Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,589 members, 7,816,453 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali (18130 Views)

FG Secures 13% Derivation Mining Revenue For States / Custom Boss Hamid Ali Generate N903bn Revenue In Less Than 7 Month - Leadership / Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by anonimi: 1:23pm On Jan 09, 2016
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by onegig(m): 1:26pm On Jan 09, 2016
4Play:

[url]
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/customs-generates-n977-09bn-revenue-in-2014/[/url]

977 billion Naira in 2014 and 903 billion Naira in 2015. Revenues have clearly dropped and this fits in with my long-running theme that there is little evidence that revenue collection is improving now we are suppossedly in or moving towards a zero-corruption era.

Olodos.

2015 was a very uncertain year. As early as January most companies had stopped investment projects and some delayed their expansion plans due to the uncertainty of the presidential elections.

You also need to know that year on year growth rate for the country dropped from around 6.5 to around 4.6 based on projections.

41 items were banned from accessing for ex for imports also.

Increased dollar to naira exchange rate deterred most importers from buying more.

Add all these to the drastic fall in oil prices and reduced spending and you would know this is a relatively good performance.

If you want to criticize. Do it with facts, not heresays.

cc: chudionu58

I personally import computer items and know for a fact. My imports dropped by at least 65% due to the increased dollar rate in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by ceejayluv(m): 1:30pm On Jan 09, 2016
That's a decrease compared to 2014 revenue of 977 billion
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/customs-generates-n977-09bn-revenue-in-2014/
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by mfm04622: 1:34pm On Jan 09, 2016
Demdem2:

Under his leadership, everything is expected to go to TSA so u can be rest assured that it's in govt account. The days of undeclared monies and loopholes is over.

Customs officers are still Short-changing the govt! They will ask you to pay some amount in cash and then some to govt account. If you don't cooperate, you container will continue to stay in port, incurring demurrage!

1 Like

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by 4Play(m): 1:34pm On Jan 09, 2016
DropShot:

Have you considered that 41 items have resulted in loss of over N200bn in 2015?

If that fact is taken into consideration, the customs has done better in 2015 than in 2014 and we should expect even better performance in 2016.

The claim that 240bn Naira would have been generated from those banned items is not a fact but an opinion or a hypothetical. Facts matter more than hypotheticals. How is the 240bn Naira even arrived at?

If you are going to use hypotheticals, have you pondered the implication of policy incoherence which your acceptance of the Cusoms boss views entail? The CBN, with the blessing of the FG, banned the import of 41 items to preserve Naira value as it concluded that failing this, it would cause a collapse of Naira and grave economic hardship. If that position is right, then it is inconceivable we would be able to afford to import as many products as we have so far with the ban in place. The implication would have been lesser import duties.

Has anyone also considered the implications of currency depreciation and inflation in judging these nominal amounts? 970bn Naira in 2014 is not the equivalent of 970bn Naira in 2015.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by chudionu58(f): 1:38pm On Jan 09, 2016
Freshboi:

Why are you wailing? Revenue of N240 billion was lost due CBN policies. Two, he has not spent up to a year.
Wailing back to back!!!
My questions are:
1. Why should the first set of posters shower praises since he has not spent up to one. year!
2. Why should Hameed Alli complain about CBN's policy, since it's this administration's way of "strenghtening the economy"
3. Do you factor potential revenues losses due controllable circumstances as a basis to claim "we could have"?

2 Likes

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by Davidegede: 1:43pm On Jan 09, 2016
Nigerians shuldnt jubilate o .....d more customs make d more holes they create in our pockets. all d money made my customs r transferred 2 goods causing high cost of goods. d govt ve simply taken those billions frm its ppl & they dia hailing him. .....wat nonsense,a govt dat delights in taxing taxing & heavily taxing her ppl. if a govt wants 2 show productivity; let them produce in agriculture & sell 2 other countries & then tell us how much they made. not extorting d ppl calling it taxes & duties.....mtcheeww
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by 4Play(m): 1:48pm On Jan 09, 2016
onegig:

Olodos.

2015 was a very uncertain year. As early as January most companies had stopped investment projects and some delayed their expansion plans due to the uncertainty of the presidential elections.

You also need to know that year on year growth rate for the country dropped from around 6.5 to around 4.6 based on projections.

41 items were banned from accessing for ex for imports also.Increased dollar to naira exchange rate deterred most importers from buying more.

Add all these to the drastic fall in oil prices and reduced spending and you would know this is a relatively good performance. If you want to criticize. Do it with facts, not heresays.

Right, you unlettered buffoon - can you cite which part of the following is hearsay:
977 billion Naira in 2014 and 903 billion Naira in 2015. Revenues have clearly dropped and this fits in with my long-running theme that there is little evidence that revenue collection is improving now we are suppossedly in or moving towards a zero-corruption era.

Nigeria's revenue collection is not improving and this is after we have been told that the previous regime stole $20bn in 18 months and $10bn for the 2015 elections. Look at this story for instance:
Nigeria has lost a staggering N1.4 trillion on import waivers over the last there years and not N171 billion as claimed by finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
https://www.naij.com/57136.htmlNow that thieves in the previous regime have been ejected, things should be improving instead of hearing an ever growing mountain of excuses.

Yes, 2015 was a difficult year. But we were beguiled with stories about how trillions of Naira was being lost because of corruption. Now that you have changed course, you are now telling us revenue collection cannot be improved as things are hard. When will you people realise that this government and the last are 2 cheeks of the same bu-tt?

