Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,702 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun (857 Views)

2019: New Power Bloc Takes Shape In Southwest - Daily Sun / 'Radio Biafra: Protest Turns Bloody, Four Shot' - Daily Sun / Court Determines Suit Between Nigeria, Biafra On Sept 22 -daily Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by WisdomFlakes: 5:00am On Jan 07, 2016
BY OUR REPORTER ON JANUARY 7, 2016

From Isaac Anumihe, Abuja

NOTWITHSTANDING its prevailing economic crunch, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) yesterday, rated Nigeria’s economy high in the emerging market segment.

Speaking after meeting with bank executives and the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, in Abuja, Manag­ing Director of the Fund, Ms Christine Largade, advised the Federal Government to put solid economic measures in place to strengthen the fi­nancial sector and to channel more resources to grow the real sector of the economy and the Small and Medium Enter­prises (SMEs).

She disclosed that the IMF has had a series of meetings with the representatives of the banking industry and came out with strategic mechanism for sustaining the nation’s banking sector.

“This morning I have been with the CBN governor. I have also been having series of meetings with representa­tives of the banking industry and we have assured our­selves of a strategic defence on how to sustain the banking sector. We also have discussed on how the financial sector can help contribute in financ­ing the economy and sup­port small and medium scale business and development in Nigeria,” she noted, insisting that the financial sector is still strong while advising that the Bureau de Change (BDC) op­eration should be improved upon.

In his remarks, the CBN Governor, Emefiele, com­mended the IMF for visiting Nigeria and the apex bank, adding that during the meeting with Largade, both the CBN and IMF had very fruitful dis­cussions on how it could sup­port the real sector and SMEs in Nigeria.

“Indeed, the banks them­selves have promised to do better in this regard, notwith­standing some of the challeng­es we are presently facing,” Emefiele said.

Lagarde also visited Mother Theresa Orphanage Home in Gwarinpa, Abuja, where she donated $250,000 (N49.25 million) to help cushion the expenses of the home.

Speaking while making the donation, the IMF boss expressed her deep feeling for the children and called on privileged Nigerians to come to the aid of the less privileged in the country.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/imf-rates-nigerias-economy-high/

1 Like

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by Brightology2(m): 5:02am On Jan 07, 2016
Op don't be an agent of change confusion. The topic and d body of the thread does too tally in anyway. I didn't see anywhere in d thread where IMF rated nigeria economy high. Maybe oshogbo weed at work.
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by seunlayi(m): 5:11am On Jan 07, 2016
Before nko?

2 Likes

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by Aufbauh(m): 5:11am On Jan 07, 2016
Not a good news for naysayers and pessimists though like those posters above me.

Must the IMF managing director state unequivocally that the Nigerian economy is still strong before you believe it?

For ease of comprehension, when the nation's financial sector is still strong it implies that the nation can still run her bills from economic integrity purposes.

She makes her input by advising that the real sectors and SMEs be improve as there are the two topmost indices that practically drives any developing economy and have direct impact on the common man.
There should be a better reorganization and coordination of the BDC so as to checkmate our loosed forex trading for an improved financial cohesion.

5 Likes

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by WisdomFlakes: 5:18am On Jan 07, 2016
Brightology2:
Op don't be an agent of change confusion. The topic and d body of the thread does too tally in anyway. I didn't see anywhere in d thread where IMF rated nigeria economy high. Maybe oshogbo weed at work.

If you have any problem with the news report, why not simply direct your dissatisfaction at the Sun Newspaper rather than attacking me?

2 Likes

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by mysteriousman(m): 5:22am On Jan 07, 2016
K
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by phemmie06(m): 5:30am On Jan 07, 2016
grin grin
WisdomFlakes:

If you have any problem with the news report, why not simply direct your dissatisfaction at the Sun Newspaper rather than attacking me?

grin
WisdomFlakes:

1 Like

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by Nobody: 10:27am On Jan 07, 2016
GEJ is working..
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by comos: 11:14am On Jan 07, 2016
GEJ legacy
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by abduljabbar4(m): 11:24am On Jan 07, 2016
Sai Buhari!!! Despite the thievery under gej, Buhari is keeping this nation alive.

comos:
GEJ legacy

Wailers, but if its something bad you will tell us to stop mentioning the otuokke drunkard and face our business.

Brightology2:

Lol! Wailers be like:grin

1 Like

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by Amberon: 11:37am On Jan 07, 2016
yeah
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by comos: 12:23pm On Jan 07, 2016
abduljabbar4:
Sai Buhari!!! Despite the thievery under gej, Buhari is keeping this nation alive.

Wailers, but if its something bad you will tell us to stop mentioning the otuokke drunkard and face our business.

Lol! Wailers be like:grin

I don't think I have time to argue with people like you b/cos I already know which part of the country you are from.
go get proper western education then your contributions will be considered.
Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by abduljabbar4(m): 12:28pm On Jan 07, 2016
comos:

I don't think I have time to argue with people like you b/cos I already know which part of the country you are from.
go get proper western education then your contributions will be considered.

Take am

Re: IMF Rates Nigeria’s Economy High - Daily Sun by seunny4lif(m): 12:31pm On Jan 07, 2016
grin

(1) (Reply)

Federal-government-to-remove-state-of-origin-vice-presiden / Hilarious Picture Of Ajimobi And Akala. / Die Hard PMB Supporters(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.