Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Encounter With A Bvn Scammer - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Encounter With A Bvn Scammer (15415 Views)

Court Order Now Prerequisite For Release Of BVN - CBN / My Encounter With A GTB Staff / Brief Summary Of All My Business Encounter In 2016. - I Take A Bow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by martin92(m): 9:33am On Jan 06, 2016
I was in my house resting having just come back from updating my MTN SIM registration details for the second time in a space of three months (MTN with their wahala sef, God knows that I will just port fully to another network if they tell me to update my SIM card again). A message entered my phone, at first I thought that it was one of those MTN crazy SMS so I didn’t bother to check it out. I dozed off only to be awoken by another message on my phone, I decided to check it out and what I saw got me shocked.

I have been hearing and reading stories of how people were being scammed through BVN and I never knew that I was going to fall victim to a scammer, or maybe not. Honestly, the scammer did not read my file before he chose to prey on me. As a graduate of Engineering and an IT person, it would have been a waste of my school fees and education training if he had succeeded in trying to scam me.

The message on my phone goes as follows, “Dear costumer due to our Bvn system upgrade, your ATM CARD has just been de-activated to re-activate, Kindly call CBN costumer care 0092348106981315”. With the Sherlock Holmes in me, I noticed that the message was sent with an MTN number, how can the mother of all banks in Nigeria, CBN, send me this kind of message with an MTN number, those where the questions running through my mind. How unprofessional! I scrutinized through the message and saw “costumer”, like seriously? So there are many unemployed graduates in the street and they best they could do is to employ someone that can’t even spell ‘customer’, Okay continue (In patience’s voice). “Bvn” is supposed to be BVN, seems like this employee is a joke. “Your ATM CARD has just been de-activated to re-activate”, so this person couldn’t even put a comma sign after the deactivated. Now should I call the CBN “costumer” care or customer care number? I am kind of confused right now. A closer look will reveal to you that the “costumer” care number is an MTN number just by removing ‘009’ from it. So how the hell in the world will CBN use an MTN number as their customer care number? Only time will tell.

Naturally, I would have called and blasted the hungry fool that sent me this message but I decided to change the game plan. I called the number and a guy as expected picked up, I ended the call and redialed it and did it a third time and the same guy still picked it up those three times. If it was really a customer care number of CBN, random people would have picked the call. I called the guy the fourth time, he picked the call, asked me of my name, bank and state. I protested that there was no need for that since my details should be on his computer and he chided me for trying to be stubborn, I managed a wry smile and apologized sarcastically to him. I gave him fake details. He asked me to get my ATM card and get the numbers there for him. I lied to him that I lost my ATM card and that I will surely get a new one the next day. He chided me again and told me to make sure that I get my ATM card as quickly as possible. I took my mp3 player and grooved to ‘One day bush-meat go catch the hunter’ by Sound Sultan.

The next day as expected, he called me (so a whole CBN customer care agent dey call me like this oh), i told him that my ATM card was ready(who doesn’t know that it will take like 2 weeks or more for your ATM card to be ready for collection in Nigeria). He asked me for the ATM card details and I gleefully gave it to him, sparing no lies and very determined to run his call credit out. Thirty minutes later, he called and told me that there was a problem with the numbers, I apologized and told him that it was my mistake, I gave him another fake number. An hour later he called again and sounded like someone running out of patience, after running his call credit out, I simply told him, "Egbon 419ner if it is the ATM card that you want, come and collect it, God bless you. You still have a long way to go in scamming and I am going to show your number for the whole world to see and the security agents to take action”. Nobody should fall for this cheap scam.

Source: http://martinezefra..com.ng/2016/01/encounter-with-bvn-scammer.html

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by martin92(m): 9:48am On Jan 06, 2016
lalasticala move this to the frontpage. lets expose this guy so that people will not fall for it

4 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 06, 2016
martin92:
lalasticala move this to the frontpage. lets expose this guy so that people will not fall for it

Maybe you should ask the MOD to help you move it to "Crime" section or even "General"

It is a good and informative thread. Shockingly, you will be amazed at the number of educated folks that fall for this sort of watery and silly scam.

Lalasticlala, food don done o. Frontpage before this scammer gets to the next person who might be gullible.

2 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by BCISLTD: 10:56am On Jan 06, 2016
grin....I must have super human powers....I can smell BS miles away
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by AleriwaTj: 10:56am On Jan 06, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by otijah(m): 10:56am On Jan 06, 2016
I was also a victim of this bvn scam but on anoda platform, this time the guy came with "DiamondBankAgent" as a customer care line

He sent me my bvn number and told me that am having issues with it, I asked him what will be d solution nd he said I should send him my ATM card numb, which I did.