3 Likes

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by 4Play(m): 1:53pm On Jan 09, 2016
mfm04622:

Customs officers are still Short-changing the govt! They will ask you to pay some amount in cash and then some to govt account. If you don't cooperate, you container will continue to stay in port, incurring demurrage!
Don't mind these praise singers. This is the same way some Nigerians were praising GEJ. The way to be patriotic is to ask tough questions of your government not praise singing and accepting at face value excuses.

People will tell you that extortion continues unabated at the ports. It's hard to change ingrained corrupt attitudes and so you need to constantly put their feet to the fire and not shower praises on government officials.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by irondome: 1:56pm On Jan 09, 2016
chudionu58:
Thanks very much! you just took it from my mouth. They are singing praises for generating less than the previous year, also they want us to glorify the new customs boss for this figures despite coming to office in August!
APC supporters sef!

And it was so convenient to compare the 2 years without recourse to oil revenues across the 2 years. A breakdown of last year's custom revenue clearly indicated that the bulk of it came from oil. On the other hand, the bulk of this year's custom revenue came from non-oil sectors, with amount generated from the oil sector dropping significantly.
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by OGOg: 2:03pm On Jan 09, 2016
4Play:

Don't mind these praise singers. This is the same way some Nigerians were praising GEJ. The way to be patriotic is to ask tough questions of your government not praise singing and accepting at face value excuses.

People will tell you that extortion continues unabated at the ports. It's hard to change ingrained corrupt attitudes and so you need to constantly put their feet to the fire and not shower praises on government officials.
Chairman, your insight in economics is amazing,
I sincerely believe u may be technically more sound than kemi adeosun
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by gagewonda(m): 2:10pm On Jan 09, 2016
Demdem2:

U Av a good point there no doubt.
However, if we are to factor in the fact that between January and August and when Ali took over, customs was declaring whatever she deemed fit including unnecessary waivers that has been lifted now coupled with excessive loopholes associated with our collection system, I feel it's fair to say that a minimum of a thrillion naira shouldn't be difficult to meet. Am confident it will be surpassed significantly.
I just laugh wen pple say things dey knw notin about wit so much confidence like wat u just said who eva told u customs declared wat eva it deemed fit do u tink d e collection system started wen ali came on board? Im nt here to argue bt pls say wat u can defend wit hard facts rather than tins to support ur skewed sentiments. Customs surpassed dis same amount a couple of years ago under dikko also. Even d so called waiver abuse wasn't even from d customs bt rather from d ruling govt as at den becos waivers come from d minister of finance. Customs only effect wat eva waiver has been granted anybody learn d true facts befre u conclude. Dis is still part of d negative impression d CG was talking abt though so I don't blame u
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by cocu25(m): 2:18pm On Jan 09, 2016
REMITA just made 9.03 billion naira
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by DropShot: 2:24pm On Jan 09, 2016
4Play:

The claim that 240bn Naira would have been generated from those banned items is not a fact but an opinion or a hypothetical. Facts matter more than hypotheticals. How is the 240bn Naira even arrived at?

If you are going to use hypotheticals, have you pondered the implication of policy incoherence which your acceptance of the Cusoms boss views entail? The CBN, with the blessing of the FG, banned the import of 41 items to preserve Naira value as it concluded that failing this, it would cause a collapse of Naira and grave economic hardship. If that position is right, then it is inconceivable we would be able to afford to import as many products as we have so far with the ban in place. The implication would have been lesser import duties.

Has anyone also considered the implications of currency depreciation and inflation in judging these nominal amounts? 970bn Naira in 2014 is not the equivalent of 970bn Naira in 2015.
Based on historical facts of what was generated by those 41 items in the past, what was "lost" due to the ban on those items could be estimated. I don't expect anyone to argue against that position.

To improve income from Customs will not necessarily be from increase in the size of our imports. Blocking porous channels, improving efficiency as well as full implementation of TSA will do that.

Bringing time value of money to this discussion is out of point and will unnecessarily complicate the debate.
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by femex12: 2:27pm On Jan 09, 2016
cry
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by 175(m): 2:52pm On Jan 09, 2016
Kyase:
created same topic some days ago, make I see which dem go favour pass
https://www.nairaland.com/2848175/customs-collects-n903bn-revenue-2015
Cc 175 come help me dey observe abeg
Observation mode ACTIVATED. . .I dey watch dem back to back now! gringrin
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by Kyase(m): 3:02pm On Jan 09, 2016
I swear

175:

Observation mode ACTIVATED. . .I dey watch dem back to back now! gringrin
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by drnoel: 3:24pm On Jan 09, 2016
Demdem2:
[s]Gradually but surely we are having a custom service we all will be proud off. Ali was an excellent choice from Buhari to head this service. That is why I keep saying that let Buhari continue to govern while wailers continue to wail aimlessly till 2023. I have no doubt that expectations from customs for the year 2016 to fund the budget will be met.
Nigeria is currently in the hands of good and competent hands no doubt.[/s]

bros, thats what one should do to ur statement. U dont jump into conclusion yet till we see their hand
Re: Customs Collects N903bn Revenue For 2015 – Ali by sunsewa: 4:21pm On Jan 09, 2016
Atleast 5% formular was not applied in considerations dcg and Acg.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gbagada Residents Contribute To Fix Their Dilapidated Roads (Photo) / Security: South-west Governors Pool 100 Vehicles For Regional Patrol / Thugs Attack PDP Members In Osun, Monarch Fumes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.