Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy (27276 Views)

Remove Subsidy, Stimulate Infrastructure, Tinubu Tells Buhari / Ben Murray-Bruce: Nigeria Should Share Work Money Not Oil Money / Remove Subsidy And Crash Your Currency - Dangote (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by grandstar(m): 3:43pm On Jan 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Nop subsidy should never be removed ed but the corrupt and sharp practices arround should be removed. Subsidy is the only thing the Nigerian go t is giving g the ordinary man on the street for free.What else ha e they subsidised for Nigerians nothing .take a look at ur link the cheapest amongst is heavily subsidised I'm on about venuzuella. .If importers are honest then this su side wo t be an issue..The only way round this is build more refineries. Then stop importation.Even at that we still can't buy at that rate go t can do direct su side by not including vat and other taxes.y would the FG not subscribe to this approach our guess is as good as minew. The CABALS they seem to be stronger than the FG
the existence of the subsidy supports the 'cabal'. there is no cabal in diesel which has been deregulated
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by grandstar(m): 3:52pm On Jan 09, 2016
TheAlchemist:
Subsidy removal without a way of breaking collusion by the oil cartel is surely the FG's dilemma!
For subsidy removal to be effective, the government would need to r NNPC mega stations across the country... You can not talk of full deregulation and still maintain price band for the sale of PMS... as long as the downstream market is oligopolistic in nature, the cartel would either collude on a fixed price or reduce their supply of petrol to maintain their abnormal profits.... irrespective of the fall in price of crude oil in the global market.
what u are saying makes no economic sense.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 4:29pm On Jan 09, 2016
Bevista:
Maybe you can use the Internet to educate me. The PPPRA has been updating it template for years now, which normally reflects the price of crude oil, why are we doubting them now?
This is the means they use to scam us.I'm tell g yoy the landing cost cannot be N80.if so let them name the country try they lift it fro..They claim it's India but what's the pump price india?
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 4:30pm On Jan 09, 2016
grandstar:
the existence of the subsidy supports the 'cabal'. there is no cabal in diesel which has been deregulated
Deregulation is not removal of subsidy.it's allowing market force to flow.the govt still pays for the diff I'm cost to importers.the highest users of diesel is the UK.guess what the pump price is.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Nop subsidy should never be removed ed but the corrupt and sharp practices arround should be removed. Subsidy is the only thing the Nigerian go t is giving g the ordinary man on the street for free.What else ha e they subsidised for Nigerians nothing .take a look at ur link the cheapest amongst is heavily subsidised I'm on about venuzuella. .If importers are honest then this su side wo t be an issue..The only way round this is build more refineries. Then stop importation.Even at that we still can't buy at that rate go t can do direct su side by not including vat and other taxes.y would the FG not subscribe to this approach our guess is as good as minew. The CABALS they seem to be stronger than the FG

Even without corruption and cabals, subsidy is a waste. Nigeria economy is too weak to be doing fuel subsidy.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by grandstar(m): 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Deregulation is not removal of subsidy.it's allowing market force to flow.the govt still pays for the diff I'm cost to importers.the highest users of diesel is the UK.guess what the pump price is.
u are totally wrong and what you wrote is incomprehensible. diesel is totally deregulated. no subsidy. in britain diesel is heavily taxed
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 12:23am On Jan 10, 2016
grandstar:
u are totally wrong and what you wrote is incomprehensible. diesel is totally deregulated. no subsidy. in britain diesel is heavily taxed
Why do you guys just assume?I live in England and have driven a diesel car for 5 years I have also driven to the North where they sell Red diesel red cos it's coloured red to Contril it's use ie subsidise for farm machinaries. U come on here to say what I wrote is incomprehensible. I saw you say same thing to some one earlier, my take U are hearing the word incomprehensible first time and miss using it.ask anyone in the UK cost diffrence in red diesel and normal diesel.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 10, 2016
erico2k2:

Why do you guys just assume?I live in England and have driven a diesel car for 5 years I ja e also drove to the North where they sell Red diesel red cos it's coloured red to Co trop it's use ie subsidise for farm machinaries. U come on here to say what I wrote is incomprehensible. I saw yoy say dame thing to so e one 31st my take U are hearing the word incomprehensible first time and miss using it.ask anyone in the UK cost diffrence in red diesel and normal diesel.

Ok
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 1:28pm On Jan 10, 2016
tuale4u:

Even without corruption and cabals, subsidy is a waste. Nigeria economy is too weak to be doing fuel subsidy.
Even weaker not to subsidise it.can we spent %30 of our wages on transport?
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 10, 2016
erico2k2:

Even weaker not to subsidise it.can we spent %30 of our wages on transport?

It is still better to drop subsidy. As at today there is no subsidy.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 2:56pm On Jan 10, 2016
tuale4u:

It is still better to drop subsidy. As at today there is no subsidy.

