Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,037 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations (2400 Views)

Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees / Top 10 Most Employable Qualities For Nigerian Graduates / Are NOUN Degrees Well Recognised By Major Employers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 2:49pm On Jan 08, 2016
A Latin maxim says “Nemo dat quod non habet”, you can’t give what you don’t have. It is more succinctly and invariably affirmed with the doctrine of garbage in garbage out. There is no gainsaying the fact that value is earned and achieved and until you have it, you cannot offer it. In times past, possession of Degree certificates and its likes was the mainstay and the sole ticket for job employment. Captains of industries did not blink their eyes neither did they lose sleep because the quality of Education was of great standard and comparable with that of Europe and America. Fast forward to this era, the crave for degrees is now intense while the value continues to nosedive. We ‘struggle’ to get these Certificates at the expense of the expected value content. When weighed on a scale, these certificates far outweigh their expected value underlying with the bearer(s) i.e the ability trait. Practical examples are the shambolic performances we experience daily in our Job interviews. It underscores the extent to which our educational system and values has eroded away and drifted from being value oriented to certificate oriented.

This continued embarrassment has made employers of labour to shift the goal post in other to stay afloat in the competitive global market as we are aware that an intelligent and vibrant workforce is a value laden asset to any organization for growth and success sustainability. The hurdles of shortlisting, job tests and interviews is an arduos task no organization wants to be seen as an activity in futility. Therefore, they have unwritten and clear expectations desired beyond that your degree certificate. Once you have them, be assured of a place on their table of men. These 3 necessary qualities that are subject to test are;

1. Persuasiveness

This is your ability or power of conviction, i.e convincing someone to believe in you and the stuff you are made of. The Cover letter or Expression of interest is your window of opportunity to perfect thus art. In writing this, you need to tailor your career objective with the company/organization’s Vision and Mission. Tell them how much you know about them and their manpower needs and how you stand as the suitable one to fill the gap.

Capture their interest with your past working experience in similar or diverse capacity. Where there is none, think of those non-profitable services or work you did in your youth and students associations, and NYSC group or personal CDS. Those experiences count. Be firm to make that bold statement ‘I am the right Candidate’ with convincing points. It will register in their conscious minds that you possess the persuasive skill to attract business deals, contracts, and to build PRs.

2. Ambition

Its becoming a general belief that showing or expression of Ambition to Employers kills ones chances. The reverse is the case here, Ambition in this context goes beyond the wishful thinking of ‘I want/intend to become a Director in the next 5 or 10 years’ when asked what you want to become in the foreseeable future in the organization.

What then expresses your Ambition better? It is the additional values or what I call the marginal value you’ve added to yourself aside your degree certificate. It is that your NIM, HSE, PMP, ICAN, ACAA, and Computer Proficiency and all other Institutes’ Programmes Proficiency Certificates you got trained and certified in. Multiple evidences that summarizes your ability in one bit is what they seek. So if you are lacking in all of these proficiency skills/knowlegde without having one or two, you will pass easily as one without any AMBITION and one who is less hungry for success and self development.

As Christopher Morley puts it “There are three ingredients in the good life, learning, earning and yearning” So if you wish to be a valuable asset to your prospective workplace, show disposition to learning and yearning, seek to add more value to yourself so as to stand out as that beautiful bride.

3. Smartness

The most important attitude and quality that drives success is smartness. It cuts across brilliance to dine with wisdom and intelligence. A colleague of mine once asked me teasingly where I prepared my ‘medicine’ for hardwork that I always get commended at work. In response, I told him simply that I don’t work hard rather I work smart. By working smart, I told him that I think ahead and devise means to ease the workloads for myself.

