Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" (867 Views)

Man Swims On Lekki Road As Flood Takes Over Lagos Island (Watch Video) / Reno Omokri Responds To Wole Soyinka On Invasion Of Privacy / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by IlajeGal1: 12:38am On Jan 07, 2016
Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has slammed Rivers State Government over an allegation that the immediate past governor, now minister of transportation Mr. Rotimi Amaechi allegedly spent N82 million to host him during his 80th birthday. Soyinka reacted to the statement by the Rivers State Commissioner for Information, Dr Austin Tam-George. Below is the statement entitled, “Those who flounder in the sewage of corruption":

“This morning, I saw only the headlines in one or two print media regarding the 80th Birthday dinner to which I was hosted by the former governor of Rivers State, the Honorable Rotimi Amaechi, now Minister of Transportation. I ignored them. It was not, and remains not my business to probe into the catering and logistical implications of the hundreds of institutions and governments all over the world to whom I acknowledge an immense debt of unsolicited recognition over the years.

“Since then however, I have learnt of some unsavory statements by the insecure incumbent of the Rivers State government Lodge. These included a loose invitation to anti-crime agencies to investigate the potential crime of being honoured through any occasion. The unprecedented call by this governor is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent pamphlet publication THE REPUBLIC OF LIARS, and was taken from my address to an anti-corruption global conference that took place in Tunisia two years ago. Those words were: CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK. In this ongoing instance, that expression translates most vividly as “Those who are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure that they splatter sewage in all possible and improbable directions.

“I do however fully support the Wikeleaks call for multi-directional probes. I recommend further that he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee its extension to all international organisations and governments to whom I owe uncountable events of recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners, cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or simply opportunistic flavoring – to which I have submitted myself. The descent to this present level of abominable distractions makes one truly despair. It is one that even I did not envisage when I warned – CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK! Whether it brings honour or dishonour to the nation is another matter – I am saddened, but indifferent. EFCC and company – over to you! You all know where I live."

http://dawntodusknews.com/wole-soyinka-on-80th-birthday-dinner-nyesom-wike-swims-in-the-sewage-of-corruption/
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by crown777(m): 12:45am On Jan 07, 2016
Word...
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by Mologi(m): 12:50am On Jan 07, 2016
82 million for birthday......

Where me wey be say na nairaland dey remind me of my birthday.While God see una

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by Luukasz(m): 12:52am On Jan 07, 2016
Wailers will soon come and start bashing Egbon Wole.
As for wike he has eating more than he can chew and gradually he's political aspirations is going down the drain.
Take or leave it APC will take over Rivers from PDP either by crook or hook.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by Bekwarra(m): 12:57am On Jan 07, 2016
As e dey hot
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by nnachukz(m): 1:04am On Jan 07, 2016
Prof. this one is one you may not have full knowledge of, because you may not know exactly how much Amaechi debited the State to host you. Such document is not open to you so it is just natural to defend Amaechi because you are involve in the whole saga. Fund meant for the public was used to host an individual for personal reasons best known to the governor. We already know that EFCC will not do anything about it even when they have been invited to probe the source of fund for that dinner.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by tubouncen(m): 1:36am On Jan 07, 2016

My question....
What has Amaechi(river state) got to gain by hosting Wole Shoyinka using state fund... Any economic benefit?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by Psalm18: 1:47am On Jan 07, 2016
As someone rightly said except Soyinka was given cash, Wike is wasting time dragging his name. The prof is a global citizen who has achieved much, hosting him to dinner is not an isssue. If Wike wants to squeeze Amaechi I expect him to probe areas like

The rivers rail system
Hospital, schools and other infrastructure amaechi handled.
Then, we can tell if Amaechi is corrupt or not.
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by DeRoyalFranco(m): 2:45am On Jan 07, 2016
Baba dem no sabi where you live. send dem ur address.
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by orunto27: 4:18am On Jan 07, 2016
If I can't govern, no one will. I will involve personalities and mess up every thing.
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by wadetaw202: 5:02am On Jan 07, 2016
As far as Wole Soyinka is concerned, his host-amechi- is a saint, abi? Wole Soyinka's romance with APC politicians is tainting his erstwhile revered image. His image would be done a world of good if he remained neutral-like the Gani Fawehinmi of old.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by Day169: 6:57am On Jan 07, 2016
.. "sewage of corruption"! That's a new metaphor!
Noted.
Re: Wole Soyinka On Birthday Refund:"Nyesom Wike Swims In The Sewage Of Corruption" by criminalmindz: 7:17am On Jan 07, 2016
stupid, useless soyinka. Corrupt writer. If is to attack others he will as if he is clean. Kindly refund rivers money or better off vomit the yam you ate besides ur a gooat

(1) (Reply)

Newspaper Headlines For Today, Thursday, January 7, 2016 / BREAKING: Court Rejects Kanu’s Request For His Seized Passports, Money / Nigeria Army Deploys Newly-acquired Hi-tech Mine Clearing Equipments & Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.