Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

How To Join The Armed Forces? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Join The Armed Forces? (2327 Views)

I Want To Join The Nigerian Army ,but I have questions / Ghana Armed Forces Recruitment 2017 Application Form- Apply Now / Should I Join The Nigerian Legion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jan 06, 2016
Specifically as a doctor in the military.
I want join the Direct short service commission as a doctor and ten perhaps graduate to Direct regular commission after four to eight years.
I have always had the dream of joining the military and serving humanity as best as I can.
My dream of being part of the NAF has been there for a long time, it was a passing fantasy initially but of recent it has become an obsessive desire.
Anyone with knowledge about joining and what it entails please share. Thanks.

@egift, cramjones, Seun, Gbawe, aljharem,koaster, ehissi, mynd44, ikengawo, ishilove, sincere9gerian, jamace, obinoscopy, fulaman198, afam4eva, jarus,.
And everyone else with valuable info.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by IVORY2009(m): 4:05pm On Jan 06, 2016
It depands on your areas of specialization, yes you can join as a direct short service recuit, a doctor friend @ the ENT session @ the ikoyi military hospital joined via DSS, I will ask him, or you could use google to get for information

Goodluck!
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by ehissi(m): 5:35pm On Jan 07, 2016
fellis:
Specifically as a doctor in the military.
I want join the Direct short service commission as a doctor and ten perhaps graduate to Direct regular commission after four to eight years.
I have always had the dream of joining the military and serving humanity as best as I can.
My dream of being part of the NAF has been there for a long time, it was a passing fantasy initially but of recent it has become an obsessive desire.
Anyone with knowledge about joining and what it entails please share. Thanks.

@egift, cramjones, Seun, Gbawe, aljharem,koaster, ehissi, mynd44, ikengawo, ishilove, sincere9gerian, jamace, obinoscopy, fulaman198, afam4eva, jarus,.
And everyone else with valuable info.

You are welcome to give it a shot!!

Know though that the DSSC - Direct Short Service Commission - is based on availability of vacancy advertised by the different department - they are called Corps - in the military!!

So if the forms are available and there is vacancy for Medical Doctors; you can apply!!

Direct Regular Commission is what you get converted to - not promoted might I add because it is not a rank - after 10years of service!! Its just signifies your intention to remain within the armed forces!!

If you apply, and are successful and eventually get commissioned; you must serve for a minimum of 10 years before you are allowed to leave!! Then after 10years, if you still wish to remain, then you are converted to Direct Regular Commission!! Conversion just requires you filling documentation which will likely include documentation based on your last medicals - that's all!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2016
Thanks to everyone that responded.
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2016
ehissi:

You are welcome to give it a shot!!

Know though that the DSSC - Direct Short Service Commission - is based on availability of vacancy advertised by the different department - they are called Corps - in the military!!

So if the forms are available and there is vacancy for Medical Doctors; you can apply!!

Direct Regular Commission is what you get converted to - not promoted might I add because it is not a rank - after 10years of service!! Its just signifies your intention to remain within the armed forces!!

If you apply, and are successful and eventually get commissioned; you must serve for a minimum of 10 years before you are allowed to leave!! Then after 10years, if you still wish to remain, then you are converted to Direct Regular Commission!! Conversion just requires you filling documentation which will likely include documentation based on your last medicals - that's all!!

Thank you, I really appreciate.
Please will my duties involve being redeployed to places that are far from my family or will I be working in Corps that are in the city/state I live in?
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by ehissi(m): 11:03pm On Jan 07, 2016
fellis:

Thank you, I really appreciate.
Please will my duties involve being redeployed to places that are far from my family or will I be working in Corps that are in the city/state I live in?

Very likely!! You could find yourself just about anywhere but on average; the highest any officer can be found in one unit at a time is 3years - and that is rare - most likely, except on special request by your commander, every 2 years you will get posted!!

Notice, that I said unit, meaning you be in a particular state for quite sometime but moving between different units of the NAF found in that state every 2 to 3 years!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 07, 2016
ehissi:

Very likely!! You could find yourself just about anywhere but on average; the highest any officer can be found in one unit at a time is 3years - and that is rare - most likely, except on special request by your commander, every 2 years you will get posted!!

Notice, that I said unit, meaning you be in a particular state for quite sometime but moving between different units of the NAF found in that state every 2 to 3 years!!
Thanks! smiley
Also,
What type of training am I going to undergo before I begin duties and how long does the training process last?
What is the age limit? I want to be done having kids before I go into it and I dunno if I will be too old by then.
What branch of the armed forces is more organised? With the least amount of nepotism or Godfatherism? Navy, Air force or Army?
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 08, 2016
Ewo! I have drive ehisi away with my one million questions o grin
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by ehissi(m): 6:47am On Jan 09, 2016
fellis:

Thanks! smiley
Also,
What type of training am I going to undergo before I begin duties and how long does the training process last?
What is the age limit? I want to be done having kids before I go into it and I dunno if I will be too old by then.
What branch of the armed forces is more organised? With the least amount of nepotism or Godfatherism? Navy, Air force or Army?

Hmmmmmmm
DSSC is usually just 6months; maximum is 35, though Navy usually insists on a maximum age limit of 30!

Anyone is ok; it government job, so you should expect some things that usually take place in government establishment to take place there, though discipline is a watchword most of the time!