Job aptitude tests are primarily, test of smartness than of knowledge. They are usually power tests with incommensurate time duration. Be informed that you are not expected to attempt all the questions neither are you expected to answer the questions in sequential order. Its interesting to note that the test items are usually mixed up with items of High difficulty index and low difficulty index. Those with high difficulty index usually have high distracter index. Don’t waste your time fiddling around the difficult test items as they are meant to distract you while time ticks away. Take on the ones you are most knowledgeable with and hit the mark. The time duration always allotted is usually enough for the number of questions you need to answer to hit the expected mark. Be smart.

Also, during interview sessions, sell yourself by asking smart question whenever the panel demands for any. If you are caught up in the web of ‘how do I ask smart questions in an interview?’ George Bernard Shaw has this to say on the power of questions “Some men see things as they are, and say, ‘why? I dream of things that never were and say, why not?” So tailor your question in the light of George Bernard Shaws submission.

Remember to ‘wash’ it when you land that job and parcel my bottle of Nestle water to my dormot.

GOODLUCK and SUCCESS
Source==>http://acadajobs.com/beyond-degrees-3-qualities-you-need-to-meet-industry-expectations/
Cc: Lalasticlala , Seun

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by HenryThegreat1(m): 3:12pm On Jan 08, 2016
I love dat smartness part of ur write up. Even in job search be smart. One tin is to get d job anoda is to do d job well.
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 3:21pm On Jan 08, 2016
HenryThegreat1:
I love dat smartness part of ur write up. Even in job search be smart. One tin is to get d job anoda is to do d job well.
Yes
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by promo4(m): 3:41pm On Jan 08, 2016
Wow..nice writeup.
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 4:28pm On Jan 08, 2016
promo4:
Wow..nice writeup.
All credits go to acadajobs.com
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by olafum1(m): 7:07pm On Jan 08, 2016
good ones
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2016
olafum1:
good ones
thank you
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by ademasta(m): 11:23pm On Jan 08, 2016
God bless you and acadajobs.com
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 12:30am On Jan 09, 2016
ademasta:
God bless you and acadajobs.com
Thanks Ademasta

1 Like

Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 6:18am On Jan 09, 2016
hmmm
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by Bsmartt(m): 8:59am On Jan 09, 2016
My recommendations goes thus,
1. Learn additional skill every quarter I.e 4 skills a year. for example, International Language other than English.
2. Start a community development program (Volunteer ) in your area of interest.
3. Searching for international grants /fellowships /scholarship online. for example, and opportunitydesk.org
4. Lastly Set a goal in order to achieved the aforementioned.

1 Like

Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by Lanretoye(m): 9:11am On Jan 09, 2016
All these wahala to much,if it is not about a "winning CV",it is something else...the poster above me said you should aquire 4 skills a year,so In 4 years you would have learnt 16 skills,because of what?...
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 10:16am On Jan 09, 2016
Bsmartt:
My recommendations goes thus,
1. Learn additional skill every quarter I.e 4 skills a year. for example, International Language other than English.
2. Start a community development program (Volunteer ) in your area of interest.
3. Searching for international grants /fellowships /scholarship online. for example, and opportunitydesk.org
4. Lastly Set a goal in order to achieved the aforementioned.
I like your recommendatons
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 10:17am On Jan 09, 2016
Lanretoye:
All these wahala to much,if it is not about a "winning CV",it is something else...the poster above me said you should aquire 4 skills a year,so In 4 years you would have learnt 16 skills,because of what?...
You are funny, additional skills are vital
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 3:45pm On Jan 09, 2016
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by virtousB: 11:35pm On Jan 09, 2016
Nice!
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 3:11pm On Jan 10, 2016
virtousB:
Nice!
yeah
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 11:04am On Jan 19, 2016
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by Fortune02(m): 11:46am On Jan 19, 2016
Very helpful post. Thanks Op
Re: After Degrees, 3 Qualities You Need To Meet Industry Expectations by cyberwaver(m): 7:15am On Jan 20, 2016
Fortune02:
Very helpful post. Thanks Op
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Drilldeep Oil And Gas Company Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (18 Positions) / I Am Frustrated And Need Help / Kindly Apply If You're Available For Immediate Employment.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.