No offence are U sure U understand what subsidy is,?
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 10, 2016
erico2k2:

No offence are U sure U understand what subsidy is,?

I understand what it is 100%.
I support subsidy of raw materials like fertilizers, i support subsidy on machines like tractors, harvester and other agric machines.
I support subsidy on manufacturing machines and other raw materials.

I am totally against subsidy on Consumption. Petrol is mostly consumption commodity.
So i am totally against subsidy of petrol.

You may argue that small businesses use generators for thier business and also on transportation of thier raw materials and priduct. But d truth is dat 80% of petrol consumes in nigeria are at consumptiom level.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by chyket(m): 6:40pm On Jan 10, 2016
cosby02:

In as much as i wont like to dabble into an argument as to whether you are stating the true position of things. I will love to just ask you if what you highlighted is in tandem with the intent and purpose for which the buses were bought?
You dont need to argue with facts that are easily verifiable
What i highlighted is in tandem with the intent and purpose for which the buses were bought,because the primary aim here is to deploy buses and alleviate the suffering of Nigerian commuters.Most of the previous efforts to float and manage government owned transport companies in the past failed as over 80% of them collapsed and the only credible option here is to partner with reliable transport operators which is what government did and they were deployed through infrastructure bank facilities
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by cosby02(m): 7:00pm On Jan 10, 2016
chyket:
You dont need to argue with facts that are easily verifiable
What i highlighted is in tandem with the intent and purpose for which the buses were bought,because the primary aim here is to deploy buses and alleviate the suffering of Nigerian commuters.Most of the previous efforts to float and manage government owned transport companies in the past failed as over 80% of them collapsed and the only credible option here is to partner with reliable transport operators which is what government did and they were deployed through infrastructure bank facilities
Bros i didnt see anyone of those buses since then. GEJ isnt a total failure, he tried his best but his best wasnt convincing enough. We are watching Buhari too. Same thing will surely happen to him if he fails.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 12:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
tuale4u:

I understand what it is 100%.
I support subsidy of raw materials like fertilizers, i support subsidy on machines like tractors, harvester and other agric machines.
I support subsidy on manufacturing machines and other raw materials.

I am totally against subsidy on Consumption. Petrol is mostly consumption commodity.
So i am totally against subsidy of petrol.

You may argue that small businesses use generators for thier business and also on transportation of thier raw materials and priduct. But d truth is dat 80% of petrol consumes in nigeria are at consumptiom level.
Well ,shouldn't we be advocating for less importation of petrol than removing subsidy?
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jan 11, 2016
erico2k2:

Well ,shouldn't we be advocating for less importation of petrol than removing subsidy?

By December 2018, Nigeria wont import fuel again if everything go on Scheldule for Dangote refinery. Dangote will be refining about 50 million litres of petrol a day.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by erico2k2(m): 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2016
tuale4u:

By December 2018, Nigeria wont import fuel again if everything go on Scheldule for Dangote refinery. Dangote will be refining about 50 million litres of petrol a day.
Ahah so we realy solely on Dangote? Wise up has his cement factory and auger factory made Cement and sugar cheaper?2018 is 2 yrs frm nkw we can crumble in 9 months the way we are going
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by juman(m): 3:30pm On May 12, 2017

Venezuala economy is bleeding right now. They are d worst hit by d drop in oil price because of thier huge social welfare programs

Venezuala need a new set of leaders.
The present government system is bad, they should rather follow Lula da Silva policies when he was president.
Re: Why Nigeria should remove Subsidy now. Saudi Arabia & UAE have dropped Subsidy by grandstar(m): 8:04pm On Dec 15, 2018
There was really no option.

Energy subsidies in many of these rich gulf Arab states gulp as much as 5% of GDP! This waste simply can't continue considering the high standard of living they enjoy.

The gulf monarchy only claim to legitimacy has been through brlbery through over generous entitlements such as high paying civil service jobs to practically everyone of their citizens that demand one such as Kuwait where 93% of the citizenry work for the state.

Another is a unshakeable peg or their currencies to the dollar which is now financially ruinous due to the massive drop in the price of crude oil over the past 4 years leading to depletion of fotiegn reserves.

The Bahrain currency would have been forced to devalue recently if other gulf states did not come to their rescue.

If they hadnt and Bahraini currencyl fell, speculators would have attacked other fragile gulf currencies especially the Saudi riyal. There would have been a crises.

Expect more reforms in the Gulf states.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Garba Shehu: Why Shiites Protesters Are Not Intelligent / Simon Ekpa Was Paid $1M To Destroy Obi’s Chances — Ohanaeze / 7 Notable Achievements Of Okonjo-iweala And Alison-madueke In The Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.