Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. (3380 Views)

Arms Deal: Ex-military Chiefs Offer To Refund Contract Sums-the Nation / See What Military Men Did To A Youth Leader In Jos- Photo / Rahama Babangida, Ex-military Ruler's Daughter Stuns In New Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by generalzango(m): 8:12am On Jun 16, 2009
One would wonder,why this is coming out now it's simply the truth. In the U.S of America majority of their past leaders served in the military, ie. (Abraham Lincoln) & this were the people that brougt America to it's world recognation as the the worlds No. 1, before this Pres. Bush jnr. destoryed their economy. Ok in Nigeria, what took Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo 2 months to accomplish, is taking Pres. Yaradua 2 Years & some months to thing about. Military men right from thier Day - 1 at N.D.A are re-modeled to be sharp,smart, & intelligent think tanks.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by ElRazur: 8:18am On Jun 16, 2009
Leadership is a skill drilled into all soldier men. If you are educated and have decent qualification, you will be joining the army as an officer. These leadership skills are usually accompanied with other qualities like discipline, no-nonsense attitude etc.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by mukina2: 11:04am On Jun 16, 2009
This is true, Military men wants results, they rule with the rules grin and when you cant do as you are told you will be taken care of lipsrsealed

The only problem is the freedom of speech undecided
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by JJYOU: 11:09am On Jun 16, 2009
generalzango:

One would wonder,why this is coming out now it's simply the truth. In the U.S of America majority of their past leaders served in the military, ie. (Abraham Lincoln) & this were the people that brougt America to it's world recognation as the the worlds No. 1, before this Pres. Bush jnr. destoryed their economy. Ok in Nigeria, what took Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo 2 months to accomplish, is taking Pres. Yaradua 2 Years & some months to thing about. Military men right from thier Day - 1 at N.D.A are re-modeled to be sharp,smart, & intelligent think tanks.
is that why him and rawlings were corrupt too?
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Carlosein(m): 11:15am On Jun 16, 2009
ehhh generalzango, what exactly is your point?
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by beystwin: 11:17am On Jun 16, 2009
Carlosein:

grin
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Lagosboy: 11:31am On Jun 16, 2009
Military is all about leadership and followership. Officers are trained and modelled to be officers because an officer is a leader of men be it a platoon,company, regiment, division and so on.

Civilians can be good leaders as well but the problem we have is most of our politicians lack any leadership skills and they do not have any inborn leadership qualities. They are not sincere to the people and that is a fundamnetal flaw in leadership as you have to be sincere to your followers to earn their trust.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by kshow1(m): 11:38am On Jun 16, 2009
Carlosein:

Good question .What took OBJ two months and taking yaradulldua over two years without results ?
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by vigasimple(m): 11:51am On Jun 16, 2009
1. Military have discpline which most civilians lack.

2. Disobedience in the military is a very serious matter not so in the civilian

3. Lieing to your troop is a very very serious matter in the military, as trust and order will be lost immediately. With civilian, they even begin to justify lieing.

For me, having some military type of tarining, as in Leadership, discpline is  very important in civil life BUT Listerning is also equally important.

A leader is important than  AYR A'CLUELESS.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jun 16, 2009
generalzango:

well , guess what, majority of Nigeria's past leaders were serving military officers, and they are DIRECTLY responsible for Nigeria's position as on of the most corrupt, poor , backward, divided, sectarian Nations on the planet earth. whatever

kindly shove that fake nostalgia you are trying to build for the wonderful days of the khaki boys where the sun don't shine.

the nigerian military may be good at winning wars, but certainly not at leading a nation. you folks had best take lesssons from Kagame of rwanda. now there's a REAL leader, not a petty thief who guouged his nation.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by biola44: 2:24pm On Jun 16, 2009
@poster: wat good has it done naija?
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Fhemmmy: 2:25pm On Jun 16, 2009
I agree to some extent, however, i am not sure if i agree with Nigerian Military men, cos we have had Buhari, Abacha, IBB, OBJ and others ruled and we never see anything good in them.
Military men are supposed to be honest, patriotic and reliable, but Nigerian Military men are not, they are uselessly useless.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Carlosein(m): 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I agree to some extent, however, i am not sure if i agree with Nigerian Military men, cos we have had Buhari, Abacha, IBB, OBJ and others ruled and we never see anything good in them.
Military men are supposed to be honest, patriotic and reliable, but Nigerian Military men are not, they are uselessly useless.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by strangleyo: 3:32pm On Jun 16, 2009
And this is why the military did such a great job developing Nigeria?
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by bashali: 3:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
They stole all the money and nearly all had private jet. Is that leadership.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Fhemmmy: 4:36pm On Jun 16, 2009
bashali:

They stole all the money and nearly all had private jet. Is that leadership.

I guess by Nigerian standard, they are good leader, but i say they are $hit head.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 16, 2009
its a myth
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Fhemmmy: 4:43pm On Jun 16, 2009
mikeansy:

its a myth

It is not a myth, if you look into how the Military ought to be, but just not applicable to Nigeria, cos our own military is Nigerian branded.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by obailala(m): 8:15pm On Jun 16, 2009
No doubt, the military destroyed Nigeria and i still believe they are all Pots of Mess, BUT the civilians (YaraDULLa and co.) are not doing anything to prove this point.