Meanwhile am a core staff of Diamonbank nd I hv heard abt this scam previously, so I wasn't bothered. he sent me an 8 digits code with inscription "ITP CODE" and told me to send d numb for him.

I told him I got no airtime, and without wasting time I got an alert of recharge card #200, after a while he called and asked why I haven't send d numb yet, and I told him not to worry that I will go to d bank to see my acc officer, he was mute for while then he started shouting and ranting, I just cut d call immediately.

Meanwhile I hav deactivated my ATM with my mobile app during this time.

Pls nls u guys should beware of any trick by these scammers

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Demmocrats(m): 10:56am On Jan 06, 2016
OP sef na correct Lagos dude, bad market grin grin

1 Like

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by vosquare: 10:57am On Jan 06, 2016
grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by johnshagb(m): 10:58am On Jan 06, 2016
Reading...

If na the ATM you want, come and collect it..... Epicgrin grin grin

Modified:
The guy is an ardent scammer. He used the same number as sugar mummy hotline. just search on google without the 009

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by lampardizik(m): 10:58am On Jan 06, 2016
As usual

Story for the gods
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by onosprince(m): 10:59am On Jan 06, 2016
The person way register ur mtn sim, na him wan still scam u... hw u feel say dem take get ur number... the person get 2 job

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Nobody: 10:59am On Jan 06, 2016
That's really nice and wise of you.
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 06, 2016
As usual only greedy people fall prey to scammers

Accept Jesus and be saved .

3 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by loomer: 11:00am On Jan 06, 2016
Na who dem use this kind thing scam before.
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by BTT(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2016
Busted!
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Timoleon(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2016
space 4 sale!
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by spacyzuma(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2016
LOL! Brilliant!
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Dongorgon5(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2016
Praise da Lord!!!!
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by ptolomes: 11:03am On Jan 06, 2016
Well played bro;
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by boss096(m): 11:04am On Jan 06, 2016
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by TweezyR(f): 11:04am On Jan 06, 2016
There won't be any reasonable response and advice cos guys of nowadays are scammers.. G guys 419ners...every of them wants to make quick money...God help us all
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Booty4me: 11:05am On Jan 06, 2016
But what's τ̲̅ђe catch OK fine if Ɣ☺ΰ call out your atm pin and τ̲̅ђe numbers, what happens then since Ɣ☺ΰ did ₪ό̲̣̣̣̥t call out τ̲̅ђe 3digit at τ̲̅ђe back of your card? Just wondering

1 Like

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by BolaLFC(f): 11:05am On Jan 06, 2016
One only needs to be very careful. You shouldn't be in a rush to give out ur details to people. These evil people use different ways. Many people have got this type of message, some fell, others didn't. God help us, let's help ourselves too
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Penuelseun(m): 11:08am On Jan 06, 2016
Some people are very lazy sha, the first thing that will scream scam is that the CBN has no business sending messages about ATM card deactivation to individual customers in the first place. SMH for scammers

1 Like

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by BolaLFC(f): 11:08am On Jan 06, 2016
Booty4me:
But what's τ̲̅ђe catch OK fine if Ɣ☺ΰ call out your atm pin and τ̲̅ђe numbers, what happens then since Ɣ☺ΰ did ₪ό̲̣̣̣̥t call out τ̲̅ђe 3digit at τ̲̅ђe back of your card? Just wondering
When you get such message, just try it and I bet, your life will never remain d same again

8 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by pretydiva(f): 11:09am On Jan 06, 2016
Boys r not smiling these days. The hustle is real
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by ultrazone(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2016
Ok
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by holluwai(m): 11:10am On Jan 06, 2016
They're yet to give me a shot, maybe I'm too street for them grin
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by Booty4me: 11:11am On Jan 06, 2016
BolaLFC:
When you get such message, just try it and I bet, your life will never remain d same again

That's doesn't answer M̶̲̥̅γ question

3 Likes

Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by scarletpearl(f): 11:11am On Jan 06, 2016
BTT:
Busted!
really busted #smile, my friend sis fell victim two weeks ago,her account was emptied, thank her stars she doesn't keep so much money in the account that has an ATM card.
Re: Encounter With A Bvn Scammer by bamac(m): 11:11am On Jan 06, 2016
Lol, you sef get time to have called in the first place, the scam inside that message is very obvious to the blind.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Identifying Scams Online And Avoiding Them / Aliko Dangote Bags Honorary Doctorate In ABU Zaria, Femi Otedola Spotted / How Can I Make One Million Naira Per Year?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.