Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,425 members, 7,812,248 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please (3853 Views)

Help Resolve This Please.. (urgent) / Issues With Obd Port, Pls Help Resolve. / Need Help To Resolve Error Code C1201 In 2010 Rav4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 10:26am On Jan 09, 2016
Hello all,

I have a Toyota camry 1999 4 plugs engine. The check light came up recently and I took the car for scanning and this code 'P0340 Camshaft position sensor A circuit Bank 1 or Single sensor' . I Google this code went to my Mechanic that I want my camshaft sensor to be replaced. Though, I don't have difficulty in starting the ignition and the car did not stall. Now we replace the the sensor and the check light disappear. I used the car through out yesterday morning and afternoon but at evening the check light was on again.

I did another scan and the same code P0340 came up again.. please what could be wrong again? Is it that the replaced sensor is faulty again or I we missing out something.... please I need your support on want to do or check. ..

Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by Amono: 10:40am On Jan 09, 2016
your timing marks are off by a few degrees. Have your timing set properly. P.s there was nothing wrong with your previous can sensor.
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 10:44am On Jan 09, 2016
Amono:
your timing marks are off by a few degrees. Have your timing set properly. P.s there was nothing wrong with your previous can sensor.

Okay... but sorry to ask... what I know is if the timing is not properly set, the car will not start... please explain further. . Thanks
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by mayor2013: 11:06am On Jan 09, 2016
gateleo:
Hello all,

I have a Toyota camry 1999 4 plugs engine. The check light came up recently and I took the car for scanning and this code 'P0340 Camshaft position sensor A circuit Bank 1 or Single sensor' . I Google this code went to my Mechanic that I want my camshaft sensor to be replaced. Though, I don't have difficulty in starting the ignition and the car did not stall. Now we replace the the sensor and the check light disappear. I used the car through out yesterday morning and afternoon but at evening the check light was on again.

I did another scan and the same code P0340 came up again.. please what could be wrong again? Is it that the replaced sensor is faulty again or I we missing out something.... please I need your support on want to do or check. ..

Did you get a known good cam sensor? By the way the second pix showed is the speed refernce mark sensor
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 11:18am On Jan 09, 2016
mayor2013:

Did you get a known good cam sensor? By the way the second pix showed is the speed refernce mark sensor

Sincerely that was the question I asked my mech...he told me once the check light is off, then the sensor is OK.
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by Amono: 11:46am On Jan 09, 2016
mayor2013:

in simpler terms sir. (crank shaft position sensor)
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 11:52am On Jan 09, 2016
Amono:

Please explain what you mean by my timing marks are off by a few degree?
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by depair: 12:11pm On Jan 09, 2016
if u had ur timing belt replaced or worked on it possible the timing is not properly set. your picture is the sensor
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by mayor2013: 12:14pm On Jan 09, 2016
Amono:

in simpler terms sir. (crank shaft position sensor)

Thanks. The "Bosch" family says it as that
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 12:17pm On Jan 09, 2016
depair:
if u had ur timing belt replaced or worked on it possible the timing is not properly set. your picture is the sensor

Yes i replaced my timing belt recently but my question is if the timing is not properly set will the engine start? I need answers to this question.

Thanks
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by depair: 12:20pm On Jan 09, 2016
yea the engine ll start
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2016
depair:
yea the engine ll start

Ok
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2016
@depair n Amono, the timing was readjusted today and the check light went off but came up again after 30 minutes of driving. I rescaned and the same code P0340 was up.

Please what can I do again. More contributions and advice pleaseeeeee...
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 8:42pm On Jan 09, 2016
More
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by conyema12(m): 9:27pm On Jan 09, 2016
Am currently having the same code on my 2006 toyota rav4
I changed the O2 sensor and spark plugs cos my scanner pointed to that direction, drove it for 30mins and the P0010 ( Camshaft position actuator circuit/ open bank 1

Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2016
conyema12:
I changed the O2 sensor and spark plugs cos my scanner pointed to that direction, drove it for 30mins and the P0010 ( Camshaft position actuator circuit/ open bank 1

Still waiting for more suggestions
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by adanny01(m): 7:17am On Jan 10, 2016
[quote author=gateleo post=41826560]

Still waiting for more suggestions [/quote

Timing may still not be where it is supposed to be. You should have noticed reduced engine power or unstable engine idle and probably difficulty to start.
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:46am On Jan 10, 2016
conyema12:

Negligence, connect the cam sensor, it's not connected or harness is broken.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8JGdePkmKk6d_OGwimfVqpf_UGzzMBNwxKDB_jStIo-Mx5Fdkpg[/img]
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:50am On Jan 10, 2016
gateleo:
@depair n Amono, the timing was readjusted today and the check light went off but came up again after 30 minutes of driving. I rescaned and the same code P0340 was up.

Please what can I do again. More contributions and advice pleaseeeeee...
tell your mechanic to open up the timing belt cover, if it falls short of this, code might come back. Also check if cam sensor is loose or dangling
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRn5mt41wAOhD26IYkFKPzW9oL0sBhfgcqa6gkbJyguzzQ_VDrz[/img]
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 7:59am On Jan 10, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

tell your mechanic to open up the timing belt cover, if it falls short of this, code might come back. Also check if cam sensor is loose or dangling
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRn5mt41wAOhD26IYkFKPzW9oL0sBhfgcqa6gkbJyguzzQ_VDrz[/img]

Okay I will.....thanks Oga Gazzuzz
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2016
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by gateleo(m): 10:27pm On Jan 11, 2016
Please I need a good mechanic in Ibadan who can help re-align the timing of my Toyota Cary 1999.

Thanks
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by Abdomox: 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2020
Please what was the solution to this P0340
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
Abdomox:
Please what was the solution to this P0340

Timing marks off , or variable timing issues

1 Like

Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by Blackbishop(m): 7:58am On Dec 10, 2020
Boss apart from the timing, baba go for a new sensor it will save you this stress.

From experience the toks will work briefly, I changed one 2 days ago for a customer from Ibadan and it was display ing timing over retarded. I went for ladipo own and after driving from my workshop to where he's staying in lag a drive of over 2hours according to him, the check engine light came up again

The next day I scanned again and it was the same code, I remove and went for a new one and since then the light is not back again .

1 Like

Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:07am On Dec 10, 2020
Blackbishop:
Boss apart from the timing, baba go for a new sensor it will save you this stress.

From experience the toks will work briefly, I changed one 2 days ago from a customer from Ibadan and it was display timing over retarded. I went for ladipo own and after driving from my workshop to where he's staying in lag a drive of over 2hours according to him, the check engine light came up again

The next day I scanned again and it was the same code, I remove and went for a new one and since then the light is not back again .

What vehicle?
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by Blackbishop(m): 1:52pm On Dec 10, 2020
GAZZUZZ:

What vehicle?

Corolla 05
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by autologic: 7:22pm On Dec 10, 2020
Blackbishop:

From experience the toks will work briefly, I changed one 2 days ago for a customer from Ibadan and it was display ing timing over retarded. I went for ladipo own and after driving from my workshop to where he's staying in lag a drive of over 2hours according to him, the check engine light came up again

Not too good approach to tackle issue ,more or less like part throwing method , if u can find a way to check the signal and understand how a known good supposed be , u will see the culprit staring at you korokoro
Re: Help Resolve this Code P0340 Please by switosman(m): 10:00pm On Dec 10, 2020
Also check the ivtec oil selonoid switch.

(1) (Reply)

Uber Limits U.K. Driver Hours In Response To Safety Concerns / Why Is Toyota Avalon Uncommon? / What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.