With peeps like YaraDULLa still holding the mantle, the military will keep laughing at we civilians, and all our posts we put here condemning the military would just be mere assumptions.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Fhemmmy: 8:27pm On Jun 16, 2009
They are all same bunch in Nija, see the rate at which the ex service men are joining political parties in nigeria.
Well, i cant blame them, a nation where u hold the sit of ordinary councilor for one year and don hammer.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by eiete(f): 11:05pm On Jun 16, 2009
Lol!

Fhemmmy:

And come to think of it it was the military men in naija eg: IBB and ABACHA

that brought us to our knees. You have to wonder where they they were

when lesson in discipline, honesty, patriotism and reliability were being taught.

Anyway OBJ was an odd exception but i tell you what; i will definately not be voting for IBB

or Buhari in an election though they are ex- service men. God forbid bad thing!!!
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by sunboy(m): 12:35am On Jun 17, 2009
Being a politics student, according to Nigeria history and books have read and series of questions tackled on this issue. I agree and believe the military has achieved and developed 9ja than their civilian counterpart. Lets delete the likes of IBB, buhari n abacha but the likes of Gowon my man,idiagbon, obj then, murtala are good eggs among them. All leadership is corrupt but military are best to rule 9ja if fundamental human right is not deprived i believe in the khaki boys. God bless 9ja
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 17, 2009
@ElRazor.
GBAM!!
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by MUZBO(m): 3:30am On Jun 17, 2009
The only thing I believe a leader needs is confidence to lead which military men having held guns before and have had juniors kiss their feet before have. If you attend a good Univ. like Havard you'll have confidence not only because of the prestigious name but because it will be taught to you.
Don't forget most of these military guys think they are above the law anyway and that gives them confidence and I'm sure you'll rather follow a 'confident loser' than a 'hesitant go- getter'. You think if I believe I'm unstoppable I'll let anything stop me? I'll go on till the constitution prevents my third term and thats if I can't help it!
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by biina: 3:53am On Jun 17, 2009
Of what good is your leadership skills, when you are leading in the wrong direction? undecided
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by sylve11: 8:49am On Jun 17, 2009
Fhemmmy:

It's ur mouth, u can use it to chew shit the way u like cool
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by kevd2: 9:22am On Jun 17, 2009
It depends on your definition of leadership, if you define LEADERSHIP as the ability to perpertrate babarity, behave like zombies, Fraud, Insubordination(Coup de Tat), bastardize the whole system, promote massive corruption , subvert the aspirations of the people , destroy the Educational system and bring the country to the brink , then NIGERIAN MILLITARY leaders are the best.
But what proponents of this stupid and i mean stupid idealogy fail to understand is that Nigeria has made more pogress in 10 years of civilain rule than in 30 years of Military rule.
They also perhaps forget that some of the best leaders in History were never in the Millitary, Examples are Moses(Bible), Martin Luther King, Mahatma Ghandi, Abraham Lincoln, Ronald Reegan, Nelson Mandela, Bill Clinton and yes Barack Obama.
Pls end this stupid debate with fallacious reasoning.how can you use a leader that was not the mandate of the people to judge leadership.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Jaylone(m): 9:34am On Jun 17, 2009
I agree with the poster, but I'll add that:

1. Those past  leaders in the US were not serving military men. In Nigeria why the military do what they do is because they have the guns at their disposal. They rule by the guns.

2. Once a retired military man with discipline vies for a political position, and his aim is not to plunder the benefits of his office, then what he had learnt in the military should enable him lead his people to eldorado.

3. Nigeria has grown to a country that only BRUTE FORCE can bring about change. (The reason OBJ can be said to be successfull and Yar'Adua not
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Abagworo(m): 10:07am On Jun 17, 2009
obviously.if you have a soldier as a father or blood brother,his level of discipline is amazing.i however do not support military rule.
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 17, 2009
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians.

oh well, they also have er spoken/written english than civilians cheesy cheesy
Re: Ex- Military Men Have Leadership Qualities Than Civilians. by oludashmi(f): 11:00am On Jun 17, 2009
I poster
I agree with your points partly but will make it clear that the ability to give order, authourity, commands as well as show results within a limited period of time does not really depend on the uniform or knowledge imparted into you, it depends on capacity of the type of traits you carry within. Some people are very authouritative from birth. What of the case of FASHOLA, he is not a military man but does what a military man may never do, he has the vision, leading ability and shows results.

In most cases when people act to the order of a military man, it is not cos he can shout louder than others but they respect the uniform on him and the fact that he can do and undo and no one questions him.

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015: PDP, NWC Divided Over Sambo-amaechi Joint Ticket / House Of Rep., Senate Members Opt For Gej's Impeachment / Research: Why People Jubilated When Buhari Was Overthrown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.