Navy, Airforce is much more preferred because they have treat their personnel a whole lot better than army!! Though the army isn't that bad, its just crowded compared to the Navy and army and they bear much more responsibility within the country and have their tentacles spread over the entire country compared to the others!!

There is nothing wrong with you being pregnant in the service!! Provided you are married already!

Training, beside some academic work with a view to giving you orientation of operations in the military, physical drills, bush camps etc all of which usually take place inside 6months.

The word is that it may change soon but that is what it is for now..........

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by mysteriousman(m): 6:47am On Jan 09, 2016
K
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 09, 2016
ehissi:

Hmmmmmmm
DSSC is usually just 6months; maximum is 35, though Navy usually insists on a maximum age limit of 30!

Anyone is ok; it government job, so you should expect some things that usually take place in government establishment to take place there, though discipline is a watchword most of the time!

Navy, Airforce is much more preferred because they have treat their personnel a whole lot better than army!! Though the army isn't that bad, its just crowded compared to the Navy and army and they bear much more responsibility within the country and have their tentacles spread over the entire country compared to the others!!

There is nothing wrong with you being pregnant in the service!! Provided you are married already!

Training, beside some academic work with a view to giving you orientation of operations in the military, physical drills, bush camps etc all of which usually take place inside 6months.

Many thanks.
You've been tremendously helpful smiley
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by adamskutty(m): 2:54pm On Jan 10, 2016
angry I am a bloody civilian and will always be. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
adamskutty:
angry I am a bloody civilian and will always be. grin grin grin
See this one, common go and join the military and serve your fatherland! tongue
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by adamskutty(m): 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2016
fellis:

See this one, common go and join the military and serve your fatherland! tongue
It is a stressful job and I don't like some stress. I want to stay in an air conditioned office to do my job. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 11, 2016
adamskutty:
It is a stressful job and I don't like some stress. I want to stay in an air conditioned office to do my job. grin
Oh so you think life is all about enjoyment and relaxation? angry
Let me tell you, you have to experience both the good and bad in order to get the full package angry
infact am going to register you as well when am submitting my application. You must join whether you like it or not tongue
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by harmony04(m): 12:08pm On Jan 11, 2016
Plz as an hnd holder what are reqiurement to join NAF
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 11, 2016
When will the form be advertised? any idea?
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
ehissi:

Hmmmmmmm

please, I don't know if this is true or false, I need your clarification. I learnt that NAF and NN does not do conversion for DSSC and only NA does that cos of their need to keep large numbers as a force.

Also, I learnt that to get converted From DSSC to Regular after the expiration of the 10 or 15 years as the case may be, you need big politician or top and high ranking officer to get it done. that it's not successful most times.

pls explain and enlighten me. thanks.
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by ehissi(m): 3:00pm On Jan 11, 2016
Tesiday:

please, I don't know if this is true or false, I need your clarification. I learnt that NAF and NN does not do conversion for DSSC and only NA does that cos of their need to keep large numbers as a force.

Also, I learnt that to get converted From DSSC to Regular after the expiration of the 10 or 15 years as the case may be, you need big politician or top and high ranking officer to get it done. that it's not successful most times.

pls explain and enlighten me. thanks.

False!! DSSC conversion is an administrative matter!! All it requires is that you fill a form; that's all!! Its a commission that is covered by the Armed forces Act of 1990 that covers the entire armed force!!

And it is 10years not 15years!!

The one that maybe a bit tough is the conversion from SSC to Regular commission and that takes place after 6years, written and medical exams and physical drills!! And even that is based on performance, as far as I know, Godfatherism isn't really at work there!!

Note: SSC is done only by the army!!
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
ehissi:

False!! DSSC conversion is an administrative matter!! All it requires is that you fill a form; that's all!! Its a commission that is covered by the Armed forces Act of 1990 that covers the entire armed force!!

And it is 10years not 15years!!

The one that maybe a bit tough is the conversion from SSC to Regular commission and that takes place after 6years, written and medical exams and physical drills!! And even that is based on performance, as far as I know, Godfatherism isn't really at work there!!

Note: SSC is done only by the army!!

Interesting, information is truly and indeed power. Okay, thanks so much. But, how would you rate the success of conversion based on 100%? Do you have idea of when the form will be out? Would you advise me to join the army through the SSC?
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by ehissi(m): 5:01pm On Jan 11, 2016
Tesiday:

Interesting, information is truly and indeed power. Okay, thanks so much. But, how would you rate the success of conversion based on 100%? Do you have idea of when the form will be out? Would you advise me to join the army through the SSC?

Iits 100 over 100 except you have a debilitating disease that won't allow you to continue service!! DSSC conversion is simple, the form is sent to you, you fill it and submit that's all!!

DSSC is mainly for professionals - administrative staff who will do office work - ; SSC is for frontliners - people who are trained specifically for the purpose of going and fighting war!!

Choose whichever suits your future plans!!

Forms will come out when they will come out!!!
Re: How To Join The Armed Forces? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
Thanks a million. I am satisfied and you have helped me made an informed decision. God Bless You.

(1) (Reply)

Faan Recruitment / Vacancy!!! Contract Staff Needed Urgently / First Bank Of Nigeria Limited Job Recruitment (9 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.