Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,735 members, 7,824,083 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC (732 Views)

IGP Idris Visits Wike: "You Disrespected Me By Withdrawing MY CSO" - Wike / Bode George: Sheriff Is A Saint Compared To Wike Or Fayose / House Of Reps To Invite EFCC, ICPC To Probe Budget Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by OgunNewsFact: 8:14am On Jan 08, 2016
Soyinka to Wike: You are feeling insecure, invite EFCC

Jonathan Eze
News Scroll 

Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has reacted to a claim by the Rivers state government that a former governor of the state and now Minister of Transport, Mr Rotimi Amaechi spent N82 million to host him while he, Soyinka, was in the state during the last administration.

I did not spend N82m on dinner for Soyinka - Amaechi

Jonathan Eze

Former Rivers state governor and currently Minister of Transport, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, has denied claims by the Rivers state government that he spent N82 million to host Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, to a dinner in the state when he was in office.

The state Commissioner for information had in a statement released on Tuesday alleged that the former governor spent the said amount to organise an 80th birthday dinner party ‎for Soyinka.

In a statement released by his media aide, Mr. David Iyofor, Amaechi denied the allegation, asking the state governor Nyesom Wike to go to court if he found anything incriminating against him.

He said this recent allegation was an attempt by the state governor to distract the Rivers state indigenes from focusing on his election fraud

“Wike must stop these silly distractions. Rivers people are not interested in his lies and witch-hunt. Rather, Rivers people want to know what will happen to their children that he stopped and cancelled the funding of their scholarships abroad. Rivers people want to know why the Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency (RSSDA), an agency setup by law is no longer functioning under Wike.

"Why instead of quality education, a standard set by his predecessor, under Wike, grasses and weeds have taken over the beautiful schools built by Amaechi? Rivers people want to know why the standard health facilities and services put in place by the Amaechi administration are rotting away, not this petty rambling.

"Rivers people want to know why the Wike government does not care about the security of their lives and property, as violence and criminals have taken over. Rivers people want to know why it feels as if there is no government in Rivers State, and this is in spite of the billions of naira that has accrued to the Wike administration and the tens of billions of naira borrowed", the statement added.

In statement he titled: “Those who flounder in the sewage of corruption,” Soyinka lashed out at the incumbent Nyesom Wike-led government whom he described as 'Wikeleaks'.

“This morning, I saw only the headlines in one or two print media regarding the 80th Birthday dinner to which I was hosted by the former governor of Rivers State, the Honorable Rotimi Amaechi, now Minister of Transportation. I ignored them.

"It was not, and remains not my business to probe into the catering and logistical implications of the hundreds of institutions and governments all over the world to whom I acknowledge an immense debt of unsolicited recognition over the years. Since then however, I have learnt of some unsavory statements by the insecure incumbent of the Rivers State government Lodge.

"These included a loose invitation to anti-crime agencies to investigate the potential crime of being honoured through any occasion.

"The unprecedented call by this governor is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent pamphlet publication THE REPUBLIC OF LIARS, and was taken from my address to an anti-corruption global conference that took place in Tunisia two years ago. Those words were: CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK.

"In this ongoing instance, that expression translates most vividly as those who are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure that they splatter sewage in all possible and improbable directions. I do however fully support the Wikeleaks call for multi-directional probes.

"I recommend further that he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee its extension to all international organisations and governments to whom I owe uncountable events of recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners, cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or simply opportunistic flavoring – to which I have submitted myself.

"The descent to this present level of abominable distractions makes one truly despair. It is one that even I did not envisage when I warned – CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK! Whether it brings honour or dishonour to the nation is another matter – I am saddened, but indifferent. EFCC and company – over to you! You all know where I live,” he said.

Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:30am On Jan 08, 2016
Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by Nobody: 8:31am On Jan 08, 2016
Don't mess with this Prof! Madam Shepopotamus of Otuoke didn't fare any better! Her bloodied nose from the encounter with the Prof is not getting healed any moment yet!!!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by merry02(m): 8:38am On Jan 08, 2016
The question is who is alleged and who is talking? Soyinka should not watch his dirty outside

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by Lytech(m): 8:46am On Jan 08, 2016
EFCC do your work... Dont trust this stingy old man... If found guity,remand him like dasuki.if other way round,let him go home.... No one is above the law... All i care is our looted fund been returned....

1 Like

Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by Ayoemrys(m): 8:48am On Jan 08, 2016
dramma continue,nigeria movie now getting interesting,abeg bring my laptop ma i check weda dasukigate part 3 don comot,
Re: Soyinka To Wike: You Are Feeling Insecure, Invite EFCC by Lanretoye(m): 8:48am On Jan 08, 2016
merry02:
The question is who is alleged and who is talking? Soyinka should not watch his dirty outside
..."Wash his dirty outside"
Next time you try to follow issues before you post comments.
The rivers state govt had earlier accused soyinka of receiving cash from the N82m.

(1) (Reply)

#akwaibomispdp Trending On Twitter / US President Obama Appoints Nigerian Adeyemo As National Security Adviser / Most Corrupt Nations Ranking.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.