. introduces more BRT and LAGBUS to meet the population and the drivers are forced out of business because they cannot make profit, is that not a loss of livelihood?

"why change something if it works". There are many people who will tell you that the molue system does not work. most of this molue's are on the verge of falling when they are next to you on the road, most of them do not have good brakes, most of them do not obey traffic rules, most of them are the cause of traffic because they have no business moving on roads again especially during the raining season, you hear stories of how molues without brakes kill people at bus stops, etc. So I do not think the system works and need to be changed.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kobojunkie: 9:26pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

"why change something if it works". There are many people who will tell you that the molue system does not work. most of this molue's are on the verge of falling when they are next to you on the road, most of them do not have good brakes, most of them do not obey traffic rules, most of them are the cause of traffic because they have no business moving on roads again especially during the raining season, you hear stories of how molues without brakes kill people at bus stops, etc. So I do not think the system works and need to be changed.

I don’t think any honest individual can say for a fact that MOLUE system does not work. For one, these molues did not appear just yesterday, they have been on the roads for decades now. Even with the unbelievable state most of these vehicles seem to be in, Lagosians still opt to ride in them. I mean sure, you can say that many of them are death cages but you cannot say Molue System does not work. For one, considering that even with introduction of BRT and the clamping down of government on where drivers can park or not park, Molues still thrive, that there is reason to believe they work because they do. Now, again, it is not Government’s job to provide transportation for all. Even in big cities across the world, you will note that private bus/taxi systems still function.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 9:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
moneygurl:

How is not applicable? As I said before if the govt. introduces more BRT and LAGBUS to meet the population and the drivers are forced out of business because they cannot make profit, is that not a loss of livelihood?

That was why i said in my earlier post, make sure the molue are more reliable and safe, but not to phase them out, and some of the accidents could have happened with the BRT buses, the problem is with some of the people, like when they selling by the road side and all that, those are all dangerous things that has to be stopped, and phasing out the Molue will not put an end to all that.
The goct need to have a standard that they will make sure all the Molue meets those standard.
The standard will be enforced by the law enforcement, and that will even give more job to more people.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by captured(f): 7:59am On Jun 17, 2009
Govenment has don its part this time, majority of lagosians are just a pshycologically disturbed people and cannot relate with progress. For goodness sake even the medically insane live amongst the supoosedly sane without anybody worrying about it.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by lakeside4love(m): 8:28am On Jun 17, 2009
Link and pics to confirm this story,
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by dedeike: 10:48am On Jun 17, 2009
this reinforces our earlier assertion that abj is the best place to live and work. lagos is just an irredeemable urban jungle.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by quadrillio(m): 11:25am On Jun 17, 2009
Nigerians are too stubborn, their are own pass GOAT STUBBORNNESS
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by phantom(m): 11:57am On Jun 17, 2009
Chai, Lagos!, lol, The fundamental problems have not been solved, 1.Population-most of whom are poor. 2.Lagos is migration-friendly!Thats why even after the eko atlantic is built,people from VI/lekki/ikoyi go move go there,then property in these areas go crash,with the attendant influx and congestion, So that at any time,its only 10% of lag that will be worth livin in.For how long will they keep reclaiming land?My solution, The govt should put modalities in place to increase the cost of living thereby making it less attractive.Everybody must not live in a city.Convert most residential buildings on the mainland to highrises, The first solution might seen callous but desperate situations require desperate solutions.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by emmaireti: 12:41pm On Jun 17, 2009
Eko for show,
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by DisGuy: 1:05pm On Jun 17, 2009
I don't think its entirely fair to say people are stubborn blah blah
its about policies and enforcements, if people can get away with things,chance are they will!

If the government have fail proof policies and stiff penalties in place people will have no option but to comply
Tax in some parts of the world is unavoidable, theres just no way to beat the system

Cars without road tax/drivers without insurance get their cars crushed right in front of them in most case
speeders or wayward parkers gets fined immediately no bargaining no begging
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 1:24pm On Jun 17, 2009
Dis Guy:

I don't think its entirely fair to say people are stubborn blah blah
its about policies and enforcements, if people can get away with things,chance are they will!

If the government have fail proof policies and stiff penalties in place people will have no option but to comply
Tax in some parts of the world is unavoidable, theres just no way to beat the system

Cars without road tax/drivers without insurance get their cars crushed right in front of them in most case
speeders or wayward parkers gets fined immediately no bargaining no begging

Yes people are damn stuborn, however, it is all in the name of earning a living, cos most of such crowd fell thru the crack of development.
The govt has penalties, but pple that ought to enforce the law are the lousy fools that needed to be under some tight scrutiny and be jailed if they messed up.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Kellysmithdfm(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2009
What will be done will be done
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by luckiest: 12:26am On Jun 20, 2009
Quote from: Carlosein on June 16, 2009, 11:12 AM
did anybody notice that the street lights running from oshodi to ikeja have gone off only after about a week?

when contracts are awarded to anyone in any organisation; the contractors is expected to test run the job before the job completion certificate is issued or before the owners accept and sign a confirmation letter that the job was delivered in good condition, just like buying a car, you have to test it.

I am not backing the government becos I don't work for them, but probably the one week light you saw was a test run, another company will then be hired to operate the facility. The street light between Iyana Itire to Yaba comes on around 6pm and goes off by 6am or thereabout. If you live near some of the generators that power the lights, you will see some that most have been signed by the operators to go round and on the generators; maybe that is what they are working on concerning the Oshodi street lights; am sure that is what could be going on.

Still in oshodi, you will still see that some work is still going on around; like the new foot bridge, becos they are planning of fencing the rail track. So I believe gov-BRF is taking his time to complete the rail, bridge and other facility before every issue like the area boys, the street traders etc will be given a final look
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by walakolobo: 8:56am On Jun 20, 2009
and people say the problem of this country is poor governance? or thick headed sick illetrate people like everyone in here!
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by honeric01(m): 10:14am On Jun 20, 2009
walakolobo:

and people say the problem of this country is poor governance? or thick headed sick illetrate people like everyone in here!

With this comment, who is the illiterate now?
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Virgo83(m): 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2009
What the State Government did might be in the interest of the State, is their any provision for the Demolitions
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by honeric01(m): 6:22pm On Jun 23, 2009
Well, i went to Oshodi to investigate the allerged Molue road invasion and i can boldly tell you that the molue are not blocking the oshodi express way, either are they parking anyhow, they are well parked and you won't find anyone on the road except it's moving.

all i want them do about the road is to repair the damaged parts of the roads.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Fhemmmy: 6:24pm On Jun 23, 2009
honeric01:

Well, i went to Oshodi to investigate the allerged Molue road invasion and i can boldly tell you that the molue are not blocking the oshodi express way, either are they parking anyhow, they are well parked and you won't find anyone on the road except it's moving.

Thanks for the update.
So we hope they repair soon, cos that can help an easy flow of traffic as well.
Re: Oshodi: The Dark Days Are Back Again? by Nezan(m): 1:28pm On Jun 24, 2009
honeric01:

Better

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Judge Orders Onovo To Produce Suspects Today ! / Is This The Kind Of People In Gej Cabinet / Funny Music Video Of The Rivers State House Of Assembly Shameful Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.